Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Coyote just isn't professional. He's always looking at the camera and laughing when he shouldn't be. Not like that consummate master City Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You guys who are defending Antimony are mixing up what she eventually develops into with what she's initially presented as. In the first few chapters, she's talented at everything, gets out of every tight spot with uncommon ease, and there's no evidence of the social awkwardness that plagues her later on. Its another one of the humps you have to get over in early GC.

"It gets better later" is absolutely a valid answer but "Its kind of lousy now" is a valid complaint.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Smelly posted:

Does anyone think we're actually going to get a straight answer on what Jones actually is? I can see it diverting in the next comic.

I think we'll get a fairly conclusive answer as to what Jones is. However, I'm increasingly starting to suspect that even Jones is not quite certain what she is.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fighting Trousers posted:

I don't know about imitating, but this does cast a different light on this page. It reads more like she's saying what she thinks he wants/needs to hear.

I wonder if Annie is going to ask about that particular display of "emotion". Assuming Jones actually told her "I was totally feeling up on your gym teacher after your mom dropped him aww yeah" and didn't skip straight to the filling factory.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeesh. Killing Jones would probably be as easy as cutting a shadow from the floor.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

tsundair posted:

Ouch, that page hit me deep.

So, Jones will be Jimmy Jims' friend for the rest of his life. The life that's a speck in Jones'. And she's just collecting information, only to go on to the next person after he's died. Repeat ad infinitum.

A sad existence.

She's probably been doing this for as long as humans have existed. Even if she's overstating her lack of emotions, I imagine that you would eventually come to terms with the brevity of human lives.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zemyla posted:

On an odd note, does Jones have a belly button? I can't imagine why she would, other than looking more human.

It kinda looks like she has one here although its hard to tell. Since Tom covered up the relevant bits, I'd assume Jones is, uh, fully human in appearance.

Now lets stop thinking about that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zemyla posted:

Yeah. Another sign of the divide being healed is the fact that robots didn't have belief before - look at The Sky Watcher and the Angel. Now they do, and who knows how that affects the Ether.

Oh poo poo, I didn't even think about that. If robot beliefs can affect the ether the same way human beliefs do, and the robots all believe Kat is an angel/god...

Wait, they totally can. Zimmy being terrified of seeing Kat is a recent development. Meaning once the robots started believing Kat was an angel, it literally altered Kat's etheric signature or whatever.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

pik_d posted:

Is this "somebody" talking about her look back to Paz? I assumed that Kat is Paz's roommate and has second thoughts about abandoning her this way.

Unlikely.

quote:

Any thoughts? My guess is "No".

Tom has been pretty consistently bringing up this plotline in all of Kat's appearances since Faraway Morning, so I suppose its possible. Feels vaguely vulgar if he was intentionally making the pun though.

VVV "Bird" is apparently British slang for an attractive woman. Please note that I am not British and am getting this information from the Internet and may be completely wrong.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 26, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

@gunnerkrigg posted:

Yeesh. Legal threats in the mail kind of put a dampener on the day

:ohdear:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Donkringel posted:

My money is behind 1 because this is fairly momentous and Tom doesn't usually stick in gags like that so readily. It's not lfgcomic after all.

Except he totally does.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Prison Warden posted:

Countdown to chibisoma. 3, 2, 1 ....

quote:

Well, Gunnerkrigg Court's decided to sink ships and hook Annie up with Jack, it seems. Interest completely hit rock bottom. Thanks, Tom!
Oh good, generic straight romance #2,405,120. Yawn. No Kat/Annie End, no reading. Jack's the least interesting male since Chiba Mamoru.
And to Tom: gently caress you for not taking a god drat chance, you cowardly loving bitch. "Nope. Everyone has to be straight!" gently caress you.
Remember the lesson GCC teaches us: Be straight, otherwise your peers won't like you. #GunnerkriggCourt #fuckingasshole #badendconfirmed
Now I definitely need to get to work on writing a guide because otherwise the urge to strange that cowardly little prick won't go away.
Yeah, can't do it. Hey @gunnerkrigg - good job sinking ships and ruining the comic, you weak god drat writer.
@gunnerkrigg Can't have the main characters be bi/gay, right? That's for the two designated 'weirdo' characters, huh? gently caress you, you prick.
@gunnerkrigg No, really, it's nice of you to have a 'please stop reading now' arc. Real considerate of you.
@gunnerkrigg - proving that making a bi/gay character the lead isn't worth the trouble. You're really breakin' down barriers there, Tom.
Hey kids: If you're gay, you should be off where you can't be seen. You must be straight. Remember the lessons that @gunnerkrigg taught us.
loving makes me sick. Great, one more generic straight romance with a bland male lead. Good job @gunnerkrigg you loving coward.
Need to go watch @GeorgeTakei say/do things to calm down. Stupid anti-gay bullshit ruining my morning. Off to Youtube I go...

Its on page 83, you know, just in case.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Like (most) everyone else I love their friendship so much. They're so good for each other. I just hope that living together isn't a strain on that. One of the surest ways to test a relationship is to live together. My college best friend and I never really recovered from rooming together one semester.

I don't think it'll be so much living together that puts strain on them as Annie's new position. Even if she's still living and learning in the Court, Annie works for Coyote now. She has completely thrown her lot in with the etheric powers while Kat has become the new official Creator of the Court robots. They are diametrically opposed forces caught in the middle of the wider struggle between those two forces. So yeah, there's probably going to be some serious tension between the two in the future.

I think it'll turn out alright though. If I had to guess at a Deathly Hallows-esque epilogue for GC, it'd have Annie in some sort of leadership position in the Forest while Kat is the Court's headmistress and they've brought the Court and the Forest together in unity.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kikas posted:

I try to use Gunnerkrieg Court as a reference point in a blog idea I'm making, and I need some things that Gunnerkreig does right, and some things is does bad.
"Everything and nothing" are not valid answers, although it's pretty close. I'm stumped as to what I can find as a flaw in this, aside from the art at the very start, but one of the points of my blog is to ilustrate how an artist improves over time, and Tom improved in heaps during the course of the comic. The fact that everytime I try to find something to rant about, I end up reading the whole thing start to finish doesn't help either.

I guess that I could try to make a point out of the overwhelming amount of sub-plots going on, but there really isn't anything too confusing, it all fits nicely together and the story is told in a clear way. The other thing I thought about is the art incosistency, like sometimes it's beautiful "Annie sets her hair on fire page", and others it's "two blobs with stickman faces on them panel". But that's really stretching it.

Could it be that this is the Pinnacle of Webcomics? A universal standard to which we shall compare all other comics for eternity? Or am I just bad at finding flaws?

Like other people have mentioned, there's still a lot of little weirdness with the art, in particular profile shots. There's also the last panel of this page which is just an all-around hot mess.

In terms of writing, the comic has issues with pacing, most notably having nearly a month of "Jones is super old". The excuse some posters made while it was happening was that it flow fine in the print version or reading in the archives, but I assume that Tom isn't writing for the print version or the archives. I also object to the magical omnicomputer but that discussion has been settled.

And since criticism should come with praise, GC's art on the whole is ridiculously pretty. Divine was pretty much wall-to-wall beautiful and/or visually interesting pages while however poorly paced it was the Jones sequence also had some gorgeous bits. Furthermore, any discussion of GC's art would be lacking without mentioning the pages set in the ether and how great they are, particularly Red Gets a Name. Meanwhile, the characters have been well-developed, the subplots weave through the main plot nicely, and I get the feeling we starting to reach "poo poo hits the fan" territory pretty soon. Even while criticizing it, checking GC is the first thing I do on the applicable mornings.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It may not be the popular opinion but I personally feel the questions regarding Laundry List's involvement in the mysterious disappearance of piscine superstar Air Tunnel were never fully resolved. Frankly, Laundry got what was coming to him. :colbert:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's from Jones, obviously.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Never stop :3:ing

As for Annie's reaction, I think she's going to be super-pumped. She might be briefly confused that its Paz and not a boy, but that'll last like a panel and then straight back to being super-pumped.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hetty is the real villain of Gunnerkrigg Court.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Gonna post in the thread for the first time in like two months to say this is adorable.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Regy Rusty posted:

Hmm I'm not sure what if Paz just wanted to be friends??

E: Kissfriends maybe do those exist? It's all very confusing I think Kat should guess some more

There should probably be extensive additional (off-screen) smooching in order to make sure, no sense in leaving these things up to chance.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
tom, please draw Kat in a fedora next week tia

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I kind of envy the people who have forgotten what it's like to be 13 and stumbling through your first "real" relationship.

On the other hand, it apparently turns you into a horrible sperglord.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wednesday will be a smash cut to Annie sobbing over Reynardine's corpse.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Let's stop getting negative comments and post good ones!

quote:

And just when you thought it couldn't get cuter... It got 50 times cuter. Squeeeee!

Yay!

quote:

I have to be honest, I was really against this because I didn't think it made sense given the previous actions by the charactersbut who cares? This is really sweet and, having gone back through the archives, it is obvious that this has been coming for a while. Keep up the good work

YAY!!!!

quote:

THIS IS BY FAR THE SEXIEST PAGE EVER! wow I can't calm down. Bless you Tom.

wait no too far go back go back go back

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nitrousoxide posted:

They are like 14 years old right?

Correct. "Adorable" and "cute" are fine, but "sexy" is not a word that should be allowed within 300 feet of Kat and Paz.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

Gone too far and ruined the whole thing. I used to like and follow this but no longer. This is disgusting, I can't believe this was such a huge hit with everyone. This is wrong, not even regular animals show this type of affection in the wild. What are we? Are we worse than dogs? I liked this comic because it was clean and good entertainment but now I find it's just like the rest of the world...corrupt and immoral.

I like to assume this person then pulled on their weird mask made out of a color-shifting material, donned a fedora, and started scribbling in their journal.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheHeadSage posted:

I would love to see Kat's reaction to Annie just bursting into flames one day.

I would love to see Paz's reaction.

"So I heard you dumped my best friend." *WHOOSH* "LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The worst thing I can see happening would be Annie being a little weirded out by Kat dating another girl and the usual teenage tension that results from your best friend suddenly spending a lot of time with someone else.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Andrevian posted:

I'm not sure she'd be weirded out though. Granted, I took her "damnit, Carver" moment from the other chapter to be a demonstration that she totally has some idea of what's going on already.

Read Tom's comment on that page.

Tom posted:

Annie is descended from a long line of people with their feet in their mouths.

Its already been established that Annie is really bad at picking up social cues and PazKat has been a lot more subtle than Parley and Smitty were.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Oh man, Tom's stalling. Suddenly I am concerned. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Blackheart posted:

It was there the whole time :aaaaa:

Tom deletes the hundreds of pages he had detailing the intricate courtship and romance between Kat and Eagle Amor. Time to start again.