Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Dodgeball posted:

I always assumed it was the, now, head master.

No the whole Jeanne thing was supposed to be over a hundred years ago I always felt.

e: also I think the OP should have a link to the Gunnerkrigg Court Wiki, which is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

chiyosdad posted:

Edit: I have a question. Who is the girl with the white hair who sometimes shows up in end of chapter art?

That's Tea, and yeah she is just a narrator.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I have the horrible feeling they are going to escape but parley will be horribly disfigured or something else really bad.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I'm pretty sure ethereal damage will carry over into the real world somehow, I mean annie just has a little cut but I imagine a crazed ghost chopping up your soul will probably have more noticeable effects.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mirage posted:

Pardon my moment of wild speculation, but:
  • We know the Tic-Tocs were created even before the Court existed, supposedly by a god who was already there.
  • We know Coyote came across the ocean because he had heard stories of the trickster Renard from ... somewhere.
  • There's a black bird which appears to be talking to Steadman in the middle of the image here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=774
... which all makes me think: There are other Native American gods and spirits. One in particular would have been the sort to travel the Earth in search of good stories and would enjoy tricks and chaos as much as Coyote would. He's also known as a creator of sorts, bringing light into the world, but according to legend he's also the reason people die ...

So I think Raven is going to show up eventually, and he's going to be a huge catalyst for some of the events we've seen.

I hope you're right because Raven is the best native american god by miles. I have a book of raven stories I bought when I was in Canada and they are brilliant. It makes sense as well because the raven is kind of the creator and protector of Humans so that would explain his link to the court side of things.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 9, 2010

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I thought that liconshire had sunk beneath the waves and I hadn't heard the news yet somehow.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I see a lot of potential for future use with this panel :v:

Parley kind of looks like she's glaring at Kat.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Madrox posted:

Might just be backstory/a flashback. Also, is that perhaps Coyote based on the last panel? He is partial to shape-shifting and trickery.

You're probably right, having re-read it. I imagine coyote will say something and renard will get all flustered about it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Snicket posted:

This is one of those chapters that just makes me wish I could read it right now, all in one go. Aaauuugh...

You could just wait a few weeks...

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Comix Bitch posted:

Just got back from the Thought Bubble convention. I think I went a bit mad at Tom's table...

Yes I asked for a picture of Boxbot. No I am not ashamed. Thanks very much Tom!

Thought bubble is always at the worst time of year for me for some reason. Like Leeds is just other there but I still haven't been able to go :(

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

hairysammoth posted:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty universal too, right up to the point I moved to London. If I asked my nephew in his Hackney comp which "house" he was in he'd probably assume I was taking the piss.

I think it comes down to the age of the school - if it was founded in the 19th or pre-war 20th C, they've probably still got a house system, state or otherwise. Anything built more recently tends to divide up the students in other ways.

I went to a comp in Wales I think founded in the late 70's and we had houses which got points for sports days and eisteddfodau, though I think outside of those sort of big events it didn't really matter that much.

Similar set up to Tom's as well, 8 forms with 2 forms in each house.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Um he clearly sounds like Ray Winston.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I don't know what 'The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter' is, so either way this is all new and exciting to me.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The facial expressions in this really are the best thing ever.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

nothings posted:

Oh Paz, don't be silly; Kat's already taken

Oh hey the page right after that has Paz chatting to Matt. There are so many little background details you can easily miss!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Micgael posted:

The kids all just came back from break and are catching up. I guess I don't see why its weird. You never snuck out of the house to hang out with your friends and do nothing?

I think the majority of my teenage life involved sitting around talking about nothing.

Actually get rid of the word teenage.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Yeah in panel 4 it's obvious she just finds the whole situation kind of funny, hence the smirk.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

MikeJF posted:

What happened between the last panel of the last comic and the first panel of this comic? I can't help but feel that Annie hit a level of anger where she'd snapped and automatically faked being nice to work even worse revenge. Again. Although the last few panels of this may have thrown a kink in that.

She got angry and then realised being angry was stupid. A lot of you seem to be having a lot of trouble following the emotions in the chapter and I don't get it, they are really obvious.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

also Llanwellyn is a really weird surname seeing as the Welsh prefix Llan is basically like the english suffix -ham or -ton.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

So, Wellington in Welsh? That's not that weird.

Haha I suppose that would be similar (it seems to translate literally as Ranger Town, I'd never come across the word wellyn before!), but it's still an odd name for a person to have. Welsh names are usually patrimonial, either along the lines Ap Dafydd, Ap Grufydd, etc or Edwards, Thomas, Davies, etc. I don't think I've ever come across a place name type surname in Welsh.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Noonsaliwah posted:

Also, finishing a surname in 'ton' isn't weird at all. Middleton? I also know a Kingston and Ashton. For 'ham', Cunningham is pretty popular. Sure, Llanwellyn isn't a real surname, but it isn't too far removed from reality.

My point was that whereas in English culture surnames based on a location are pretty normal in Welsh culture they aren't at all, to the extent that I found the idea of someone being called Llanwellyn really weird. That said Nipponophile's idea of them being a non-Welsh family who have taken on a Welsh place name as their surname is satisfying enough to assuage my sperg-nationalism.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Phy posted:

Little derail, but leopard slug mating is legit astounding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhVi4Z6CjZk

Fun fact: if their giant neon slug dicks get too knotted up one of the slugs will chew off the other ones dick so it can leave.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Boxman posted:

This post is honestly refreshing. Good thing for first thing in the morning.

So who was that guy talking about? Now I actually want to know.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Apple Jack and Twilight Sparkle are the names of alternative costumes/getups for Cloud in Final Fantasy VII - I can kind of see it but I don't think Tom is a Final Fantasy kind of guy.

Oh okay, I never played any Final Fantasy game so I wouldn't know. I agree that it doesn't seem like the sort of reference you'd get in Gunnerkrigg, but then again what do I know?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Tea-san posted:

Thanks, guys. Really.

Honestly you are ace. Also you should go to some sort of convention dealy (*cough* Thought Bubble *cough*) so I can make that clear in person.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Kojiro posted:

He's on the exhibitor list! Uh, so that I don't sound like a stalker, I was going anyway.. I hope it's a good one, never been before!

Ah! I couldn't find him on it before. I've lived in Manchester for about 5 years but this is the first year I'm actually crossing the pennines for it, and I'm definitely looking forward, I know some people who've been before and seem to really like it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Wa11y posted:

Well....poo poo.

The site seems to go down quite a lot, try again later and it will probably be fine.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

And I seem to remember that Tom is a brummie, so.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I can't even remember when I started reading Gunnerkrigg Court. :psyduck:

Training your creepy robot on your best fencer doesn't seem like a terribly smart plan, although I guess they won't realize that until it's too late.

They probably still think that Robot is the nice slightly reserved guy he used to be, instead of the creepy obsessed with Kat dude he is now.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

gobbledygoat posted:

Don't think I saw anyone post this, but from Tom's Tumblr:

"I had some more A4 prints made of some of my favourite pages. Also some postcard packs of the treatise pages! These’ll be at Thought Bubble also."

Now I'm even more chuffed that I'm popping over to Leeds for the weekend.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Leovinus posted:

I'm thinking about going to Leeds. It's not like I have anything else to do.

Well if you do go up give us a bell!

e: wait I changed my account, you probably don't know who this is.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have nothing but unending envy for whoever buys that City Face canvas.

These are also cool, I love Tom's tumblr and I think he is underestimating how much people would be willing to pay for these. I bet if he put some of those paintings on amazon instead of selling them at the con they would do ridiculously well. Like several hundred dollars well.

I'm going to this con and have a lot of empty wall space in my new flat so don't tell him that.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

If I had a job and the cash that went with that I would be very tempted but unfortunately I don't (this economy :argh:)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

His tumblr said it was a tall Coyote one.

https://twitter.com/#!/gunnerkrigg/status/137897510403444737

For reference, he posted that this was what the table looked like when he started. I especially like the City Face price signs. :v:

By the time I got there all but one of the canvases had been sold. I bagged myself a signed volume 2 and an awesome badge, and I can tell you that Tom is a thoroughly nice chap.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

1stGear posted:

Have you gotten the point now, Tom? We want to give you money. So much money.

I told him to stop being so down on himself, and also that goons have a lot of money to waste.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

Small (city face) £20

Medium (most of them) £35-£40 depending on canvas thickness

Large (the two tall coyote ones) £50

Perspex squares £30 each

I ended up with Cityface for me, two medium coyotes (the close up of the face and a special order I made, based on the "scattering stars" comic page) for my siblings and a sketch.

Those treatise prints are mighty tempting too, and there are friends who still need Christmas pressies. Tomorrow, I may have more money...

The treatise prints wers phunky prhesh.

Also to anyone thinking about going to thought bubble I would highly recommend it, if nothing else the people of leeds are very nice. I didn't know how to get to the event from the station but two random people I met on the train dressed as Harley Quinn and a heavy from TF2 let me tag along with them, which was kind of them.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

No. Parely and Smitty are gonna get married, and Smitty's parents are going to have to be very understanding about having a daughter-in-law named George.

Why doesn't Parley just pretend she's called Georgina? I'm pretty sure I've know women called George because of that.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

mrpwase posted:

What, isn't it obvious? The entire court is Birmingham.

It is empty, soulless and confusing so it all fits.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I would only get a gunnerkrigg av if there was a picture of reynardine or coyote or ysengrin smoking a pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I find it funny the way he draws himself because he looks nothing like that in real life. (for one thing when I saw him he had a beard).