Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Yeah, seriously, I thought it was pretty obvious flashback time was initiated now because Parley wants to have Smitty's babies. All the babies. To the degree that even watching a romantic movie is enough to make her teleport to him. Carver, for all her wonderful qualities, isn't really romantically interested in anyone. If everyone you know got together to kill your lover, I'd imagine that would be a bit of a sore spot for you.

It's not enough to be sensitive to those sorts of things if you don't have an empathic connection to the subject. Two women in love have a lot more in common than a ghost and a medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

Fuego Fish posted:

This isn't Hollywood, I doubt her first reaction after getting face-to-face with a homicidal ghost with a tragic backstory is going to be "let's make out".

Actually, that wouldn't be an uncommon reaction to intense stress. Especially if caused by a crazy jealous ghost lady that wanted to kill you for being happy. It's less about passion and more about reassurance, like the way people with OCD constantly touch things to make reality feel more stable. In all probability it'll simply be what you see now though, her having trouble letting go of Smitty for a bit. It's physically expressing an emotional need. To keep people close to you close to you. Psychologically speaking, make outs keep someone pretty close to you. Also considered to be a fun thing, and another reaction to psychological trauma can sometimes be a manic need to do something not completely horrifying. Even if you aren't actually *having* fun, you are doing a fun thing and a fun thing is not an all consuming pit of despair from which no joy can ever escape, like a black hole of utter nihilism.

I'm sure it'll just be stress hugs though.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

That picture of boxbot just makes me want to give him a hug. Poor loving boxbot, will his day never come?

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Nah, Jones is cool. Remember her antics with the flowers and the chocolate. And her watching movies with Doctor Disaster. She's good people. Annie still the wettest of blankets. Makes me wonder what her dad was like, he seems like a pretty withdrawn guy too.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Anyone that likes Doctor Disaster is a good person. That is just science fact.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

There is what he does and how he does it. He creates order by distorting probability to make unlikely occurrences happen. A deck of cards could do that. In theory. The stone could hit a bird and fall in the right place. Remember that nobody told him what to do with the blinker stone too. Just "throw it that way". He made the proper outcome happen with no idea what that outcome was.

So there is obviously some overarching theme to what his power does irregardless of his personality.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

I'm just saying, who practices levitation in a dress? That is simply against all good sense. Clearly levitation is a pants activity.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

All I'm saying is that Carver's dad must have had some pretty awesome hidden depths, seeing as he won out over a demi-god and a Dragonslayer.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

quote:

I discussed this with someone, but I seem to be the only one who seems to see it

You are over thinking it. Annie simply doesn't *get* romance, and doesn't actually like most people. Or most social interactions. And she's kind of a bitch sometimes. Really that simple. We open with the mother being two faced and transition into the daughter being two faced. There is the good, composed Annie face she shows most of the time....and there is the fact she cheats her rear end off and would rather most people screw off away underneath. She's also pretty cool and brave and can be dryly amusing too, but the emotionless bitch thing is part of her too.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Antagonizing the person with supernatural control over your every action is, in final estimate, probably a really stupid idea.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

I like seeing boxbot happy, it gives me dancing feet!

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

The implications are a bit weirder than just giving life to Annie. I mean you'd imagine if you take life from someone, they die. Sure. Why wouldn't someone come to claim their soul though? It's not her life that Renard seems to be implying she took, but something much closer to her spiritual essence itself. Which would certainly put a different light on people treating her like Surma in the story. It's one thing for creepy people to treat you like your mother because you look like her, and it's another when they treat you like your mother because you sort of ate her soul.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Saoshyant posted:

Eglamore is still a creepy gently caress, regardless.

Oh totally. It's just a very different type of creepy. To the first you say "Cut the poo poo, I'm not my mother". To the second you say "Cut the poo poo....oh God am I my mother?". And the answer is no, but it's still a mind job. Especially for a little girl.

quote:

Calling it now, the "fire" was her literal soul.

Nothing to call, that is literally what Renard just said. The reason nobody came to claim her soul is because there was nothing to claim. Annie took it all for herself. It's why she had to do the job herself. She was the one with the claim on it.

Wong Dongson fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 29, 2010

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

quote:

Her father's basically treating her in a way that's near abusive, and no one that knew him can say anything good about him.

The people that bad mouth him outright are her ex, and the dog that killed a man to be with her. It's sour grapes. If they had the chance, they would have absolutely done the exact same thing. They would have taken Surma, run away, and tried to have a family with her while looking for some way to keep her from dying.

Only she didn't choose them, did she? She left them in their wacky, bullshit court and went off and had her own life. She choose death with Anthony and Antimony over life with them. It's a bunch of losers badmouthing the winner. No more or less. And it's kind of insanely loving obvious and insulting to their child. "I totally would have been better for Surma than *that* dick!".

I mean he shouldn't be so distant, granted, but we really don't know *why* he's gone. It could be "poo poo dad" up to "Wacky magical bullshit, up to and including making sure this doesn't happen to his daughter in the future". Still probably should have dropped a letter or something by this point, yeah. Until we know *why* he's gone though, it's just guess work. And trying to destroy a little girl's father because of it seems...jumping the gun slightly. That's very much something you ease into.

Renard and Eglamore need to back off their creepy Surma worship. Like, a lot. And as for Anthony...dude is a cipher, and we have zero information to make any judgments on anything he's done. We've seen plenty of Surma flashbacks, we've heard people talk about her, but we know nothing about the original recipe Carver.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

quote:

She sent Antimony to the Court.

Well, no, Anthony actually did that in the end.

And yeah, you need a bit more than "He's not here now" to attack a child's only living parent. Absolutely nothing good comes from it done badly, as it just was. Even if you are right, you still need to do it carefully or it just blows up in your face. It's not about the actual condition of the parent you are badmouthing, it's about how it impacts the child.

quote:

The point of Rey and Eglamore is quite simple: it's not that they would have been better for Surma - but that they would have, and currently are better for Antimony, than that douche Anthony.

Both constantly compare her to her dead mother, badmouth her father, and one of them just told her she killed her mother and everyone knew it was going to happen.

No, they both suck. They suck so bad.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Which people said he was a prick that aren't in love with Surma? Because actual number of people calling him a prick so far as I can recall [And I admit I could be leaving some people out, so literally tell me if there was someone else. Comic has been going for awhile, things get forgotten] is 'two'. Her ex, and the crazy fox spirit that murdered a guy to get close to her.

These are not unbiased reporters. I'm not even saying they are wrong, I'm just saying there are exactly two negative reports of his character, and they are both people that are [Not even were, still are] ridiculously, stupid in love with his wife. And there was Jones, but she was actively trying to get Annie mad so who knows how true that was? Also against him though is the fact he's not here, and we know that for the first two or so years of her time at the school he won't send word. Fair enough on that one.

Beyond that though, we know nothing about him. We have one photo of him. We know more about characters in the past involved in getting Jeanne killed than we do him. Even as we get to a well grown Surma in the flashbacks, she is still going out with Eglamore. So far as we know, coming up on Renard going on his little foray into body stealing she's still seeing Eglamore.

What happens between then, and deciding to leave and have a child with a character we've never been properly introduced to, is just a vast blank spot waiting to be filled.

quote:

No, it was on Surma's final wishes. The author's word on it is that Anthony didn't have an opinion on it.

Yeah, but he did it. As in set it in motion and made it happen. Why, like many things, is just there. Disinterest in her fate, relief at having someone else deal with it, who knows. Why have a child you know would kill your wife? Why marry her at all? We know absolutely nothing about him, his relationship with Surma, or his relationship with his daughter before this.

Making judgments about him seems to be jumping the gun slightly. Granted at best the picture seems to shaping up to be "Emotionally disconnected, not very good father". Or maybe he's just kind of sensitive and got wrecked by his wife dying. Or maybe he's sort of a monster. You can pretty much insert anything you want for his personality and motivation, because we know nothing about him.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

I like the idea they literally just can not find him. Because if the Court is actively hiding his location, it turns them from "Generally well meaning with a dark history" to "total monsters".

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

I don't know, the entire bit with Jeanne is pretty dark.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Yep. If he had said one line it would also have *doubled* the amount of things we've heard from him too. Dudes a cypher, although it's nice to see him completely wrecked at his wife's soon to be death bed. At least we've established he has a heart!

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Fangz posted:

Just saying, it continues to look not so good for Anthony

The fact he loves his daughter isn't looking good for him?

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Sulevis posted:

So you know. He's not a big scary deity. He's a chump bomb that could go off at any moment due to his own half-baked ~*nefarious plans*~.

It should be mentioned at this point that in some native cultures, Coyote isn't a trickster god. He's God. The Creator, the big cheese. Not for fakesies, not by mistake, but he's actual the force that set everything into motion. He's also sometimes a cultural hero as they call them, who is less 'animal' and more 'dude that does cool poo poo for the people'. And even when he's a trickster, sometimes he's a prick. Not an incompetent prick either, a really competent prick that is super good at making people miserable.

Of course sometimes he's just a minor spirit that pranks folks too, or has to do scut work.

In general though, probably shouldn't gently caress with coyote.

quote:

Interesting how many of the comments on the page think this is a creepy or 'shipper kind of thing.

They look back at the story where Jones set up Andrew and Parley with their nice little matching flowers....said story ending with Renard and Annie side by side with matching flowers. And their little shipper hearts went "Squeee!".

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Or she's insanely interested in that thing that just happened. It's hard to tell, she basically has the one look. I mean it's a pretty good look that goes well with all situations, but it doesn't leave itself very open to the scruting.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

I have to assume it's just some sort of tradition, where the kids go through living hell and those that survive with some of their sanity intact go on to become teachers....teachers with the burning need to brutally gently caress with their students in the most ridiculous ways possible.

The ones that survive with *all* of their sanity intact leave the school and never look back, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

The crab is secretly a giant squid in a crab costume.