Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

sitchelin posted:

I wonder if Parley will work her teleporting into her fighting. Why parry an oncoming attack when you can just bip behind someone?

I was under the impression that Parley still doesn't have a whole lot of control over her teleporting unless Andrew is helping her. Not to mention teleporting around in a fight would probably be disorienting as hell. If she were to pop behind Jeanne but facing the wrong direction, she'd likely end up with two feet of ghost sword sticking through her chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I find it kind of terrible/hilarious that ChibiSoma was the first thing I thought of after I read this page.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zenzirouj posted:

No, but he was the first one dumb enough to do it all over the internet under the same username as he has here and then also post about it in a thread that Tea-san reads.

Not to mention a lot of direct insulting of Tom and his writing. He's not the first person, just the most spergy.

And yeah, this page is just Kat being hyper-sensitive about the whole thing since Paz and misinterpreting harmless actions as the gay. Presumably the rest of the chapter will be spent teaching her there's nothing wrong with that. A very special episode of Gunnerkrigg Court.

That's not what I actually think is going to happen.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Have you gotten the point now, Tom? We want to give you money. So much money.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
^^^^^ Considering Coyote said it could cut the earth itself, I think the first explanation is more likely.

SynthOrange posted:

It's just a laughing sword that can cut through linework. What's the worst that could happen?

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that. So its a laughing sword made from the tooth of a trickster god that can literally distort/cut reality around it.

SOLID PLAN KIDS LET'S GO FIGHT THAT RAGE GHOST

1stGear fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 26, 2011

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

sansuki posted:

I just want to point out that Shadow 2 is casting a shadow.

This is actually just how the Shadows reproduce. Don't worry guys, just got some miracle of life going on here.

Shadow 2 looks shocked because he's not ready to be a father. :(

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You people are leaving out Residental, which takes place entirely inside the Court's confines. You know, the presumably large park that is sufficiently far away a train is needed to reach it.

Its probably best not to think too hard about how big the Court is.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Saoshyant posted:

Please carry on with your studies.

That's actually my least favorite page in the entire comic, entirely because of the third panel. "Oh, its okay Carver, no consequences for your actions!"

I'm glad Tom's writing has improved since then.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
And since the customary "Read from a random page" thing always results in something nifty: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=592

I love subtle foreshadowing. :allears:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

LtStorm posted:

Going by your avatar text...I would be surprised if there was something you didn't find her attractive in.

Look, we've discussed this, Eglamore isn't a robot.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

Try not to undress the male students, Jones.

(Apologies in advance to anyone who gets stuck rereading past chapters all day.)

Huh. Has this ever been used?

Elysiume posted:

That's probably my favorite panel of Annie and seeing it painted is just ludicrously gorgeous.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Electric Pope posted:

Thanks whoever bought me this avatar! It's even the one I was considering grabbing, what with all the coyote ones being taken/called.

If only the game your title text is from was as good as Gunnerkrigg. :negative:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Boxman posted:

I liked it a lot. :shobon:

Great text/avatar combination, though.

I also like it a lot. I regularly reinstall it once I've forgotten the collision detection issues, incredibly lovely combat, and half-assed story. :(

But, man, when it clicks...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kinda thinking about taking this one, but I don't want to abandon gobsmacked Annie. :ohdear:

Nondevor posted:

On another note, I'm trying to introduce a friend to Gunnerkrigg. I've shown her some Coyote art pages, but a few more examples would be better. Any ideas?

Show her this page. Seriously, if anyone has doubts about the early artwork, just show them that page.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Aw yeah, about to get us some learning on how the Ether works.

Tom also continues to pump out amazing avatar material with panel 4.

EDIT: Although after fiddling with it, it seems to be hard as poo poo to actually make into a decent-looking avatar. I can just barely get her face in there but most of her hair and hands gets cut off. :(

1stGear fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 30, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That sounds like Glitterbomber's, though I don't know if he posts here.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm going to laugh if Anthony showing up is treated as a total non-event. Just "Hey, Annie, sorry for not being here" "'Sokay dad."

I realize that's not going to happen, but it'd be hilarious if it did.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Gunnerkrigg Court Thread (cellphone static discussion station)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

After hearing all the praise for this comic, I decided to read it, and I caught up this morning.

If it wasn't for all the praise, though, I probably would have just stopped after Chapter 5. It was just really dull and Antimony was too emotionless to relate to. It only started to get interesting in Chapter 14.

It has gotten better though, after Antimony came out of her shell a bit and started seeming more human.

Yeah, you really need to bear with the early chapters. The art will get fantastic and the writing will become excellent, but it had some growing pains to go through first. You will not regret sticking with it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Maybe this chapter will prompt the adults to start telling Annie and Kat some of the history of their parents and the Court.

Oh wait, that would mean Tom answering questions. :argh:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Macaluso posted:

He's Iago from Aladdin

I'm pretty much with this, although maybe higher-pitched and not quite as raspy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TOAST7312 posted:

Listen to the song "Awkward Annie".
When the lyrics "I will die if you don't come near me" came up I :gbsmith:'d.

2-SECOND EDIT: The cover art showed in the beginning of this video looks suspiciously

Mr. Slidell. If the kinda :smith: way I'm interpreting this song is how GC progresses and ends, I'm going to be a little cross with you.

VVV Annie ignores all the attempts to connect to her and in the end walks away, leaving an emotional ruin behind her. Obviously, that first bit has already been avoided but still. :ohdear:

1stGear fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 2, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I feel bad for laughing at this page, but all of her facial expressions after the third panel are so hilarious.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 2, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Robo Pope posted:

Why. Why are people so horrible?

The worst part is that we don't have a ChibiSoma equivalent for this latest episode of the Internet leaking on GC.

Wait, no, the worst part is when somebody photoshopped a dick in the mouth of a 14-year old girl.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It just kinda seems like a "life goes on" kind of phrase. I don't think ghosts make the world go around in Gunnerkrigg Court.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Oh man, ice creams makes everything better.

Also, I'm guessing Donald is a TECHNO-WIZARD

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Whoa drat, that is some crazy news. It was only TopatoCo that Tom gets royalties from, right? Gonna have to say to hell with waiting for Volume 2 to go on stock and order 1 and 3 now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If I had a valkyrie macking up on me, I'd think it was pretty awkward and wouldn't know what to do either.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

pandaK posted:

Next thing you know you'll be teleporting all over the place, what a nuisance

"So, uh, when do we learn how to teleport and talk to etheric beings?"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Just ordered Volume 1 from Topatoco, gonna have to wait on another paycheck to get Volume 2. Here's hoping this works out Tom!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Still kinda favoring Tony here. I mean, yeah, she's slathering herself over tables for him now, but next Wednesday she'll be demanding he die in glorious battle and earn his place in Valhalla. Valkyries are high-maintenance girlfriends.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

None of them came for Surma.

Wait a sec. If Annie had to lead Surma's ghost/spirit/soul away after death, then obviously there was something left to take. So why didn't a guide come for her? And where did Annie take her?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Donny and Anthony sent satellites into orbit as a hobby. Said satellites are still there in a stable orbit.

As a hobby.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This computer is starting to stretch my disbelief a bit.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

flatluigi posted:

This is a high magic (or indistinguishably advanced technology) setting, man. It's not a deus ex machina just because it has powers.

This is lazy writing. "Oh, its magic, it can do whatever." Its the exact same thing that Mookie gets slammed on all the time in the Dominic Deegan thread and is an awful trap for any fantasy writer. Its worse here when the setting is specifically Magic vs. Technology and the technology guys are making doors appear and teleporting objects and making impenetrable shields with a wizard computer. Every chapter this computer appears it, its had a new, previously undocumented ability.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a deus ex machina yet, simply because it hasn't been used as an easy out for a conflict. So far, its pretty much just been a shortcut so we don't have to see a three comic montage of Donald collecting supplies. There are other ways to do that, but Tom feels the computer is important to show off and I'm okay with that to a point. I'm just worried it'll feature creep to a point that the Court has abilities that are indistinguishable from something that a blinker stone or Ysengrin can do.

VVVV Its not that the two can match each other, its that they become indistinguishable. The robot-shadow people dichotomy is actually a really good example because the robots are clearly technological, both in design and how real-life society views the concept, while the shadow people are clearly fantastical/mythological. Similar, but distinctly different in tone and style and fit the Magic vs. Technology concept. But what's the difference between Annie teleporting her blinker stone (an object of the Wood with magical powers) and Donald teleporting his pipe? We're told that the latter is done through a computer, sure, but does that really appear to affect the process? It was still done as easily as Annie summoning her stone, just with some squiggly white lines around it instead.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 30, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dias posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court Thread: Much Ado About RPG-Hammerspace Inventories.

...since that's basically it. Also, magic door, but I suppose it fits the theme of manipulating space and poo poo.

And instantly imprisoned Reynardine.

And completely blocked Ysengrin.

And can be instantly accessed from anywhere (Though that page does mention a limitation: apparently has to have an item to link to. Not that we're shown what Donny and Eglamore need).

And can disperse raging infernos.

Don't worry though, just because this magical wizard computer that apparently has the greatest wireless connection in the world can completely negate two of the three literal gods in this setting as well as shut out the powers of Annie's blinker stone by its users waving their hands around and drawing runes doesn't make it magical or limitless or anything.

It is okay to criticize a comic you enjoy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bongo Bill posted:

Magic runes are visual shorthand for "This is a kind of magic that has rules." The computer uses magic; accessing it from anywhere is something that blinker stones were known to be capable of (and in a much less limited way once you learn how), so once you've got that, somebody authorized to use the computer can do so from anywhere. Then they make the gesture for draw_anti_reynardine_rune.exe and the computer does it. This, of course, only works because they already knew the magic spell that would have that effect, which is legitimate. It seems pretty straightforward to me.

I would be okay with this. Its an explanation that limits the abilities of the computer while still giving it a broad enough base to be useful and it doesn't require a solid page of text like some people seem to think an explanation requires. And you're right, an item that combines magic and technology would be consistent with the themes. There just needs to be boundaries. This is pretty much the first rule of speculative fiction writing: your fantastical elements need to have limits that the reader is aware of. Pretty much every other part of GC has followed that, with the exception of the computer.

quote:

Both of those could easily be described as different uses of the same power creating hard light objects, but then you and tubgirl would say its too powerful because the same thing that could be used to stop a sharp branch arm could be used to stop a sword or a bullet

Is that how it works? Cool. Show me that. So next chapter when Donny waves his hand around and stops Jeanne from impaling Parley, it doesn't sound like an asspull.

Let's phrase this in a different situation: Ysengrin has been specifically stated to only have control over trees. An impressive ability with wide-ranging implications, but one of limited effectiveness outside the forest. He's powerful, but with clear limitations that Tom has to operate in and the reader can trust in. Tom didn't outright come and say "Well, Ysengrin is super-weak outside the forest!", the entire concept was clearly and easily laid out by saying he just has control over trees. But if next chapter, Ysengrin charges into the Court and starts blowing up buildings, with the explanation being "Because.", is that effective writing?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tea-san posted:

People have called me a bad and lazy writer since the day I started the comic, but that's fine, I know this is the internet and I am not perfect. I hope people at least enjoy the story.

In my defense, I was calling the concept that "sometimes magic is just magic" lazy writing, not specifically describing you. I think you are a very good writer and knowing that you've planned things out is reassuring :)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm honestly not certain what you're trying to say with most of your post. I think some of the confusion comes from argument drift in some of my own posts so I'll make my central problem clear: the computer and what it can do seem hella ill-defined and awfully powerful. Tom explained some of the reasoning and indicated there would be explanations later in the story so I'm satisfied.

I mostly don't have problems with the computer being semi-magical (or Donald and Anja, as Tom mentioned) because as someone else said, magic and technology fusing together would support and layer some of the ideas in GC.

quote:

The logistics of how either work are not important to the story, all that matters is how the story uses them, the fact that they exist isn't lazy.

That said, the logistics of how Harry's invisibility cloak were frequently quite important to the story: he couldn't be seen, but he could be heard and touched, and the cloak could be easily removed. Rowling used those simple rules to generate tension in drat near every scene the cloak was used in, tension that could only exist if it was clear to the reader how the cloak worked.

quote:

And a deus ex machina isn't something that's introduced and then later used to save the day, a deus ex machina is something powerful that literally comes out of nowhere to save the day.

A previously existing object that suddenly develops new powers as the plot demands also qualifies as a deus ex machina. Dominic Deegan provides eternally great examples in its SEE THE TRUTH spell which has been around for a while and is continuously used as a "Get out of conflict free" card. I don't think the computer is a deus ex machina because it hasn't been used like that, just that it has the potential to become one. But Tom has made it clear that he knows what he's doing with it.

VVVVV It wasn't a comparison, it was an example, and physical/magical conflicts do exist in GC. They exist in support of the emotional ones, and the emotional ones are more significant, but they are there.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So that sure is Anthony with teenage Annie.