Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Jeanne has the scariest face :ohdear:

I can not help but wonder if Coyote's tooth might play some role in this chapter. Of course, I have no idea if Annie brought it with her or even if she would have any access to it while stuck in ethereal form. I don't think she has any training in its use yet, either, but maybe Parley could do something with it?

<ninja edit> Helloo new page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kismet posted:

I honestly think you're reading way too much into that scene. Reynardine is a trickster, a wild animal, and a bit of a dick. Given the choice between languishing in chains with an old body and a gimped leg for god only knows how long, or leaping into the young teenage daughter of a lady he once had the hots for, he went for Annie. She wouldn't have died so long as he hung out in her body, and I doubt he was thinking that far ahead when an opportunity to escape presented itself.

Actually, I remember reading somewhere that when Reynardine possesses someone's body they "die" (their consciousness does anyway) pretty much immediately.

<ninja edit> Think this was from Tom's formspring

Reynardine's body-snatching powers, loving how do they work? posted:

Q. Does someone die the instant Reynardine takes over their body, or are they still conscious on some level until he exits the body?

A. The theory is the latter, but in practice it is the former.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 30, 2010

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Geekner posted:

Those eyebrows...

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Elftor posted:

It looks like they teleported to an identical set of steps, just without Annie and Kat there. Or did they teleport somewhere and then teleport back to the same steps a second later? I'm a little confused and possibly retarded.

I think Parley was just testing her powers a bit and teleported somewhere and back again; Annie and Kat are just out of the frame.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

This behaviour is a little confusing in light of how she handed the Kat-Aly situation:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=247

Awkwardness aside, she at least seemed to understand that the new lovebirds would appreciate some time alone. What's changed since then?

What's changed? It's probably just that Annie is much closer and more sensitive to Kat than she is to Parley and Smitty. I don't get the impression that she sees the two much outside of Medium training.

<edit> I mean, hell, Parley didn't even know who Kat was at the beginning of the chapter. They're just not in the same social circles (if Annie could be said to exist in one at all).

<double edit> VVV That too. VVV

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 19, 2010

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

According to wikipedia, the fount of all knowledge...

wiki posted:

Reynardine is a traditional English ballad; in versions most commonly sung and recorded today, Reynardine is a werefox who attracts beautiful women to him so that he can take them away to his castle.

It's probably just a nickname she gave to tease him for his advances.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Annie :sigh:. I'm sure Kat would help you with your physics homework if you just asked.

Anyone else a little confused as to where this chapter is going? So far we have Surma leading Reynard on, some awkward moments with Jack, and now Annie (probably) about to abuse Kat's trust again.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Interesting development. Up until now the main character seemed to be the sincere, dedicated type and difficulty at school was not expected. Now she both took her friend's homework without permission and tries to copy it. Strange.

She's been shown cheating off of Kat's work before and breaks the rules regularly. This is not exactly a new character development, just a further exploration of one.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

God drat that's a good comeback. I was getting a little disinterested in this chapter, but now I'm back :f5:-ing like nobody's business.

It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. The question I have is whether this is going to wreck what relationship Annie and Renard had or whether the other shoe has yet to drop.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

And now we know the meaning behind Reynard's line "and this means... she is gone". He knew what would/had happened between Annie and her mother. He knew that Annie being at the school meant that Surma was dead.

e;fb ^^^

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If this is Blinker Stone fire, it doesn't actually burn.

If it isn't then...

:ssj:

IIRC it's been mentioned that the stone is more of a lens for etheric powers rather than a source. I have a suspicion that if she wants it to burn, it burns.

I think someone (Eglamore?) may have just gotten toasted :ohdear:.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mirage posted:

I do enjoy reading your barely-restrained irritation into the goofy questions you get, Tom. It's even more fun to read your answers in Alan Rickman's voice. But Formspring shouldn't be a chore.

You might just throttle back and answer the questions which aren't pants-on-head retarded and/or spergbots who want to know whether Annie could REALLY cut the earth in two with the Coyote Tooth. Which would probably free up a ton of your time.

I think the problem is that to answer just the good questions you still have to sift through the ocean of inane bullshit.

Yesterday's 12x"This has not been shown in the comic" was amusing but if it's a chore I wouldn't hold it against Tea-san if he simply dropped it altogether.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Annie owes her very existence to some ancient guy who was willing to burn his dick in order to get his swerve on.

Am I a bad person for immediately thinking of this :nws:Oglaf:nws: after reading Coyote's line?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Also, she didn't actually agree to stay. Coyote made the offer, and her reply was a confirmation of the offer, not an acceptance. Coyote has chosen to misinterpret this, but she isn't for sure staying yet.

I don't think she ever thought the offer would be made. In all her previous encounters with Coyote he has been insistent on her going back to the Court despite her obvious desire to stay in the forest and learn more from him.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

I think EoRaptor was right; he gave up a significant power and doesn't want the rest of the forest to know he's been weakened.

Either this or he thinks (probably rightly) that the other beings of the forest would not respond well to the knowledge that he gave a human such a gift / power. Ysengrin, for one, would certainly be enraged by the very idea of a human receiving a gift from Coyote.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Man, here I thought all these new posts were about today's update but no :ughh:.

Anyhow, I must be as dense as a neutron star because I was re-reading book 2 and just now connected the whole "descendant of a fire elemental" thing and Annie's encounter with Martin in chapter 16.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

No Kat, you can't keep it in your room. Also the :stare: from Annie and then Kat is the best response I could have hoped for.

Look at her petting that (relatively) itty bitty claw :3:

Kat's sudden realization totally makes the page.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, then, this whole plot line is confusing me. Whatever!

The humans wear the suppressors and put the decoy transmitters on the robots, who presumably will then bumble around the dorms in a "beep boop I am a soft human" fashion. The girls then make their escape when the robots would normally leave. The tracking signals are still coming from the dorms and Lindsay has poor eyesight so she thinks they are the robots leaving.

Unrelated, but the bit about Kat on Tom's twitter page today is :psyduck: on multiple levels.

<edit> VVV I figured it was someone on the GC forums, I forgot that the comments section existed. Probably for the best.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 8, 2011

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Huh, I wasnt imagining it. After going back to the last chapter their proportions have changed quite a bit.

I've been wondering for a while now how much of the change we've been seeing in the characters is Tom portraying their aging and how much is simply the evolution of his style.

Also, is it just me or is Annie actually reaching out to touch someone else (other than Kat) something of a new thing?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Cozz posted:

Oh hello there book 3! I did not expect to receive you on a Sunday morning, but this is a pleasant surprise.

Amazon has my copy ready to go but UPS hasn't picked it up yet :saddowns:. Still, it is coming out way earlier than I thought it was going to. :dance:

Zorak posted:

If this is another reference to the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter I am going to be cross.

I'm thinking more along the lines of China's Chang'e. The rabbit fits.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

Was looking on Amazon at the third volume and it says that the None Edition is coming out in Sept. Is that by a different publisher? http://www.amazon.com/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol-3-Reason/dp/1936393239/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313426657&sr=8-2

I think the "None Edition" is just an error someone made. Sept. 13 date was the original release date and just hasn't been updated to reflect that it's actually out now.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Evidently Tom has a Tumblr now. Starts off with a nice piece of fan art.

Also, loving my copy of Volume 3 :neckbeard:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bats Everywhere posted:

Jeez Paz, not everyone is as into you as you think they are.

She doesn't even have any feathers!

Also, Kat's stunned expressions are the best expressions :3:.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

...why would anyone think Kat and Annie were going to hook up at all in the first place?

I can definitely see where the perception comes from, but I can not imagine reading GC if I thought its only redeeming feature was my perceived sexuality of the two (underaged) female leads. Honestly, that is pretty damned shallow. And creepy.

Remember kids, if you don't depict your lead characters as being homosexual you are obviously anti-gay and a horrible person :eng99:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 29, 2011

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

It's not a very good perception, it's just the idea that two characters can't be close emotionally unless they're attracted to each other. (Which is probably why Chibisoma also thought Zimmy and Gamma were the weird kids designated to be gay, even though Zimmy and Gamma aren't lesbians either.)

You see this all over the place. It seems that a lot of people are incapable of accepting that sort of close relationship as being platonic.

Beyond that, shippers simply be crazy.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah in panel 4 it's obvious she just finds the whole situation kind of funny, hence the smirk.

Exactly. She is just confidently dismissing Jack's advances. Of course Jack then one-ups her.

Friday needs to be here now :f5:.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks Annie's comments are just something smart to through Jack off, not an actual dismissal. Her reaction to his "phew" seems to be she was *not" expecting that (and is a little angry), which means she probably expecting another <strike>collar pop</strike> move by him (that she probably wouldn't oppose).

Think about how Annie reacted to Jack wanting to hug her previous to her little forest adventure. I think that her ability to respond to that sort of thing has changed (improved) such that now she can make light of his advances but her general feelings about Jack haven't changed much. His "Phew" was definitely unexpected though and I can't wait till Friday to find out what that is about.

I might (almost certainly) be talking out of my rear end, though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Come on guys. I'm sure she is a perfectly wonderful person once you get over her eyes, teeth, hygiene, and ability to warp reality to reflect her living nightmares.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Tom if you ever decide to release a big compendium book please let us know first because I can't afford Book 2 on Amazon and cursed if I'm going to be missing it.

I would pay crazy money for a giant, collected edition a la DC's Absolute Editions when everything is said and done :swoon:.

God Tom only knows when that will be, though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DocFrance posted:

The forbidden Level 5 Collar Pop will be necessary to woo Zimmy. However, this technique is locked away within an ancient, cursed tome buried deep within the Court catacombs stuck in a dusty closet.

This is Gunnerkrigg Court we are talking about here after all.

I do like how Annie, who is usually the one to speak up for Zimmy, is still floored by Jack's confession.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Geekner posted:

Seems like a normal side-profile shot. I don't think tom's used them very often though, and they're supposed look a bit different then the usual 3/4th or whatever.

Yeah, it's just unusual to actually see Annie's face in side-profile. As far as I have noticed it is very rare and when it is used either her hair is covering most of her face or she is drawn in Tom's low detail style.

Also, scruffy hair :3:.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

farraday posted:

Was it a male or female rock?

Either way there was a lot of chafing :ohdear:.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Man, I was predicting a "We can not hide our love from the world any longer!" followed by a "What? We figured that out ages ago." They did a good job hiding it, I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fangz posted:

Not if she's asleep. Look how not tired Jack is compared to everyone else - he's spent the day sleeping before hand, because he knows the time window between Annie going to sleep now, and presumeably waking up much later, is the only chance he's got to do whatever he needs to do with the stone.

Did I miss something? I don't recall there being any indication that Jack is looking to do sneaky things with the blinker stone.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

:stare: Bud's etheric form. :stare:

I love the second panel, Annie peeking out at Bud, with the contrast between the normal and etheric. Reminds me a bit of the Third Treatise, too, with the eye in her hair.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Oh hey, let's check out today's GK update...:psyboom:.

And this, Annie, is why it isn't recommended to spy on people crab things in the ether.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Smooched so hard that his shirt untucked itself.

Living the dream, Smitty. :allears:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Andrew is so chill he doesn't even mind that the fox god sitting next to him is ogling his girlfriend too.

Has Kat ever worn anything like that pink, flowered hairband before? That conversation with Paz has really shaken her :ohdear:.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Tom keeps posting photos of all the neat bits of artwork he is taking to Leeds and it's driving me mad because there is this tiny little body of water called the Atlantic keeping me from being able to buy any of it :emo:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I don't get why people are so freaking out about this so much. From what we've seen I doubt Robot can even be "hurt" unless he suffers damage to the chip housing his CPU/Memory. Physical damage to his body is just an inconvenience.

Shadow 2 on the other hand...is it three-dimensional in that last panel? :stare: