Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

EmmyOk posted:

lmao literally anywhere she already knows in the court is a million times better than the bottom of a ravine.

Teleporting to the woods is also a possibility, Coyote could potentially do something.

And I mean, it's not like the psychopomps can't follow along. Annie's actions don't really make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cool, let's make this another mystery so the readers don't know what to feel about it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Your dad's great, Annie, he's only an rear end to you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

This is so dumb. Brinnie killed Anja's family so that Tony would be forced to go with Surma and inevitably fall in love and fail to save her and have a terrible relationship with his daughter who will also die. It's pretty explicit in text but smh at goons missing it as always

and the twist will be that it's 100% justified

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

haha!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

haha

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This chapter is a pretty good example of "don't show, tell". Show less and the reader can happily infer what happened, that time passed, they spent time together yadda yadda. But if you want to show it there's no number of pages of him going "haha" that can persuade you they had a realistically developing relationship.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Why are people saying Surma is being creepy? Tony's only real objections here are a) hurting is friend b) worrying that he won't be able to be the guy she likes when they return, not that he isn't into her. I mean she's being really inconsiderate and lovely to her boyfriend, but not creepy to Tony.

Try flipping the genders in your head if you don't see it.

Mazerunner posted:

It's anxiety in general that fucks Tony up, not just # of people > 1.

Like being in groups is anxiety inducing for him, but his various and well-founded concerns about what bad dad he is are going to make him shut down when interacting with Annie even if they were the only souls for a thousand miles.

hell, even his fears and concerns about how Surma's slipping away from him and he's failing Annie would make him act pretty cold too, even before Surma's actual death, as seen in that one flashback

Do you want to bet on Siddell opting for Tony's ultimate issue being social anxiety, and not literal magic?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 23, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Can't handle that hot chest

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Okay, so is the point of this chapter basically Tom Siddell saying "stop thinking that there's anything wrong with Tony's relationships with other people and anything weird about his relationship with Surma in particular" or is it saying "jeez, all of these people sure don't give a poo poo about what Annie feels, because they continue to go to make this bizarro argument that yes, he's an arse to you, but he's so funny and smart to other people" as if it's supposed to make her feel better?

Also if this chapter's content is meant to explain how Tony was able to make Kat come around on her opinion of him by sheer force of "funny and smart" (which was the original issue), then let me react with a sound

"Haha!"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This chapter answers the "how" (they spent some time together and then started snogging), but not so much the "why" (like what the heck did Surma see in Tony, how the heck did merely being funny and smart sway Kat). If Siddell wasn't repeatedly just *saying so* he hasn't actually provided any proof that Tony *didn't* use some kind of magic trick to be attractive to Surma and make Kat forget about how much she hated him.

EDIT:

In Anja's retelling this tale is basically:

Surma posted:

A bug landed on my book.
Tony said "It must have been heavily laden it had to land as soon as it could"
I said "I've never seen anything like it!"
He laughed.
THEN MY HANDS WERE ALL OVER HIM.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 3, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The original question is "Tom Siddell just explained away Kat hating Tony for being abusive (and from her POV attempting to murder...) to Annie by him being funny and smart off-screen, are we supposed to just accept that". I guess we are satisfied that the answer is "yes, because Tony and Surma saw slugs."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The only character that makes sense emotionally in this comic any more is Jones.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How does *that* transfer to the actual question which is *How the gently caress did Tony get Kat to forget he tried to murder her friend*?

Kat did not hate Tony because he isn't personable.

EDIT: 'Surma has an emotionally unfulfilling relationship' isn't even something that is established, but instead just stated at the end as an afterthought.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 3, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

But also I mean, people being forgiving or, well enabling of abusers and their lovely behaviour if that person is also likable and charming is a thing. I think that's kind of what we're seeing here- Tony's not meaning to be abusive to Annie, but he is, and his guilt is driving him to be even more distant, but the people who are in the best position to call him out (Donnie, and now Kat) aren't seeing him as the cold and robotic Bad Dad anymore, they see him as a likable dude in a bad situation who's made mistakes.

Thanks for this.

I'm happy with that being a thing, and it would be more acceptable to me if the point of these chapters is 'jeez, these people are really jerks for being so quick to forgive Tony' but looking at the reaction of people who *like* the comic and don't have any issues with all this that subtext sure is well hidden. There's an awful lot of digital ink being spilt about Tony's pain and frankly I don't give a poo poo about Tony's pain.

Also I don't think this chapter on the face of it actually rebuts the brainwashing possibility, though the comic seems to really want us to believe it does.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 3, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Those must have been some really great jokes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Glagha posted:

Man it's almost like this comic has made its stance on Tony pretty clear before.

Like, a mouthpiece character comes on and literally says "Tony has done bad things and that's not okay but here's where he's coming from so you understand why he does these things and who he is as a person."

It's almost like we're setting up Annie getting a full picture of her father's bullshit, why he acts the way he does, and his relationships with the characters around him while she rebuilds her self confidence and eventually confronts him on the effects he's had on her life.

Or maybe the comic is saying abuse is okay and Tony is really just misunderstood. I'm sure that's what's up.

Oh, so that strip shows the others actually do know that Tony is abusive to Annie.

Sorry, however you say 'we don't excuse Tony's actions', having a friendly relationship with Tony while he continues his abuse and expecting the victim to confront the abuser and doing nothing to support the victim in the meantime except re-iterate how nice the abuser is absolutely is excusing Anthony.

Give this child a loving hug at least. Jesus Christ.

Edit: But yeah, Gunnerkrigg by my Google trends count has lost about 60% of readers since Anthony has returned.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 10, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Did you really go to Google trends to seek vindication for your being Mad At Webcomics dude

Yup, it's pretty easy and fun.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lol.

Dropping this comic.

Chibisoma was right.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Would be nice if it returned the comic back to when it was good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Except Tony, everyone loves Tony

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The story as a whole repeatedly blends parental and romantic love in a kinda Huh way. It's almost a theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm gonna laugh so hard if the intent of that page turned out to be "oh look she's still alive quick we need to rescue her" and he just massively messed up his storytelling once again.