Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Walker posted:

There are some fiendishly observant people that read this comic.

I can re-read Gunnerkrigg, or go back and catch up on Dominic Deegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tupperwarez posted:

Wait a minute. A bird-like robot, made by a 'divine being', and not Diego? Hasn't Kat been working on robot limb designs based on bird musculature? And all the robots agree that she is an angel, with the power to 'resurrect' the dead elders...

Is time travel possible in the Gunnerkrigg universe? Are we about to find out?

There has to be a reason she's called an angel in the first place-- and I don't think it's got anything to do with her outfit.

:10bux: says Kat has a similar-looking robotics wizard ancestor.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rasamune posted:

Perhaps it goes both ways!

That's what she said.

Apropos of nothing I'm curious to see if that whole lesbian thing is going to be A Thing recurrently.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

What do you mean 'a thing'. They're a couple, I assume they'll continue to be.

Kat seemed rather offput by the idea that anyone would think that they're more than "just friends", is the reason why I'm wondering.

Antimony, on the other hand, seemed to have come back from the forest rather more open-minded.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

Oh, I assumed you meant Zimmy and Gamma, who are of course an actual lesbian couple in addition to being telepathically bonded who-knows-what-the-gently caress-as-well. Y'know, since this page was about Zimmy.

Yeah, obviously Annie and Kat aren't a couple. No idea what you mean by Annie being more open minded towards that kind of thing.

Sorry, my that's-what-she-said comment just brought that entire awkward chapter to mind.

And I don't mean Annie being more open-minded towards that kind of thing specifically, she just seems rather more comfortable in herself and loose with the "rules" since she got back from the forest.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kismet posted:

Nice try guys, I called all this months ago.

The last update, Annie wakes up and sees a pair of birds perched on her windowsill, one of whom looks remarkably Kat-like.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DaveWoo posted:

Of course! Gunnerkrigg Court is actually an allegory for American politics in the 1990s! It all fits together!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Gunnerkrigg Court: Actually an allegory for American politics in the 1990s

That said, I'm in the Jones-as-a-neutrality-representation thing. I'm half-expecting to see Kat show up in the next update.

Of course, given how these things are going, that half-expectation also includes:
- Zimmy touches Kat, Kat starts seeing the vision too
- Kat shows up half naked
- Hilarity ensues

Perestroika posted:

I'm not too certain about that. While Kat definitely has an affinity for all things technical, her experiences regarding Diego and the old robots seem to have made her a fair bit more apprehensive about the Court itself.

I think it would be fair to say Kat's on the Court end of Neutral. Despite having misgivings about the management, as it were, I think she'd be uncomfortable with the forest in general and she is very tech-minded.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 14, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nettle Soup posted:

Oh, I get it. The mask is a happy face, she was upset when she went into the forest, but when she returned, she wore a happy face.

Hm. Based on the spirit disappearance, I'm reading the mask as "pretend to be court person", myself. She looked pretty legit happy when she got back from the forest in the first place.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think Smith mentioned that fact awhile back.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Am I the only one worried about the fact that the panel borders are starting to go wonky?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bitchtits McGee posted:

No, seriously.

Sorry, all I've got is the giant :psypop: whose eyes erupt into a bunch of tiny :psyduck:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Potsticker posted:

I'd take the under if 4.5 is the bar. If it doesn't make sense by the end of next week (3 more updates) then I fully expect it to start making sense at 4.

I'll bet that this chapter ends in under 4.5 updates, but I don't expect that any of it will make sense until we get the Coyote exposition chapter.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Man Whore posted:

EDIT-I remember seeing a portrait or painting like this before but hell if I can remember it or who painted it.

Reminds me of the Keeper of the Scrolls from Darkseed, which I think is itself a copy of another Geiger image.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
City Face is already slimming down for his summer appearance. He's just such a great actor, so dedicated. :3:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Because Zimmy in Kat's dream is actually Annie :ssh:

edit: Happy Annie is kind of unnerving. What is going on?

Between Happy Annie's expression and her use of "goin", I wonder if there's some residual Zimmy personality in there.

I wonder if Annie's going to ask Kat about the pidgeon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Comic update.

The makeup's back.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Hard to check from my phone, but how many of those shake lines are from rage?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know. We haven't seen the bad side of Coyote yet, really, and I'm hoping that trend continues. I also don't recall Annie doing anything silly that would piss Coyote off since the last forest outing, unless "showing her classmates Coyote's tooth" counts.

Maybe we can catch up on what she learned about Smith while she was in the forest? :allears:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think...that she's not the court.

1: As noted, Wandering Eye wouldn't fit too well with something that was recently, comparatively, created, and is extremely set in place, and I don't think Coyote would give a "wrong" name.

2: Annie knows what Jones is, or at least, as well as she's able to understand Coyote's explanation of it. And since she doesn't know much about the Court apart from growing from the seed bismuth, I doubt Jones and the Court are related at that base a level.

3: I somehow can't see Tea making a character the literal personification of a set of buildings.

Now, I would have originally assumed that Jones is another Reynardine-like character-- possibly one of those giants that they mention occasionally, with some sort of shapeshifting ability (possibly granted by Coyote). Which would fit a bit better with the Wandering Eye comment.

That said, I can't easily make that assumption, because it seems like Annie would be able to grok that easily enough. Which means that she's something so completely foreign and unrelated to what we've seen so far that we probably can't even start to guess what she actually is.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KSAF Staff Report posted:

Sorry, I should have made my transition in thinking to her being Jeanne reincarnated clearer. But not truly reincarnated, as part of her is trapped guarding the river.
What I find so evil about the court is that they seemed unwilling to find someone who would volunteer to defend the river. I mean, this is a life-or death situation here.
And she certainly isn't given powers by Coyote. She's too controlled for that.
I guess when I said Court I meant the concept of the humans who live in the Court, not just the buildings.

Oh, right, sorry, I was pretty tired when I typed up my post and completely missed your last paragraph or so there.

That said, I don't think she's Jeanne, either, because of how late Jeanne came into the picture. Somehow I don't think someone with a name like Wandering Eye got that nickname over the course of...what, maybe a hundred years? I don't really have anything concrete to base it on, but from the way Jones and Coyote were talking, I get the feeling they're super old friends.

And I don't think "given powers by Coyote" and "super controlled" are necessarily at odds. It's not like getting Coyote powers really binds you to the forest, either-- Coyote doesn't strike me as the actual "leader" of the forest. Coyote does what Coyote wants and doesn't give a gently caress about this whole Court-Forest thing-- he just happens to live in the forest, much like Jones just happens to live in the Court. Ysengrin strikes me as more the actual "forest advocate", as it were.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

No, it's panel 7. When I look at him I can see him waving his paw and speaking imperiously.

"I apologize for nothing!"

Now I want to shop a bowl of grapes there.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
poo poo just got real.

I look forward to seeing if it's going to be Annie taken down a peg, or taking the brunt of Coyote's anger with as much of a poker face as she has in panel 5.

I'm hoping for the latter, but I think Annie's forgotten the fact that she couldn't look at Coyote etherically without passing out before.

Edit: Can I also just say that I love the complete 180 in terms of Ysengrin's and Coyote's reactions from the last "spankies" episode in the court.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 16, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I mean, technically the story is still narrated by Antimony from some indeterminate future point, yes? Since an "...and then I died, ZING!" twist seems far too cheap for Siddell, we can be reasonably confident she'll come out of any situation alive...but not necessarily well...

Actually, given the combination of post-death etheric contact, the fact that she knows every spirit of death on a first-name basis, and the whole fire-spirit thing, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the comic ends with Annie dead and watching over her kid from the afterlife, and telling all this to her mom. Which would be a pretty :unsmith: ending, imo.

Edit: Or possibly choosing the forest, converting back to an immortal fire elemental, and telling this story to the potential court mediums hundreds of years in the future.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mulatto Butts posted:

I am in love with washing machine Ysengrin.

Edit: Admittedly not as much as I love that third to last panel of Coyote calling him useless and rubbing his paws all over the face. Ysengrin has the best faces, and it's hilarious to see him so expressive. That panel is now my favourite panel in all the Court :allears:

2nd edit: my favourite panel so far, that is. I always manage to be surprised by this comic.

The evolution of Ysengrin's emotive range makes me super happy.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Yay! Story time. Why Coyote is so excited he's gone to pieces.

Also, for those who saying Ysengrin wasn't threatening anymore. I think today's comic shows he still is.

I'm actually a little curious about this. For all the verbal abuse he takes from Coyote, it seems odd that this would put him over the edge. I can't tell if he's angry at Annie or Coyote, though...and I wonder what the secret could possibly be to piss him off so badly?

In before "We don't get the secret, just Coyote saying 'That story's not good enough' for 30 pages".

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I have no idea what's going on in this thread but I'm pretty sure it's fantastic.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I believe it's a seed, though I can't seem to recall where I got that idea from.

The first time I recall it mentioned is from the time Kat brought the old robot back to life. It's one of the last things he says before he dies again.

Edit: Found it. And it is the seed Bismuth.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 21, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

idonotlikepeas posted:

My interpretation is that Anthony is trying to save Annie from dying the way her mother did. But he's persisting in seeing the fire elementalism as an infection or affliction that she has, whereas it's actually Annie herself that is the fire elemental, and her body is kind of worthless without it. He probably thought he had the problem licked with Surma, or that he'd be able to beat it, but he couldn't, so it's not likely he's going to give up with Annie.

As for quicksilver, alchemists used to believe that it was a kind of proto-metal that could be transformed into other metals with the correct infusion (usually of sulfur). Mercury mixes easily with many other substances; bismuth, for instance. Or antimony, which has very similar chemical properties to bismuth.

Eh, I'm sure that's all coincidental.

Edit:

Mercury.

Hey, I remember that page.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Moskau posted:

That, or...

let's not say terrible things we can't take back

I do wonder, when this is all tied up, how much of the overarching plot was set in stone when the comic started and how much has been changed over time in a reverse-cerebus-syndrome "I don't want the characters I've gotten attached to to feel bad or uncomfortable on-screen"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone accidentally restarts the SSH server while they're SSH'd in at least once

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It just runs in the family, we're finally finding out why Anja's eyes are always all black

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Snake Maze posted:

Anja has actually been mad with power all this time.

anja's going to come by like "oh yeah I remember the first time I transcended humanity and monologued like a supervillian, so embarassing in hindsight, they grow up so fast, don't do anything I wouldn't do kat" and that'll be that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Next page is paz still smiling and “Kat, I’m breaking up with you”, end chapter

timeskip six months

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Randalor posted:

... wait, what about the robot zombies?

died again on the way to their home planet

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Esme posted:

So I used to love Gunnerkrigg Court but kinda stopped following it, uh, a year? two? ago. It was around the time that Annie got split in two, I wasn't really feeling where the plot was going and just forgot to keep checking in on it at some point. I was thinking about catching up with it, but skimming the last couple pages of this discussion it seems like things have only gone downhill since then. Is it worth my time to catch up with the comic, or should I keep the good memories of it that I have and make up my own ending?

wait until it’s done and rip the bandaid off all at once

i’m only checking it out of habit at this point tbh

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

There Bias Two posted:

Imagine if Paz's final line in the comic is "well..."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CodfishCartographer posted:

The Dominic Deeganification of Gunnerkrigg Court

the signs were there all along

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

There Bias Two posted:

It's going to be revealed that they found out about it off-screen between the last chapter and this one. During that time they developed their plan to capture him as well, also off-screen.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CodfishCartographer posted:

Isn't there that weird faceless wobbly figure that appeared when Kat went to that meeting for the star ocean?

Not that they've been established hardly at all, and have only appeared the one time.

the wobbly faced figure is going to show up in a post-chapter one page and chide you for disliking their wobbly-faced appearance, they can't help that they were born this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
how many pages until something happens that everyone blames annie for because they all think loup is cool now