Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Fuego Fish posted:

In the German school of fencing, which is what Parley uses, there are a set of moves that are referred to as "hauen", or "hews". "Unsichtbarhau" is "unseen-hew", named for obvious reasons.

(:eng101:)

So, in short:

+

=

:pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Ka0 posted:

George's "Biptenhauer fencing" plus SSJ2-Annie's powers alongside Parkourbot should be more than enough to handle Jeanne at the bottom of the ravine.

I hope we do not get to that part yet though. I want to see if we'll get more on Eglamore and Jones' background.

Jeanne can appear and disappear at will. Jeanne can snatch Annie's blinker stone whenever she feels like it. Jeanne died and Robot did nothing.

This is going to go horribly wrong.

E: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand disregard everything I just said, wow is that a game-changer.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 23, 2011

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
"That's not a knife. THIS is a knife."

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
So the last thing you hear as you're being stabbed, traveling up through your spine and into your inner ear, is the sound of Coyote laughing.

Huh.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Dodgeball posted:

The knife is going to kill Smitty, isn't it? :ohdear:

Yes. Smitty is going to die, Parley is going to die, everyone is going to die. It's going to turn into Gun'er Down Court and it will all end with Annie getting shot by Jones who is actually Eglamore while riding Boxbot and Annie will fall off the bridge and into the river like the end of Scarface.

And Tom's Formspring account will shut down the Internet.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 27, 2011

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Hahaha shiiiiiiiiiiit.

I was going to make a joke about perspective and how "but, see, the way Parley's swinging the sword and the way her feet are planted means that it might be unclear from the way things are drawn because Robot's not Boxbot" but there's really no way to do it.

That is most definitely Robot, being sliced in half by Coyote's fangtooth. No ambiguity there.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Luminaflare posted:

Coyote should slowly give Anne more and more pieces of himself which turn in to equipment. Obviously it all laughs all the time.

And he will become...COYOTRON.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Fangz posted:

Clearly they should experiment with cutting Mort next, and then cutting a psychopomp.

Nothing can possibly go wrong.

God help us all if they cut the fourth wall in half.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

1stGear posted:

You people are leaving out Residental, which takes place entirely inside the Court's confines. You know, the presumably large park that is sufficiently far away a train is needed to reach it.

Its probably best not to think too hard about how big the Court is.

Yeah, I think it's defined in a loose way for the same reason Tom draws characters in a more basic way when they're a certain distance away: it's for the convenience of the story. It's interesting to think about the world beyond the Court and the Wood, but I wouldn't be surprised if it never comes up in the comic, or at least not until the very end.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I re-read the entire archives of GC every morning and I do all of the movements along with the characters so I don't see what y'all are complaining about

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Waffnuffly posted:

Do you open-palm slam the URL into your address bar?

Not many people can say they've defended themselves against an age-old swordfighting revenge ghost.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Everybody sing along:

E-bo-ny, and tech-no-lo-gy
Live to-ge-ther in per-fect har-mo-ny
Side by side at Gun-ner-krigg Court
Oh Lord why don't weeeeeeeeeeee...

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
"continued kissing and also smooching"

May I just say that this comic has some of the best sound effects.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
This is going to be a fun one.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Just a thought: I find it kind of weird that we're five chapters into the fourth book, after this momentous event that put everyone at the court in danger--and this is the first we've seen of any of the adults. Still no Eglamore, still no Anja.

I imagine that when Eglamore and Annie meet again, it's going to be very awkward.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Bobulus posted:

So this chapter is apparently about Red getting a name. It occurs to me that we've got two other characters (Robot, Shadow 2) that really need better names, too. Wonder if that will come up.

Robot 2.0 and Shadow 2.0.1.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
This is like the joke about imported video games where the U.S. cover has to have every character snarling, sexed-up, or both.

Also, oddly enough, Kat's nose and mouth have combined to form the bismuth symbol.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Roger Explosion posted:

I know there's a "taste like a liar" joke in here somewhere, but I'm having trouble thinking abut who should be licking who.

That's a good sign.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Oh, so this is where Red comes in.

In three pages she'll be asking Shadow for dieting tips.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
You're forgetting that Parley's in Thornhill and she's not "entirely normal".

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I'm still holding out hope that any minute now a bell's going to ring, or Twisted Sister's going to start playing over the loudspeaker, and the real lesson will start.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
If there is a place in the Court that's all run-down and cracked, it's probably the humanities department.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Took me forever to notice the grey outlines of Annie and others at the bottom.

I can see why Tom loved drawing this chapter--he drew fairies before Gunnerkrigg even began.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Pardot posted:

Here's a better one I just made. It will figure out the max one instead of it being hard coded (but only if you're on gunnerkrigg.com) http://randomgunnerkrigg.herokuapp.com/

It put me at the start of the best chapter, A Ghost Story, and now oh hey last half-hour where did you go

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

No need to make this comic the next MSPA or MLP.

Yes there is. GC is better than both of them put together. :colbert:

E: It's only when there's creepy cosplaying fans that call themselves "Bro-nerkriggs" that there's a problem.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 11, 2012

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Brannock posted:

Besides, MSPA/MLP avatars tend to be irritating because of the spastic animations. GC avatars are nice and static :)

I miss my old laughing Coyote :(

It missed you too, apparently!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

DarklyDreaming posted:

I love that everyone in Foley house's first reaction to Annie going to the Ethereal realm is to crowd around and grab her from every angle.

She's ether-surfing.

Also, why do all the fairies talk like they're hailing a taxi on Flatbush Avenue?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

WeaponBoy posted:

Plus she also managed to leave her thumb print on the moon.

Chang'e meeting Annie for the first time:

"I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you..."

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Tea-san posted:

It's great to see all these avatars from my comic! Thanks guys!

It's cheesy as hell but I'll say it anyway:

There's ten die-hard fans of GC for every idiot that thinks you're a "weak god drat writer". Keep on keepin' on.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Nondevor posted:

The flipped versions just look weird to me :shobon:

On another note, I'm trying to introduce a friend to Gunnerkrigg. I've shown her some Coyote art pages, but a few more examples would be better. Any ideas?

Have her read A Ghost Story, it's probably the best chapter that works as a self-contained story.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Elysiume posted:

edit:

The entire thing, shrunk down to 125x125.

Dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiit

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Pester posted:

I could see her saying that, too. Kat really is the best character.

Also, this thread is giving me all kinds of warm fuzzies. If the avatar fairy comes forward, Tom should draw them a fairy avatar. :3

Ahahaha this is the best $200 I've ever seen spent on the forums.

Avatar fairy, stay anonymous and mysterious and awesome. :allears:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Olivia42 posted:

The way it starts so light and funny and all of a sudden moves to such heavy subject matter made it so much fun... No! I'm in the middle of my reread of the print versions! I can't go back and read that chapter until the chronologically appropriate time! Must resist!

On that note, I've found myself remembering, on reread, parts of my life that correspond with what was going on in Gunnerkrigg Court at the time. If that's not the sign of a classic, I don't know what is.

I remember finding out Annie was part fire spirit in an internet cafe in South Africa.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
It's a (belated) Woodland Critter Christmas!

8-point buck kid rules.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Former ice queen, meet current ice queen.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought it could be that, then I remembered the guy showing Annie his waterfall. Wouldn't a water spirit have that same prejudice?

I repeat:

quote:

Former ice queen, meet current ice queen.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Where the hell did that hovercraft go, by the way?

The same place as the cursed teapot?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Fecha posted:

Apparently there are Langoliers in the ether.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Nerokerubina posted:

Giant worm, who is your most favorite player on the New England Patriots?

Aaron Hernandez, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-leC2weJSU

MOIDALIZED