Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Interesting how many of the comments on the page think this is a creepy or 'shipper kind of thing.

Renard is inappropriate now and again, but it seems pretty clear that his behavior is more of a protective love towards a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

dumb brunette posted:

I really like that something has finally made Ysengrin realize Coyote is a dick. Ysengrin's major characteristic has been his unending loyalty toward Coyote, so the fact that he's outraged by this is pretty awesome. Annie, however, is having the absolute worst day ever, jesus christ.

I agree to an extent, but during the encounter in which Annie sees him without his wooden suit he comments that he knows Coyote tricked her into it, and that it wasn't her fault. So he is loyal, but he's not blind. He's loyal despite knowing Coyote's a dick. It does seem that this is the first Ysengrin has heard of Renard being tricked and captured - it would have been much different circumstances than thinking Renard simply turned tail one day and defected to the Court. A straight-up defection would be a definite betrayal, but knowing Renard was betrayed and still just leaving him is quite another.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

The 19th Person posted:

Yeah, the real question is whether Anthony is Annie's biological father, or if it's the obvious choice, Reynardine. :shepicide:

That seems to be the main gist of today's comments.

I don't know why I read those.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Interesting new twist on the art style. I wonder if it will last.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Mercury Hat posted:

It's said in the comic that he can't leave without her permission since it's an object she owns. If she were to give up ownership totally, he'd be able to leave since he'd own himself I guess? If she gave him specifically to someone, then they would have possession over him. I think the symbol is just a, uh, well a symbol of the bond rather than any actual magical emblem.

If that's what you were asking.

Relevant wiki page.

I wonder if he knew it would happen. He had always taken over bodies owned only by the person who had been inhabiting them before he came along (as far as we know). It may have been that he figured the toy would be a safe place to hide, and then he could make a break for it. Only when he was in the body did he realize that he didn't take ownership by inhabiting it.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
This chapter has been full of awkward moments.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Seriously, Robot is getting really creepy. It's a bit jarring, since we haven't seen him like this before. I wonder what changed over the summer. Referring to her as an angel is one thing, evangelizing is weird.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Kuros posted:

I hope he hasn't gotten a bunch of them. Just because he has the option to have LGBT relationships in his comic doesn't mean he's obligated to have them.

Zimmy and Gamma

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Lord Lambeth posted:

Jones is the wandering jew.

We've got a few more millenia before we can rule that out. Golems are from Jewish folklore, if that's her origin (but there's no writing on her forehead - maybe lots of concealer?)

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Lord Lambeth posted:

I hope she's not a golem because golems are basically robots and jones said she isn't a robot. :colbert:

Golems also can't speak, if I remember correctly.

Golems in old Jewish folklore could be quite erudite, although they were usually dumb as stumps. They're also made out of clay (or other inanimate material), so it would fit with the elemental thing.

Humans could be considered God's golems - Adam was made out of mud.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Her hairstyle has changed with each era.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
People keep saying Jones has no emotions about this (I know what she's said about it). If nothing else, though, she's faking surprise. Look at her eyebrows. They're much higher than normal.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I really need to stop reading the comments. Any time there's affection between Annie and Kat, there are dozens and dozens of comments about shipping and lesbians and one character putting a move on the other one.

Why can't people just enjoy a close friendship without trying to shove child characters into a sexual relationship?

I probably don't want to know the answer to that, do I?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I'm thinking they're being chased by a horde of Chickcharneys that want Smitty to find their things.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Magypsy posted:

This is adorable, but I'm a little worried that Paz is going to be heartbroken at the end of this. I'm gay, and when I was Kat's age, I never even thought about the opposite sex. She's had plenty of crushes on men, and I can't remember her having any on women, so I think she'll reject Paz and it'll be super awkward for everyone involved. :smith:

It's entirely possible that they're both bisexual. They've both been shown crushing on guys.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Huh. That was unexpected.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
So wouldn't there be another time skip if it's still messed up in the forest?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Not helping! Not helping, Raphaelite angel!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

cant cook creole bream posted:

HTH: Loup is just a typo of Lupo. It means wolf. That can't be a coincidence!

Loup is French.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Well, that moved a lot faster than I thought it would.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Sankara posted:

Wondering if Tom will show "football head" Annie in a flashback and Annie goes something like "wow I've really grown up" or something silly.

Probably not, she would be super football-headed at this point in the story

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Loup, you leave Zimmy alone!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Theory time?

Zimmy and Gamma are both court creations (hence why neither one seems to have a past or family and have subject names rather than personal names). If not complete court creations, certainly modified by the court. This also explains how they happened to meet. Once they had proven their ability to work as a system, the court came to place them under closer observation and further test and manipulate their abilities.

Zimmy is a conduit for the ether and is project Omega, and Gamma is a sink to keep her and the abilities under control. The court either won't plan on and/or isn't aware of Annie's ability to act as a sink, and that will be a complicating factor for their plans.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Wittgen posted:

Zimmy is Zeta, not omega. Project omega is something or someone separate.

I know Zimmy is Zeta, but we don't know what Omega is. Zimmy and Gamma could be Omega, or a component of Omega.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Isn't it only when they're communicating telepathically? Maybe it's meant to signify that their minds are joined.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I don't think this is the resolution of the two Annies - "I know something that will help Carver understand herself better" and Zimmy's previous questioning of who would disappear hints to me that this is meant to teach Annie that she would be genuinely disappointed if the other Annie wasn't in her life anymore as an independent being.
Also "it might be nice if they both stuck around" - I don't think Zimmy or Gamma would be in a hurry to blend them.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2269
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2259

Bonster fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 3, 2021

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I think he's next to her on the ledge and Zimmy's turned to face him.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I suspect the next chapter may be Annie realizing that she misses her "sister" and the way things were, and that Courtnie and Fannie are two unique people after having lived apart for so long.

I hope so, because if this is it, I don't like it. I very much doubt this is the end of the two Annies, given Zimmy's previous opinions.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I just adore big fighting dragon

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I'm not liking how every character is "new Annie is so awesome!" We're getting total "tell, don't show".

Also, it seems like the two Annies were being seen increasingly as separate, unique people. You'd think someone might be a little bit bummed about their other friend vanishing (I know they combined, but it seemed they were becoming more identical twins than two parts of a whole).

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
We never did find out what happened with Jones and Eglamore, did we?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I have a theory that Jones is actually Annie, through Zimmery.

Don't ask me how that works with what we've seen, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Joe Slowboat posted:

No? Annie's not running around flamethrowering things before Tony shows up. Is she in a good place at that point? Obviously not, but it's not because she's got a fire spirit part of her. And yeah, I assume that the adult has more responsibility to handle things well than the daughter who will do anything she can to please him, which is the situation when he arrived. Had he been even fractionally kinder or more circumspect - or even told her about the situation in private before showing up as her teacher! It would have been a far less lovely thing to do.

That fire spirit wanting to throw fire around after Tony treats her in an incredibly unkind way is transparently her being angry about what just happened, and she cut it off from her because she couldn't handle her experience of him. She wasn't even able to emote or communicate with her friends after she cut it off - it's a transparent depiction of emotional dissociation. There's a reason the art turned into janky child's drawings after he confronted her, and then she cut her hair and broke off her anger into her fire spirit part - which she did because she has a habit of assuming he knows best and forgiving everything he does, even when it involves literally bifurcating her soul to make it work. This is wildly unhealthy.

Tony is a hurt person, but that doesn't excuse what he's done as a father, despite all his good intentions. He is not, right now, capable of being a good father to Annie (though he was briefly capable of being a functional father to one of the Annies, which was a step up). He's not capable of being a functional person! He needs help! And the Court is happily throwing gasoline on that situation because from their perspective, Tony being a wreck and Antimony being miserable don't matter as long as they have Carver's expertise. This family is not working, and insisting that it's the child's fault their relationship is dysfunctional won't make it work. Or, well, I hope it won't, because that would make this comic miserable.

E: Hell, I like Tony as a character! But he's a character who is massively loving up his daughter's life because he's an awful father, and he knows it, and instead of recovering and finding a way to slowly be in her life, he's been catapulted onto center stage by the Court. In terms of characterizing the Court as massively callous, it's a great bit of writing. But that doesn't mean Tony's a good father even a little.

I'm in complete agreement. Being a screwed up person doesn't give you the right to screw up your child. They have a severely unhealthy relationship, and it's on Tony to fix it, because Annie is a child. She may be a powerful child, but she's a child, and very immature in many ways, in part because her father is severely emotionally neglectful and abandoned her for years.

I have sympathy for Tony, but he is an appallingly bad father.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Honestly, I'm hoping there's a kick at the end here - I don't know what, but this all feels too neat. Plus Annie just seems... not-Annieish? I don't know. The whole thing since Annie re-integrated is just feels wrong.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Hodgepodge posted:

I dunno, most of the complaints about how Tony is depicted, to me, come off as people just wanting the Bad Man to be condemned so that they can remain comfortable in the idea that abuse is the result of choosing to be sinful and mean, in intentional defiance the will of god, or something.

Mental illness is not an excuse for abusive actions.

Tony's actions are abusive, despite the comic appearing to excuse them now.

Tony is not inherently a bad man, but his actions have caused deep harm to his child. He made a choice to abandon her, emotionally and physically. That action is bad. He has not been shown doing anything to resolve his mental health issues other than want really hard not to have it. Not here in the court, and not for the many years he was working as a surgeon in the outside world. They may not have therapists in the court other than a rock, but they certainly did when Antimony was growing up, and the problem was already evident. Tony chose not to take action.

Do I think he would become father of the year if he had gone a different route? No, not at all. He certainly could have done a hell of a lot better.

I don't think Tony is a bad person. I do think he is making choices that have harmed Annie and that his mental illness does not excuse that. I want to see him take responsibility for that and for making changes that go beyond "look at how sad I am".

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Welp, daddy issues solved.

(Dusts hands)

Next!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Urgh

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007