Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I'm having trouble getting any pages to load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So the third panel kind of implies that Coyote didn't actually separate the court from the forest, right?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

That page showed Annie leading her Mom into the afterlife, so "What's left of them" probably refers to Surma being incomplete after she died.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

It must be that the souls of all the dead become the ether, but only humans have the intelligence and the imagination to give it a shape and a name.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Don't run, that makes dogs chase you!

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Dammit Who? posted:

I don't think it ever really meant anything (other than 'girl character I dislike', if that?). I read an essay about this awhile ago and I'm paraphrasing:

You're reading a story and there's this girl, right? Tragically orphaned, but her parents left her enough money to make her richer than God. Genius intellect who easily masters a dozen fields, Olympian physique, incredible good looks. Every guy she meets falls in love with her, but she pushes them away because she's consumed by angst. Everyone fears and respects her, and even her enemies are obsessed with her.

Whatta freakin' Mary Sue, right? Except, whoops, that's Batman.

Or there's this lady in the far future. Incredibly charismatic leader, devastatingly attractive to the opposite sex, famous throughout the galaxy as the captain of the finest spaceship in the fleet. It seems like every week she's saving a planet from tyranny and bedding all the cute alien boys while she keeps her cool behind a cocky grin.

Yet nobody calls Kirk a Mary Sue.

A shitload of popular characters fit the same wish-fulfillment mold, but rarely if ever get handed the dreaded 'Mary Sue' label. Basically if someone calls a character a 'Mary Sue' you should read it as 'I have difficulty precisely articulating what I dislike about this character'.

Nobody calls the warrior princess of a lost civilization, crafted by the gods themselves, and capable of going toe to toe with the strongest heroes and villains on earth, a Mary Sue. Or the badass space trucker who is stronger and smarter than those around her, and totally disses those corporate fat cats to their faces, a Mary Sue either. Kirk, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Ripley aren't considered Mary Sues because they are long established, it isn't a sexism thing. New characters of either gender are naturally under more scrutiny than the characters we grew up with.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I'd assumed that the big eye was the Great Spirit. Seems unlikely for a capitol G kind of god to be running around in the court.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Sgt. Ramen posted:

I have the feeling that Gunnerkrigg Court has been hijacked by KC Green. Which would be fine, if the outcome resulted in more pages like this one.

Also, I have no avatar still, so I am preemptively calling dibby dibs on that last panel.

This guy still has a stupid newbie avatar, the lone non-Gunnerkrigg avatar on the last page. The avatar fairy laughs in the name of your dibby-dibs!

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

He doesn't need to, GC always takes us in a completely unexpected direction or, at most, the expected direction but in the most unexpected way

How do you think it got to be that way in the first place? :tinfoil:

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

jfjnpxmy posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=369

Tries to annoy people to see what they do.

You know who else does that?

Trolls.

You may be onto something there. (Also, she's one to talk.)

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Maybe immortality was one of Coyote's Gifts.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

Still can't decide whether I think Jones is older than the court or not, considering how far back we're going at this point without her changing.

I also hope we get to see her when she first meets Coyote, and he gives her the "Wandering Eye" nickname (assuming that is a nickname and not her actual title).

Depending on exactly how old she is, Wandering Eye could've just been another name to use for a time, maybe in Celtic or even Neolithic days.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Since the simulation is just an artist's depiction of the founding of the court, I don't know if one can use the the uniform to specifically date when it occurred. The founders looks could've been based on portraits found around the school, since Diego looks accurate to how we know he looked, but they could've just as easily had to make it up if a picture wasn't available. There could also be a Dr. Who type situation going on- where the British army based their uniforms on the look of the Court Founder, and not the other way around. Either way, it's possible that Jones made her way to the American southwest, Coyote wanted to know stories, and Jones, using her possible profession as a governess, told him about Renard and Ysengrim.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Maybe in the next flashback we'll see her chilling with Basil at the Worst Birthday Party Ever.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Jones, tell me your best story. :allears:

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Crazy theory: Jones is an unwitting forest sleeper agent. Her memories and personality are fabricated, created wholesale by Coyote. This also accounts for her unbreakable body. Her invulnerability is a great way to avoid evidence contradicting her story. This would also explain Coyote calling her Wandering Eye. She's a mobile observation point for him, involuntary though it may be.

I don't actually believe this theory though; feel free to shoot holes in it :shobon:

Paranoia about Coyote's abilities, especially since the Ysengrin incident, is certainly understandable. The first problem that comes to mind is that Jones has knowledge of things that Coyote wouldn't- like the appearance of dinosaurs and customs in medieval Europe. Jones is a creature of intellect, and I like to think that she would notice if her memories contradicted what was scientifically verified, she'd be suspicious of it herself. On the other hand, it would be neat for Siddell to make a shout out to Oxxidation's story.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So this is stupid, but is it legal?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I know what he means, though. My morning coffee and webcomics are just a little less bright on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

If it isn't Parley, she'll be graduating and not in the comic next volume. :(

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I think that the headmaster chose Smitty to be the next medium, but his probability powers made all three of them hear it wrong to avoid things from becoming awkward when someone that they hadn't prepared to hear was chosen was chosen.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

That is the only avatar someone called Line Feed should have.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

:stare: Well, glad I didn't read that before going to bed. And on a related note, seeing this comic for the first time is an apt replacement for morning coffee.

Tea-san posted:

I taped a sharpie to the end of a broom handle for this one!

That is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Someone needs to buy that as a banner ad on the forums.