Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The comic is breaking down into its component parts. It will all become formless blurs of color and lines by June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
This is something that was foreshadowed and built up so much that it would be strange not to pay it off in some way, and obviously I’m not attached enough to what’s going on anymore to be very interested, but it’s so silly how abruptly this is wrapping up something that’s been running through the comic for like 10 years. I’m not asking for a multi-chapter resolution here, but using Zimmyworld to rapidly wipe the To Do list clean is so underwhelming.

I can’t say I can think of clean way to thread it through the jumble of disassociated junk the plot has become though. It’s something where… everything post-Jeanne would need to be chopped off and re-written. Like with Tony and Kat and Loup and the Court as a whole… it feels like punches were pulled that shouldn’t have been. There doesn’t need to be any cartoon villainy, but at least some open antagonism, pushing the limits of moral ambiguity, some clear complicated motivations. You know… like what the Court did to Jeanne to begin with.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Robot having angst or fear about Kat, Annie, and Shadow's reactions to all this is a fine idea. Him descending into more paranoid delusions as the momentum behind the cult builds and he's raised up as the head prophet of it, etc. Except there's not enough groundwork laid in the comic before this. We get a bit of the "It was worth it!" stuff, but nothing about how Kat will totally read all his memories (or his fear of that, however possible it actually is), or how his thing with transforming all the robots before himself was not a completely selfless act.

Which stinks because that'd be a compelling tension to add in earlier. I don't know if it was really the plan all along, but bringing it up now ends up coming off like a back-filled justification that'll be cleaned up and tied off immediately with the end of this scene.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's honestly for the best that most of the recurring characters we have any history with are offscreen. You can imagine they're having emotionally cathartic moments that aren't undercut by feeling incredibly rushed and conveniently coming up right now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brightman posted:

Didn't Tom get married and move to New York or something a while ago? That would probably line up with him losing/changing editors.

Tom is married to another webcomic author and they have a little baby now.

It's funny how there's some discussion over in the general webcomics thread about how Corny, the author for Never Satisfied said they were probably not coming back to that webcomic. The reasons he gave is he's a drastically different person from who he was when he started Never Satisfied 10 years prior, and frankly he hadn't planned more than some broad stuff out and kept writing in stuff on impulse that made the whole thing more complicated to reconcile.

Creating long-running epic fantasy stories as your first project as a dumb college kid turns out to be a pretty huge personal life investment if you're going to keep it going!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tiny Myers posted:

Weird theory: what if this woman is Omega?

That would kind of make sense at this point. Has anyone even mentioned Zimmy's name is "Zeta" in the comic before?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
One of those two friends of Parley's that showed up for that one chapter. Maybe both.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think I floated here that it would've been a nice thematic through line if Omega was Tea-san engineering a timeline where the world isn't Third Impact'ed by the Court thinking they can just slingshot off into a non-magical reality. I guess it could still be a setup like that, but ultimately I did get the vibe they were setting up Omega to be a person Annie dialogs at rather than a computer.

Making her look generic like that is a bit of a letdown. If only because this entire Zimmyverse arc has been 90% generic background NPCs we've never cared about or seen before. I guess introducing one more generic-looking NPC to quickly exposit and wrap up another dangling mystery is completely in line with how low-effort and rushed this all is.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Randalor posted:

... was Zimmy's first appearance before or after Annie was saved by the Tictoc birds?

Edit: Zimmy showed up beforehand, so no weird "Zimmy came about because of Kat breaking time" shenanigans. Or maybe she still will be, because the birds showed up in Chapter 1.

Etheric beings being retconned into a point in history that predates their “creators” is a thing, at least. I guess it is possible we’re getting some origin story for Zimmy along with Omega? I don’t know if it’s necessary but I’m curious how it plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I was reading Omega as being in her 20s or 30s, and that guy as 30s or 40s, but the limited color palette and tight paneling does make it difficult to discern.

e- Also she just seems to have Doctor Manhattan levels of a constant awareness of causality, but with the added power of being able to see that anywhere she focused on. So she knew she would meet the guy, she knew his past, present, and future, etc. without actively following him.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 15, 2024