Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Fried Chicken posted:

Read Annie in the forest, it adds some more to Straight On Til Morning. Annie has a thing for Jack, her behavior there was her doing what the lady elves told her to do to get a guy to like her back

She mad jelly yo

Rasamune posted:

Annie only said Jack because the elf asked her if there was a boy she liked and she was all SELECT First_Name FROM Male_People WHERE Species == "Human" AND Last_Name <> "Eglamore"

I think she was only doing all that because she felt like she ought to, not because she really wanted to

This is one of my favorite things so I'm going to expound on it.

The whole scene is awkwardly, wonderfully innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It is, that's what the motion lines of the arrow are.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

In the same bit where Renard suggests Kat is letting her do it?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait a minute, Annie broke when he took Reynardine (super late I know).

So, in addition to her relationship with him himself, isn't the doll he's in also from her mom?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm going to say she cut her hair with the Tooth, for any reason already suggested.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Itzena posted:

He's going to get all the way through narrating this epic, metaphysical life and death struggle to meet with the psychopomps and wrest an explanation from them at great personal cost, and then Donnie's going to say "You do know you could have just asked your daughter, right?" :D

I don't think he knows. She only told Kat the story, didn't she?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Cool, I just noticed the symbol repeated all over the page. Someone said it was the symbol for arsenic, but arsenic's stem goes all the way across the bar. That one drops from the bar. I would have pegged it for Sanskrit, in which it is a "ka" (क).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't actually remember what she needs to "get going for." To "warn people"?

I've been reading on autopilot for a while, so this thread made me backread and think a lot more about the comic than I've been motivated to for months, I think.

lmao that the thread's been calling "speedrunning to the ending" for at least a calendar year.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Lana, having stolen Coyote's strength from within and become a match for Loup (I can't even tell if this is a joke).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The cogs are parts of Kat's ether giant robot form, which she retroactively gains the power of. As more of them die, we'll see Robo-Kat gradually being assembled in the ether.

And that is an actual serious guess. It pretty much just confirms poo poo peeps have been saying for ages about the robots dreaming their own god.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Annie and Paz have both seen Mecha Kat in the ether and they were basically like ???? so it's never been clear how we were supposed to see its manifestation.

e: so I reread the chapter and it seems to me that what happened in it is that Kat was directly confronted with her responsibility for the people she gave life, and said "idk maybe later," and if this wheel means what I think it means, then the decision not to make a decision in itself is what sent the robot's soul where it was always destined to go, i.e. to Kat anyway? Did I get that right? "I'll figure it out" is self-justifying and possibly the actual source of her power?

Because honestly, I don't hate the intent of "Kat is powerful because she writes her own rules," but the tone - specifically, her flippancy - is the critical flaw in it. We've seen what Kat's like when she's taking science seriously!

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 7, 2024

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It sort of makes sense but it's way too drawn out, so it's a lot of empty air and time for everyone to lose track of the sequence of events.

- Annie notices and confronts Mysterious Girl.
- Suddenly, Shadow appears, calling for Annie.
- The girl, for unclear reasons, tries to grab Shadow and warp away.
- Annie follows them while the girl seems to be trying to get away from her.
- This continues for an entire week.
- Annie finally says she wants to help Shadow. The girl accepts this, as if she previously thought Annie was a threat to Shadow for some reason.
- They stop teleporting near Robot.
- Robot is now Annie's main priority, so she ignores Mysterious Girl for later. <- we are here, but with no idea what the girl wanted, what she thought about Annie or Shadow (or Robot for that matter), why she caused all these problems, why she then suddenly believed Annie was good, or why this took all of February

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Joe Slowboat posted:

Lifer 4 the Mind Cage, I guess. (Mind Cagers is the superior version, both are excellent.)

Also Annie you literally just saw Kat be even more callous about life and death, but you’re going to insist this was deeply unfair characterization of Kat I assume.

No she loves the robots and they love her because she's special.

Oh my god "I'll deal with it later" and "haha, jeez" was the same thing as all the "angel" poo poo. Why is Annie suddenly concerned about "it was worth it," she's been effectively validating it the whole time.

There is, actually, a chance that this is a wake-up call, if it led to Annie and/or Kat's realization that all this fleshbot cult stuff has been happening right under their noses - but then why like this and not via the psychopomps, who Annie already respects?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Randalor posted:

Robot was referring to the experimental limb Kat blew up. As far as I know, that was literally just a limb, nothing with an actual conscience.

Seems to me like the point was that they were taking it pretty seriously.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's a cult of robots, of course you can just talk to them and their belief system disappears in a poof of logic

We do know the robots aren't smart.

(Goddamn the robots used to be fun.)

e: just reading this chapter now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait so Omega is related to Zimmy, right? Her mom or sister or something and Zimmy is the reject the Court doesn't give a poo poo about beyond containing? Did anyone already call that one? That's why she was taken for her. (I feel like there was a point where Gunnerkrigg as a work would have laid better setup about this.)