Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kat as an emergent afterlife guide for the robots is a really cool idea. Robots have "evolved" in some way as evidenced by what the old robot Kat wakes up in the crypt says, and someone mentioned Jones and conciousness earlier so my pet theory is that robots are going to achieve an aether connection and somehow catalyse the union between the court and the forest.

We already know it's possible to merge the two like how Kat's parents have done, plus shadow and robot's friendship could be foreshadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fangz posted:

Next Chapter:

Smitty finds Jeanne's OFF switch.

Smitty's power is to make everything boring.

If they do turn off the thingie, will Jeanne even want to cross over? Won't she just go murder crazy? Why was she placed there at all if they have the bridge? Is she guarding against something worse?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hold up just a second. Diego said "she died and I did nothing", before he died. So what did he have to say after, Kat! These other guys all give their records posthumously.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bot 02 posted:

It'd be interesting if they were unable to find it, maybe he is actually alive under there. :tinfoil:

As an aside, does anybody know what Jeanne's purpose really is? Their plan to free her doesn't seem remotely thought out at all, what if she is a vital part of the Court's defense systems?

I suspect the device makes use of his soul as an etheric power source to do whatever it is that keeps Jeanne there. Souls always go back to the ether so it's reasonable to assume they are ether. Really the biggest crime the court ever committed was to gently caress with the natural order of things.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

JT Jag posted:

See, some of you are misinterpreting Coyote's Great Secret. He believes that humans influence the world, not by raw willpower (humans aren't, like, Haruhi or something), but when they are taken into the ether, and so their experiences are added to the ether's collective. But the psychopomps don't deal in appliances: as they are now, robots don't enter the ether and thus cannot effect it, at least not by Coyote's theory.

That's why that wing robot was such a big deal. It was partially organic. It died. What little experiences it had may have actually entered the ether.

Robots gaining etheric presence is a big loving deal to the universe, I think. If Jones knew about it she would surely be very interested but she seems to be focusing on Annie. I wonder if Kat will go back and wake the old robots in the tomb to give them a true death when she realises what she is.

I also wonder why it's happening. The robot's OS gaining complexity is likely at fault, it's reached a point where it cannot be represented outside of conceptual space and that phrase alone suggests that it has become something more and I'm sure it's the source of their etheric presence. Robots could all basically be souls that are stuck, unable to cross over.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Did he basically just ask them to help him commit suicide?

:smith:

He's already dead, he just wants to go to the other side. It's pretty common for the fantastic races of Gunnerkrigg to move around to new experiences. A bunch of students change bodies and become whole different species, even birds, so Mort could have been all over the place and being a ghost was his final experience.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

M.c.P posted:

To get more specific about "Dafuq is Kat?", the symbol that showed up above your head is what the robot's call "The Mark of the Creator".

This is something the Seraph class robots (which Robot is one of) remember and believe, and the seraphs act as some sort of robot secret police so that seems important. Suffice to say that the Robots already had this weird cultural mythology going on before Kat entered the picture.
But Diego made the robots, is that just his symbol? Or is there some kind of godly cachet ascribed to this.

Also also, the thing Diego's robot talked about is probably why the robots never had an etheric presence before. When robots are turned off, they're dead-ish. They've got no functions going on, they're effectively hunks of metal. But they can then be turned on. Strictly speaking, disassemble a robot as much as you like, you can still bring them back with a little duct tape and elbow grease.
This made that one robo wing Kat made a religious symbol. Because no amount of reconstruction was bringing it back. It was dead, forever.
What concerns me is that this obsession with death as a symbol of a new robo-age. I mean, if Kat gives all these robots the ability to die, is their first act going to be mass suicide? I mean, that would certainly give Kat a fun start to her job as the robot afterlife guide.

I want to know more about the Seraph robots. They showed up well after Kat had resurrected and killed the old robot, and after that weird king robot was shown the tomb (they also didn't go into the tomb). Robot was accused of spreading disinformation but they seem very much out of the loop.

There is going to be a number of interesting factors to go with the new bodies once Kat finished up her prototype. Robot exists as basically a chip, he can move into new bodies at will through the chip but I imagine that the new bio-robots are one way, effectively killing the chip and transferring the "soul" permanently. I think your suicide theory could play into this, in order to move into a living body the robots have to "kill" their former selves, the chips.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is one reason I was upset when I saw this poo poo go down. Tom always takes these things hard.

I bet he lost more readers due to Kat and Paz than he could possibly have lost over this even if he hadn't apologized. But I guess it hurts a lot less to lose those readers.

Wait? People were upset over a gay character arc?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I have an idea. Maybe we can judge it by scrutinizing that little vent grate in the wall, using its design to figure out bounds on when that wall must have been built, and comparing those with its apparent age in this panel? What a puzzle.

I'm probably being a grump but the drat sign says London. Mort is loving ancient.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Evacuating children was a real thing that happened. The mothers stayed in the cities because the fathers were already in the army and the country needed workers.

WW2 England and especially London was the very image of stoic defiance. When my dad showed me around his hometown of Newcastle he made a lot of effort to point out the metal fences that were cut for scrap and melted down for the army. People donated everything they could spare, iron pans, pots, everything.

And it just dawned on me that Mort is a dead kid :smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I bet Mort's fate will shine some light on Jeanne. Mort, for whatever reason, chose not to pass on and stuck around instead of going into the ether. He's the only real ghost we've actually seen in the story besides Jeanne and I bet whatever Annie learns from taking him into the ether will be something she can use later.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You know for anyone interested in the Jones experience you could watch The Man From Earth. Basically the same premise of an immortal person except it's a guy and he's not actually indestructable.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think we're about to get a look into Jones' emotional state. She is probably going to be there when Mort dies and may feel some responsibility for the fact, which shows that she's probably what has kept Mort in the world for this long. Remember she introduces Annie to Mort early in the comic (even though Annie's already met him) so they clearly have some kind of long standing relationship. I don't think Jones is completely without feelings.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you want to see if Jones has any internals just stick a camera probe down her throat. Or up her butt.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So is Jones going to try and prevent Annie from bringing Mort into the nether? What if Mort's been wanting to go for ages but Jones has intimidated all the psychopomps away from him?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Will Annie and Kat get to see Mort as a real boy at the end when he passes over? I hope so, Mort's done his duty. Time to rest, soldier.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm still betting the issue is going to be Jones, the rotd will want to clear it with her I'm sure.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Daylights savings time! :argh: I have to wait another hour to read my morning comic :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I doubt it's going to be anyone involved Jeanne, they didn't even know her name.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Diego must have had an ability like Kat's, only as it pertains to the nether. He knew how to create machines that were powered by the nether and he created a device that was capable of cutting a soul off from it. I'm sure this somehow ties into how the new robots don't have any nether presence and Kat is somehow the universe reacting to that.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

MikeJF posted:

If Annie even gets one at all. Surma didn't get a real guide visit.

Dad will fix her :science:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I thought this bit about training for war and a prince was about Jeanne. :tinfoil:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Brightman posted:

Things are going to get worse before they get better it seems.

He'll probably save the day somehow, maybe even inadvertently while trying to hatch a scheme of his own, but it ruins the robots' plans and maybe his own.

He'll do something suitably heroic with the spiders (or worse) in Zimrality and his girlfriend will swoon and be all "babe! You saved us!" and he'll be like "nah, you ain't my babe, Zimmy is my girl now". Then they'll do the Titanic on the ships prow.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I can't wait to see what Kat does. She's never really trusted magic and I wonder what this'll do to her.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm expecting Kat to flashback to this page because while being able to do this is cool, it's scientifically unusable since she can't repeat the experiment.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Last time we saw someone hearing Gamma's telepathy, it was because she was actually Zimmy... :tinfoil:

Alright, Alright, new theory. Gamma and Zimmy is the same person, this is why they're never far from each other. Zimmy is in fact schizophrenic but turned up forty notches because of Zimmytown.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Aah yes, what if the whale thing that Kat is making a body for right now is just a clever disguise for the spiders? Kind of like how that wasp tried to piggy back on Annie to get out of the forest by disguising itself as the seed of bismuth?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

And lo, the Seraphs that rose up against the Creator fell, and by her hand were cast out from the light and grace.

Lots of biblical parallels there, the seraphs are fallen angels and servants of the devil (diego).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

looking over the last couple pages, it does seem rather telling that Kat manifested as her robot god/nightmare zimmy form just after a robot with belief in her as the Creator underwent biological death.

I wonder if we're going to see the whale again in a sequence like Annie taking the dead boy into the ether. If Kat hasn't taken it into the ether it's still stuck.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

New crazy theory time: Diego planned for the emergence of robo-etheric connection from the very beginning. And the thing that's powering Kat's robo-etheric powers is the goddamn arrow keeping Jeanne chained in the river.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want to know how Jones will react to the robots getting an ether connection. I have a feeling the thing she desires most is to die.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just build a drat cairn.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Coyote is trying to paint the court in a bad light because they demand that forest people destroy their old bodies before coming over. There's likely a reason for that and it's very likely related to the Ether, my theory being that they are being given human bodies because humans are unique in their relation to the Ether compared to magical beings. Human minds can affect the Ether directly and create through the power of their imagination. Forest beings cannot, and so cannot gain the full human experience without destroying their old bodies.

Coyote fears humans because he's not as powerful as he makes himself out to be. And they have powers beyond his reach.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm personally rooting for a ROTD situation when she went off on the vampire dude and we saw the other side of it. But it's her dad and she's super loving intimidated so it'll be up to him to show some love.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe Kat will make him a bionic as a peace offering when he and Annie make up :3:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Anthony being her father is also important because, as a minor, he holds actual authority over her. The school hasn't been very controlling of her thus far but Anthony could just say "no more forest visits" and that's the end of that. With the court she's had room to negotiate and we may very well see him come between her and her role as medium, it may even be that which brought him back into her life.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

shadowvine118 posted:

I have a bit of a theory that the court doesn't actually know about Annie's cheating, and that Anthony found out himself, possibly through witnessing Annie's dreams during the whole bone tower event. If the court knew about Annie cheating, she'd probably be in bigger trouble than what she looks like she's in at the moment.

Annie has the binding on in the dream sequence, maybe it snipped Tony's hand :tinfoil:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Well now I want to see where Friday's comic will go, since it seems Anthony's still got things he wants to talk with Antimony about.

I think we're about to see the non-rear end in a top hat part of Anthony now and he's going to homeschool her.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Next chapter probably won't be about Annie or Anthony at all, to give us a breather from what just happened.

Next chapter will be about Robot's hosed up cult trying to come up with a way to make Kat forget about Annie and focus on the real issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rey's body gets destroyed and with only Kat around to possess Reynardine willingly dies. Annie's dad then forbids her from taking him into the Ether and Rey's spirit refuses anyone else, Fun Time with Reynardine.