Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Nice things happening to cool people makes my day. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

You missed this one. Otherwise, whoa, good work digging all those up. I waste a lot of time on this comic apparently!

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Nondevor posted:

Nope, we haven't seen Mort in the ether world. Which now makes me curious as to whether he would change forms or not...

Well, Jeanne looked pretty kickin' in the ether.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah, man, it makes no difference to us, but it's kind of like coming into a restaurant where everyone is eating and going "No, no, I don't want a menu. Your starters sound gross. Ham and melon? Ugh. Just bring me some of those delicious little mints I can see at the next table, and I'll pick up this michelin dining thing as I go along."

Your review is going to suck, is what I'm saying.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

pandaK posted:

Hey kismet, is it okay if I use parts of your OP to start up another Gunnerkrigg Court thread in another forum?

Go for it. :) Spread the gospel.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Oh hey, yeah, I should point out there is now a link to idonotlikepeas' great avatar repository in the OP - so you can find it without trawling back through the thread any time you feel like a change.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I just came across this site, and I'm wondering if it might be of interest to Tom: http://www.sponsume.com/

I know the idea of a kickstarter-like endeavour to support more comic work has been floated a few times, hampered by kickstarter being tied to the US. This site appears to basically be a kickstarter clone, but is UK-based and allows for donations in any currency via credit cards or paypal.

Browsing their successful projects, there have been quite a few general fundraising schemes before, and they even have a (currently empty) category just for comics.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Robo Pope posted:

Annie :(

Think that's an actual crack in the wall, or a metaphorical crack in Annie's psyche?

Annie was caught in the fire at the hospital and has been in a coma ever since. The court and forest are just manifestations of her subconscious built on fairy tales and the promises of a school she'd never attend

:can:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Pleased as I am to see them, developments in the major plot always remind me that Gunnerkrigg is a finite, structured story and we are constantly moving towards its conclusion. :smith:

E: Wait, wait-

Phew! :unsmith:

Kismet fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 27, 2012

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Whoa. So if Surma wanted/needed to have a child, but James couldn't bring himself to be implicated in killing her...?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

(I always read them without any accents because the dialogue didn't sound particularly British, but that's more me projecting and less of a need to have every line read like COR BLIMEY I TOOK THE TUBE TO THE CHIP SHOP AND THEN BACK TO ME FLAT FOR A CUPPA, BOXBOT IS A BLOODY WANKER)

John Allison Presents: Gunnerkrigg Court.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Robo Pope posted:

Why. Why are people so horrible?

What the gently caress.

Creepy Gunnerkrigg fans really upset me. I know it's an inevitability on the internet, but there's just something particularly gross and depressing about people who look at a smart, nuanced story about schoolkids and feel the need to slap dicks all over it.

It distresses me that there are seriously people out there who can't look at girl-centric media without thinking "Hmm this isn't bad, but they could really use more semen on their faces!!"

Ironic Twist posted:

My favorite part of that is how they assume the artist would want to look at/care about that poo poo.

"Wow, you really brought a whole new interpretation to my work!"

I used to run the forums for a webcomic that was pretty popular around 2004-07, and people would do this all the time. One guy wrote his thesis on the comic's subliminal homosexual messages and 'the conquering of the phallus', and sent it to the creator. I'm all about deconstructive literary criticism and all, but this was a webcomic pastiche of 80s cinema about a guy fighting aliens. :psyduck:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

There I fixed it! :3:

I love you, let's be friends.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Okay, so Anthony is a bad father etc. etc.

What I'm really interested in is just what kind of situation he's in that requires him to keep such distant, clipped, encrypted communication with the court. Why can't he speak freely? Why can't he spare a moment to talk to his daughter before he sends his message? Does this relate to the fuzzy signal on the phone? The way it was routed through an operator? Does it hint at some reason that Anthony couldn't get in contact before?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Quoted for easy clicking and propaganda purposes:

Kismet posted:

:siren: Want to support the comic? :siren:

Sport a sexy avatar! - this comic really lends itself to excellent avatar material, so there are tons up for grabs.

Donate to Tom's tea and biscuit fund or hit up the Topatoco store for wonderful things:

And Tom: Congratulations. You're an absolute hero and I hope everything goes astoundingly, ridiculously well for you from here on out. When other artists have gone full time I've been a little apprehensive to see how they handle the adjustment to self-employment. However, I've followed you on twitter long enough to know you already have hands down the best work ethic in the industry, so it's absolutely thrilling to see you make the move, and I can't wait to see where you take things from here.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Oh hell. Anthony's in the forest.

He couldn't save Surma with all the medical technology in the world, because she wasn't entirely of that world. After that failure, the only way to keep looking for answers was to turn to the mythical-magical realms, and try to understand his daughter's condition on its own terms. He knew the court wouldn't be keen to let him cross the Annan, so he did it in secret. Only his closest friends know where he disappeared to, and they've been keeping it quiet for his sake.

This is why he's been out of contact. This is why phonecalls are difficult and dangerous to make, and why medical supplies have to be airlifted in. Can you imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if he was caught smuggling complex court technology or metal scalpel blades into the woods? He's in deep, deep cover, and even this tiny snippet of communication was probably an enormous risk.

It's hard to guess what he's doing in there, but I have one more major prediction:

Coyote knows.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I'm terrible at spotting sarcasm, so I'll assume you're being serious. I'll like to remind you then of the sweatshirt incident with the "A. Carver" name. Anthony is not in the forest, or if he is, he's clearly hiding.

vvvvv Coyote never lies :eng101:

Coyote didn't lie. In fact, he didn't say anything. Ysengrin was the one who made the accusations, and Coyote just said "we are not very good with human clothing", which is evidently true since the sweatshirt turned out to be Annie's.

So what we actually had back then was Coyote and his general formally presenting the court with what they (possibly) believed to be material evidence that Anthony Carver was in the forest. They were already familiar with Anthony's name, for reasons the comic hasn't overtly explained.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

OK, I have updated the avatar repository in the way people seemed to want. If I run up against the post limit, I'll condense the names into a contributor list.

So if someone wants to go find JT Jag a new avatar...

Pity this one is taken, really.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Madrox posted:

As noted, Annie's expressions are very well done here. I really like the profile in the 4th panel. I think it's a shot we don't see very often, and it's used very effectively there.

Yeah, that panel was really arresting. I had to scroll back up and look at it again when I finished reading the page. There's something so nice about the yearning in it and the familiar-unfamiliarity of a slowly growing up Annie.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Is it just me, or does Jimmy Jims look really like Ted Forth in that second panel?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

TheNork posted:

So about a week ago I decided to do a little mini project to flex my drawing muscles a bit. I settled on Gunnerkrigg Court, because I love the comic, and I figured I could spread the word a bit. Here are the results:

Hopefully it's obvious who's who in those pictures. :shobon: Thank you, Tom, for all your efforts.

Added these astounding pieces to the OP. I think Eglamore is my favourite, but I can't stop looking at all of them. Beautiful work.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Kismet posted:

Annie was caught in the fire at the hospital and has been in a coma ever since. The court and forest are just manifestations of her subconscious built on fairy tales and the promises of a school she'd never attend

:can:

Nice try guys, I called all this months ago.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Annie recalls having such happy times with the elf family because those are the memories they planted after keeping her hypnotized the entire time in an attempt to pry Coyote's magic out of her living brain. Calling it now. :tinfoil:

At least, that's what they want Annie to think. In fact, it was all just part of Coyote's master plan to take over Gunnerkrigg Court. Phase one of Operation Doppel-Jeanne-er.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Isn't that the guy who's avatar is a cartoon girls butt (ironically, I'm sure)? We should get him and chibisoma together sometime.

A symbolic butt. Her/his title's a reference to a bit of drama that went on around Aaron Diaz a few years ago, where he tried to justify making the protagonist's butt the focus of his comic page by saying the camera angle was deeply meaningful to her relationship with the other characters. It was really dumb and one of the things that lost Diaz a bit of credibility at the time.

I don't know what Symbolic Butt (the poster) was referring to there. I've never seen Tom make those kind of comments, but then I'd also forgotten GC used to do guest weeks. It could be that SB has some wires crossed, or it could be that it's distant history. Either way, who cares?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I love Ysengrin's face in the second panel. He knows it's true.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I know this is an upsetting issue and one worth talking about, but at least in this thread could we avoid making statements like "[X] people deserve to get harassed" or "this just proves that [X] people are contemptible"? Tom has made it extremely clear that he feels responsible for and bad about facilitating this unpleasantness, and I don't see that using his apology as a catalyst for doubling down will make him feel any better. Regardless of your take on the incident, the best thing any of us can do for his mental wellbeing right now is to take what he's said for himself seriously and stop attacking people on his behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Are you completely loving dense. What part of stop spotlighting people to pick on them do you not understand.