Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

"My name is Antimony Carver. I would like to share with you the strange events that took place while I attended school at..."

Gunnerkrigg Court is a webcomic by Tom Siddell. That is, this fellow:

(on the right)

It updates Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, like clockwork. Seriously, without fail. Siddell is a machine. He is also a member of these forums, and posts under the name Tea-san. Gunnerkrigg Court has won numerous Webcomic/Web Cartoonist awards, and has been praised by Neil Gaiman. It features ghosts, magic, folklore, politics, robots, fairies, scientists, alchemy and more mysteries than you could shake a stick at. It's moody, funny, beautiful and addictive...and really, that's all you need to know.

I Need to Know More

Alright, fine. The comic is set in and around the titular court - an institute founded around mankind's technological achievements and incessant curiosity, where science and magic are melded together for...well, a purpose that as yet is not quite clear. As Coyote says (and why shouldn't we trust him?) "It is man's endeavor to become god".

Beyond the Court is Gillitie Wood, inhabited by wild, magical and folkloric beings who don't take kindly to the students or their technology. While a truce currently exists between the Wood and the Court, most of the driving force of the plot comes from the tension between these two worlds. The rest comes from every single character being loving wonderful.

If this still isn't enough for you, read the Wikipedia article. Or, better yet, the comic.

Where do I begin?

At the beginning, genius. The story is divided into chapters, all of which are self-contained and conveniently linked to from the main page. While you could probably dive in at the beginning of any chapter and follow it perfectly well, half of the joy of Gunnerkrigg Court comes from watching the chapters weave gradually into a larger series of narratives. You would also miss out on some of the wonderful repeat characters who bring the supporting cast to life. And apparently some people are too dumb to follow the plot even in context, so please just start from the start.

Endorsements

Neil Motherfucking Gaiman posted:

A really enjoyable webcomic...Lots of different flavours in there -- it's a semi-gothic funny-sweet school story with mysteries and robots and so forth -- but I kept finding myself reminded of the early days of reading Bone. Nice stuff.

1stGear posted:

Just read the entire archive and added a new webcomic to my bookmarks. Hot drat that was good, and I can definitely see why Neil Gaiman likes it.

I would advise new readers to not get turned off by the first few stories, like I nearly was. It definitely gets a lot better.

Spiderdrake posted:

This webcomic is a masterpiece and anyone who hasn't given it a shot is doing themselves a disservice.

Lurdiak posted:

If you don't like the current GC arc you are a poo poo dude from planet crap.

Links

The Gunnerkrigg Court Wiki
Siddell's Formspring Page
Printed Volumes One, Two [out of stock] and Three!

:siren: Want to support the comic? :siren:

Sport a sexy avatar! - this comic really lends itself to excellent avatar material, so there are tons up for grabs.

Donate to Tom's tea and biscuit fund or hit up the Topatoco store for wonderful things:

Fan Art

by FunkyAl

by GreatJob

by Kismet

by TheNork

by UnconventionalOven

by YellowYams

And Just For the Record

Kismet fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I suppose we should. Common sense rules, I guess. Spoiler anything big, at least until we're a few pages in. I'd hope most people have the sense not to read more than a page or two through a discussion thread for something they've never read.

Speaking of which, I think we left off in the webcomics thread speculating about Jeanne and whether the robot's version of events was accurate, or whether we're about to see her demise. :ohdear:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

^^ loving Boxbot, I said no! :argh:

I wonder if hunky green elf is shot down while crossing the river and she refuses to climb back up - or somebody Court side cuts off her lifeline - leaving her to waste away on the shore. Diego doesn't have the guts to cross the Court by rescuing her, so she dies down there, leaving him respectable but haunted by guilt. Or is that too dark by GC standards? There have definitely been signs from the beginning that the Court has resorted to cold behaviour to preserve itself in the past. The pigeon story everyone seemed to dislike so much could be fairly emblematic of the Court moving gradually, pragmatically forward.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Pram posted:

I've been thinking that Jeanne could be what the court uses to kill people who want to defect to the forest side. When the fairies are down there they're waiting on someone to smash them so they can become human and go to the court (which ysengrin 'helps' them with) so I have to assume a similar thing exists for humans wanting to go the opposite way. Of course Aly didn't need to get smashed when he turned into a bird so I dunno. It would make sense though why Jeanne crossed the river since Annie is a human and the fairies aren't.

This sounds pretty plausible, but I'd go one step further and guess that Jeanne isn't 'used' by the Court at all. I think she's out to get revenge on court-siders, which is why she went after Annie and not the fairies - and why Muut comments that she's 'still so angry'. Not sure how Diego and the birds fit into things, though.

E: Alright, we're done with spoiler tags.

Kismet fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 24, 2010

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

^^ BOXBOT THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT

This one: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=655

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Give it another 198 pages.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

You remember that she is a professional soldier, yes?

Not to rag on anyone, but I can't help wondering whether there'd be this much debate if the character wasn't a willowy blonde woman. She's a soldier, she's been shown to have an explosive temper, and she at least appeared to attack Annie. I could be completely wrong, but on the surface - and bearing in mind how little we've actually seen of her - there is quite a bit of evidence that she has the capacity for violence.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

:aaaaa: The court intended for Jeanne to angrily haunt the shore. God drat, I am so slow.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

A robotic retrieving device which would provide the remains with transit to the river bank?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I honestly think you're reading way too much into that scene. Reynardine is a trickster, a wild animal, and a bit of a dick. Given the choice between languishing in chains with an old body and a gimped leg for god only knows how long, or leaping into the young teenage daughter of a lady he once had the hots for, he went for Annie. She wouldn't have died so long as he hung out in her body, and I doubt he was thinking that far ahead when an opportunity to escape presented itself.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah, can we not post entire pages of Gunnerkrigg here in the thread? We're supposed to be hooking people in and sending them to the site, not rehosting Siddell's comic for him.

In fact, imagine I just made the same post as the one above me. All of that.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Hahaha. So, you know those fans that Siddell has to explain everything to in short, simple sentences...?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

DocFrance posted:

Or she's just set on solving this mystery, and mysteries take priority over makeouts when you're 11 or however old she is.

If she's in her second year of high school in the UK, she'll be 12-13.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

What if they're all characters in a huge performance, and the whole thing is just an artistic representation of events in some predetermined story. The court/woods divide and all of the character interactions are symbolic of elements in some larger external reality, and the girl with the white hair mediates between the two worlds on behalf of an unseen creator. :tinfoil:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

She could become a super heavy badass with the ability to punch through walls? Orphan power, activate!

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

If Surma was a Phoenix given human form by the court and had a kid with another human (or human formed something or other), wouldn't that make Annie a mostly-human being, like Kat's bird boy in reverse? It would explain why her spirit self might have elements of phoenixy firepower, while she wouldn't necessarily inherit her mother's 'illness' or mythical beast qualities.

Edit: Maybe not by the court, but you know what I mean. They obviously have some kind of exchange program going on.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

The 19th Person posted:

I wonder how/if humans being represented by an eye symbol and Jones's title "Wandering Eye" are connected.

There is also this. Looking at that image, there appears to be a parallel between the symbolic eyes under the humans and the one which I can only assume represents their creator.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

Nice, thanks. Think I might go with "You cannot trust the people of this place." Unless someone can come up with something better.

Personally I'd go with "Tell me which of these stories you like."

...or "Spankies!"

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm not saying it wouldn't take some tact. For that matter, I can understand why people hide things like that in real life. It's just that, well, if they'd told her when she was younger, she'd be kind of bitter now... but she wouldn't be jumping into Coyote's arms as the only one she can trust.

Plus, it's one of those things that pops up in fiction a bunch that really gets on my nerves, because it always, always goes horribly wrong. It is never ever the case that having a secret revealed doesn't lead to someone doing something rash that makes the situation worse than if they'd known the truth from the beginning. (Bonus points if, before the reveal, they do something else to make the situation worse because they don't know!)

Jeanne being killed by the court was a deep dark secret that was revealed without any great negative consequence. Kat's boyfriend turning into a bird was at least a deep secret, which everyone then responded well to. Conversely, Annie freaked out at Mort because she assumed a deeper motivation where it turned out there wasn't one. I think it's just one of those tropes that people notice more in presence than in absence, since it's often used as a dramatic focus, while secrets that don't result in mass trauma generally don't end up changing the course of a plot so profoundly.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Pardot posted:

Did he ever actually say "I am so smart"? I think he did, and if so does someone have a link to that strip?

It was on this infuriatingly excellent page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=504

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I would have gone for one of the Coyote ones, but I just got my avatar/custom title a couple months ago.

Your avatar is one of my current favourites on the forum. Gets a grin out of me every time. :allears:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

This will be a good week for us all to work on some fanart, then!

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So, chapter page designed to make as many people wildly speculate as possible. The vines on Annie's arms are the Forest's attempts to bring her over to their side, and Annie's hair wrapped around Kat's arm is symbolic of the ties they have, that would lead to Kat going after Annie. They are holding gifts that the forest and court are offering to each other, which means the Court created the spiders in Zimmy's Birmingham. Aside from that, I've got nothing.

I'm not sure they're holding gifts. Kat's pigeons could represent her desire for change and humane/ethical behaviour in the court, after this chapter. I'm not sure what Annie's spider would be in that case, possibly something we haven't encountered yet.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Well poo poo I'm dumb.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Looks like Tom's taken down the Formspring page. Was this recent, or is it for the duration of the chapter break, or did I just miss when it happened?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Alright, cool. I'm actually really glad and think it was a good move on his part.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Wait, so does Tom play with his comments section, or does Gunnerkrigg just have the best fans on the face of the planet?

Also, why have I never bothered reading the comments before? This is a day of many discoveries.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

This one.

It was in the OP, but apparently the waffle link is dead. I'll fix that.

I think the mispellings of Reynard's name are probably a reference to the constant dumb-fan confusion over the fact that he's been referred to as Reynard, Renard and Reynardine at various points.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

^^^ I think it may be a little of both. Tom's always been very courteous to fans, so I think it's a friendly kind of poking fun, but at the same time I can imagine it would get tedious having people constantly willfully misunderstand the simplest elements of your work.

I thought we could be bad in this thread, until I actually looked at the old formspring page. Jesus christ. It was the way that even when people got an outright 'No' they would keep asking ever-more specific versions of the same question, slightly rephrased to give a different emphasis.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I've always imagined City Face talking like these guys.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

That would be an acumenical matter.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Tom is super busy doing important human cartoonist business, so I made this for all of you. :)

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

At first glance I thought robots, but now I'm guessing these are the new dorm rooms for the year. You can kind of see a bookcase, lockers, and the edge of a bunk behind Reynard.

E: Incidentally, the Ustream is going on right now - colouring the Book 3 cover.

Kismet fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 23, 2011

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Since her hand is still there, I'd guess we can assume so.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

They're ghosts re-enacting a play within a play about a play, dreamed up by Dr Disaster and performed by robots. And Reynardine is actually Coyote pretending to be the Reynardine-ghost-robot for kicks. And Coyote-ghostbot-Reynardine is Annie's dad: Eglamore. It's all quite simple.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

I really love the aging process Tom uses for the characters. You really see them age both physically and mentally. Annie seems more mature through and through. Still loves her make up though. I wonder what happened to her school uniform.

Looking at the colours of her new outfit, it looks like it may have been made at least partly from her uniform, which is a cool detail if that's the case.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Nonbaka posted:

So let me get this straight; people are okay with images of teenage cartoon girls being mounted by erect wolves in this thread?

edit: Since it apparently isn't clear, I'm calling out the people defending the picture.

I am very much not okay with this, and would like to politely ask that people leave it out, joking or otherwise. Apart from anything else, I think it's pretty disrespectful to Siddell to throw around those kind of images of his characters when he's explicitly expressed distaste for them in the past.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

No, now we're moving on.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Man, really? I cannot see Kat being angry with Annie. First, she must have been given at least some indication of why Annie bailed on their plans - even if that indication was just 'Uh, she's upset about something.' - she and her parents are close enough with Eglamore that I'm certain he'd have mentioned the almost being set on fire by a hormonal teenager incident. Second, even if she was angry at the time, she's had an entire summer to calm down and wonder about Annie's motivations. Third, Kat just doesn't have an angry grudge-holding personality, especially when it comes to Annie. The girls are close, they've been through a few rough times together, and they trust each other. So they didn't get their holiday together, big woop. I still can't picture Kat being seriously angry.

E: Even if Kat was only told 'she changed her plans at the last minute', points two and three still apply. I'd imagine she knows Annie well enough to guess she wouldn't just pull a 180 on their plans for no reason at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

That's just a mockup, he posted the real cover on his twitter: