Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The gunnerkrigg cycle: cool page with evocative art > oh man maybe things will get interesting again! > plot waffles around and focuses on stuff we don't care about > start losing hope > cool page with evocative art > oh man maybe things will get interesting again! >...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm sure it was something really interesting and evocative that happened off-screen

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It sounds like Kat might finally fave consequences for reviving the robots that wanted to remain shut down, at least.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lmao wait, is Annie only just NOW realizing the robots have started a cult??

Tiny Myers posted:

lmao

Also I did this. Wasn't sure which one I liked better so I made two

:five:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh... Gunnerkrigg Court...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just remembered Tony explained the Omega device to Annie entirely off-screen. Just casually solving one of the biggest mysteries in the comic from the character who infamously is unable to speak to Annie.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

rudecyrus posted:

Kat is gonna be like "I forgive you, Robot" and Robot will say "your mercy shames me, my goddess" and Kat will say "ha ha, jeez!" And then Annie will say "that's why you're so great, Kat" and Kat responds with "ha ha, jeez!"

Oh, Kat...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

isasphere posted:

I mean, yeah, but why is asking for help from his friends not even discussed as an option Tony could take? Why is "I do not have human emotions" Jones the only person allowed to seriously talk about this with Tony in the comic?

Is this a sort of "it is forbidden to intervene in private family matters" cultural thing I'm too dumb to get or?

Don't forget that the forest woman talked about how Annie just needs to buck up and be happy her dad is even here!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RocketMermaid posted:

Annointed posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: This is the worst anti suicide psa i seen

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

JuniperCake posted:

You say that but the arc isn't over yet. There's still plenty of time for more characters to get dragged into this mess.

Smitty could be next for all we know.

Considering that the black-haired robo girl was teleport ING them all over the place...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's been a while since I've done a read through, can someone remind me what bad stuff the robo cult has done other than the ship? This page made me think of what Robot would actually be apologizing FOR, his "sins", his "crimes", and his "evil nature" as he described them. But like...orchestrating the boat attack is the only thing, right? I mean yes starting a cult is generally a bad thing, but it's been portrayed so oddly that it's hard to really say. The robo-cult has always been more implied to be bad than actually showing it doing something bad. The mystery of Robot's motivations and where the cult would lead has been portrayed as inevitably going to be A Really Bad Thing, but as for what they've actually done, it's the boat attack and that's about it. Yes, the boat attack is indeed bad, but it's not like Robot was explicitly trying to gain power so he could take over the court or take the lead in Kat's projects or something, it seems like he genuinely thinks of her as a holy figure and wanted to spread that thought to others. Maybe he pressured the other robots into getting the numan bodies? But as mentioned before in the thread, none of them seem to dislike their bodies or even have had any regrets about switching, so this isn't like a cult pressuring people to disconnect from their regular lives and loved ones to devote to the cult. Robot's plan apparently was apparently twofold: to take action to get Kat to make progress, even if those actions were criminal or hurt others; and to be the first to die for these actions. But beyond the boat attack, he seemingly hasn't really done anything else??

I guess Tom didn't want the robots to do TOO many bad things, since we don't want them to be portrayed as villains, but it's making this payoff now feel really weird and disconnected to me. Like, cults are cults (and not religions or groups) because there's a leader who requires unwavering devotion to beliefs and often joining the cult harms the individual in some way. Robo cult hasn't had any of that besides Robot as a leader, but we haven't seen any situations or examples of how joining the robo cult is maybe a bad thing, just implications that the robo cult is probably gunna do something bad one day.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Know I wonder if anyone's just tried politely asking cults to stop irl

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You know this part always struck me as odd - didn't Coyote make the forest people as well? Was this retconned or something?

Nathen's only flaw: sincerity

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tiny Myers posted:

We'll solve your problems the way we solve all our most challenging problems, Robot: off-screen.

Place your bets on if robot's apology will be seen or not.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Betting she'll tell Annie who she is off-screen

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rat Patrol posted:

Wait what? I don't remember that, do you happen to know when that was? Tbh the plot's been sliding off my brain for a while now

Tony and Surma fell in love because they went on the research trip where they watched bugs in the jungle for a while, reporting on every minor thing that happened. It was implied, though I don't think outright stated, that the trip was testing to see how accurate Omega's predictions were - presumably to see if it could predict some random poo poo like a leaf falling off a tree in some jungle somewhere.

In theory it could also be extrapolated that the "watching mundane stuff in the jungle" part actually didn't matter beyond getting Tony and Surma together to create Annie.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's almost certainly Omega themself, which means we somehow got out of Zimmyverse OFF SCREEN

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I like this page quite a lot honestly, this whole chapter has been quite good. We have solid art telling us an interesting story. Obviously I'm also waiting for the sword to drop but til then I'm enjoying it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Randalor posted:

I'm worried we may run into more rough patches before the comic ends.

Yeah chap is good so far but I do not have enough faith left to be confident it'll hold up. This is coming off as a section Tom has been planning and looking forward to for quite some time, and I'm guessing that once it's done we'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I kind of suspect this is the result of really going through the question "what if someone could actually know EVERYTHING" and following the different paths to their logical extremes. The first thought when examining that question is the obvious stuff like "oh you'd know various big details like what the weather is in Dubai right now" or whatever, but then you think about it more and you get stuff like a few pages ago with "oh she knows extremely minor and private details about an old man's childhood, she knows EVERYTHING" - so following through that line of thinking, it's easy to see how you could land on "Well she knows every person as deeply as anyone possibly could, she can know exactly who would be perfect for her."

But also yeah, comic has a weird history of this sorta stuff. Also now that I'm writing this out, you'd think that having so much info would cause her worldview and personality to be incredibly foreign and alien to us (why would she even need romance if she can tell exactly where every possible relationship would go? Wouldn't her maturity level be unfathomable since she has the collective knowledge of every relationship through all of human history?) but I'm willing to shrug that off for the sake of storytelling.