Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They were probably going to tell her eventually. (Note that this chapter started with someone telling her one of those secrets.) They just wanted to wait until she settled in, and the death of her mother isn't so fresh on their mind. So that she isn't That Girl Who Isn't Human and Killed Her Mother at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

If you have time to draw a hopscotch game, you haven't had a fireball thrown at you.

Clearly you don't know the martial art of battle hopscotch.

EDIT:

More seriously, I think you'd put in more effort if drawing stuff in chalk is your main defense against offensive magic. That said, I'm on the side of fire wall. While I doubt Annie was thinking clearly in terms of what she was trying to do, Eglamore and the Court are still calm enough to send Jones to try to persuade Annie to come back (assuming they sent her), instead of considering her an Enemy and cutting her off completely.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 9, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I thought the point of blinker stone was just a focus for the individual's own abilities? We've never seen Mrs Donlan use it for anything other than the signal, so blinker fire would presumeably just be Annie's fire ability manifested via the blinker stone.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oooh boy.

I wonder if today's comic indicates Coyote has some sort of hold over Jones, because Jones looked very flustered and human for that panel. So hmmm...

As for Annie, tsk. Taking a suspicious offer for greater power in a brief moment of emotion never works out well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pierson posted:

Coyote in that last panel is amazing. He's loving this poo poo (although I cannot recall a page he's appeared in where he wasn't loving this poo poo).

Well, he looked pretty pissed off in the bottom left of

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=497

Oh well, time to voyage into the heart of Coyote's brutal Stalinist regime!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

She could give Jones her blinker stone to give to Kat.

She'd only be able to talk to Reynardine through that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The 19th Person posted:

I'm legitimately interested in seeing this, partly because I want to see the world of gunnerkrigg outside of the court and partly because It would be interesting to have some Kat-centric time.

And you don't want to see what life in Gilitie Wood is really like, or what the other forest creatures really think of Ysengrin and Coyote, etc?

I have a suspicion that Gillitie Wood is not nearly as idyllic as Coyote presented. For all Ysengrin's talk of how the forest creatures are scared of her, the one time Annie was in the forest unaccompanied (http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=140 and surrounding comics), the fairies she met there were not at all scared, but rather curious about the court, and indeed were willing to go so far as to be killed (they are not able to get to the Court by themselves, as suicide is cheating) to get away from the woods and into the court. Ysengrin later kills them, and well, I suppose that's what they wanted, but still...

I suspect Gillitie Wood is a fun place to visit, but not at all a fun place to live in, and be subject to Coyote and Ysengrin's whims on a daily basis.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 11, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

Kat going to Cloud City and meeting Lando while Annie trains on Dagobah-type thing.

I see this more as Kat returning from Utapau to find Annie's gone and killed all the younglings, the silly girl.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You know, does time even run at the same rate in Gillitie Wood?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Actually, it would be interesting to see if we meet bird dude again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Heh, I totally called this.

My (fairly wild) speculation on the tooth is that Coyote wants Annie to take action against Reynardine - if Annie kills Rey, the power Coyote gave him presumeably returns, the Court wouldn't be able to blame him, and it would be within the letter of the Court-Coyote deal. If Coyote reveals that the Court tricked the main figure in Gillitie forest who was pro-human, and then murdered him, this should galvanise his support within the forest and end the boring, boring peace between the wood and the court. Ysengrin especially shouldn't know, because he's just starting to realise Rey wasn't the traitor he thought he was, but a pawn in a whole bunch of people's games.

Overall, we'd know a lot more once we actually meet other 'people' within Gillitie Wood. Apart from the suicide fairies, the only people we've actually seen within the forest were essentially usurpers who arrived after the founding of the Court, and who personally had some sort of role in the schism between the two sides. Coyote is definitely up to something, though. You don't start threatening maiming on a child, unless the stakes are even greater than that.

Another thought I had was that Annie's new 'bracelet' was similar to the new choker Jeanne started wearing a certain period of time after her lover was killed. But checking the archives shows that it looks quite different, so...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It makes me actually wonder if all Coyote's gifts bring alienation:

Rey refused Coyote's gifts initially because he feared they would divide him from his human friends, and when he did accept, it caused him to kill someone and so become immediately alienated from both his friends in the Wood and from the Court.

Ysengrin accepted Coyote's gifts, and became alienated in shame, because he was too proud to let the physical cost show. Result: extreme attachment to Coyote, presumeably alienation from other woodland creatures.

Annie accepted Coyote's tooth, and I'll bet if she ever uses it, she'll have a huge degree of trouble. Plus in Coyote's teaching of her so far ("you're not exactly human"), he's been rather keen to stress her difference from her friends and colleagues.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Er, rubbish, Coyote obviously is the one pushing Annie to stay in the woods, and only is springing these nasty surprises after Annie has been cajoled into agreeing to stay. The guy sees an opportunity, and is taking it, that is all. He's loving every minute of this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

rotinaj posted:

If I were Antimony, I'd say "Get this freaking thing off me!"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Reynardine in a small dark room, weepingwishing he could still weep.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

She is certainly acting a lot more like Surma. But I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

3. I do have an odd sense of humor as do a lot of goons. Wonderful point brought up by good citizen...sexy family circus mom. It's perverted, in poor taste, has taboo sexual overtones...and it is a joke. Is it ok simply because family circus sucks compared Gunnerkrigg?

It's in bad taste to make pedophilic jokes images in a thread the artist himself frequents. In fact, it's pretty much against the forum rules in any thread outside of FYAD.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Or that it's just a matter of the Coyote's power not being able to extend within the Court.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh dear.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Next, we'll learn how George and Smitty broke up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The full story is worse though. The Coyote got her to stay in the forest through a promise of power, and she didn't think about Kat until after she made her decision.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Kat is also an actual child in the custody of her Court parents so it's not like she was gonna be able to help much with the whole 'staying away from the Court and everyone who's been lying to her' thing

There are locations in the Gunnerkrigg universe that are neither the Court/or the Woods. Coyote lured her with the promise of learning about her fire elemental abilities, not with a shoulder to cry on. I mean, Coyote is literally the worst shoulder to cry on.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kids, cheating on homework DESTROYS EVERYTHING.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sooo, Dominic Deegan crossover?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Aww. :3:

I assume our regular scheduled DOOOM will be continuing after the break.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Annie would probably actually like Princess Mononoke, I think.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

Apparently Kat's not down with the musky forest perfume that Annie's wearing. Reynard on the other hand is totally cool with it.

I think that's dog pee.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ka0 posted:

There's a small typo in the welcoming text. It says "proivded". I SURE HOPE YOU READ THIS TOM. Well that's all.

It's not so easy for a giant crab to type, you know.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

McGravin posted:

Sounds like your dog is defective. If it's still under warantee, send it back to the manufacturer for repair/replacement/refund.

Technically Rey is actually a cuddly toy in the shape of a fox, though...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm wondering if Tom is missing a layer in panel 3.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

No, see, every robot actually is a forsaken child. They screamed constantly until I removed their vocal cords.

Poor Boxbot...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The robots these days mostly make themselves, I think.

Am I the only one who thinks the Cube is related to the Seed Bismuth?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

wyoming posted:

He's turning into Diego. :ohdear:

That's actually a possibility. Hmmmm..... I mean, maybe he picked up something from S1...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm, I wonder if this is a third actor in the "She died and we did nothing" play...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Okay, calling it now. This robot is somehow an upload of an older version of Diego.

Knows about the tomb.

Comments on quality of robots.

Comments on how far you (the Court) has come from the bad old days?

(It would be nice to see, anyway, that Diego wasn't a complete arsehole...)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 10, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not really sure why Annie wants to know about the start of the Court, so much.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Because it's tied into what happened to the ghost lady that cut her face. It is a MYSTERY!

Not really. The dividing of the court from the forest occurred a while after all that. She could have just asked about Jeanne directly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Given that "No Spare Robot Parts" contained spare robot parts, clearly the USED Instrument room contained only brand new unused instruments!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I can't believe Tom just sunk my Zimmy Gamma ship for a typical teen romance. What an anti-gay hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Coyote's gotta be played by Nicolas Cage.