Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Fecha posted:

This is fun, which webcomic are we going to critique next

Also

have you heard about the legacy of Dominic Deegan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I think I started reading gunnerkrigg court like a decade ago, then stopped after chapter 21 when other stuff grabbed my attention. I was reminded of it in February of last year when someone on a Discord mentioned how bad the Jerrek/Lana/elves scene is -- I came back at the end of chapter 86 and been riding the roller coaster since then.

After catching up with the thread, I'm glad I didn't get invested in this comic because it sounds like a radical downfall.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
seems like this is a case of of Tom copying ya fiction tropes wthout examining what works, what doesn't, and why -- nothing more

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
guess we're speedrunning the ending

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Patware posted:

reading renard's "Is it?" as incredulous

i'm incredulous too. i don't know what's going on.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
surprised he didn't go with the sphinx riddle

i'm getting really sick of the dot faces

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
i laughed

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
enough action, time for exposition

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
It's weird how it feels like we're meandering and rushing at the same time.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

isasphere posted:

I just realized that Lana was eaten by Coyote and no psychopomp showed up (so, not a real death, or there is no psychopomp assigned to that jurisdiction because it's brand new, or the numans have no souls). Annie would have noticed, right?

does Tom remember this

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
kinda makes these characters look generic and disposable when you have a bald guy standing over the body of a bald guy

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Feels like we should be approaching a climax but keep stalling on needless digressions

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I believe Jerrek took Annie and Kat to where the missing robots were buried, then Coyote showed up, blah blah blah, trapped in a distortion

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
are we approaching a climax or anything resembling one soon

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm still not sure how we ended up here. This started off with Loup attacking Coyote, which caused Zimmy to pull an Akira and now everyone's in a distortion, seemingly setting the stage for a final confrontation -- except Kat tells Annie to "get home and let [everyone] know what's going on", so Annie and the meat slaves set off to... leave, I guess, except they're stopped by easily dispatched monsters and teleported to a desert where Annie kicks a gopher and exchanges planar technobabble with Kat. This enables Annie to transport everyone to a forest where nothing happens, the group finds the bridge and there's speculation one of them might be Zimmy, more exposition over a walkie-talkie, Robot appears, Annie freaks out, more setting changes, young Agent 47 is killed by a ghost, and now this extended digression about psychopomps and souls and the ether and nothing follows anything logically.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
lol no resemblance except hair length and color

edit: this is how zimmy looked a little over a year ago.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 18, 2024

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
gettin' real sick of the dot faces for background characters

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I really hate this page.

Besides what others have mentioned, the dialogue is clunky af. Tom needs to finish this and write something he has passion for, because this is dire.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 30, 2024

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Is there danger or not

why doesn't anyone care that they're trapped in an alternate dimension

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh god, I didn't even consider Lana might be in the mix. That's concerning.

yeah it's probably lana

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

lih posted:

https://www.hummingfluff.com/testimonycomic/

it's a wild read but it's also very easy to see how she ended up how she did. like, the sort of of person who thinks of themselves as progressive but thinks about things in the way she did (at least in her telling of her past views) is exactly the sort of person who's going to have a weird spiral and get into conspiracy theories and reconvert to christianity even if i wouldn't have necessarily expected that to all be triggered by obsessing over the heat death of the universe

I kind of went through a similar process: raised Christian, questioned a lot of things, didn't like the answers, became an atheist, descended into misanthropic nihilism due to a combination of severe depression and almost universal rejection by my peers. Humans were fundamentally evil and stupid, there is no objective meaning to life so nothing matters, etc., etc. After a long period of therapy, positive interactions with people, and reading authors like Marx, Fanon, and others, I realized the problem wasn't human nature, but the systems in place designed to exploit the underclasses.

Seems like she really needed an intervention and I get the feeling she never explored therapy due to her upbringing.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
if the next page is an exposition dump with no explanation of who not-Zimmy is i'm gonna be pissed

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
This had better lead to something

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
gently caress yeah, more people who played Learning Company games

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it's not worth complaining about this page tbh, it's just connective tissue.

it kinda feels like all connective tissue at this point

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
the non-physics definition of inertia is "a tendency to do nothing or to remain unchanged" so

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Does Tom have any idea where this is all supposed to end up, or is he stalling for time?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

OgreNoah posted:

I have no idea what's happening now. It doesn't really matter, I suppose.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
oh poo poo, something's gonna happen???

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
ugh. UGH

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Just tells us who she is ffs

There's building tension or drawing out a mystery, and then there's wasting the reader's loving time

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 9, 2024

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
"but robot-kun, you are so beautiful! ~uguu" 0_0

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

just hurry up and make Robot the psychopomp of the New People

hahahahaha it all comes together

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh... Gunnerkrigg Court...

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I lost it at Annie and Shadow gawping at Robot while Zimmy/Lana/whoever ponders the situation in the background. This loving comic.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Kat is gonna be like "I forgive you, Robot" and Robot will say "your mercy shames me, my goddess" and Kat will say "ha ha, jeez!" And then Annie will say "that's why you're so great, Kat" and Kat responds with "ha ha, jeez!"

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
My reaction:

Caphi posted:

Seems to me like the point was that they were taking it pretty seriously.

ugh, the numens look so boring compared to the old robots

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Tom's "shellfish" pun makes me cringe

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Oxxidation posted:

the author notes have usually been glib, I don’t think this is something to get worked up about

ordinarily i'd ignore it, but

coolusername posted:

We’re making cutesy author note puns about a formerly beloved character trying to commit suicide out of self-loathing and guilt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Robot ate three umbilical cords and is now a Great One.

Flavahbeast posted:

sick Bloodborne ref