Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I do really like this comic. That's why I read the whole thing a few weeks ago.
But I am not really thrilled by this chapter. I can't really describe it, but it feels sort of stiff. Right now, the pacing seems unrewarding. Maybe it's just a backlash, because almost every page of the previous chapter was so cute and pretty. But pay attention the background of todays comic. It really isn't something I like looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Hmmm...

Unrelatedly, what did you think of the Jones chapter (The Stone) when you read it?

It was probably one of my favourite parts.
Great storytelling and absolutely gorgeous.
And those little further reading notes spiced it up a bit.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This is what I have been waiting for.
What a gorgeous page.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Do Britons actually write "hullo"?

What sort of survey is that anyway? Does he run around at night in the forest asking animals how they feel?
That does seem kind of dangerous either way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I really like the inclusion of the little dark rings around his eyes, indicating lack of sleep.
How are they usually called in english anyway? I can't find a proper translation.
He is also really pale. But his hair is way to neat for someone who turns around in bed all night.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You can't be sure that she is evil, unless she kicks a little puppy to drink its tears.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This was probably one of the first twists this thread didn't anticipate.
Why did no one guess this? In hindsight it's kind of obvious.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I always love how unneccesary Toms comments tend to be.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Aww. The last pannel looks so sad. Coyote is a big jerk. :smith:
I really enjoy these backgrounds. This one is way prettier than the last chapter.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That is a part of the court which ended up on the wrong side of the ravine, right?
I wonder what will happen to Ys, once he is unemployed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Look at that cute centipede with its wobbly antennas. It wants to say welcome to fun city. :3:
Roughly how many years has it been since Coyote made the ravine anyway? As others have said, it looks fairly torn down.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Being a general mostly means one thing. Paperwork!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love the bedazzled look of the snake in pannel 2.
Just look at that. The eye looks perplexed, the tongue is all twisty. The hissing comes to an aprupt end. The fang is bent outwards. That looks really painfull by the way.
Mister Sidel developed a fine artstyle over the years.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Why are you spoilertagging predictions?
I really like the fact that Ys rooted himself, in order to not get knocked down.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Ys expression in the first panel is priceless. You might be able to make a fine avatar out of that.

Kennel posted:

Because it's 100% correct and therefore a spoiler. :smugdog:

Hmm... This might actually be correct.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

That looks great!
I will probably get that, once I find a way to pay. The SA shop is a real hassle for someone who doesn't have acces to a credit card. They are rather uncommon around here. Took me years to set up an account.

But I really want a new avatar. This one got sort of annoying.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 6, 2013

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Has Jones ever met the Bismuth? She said she wasn't there for the courts foundation, but maybe later...

No she hasn't. When they had this cyber simulation of the founding of the court, they clearly told Annie, that no one knows what the seed Bismuth looks like.
So if this moth is legit, there was never anyone from the court who met it who lived to tell the tale.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Well, they didn't tell the tale. And might be dead by now. So I am technically correct.

You might argue, that the seed Bismuth itself was around at that time. If you want to strain definitions, it is a member of the court.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
HOW is his art so pretty??
This moth produces flashbacks which are visual for the reader. You can't do that if you lie. Therefore this is without a doubt the real seed.

So, originally the court was supposed to be a sanctuary for all creatures. But humans where racist jerks, so they chased everyone else away and tried to use the court as a base to conquer the rest of the forrest.
Yeah. That seems like something humans would do.

Gunnerkrigg court is (amongst other things) an allegory of the destruction of tribal races. It just happened in an alternate universe, where a divine coyote suddenly produced an impassable ravine, stopping the settlers.

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense, that the seed is on that side of the ravine. The court probably only grew around it, but the humans pushed it to expand. Therefore they kept locating it to the borders, where it was cut off from the rest.
This theory only makes sense, if the court stopped growing afterwards. Was that ever established?

I really wonder if Ys knew anything about this. The chapter might end with him telling Annie, that she missed all his important lectures about gaining respect and that this means that the trip was a waste of time.

I am really jealous of all these posters with their avatars.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 11, 2013

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

dyzzy posted:

I kinda assumed the court was a purely human effort from the get-go. Of course they were the ones to make a mess of it...

No. You clearly see forrest creatures among the founders.
This page explains that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 11, 2013

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
There it is. 10 minutes late.

Annies spirit scar is showing in the last pannel. I wonder if that has any significance. Maybe she actually passed out and is talking in some sort of dream.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Buzz in deed.
She is back in the real world. It's probably one of these monsters, who just put you to sleep in order to lay eggs in your eyes.
I like the shadows in the last pannel.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So it was a wisp.

MikeJF posted:

'I'm sure some of it was.'

This statement tells us pretty much nothing. A part of the story was just a reminder of what we knew. For all I know, that was the only true part. Curse you and your faked flashback sequences!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Spiders are natural enemies of wasps. Therefore zimmy is clean.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
For all we know, Paz destroyed that frog leg, though. Kat worked on that thing for months and the moment Paz arrives, it goes haywire. It seems sort of reasonable to attribute this to her. At least she might be identified as the catalyser.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
And the Lord spoke: "Aww well, whatever. Let's get some pizza."
Some hundert years later, scholars will cause a massive war, in a grave dispute over the deeper meaning of those words.

In the real world, Kat would probably just think that, without saying a word. But thought bubbles are weirdly rare in comics. Even though there actually where some in this chapter. I don't know if she is actually the type to talk to herself. She seems more like a brooding person.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Cthulhuchan posted:

Also the animals don't have anything interesting to contribute, conversation-wise, so whatever.

That's literally how people justified slavery.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So we, the audience, see this chapter from Kats perspective. And in the last chapter we could read her thoughts.
Does that mean she sneakily became the main character?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Maybe they do actually see something different. Or Annie just can't count. Have we ever seen her count to a thousand? No? Well to bad, cause we can't be sure. Seriously though it should have been obvious at this point.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Aww. Jones lost her hair clip and is searching it now. It was probably important to her. :smith:
And I guess some boy died.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Ankou can't help you now. You're on your own in this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Fecha posted:

Further evidence that Annie is very attractive.

Comparing that page to todays strip feels surreal.
His art realy progressed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Brightman posted:

It seems sorta ambiguous in that regard. I mean remember the kid at the hospital that the psychopomps were arguing over because his mom belong to one and the dad the other?

Mort will be completely alone. The only person Annie ever shifted over was her mother. But that person was just absorbed. Mort will spend the remainder of all the time in the universe in a white void, with no contact to anyone and no memories of his friends or loved ones. Clearly this is heaven.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So it is actually Annie?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh hey it's Eglamore. It's been a while.

Paley wears that suit quite well, actually.
I really wonder what's going on with that fairy though. Did that blood-shot eyed wolpertinger kidnap her? He does seem like a psychopath and wolpertingers are traditionally assholes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I am not to familiar with the British tax code. How much net income is that?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Aww. Zimmy just got better. Being in a happy relationship can do wonders for your psyche.

The alternative you suggested where he is obsessed with her and tries to make his girlfriend look like her is probably to creepy for this comic.

Why do they not know which ocean that is?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I like the face that the pun was pointed out in the comment. So the author added this speculation.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I wonder if Jones is around.
She doesn't really like boats, but I don't think she is quite heavy enough to sink a cruise ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's Diego.
He put a small part of his personality into every robot and the wireless conection on this ship allowed him to recollect himself.
We didn't ever get an explanation for that secret chip on robots circut board, right?