Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

They tried that two pages ago, Jeanne just seems to auto-gently caress anything mechanical*

*(Except the tic-tocs maybe but we still don't know what their deal is.)

We do know that the tic-tocs weren't created by Diego. That's probably relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm sure it's some optical illusion, but I can't help but see the guy in red in the middle as someone wearing sunglasses and facing mostly away from us. Which makes that red cloak look like some kind of 80's red pleather jacket. I'm sure that it's not supposed to look like a guy in bitchin' shades, but I can't tell what else it's supposed to be.

Maybe it's the crossover of the century.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Problems are not often easy to solve in the heat of the moment.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Glagha posted:

Something isn't exploding right now I'm bored.

when are they gonna get to the tournament arc!!!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Hell yeah! Hell yeah, that's a good click!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Wait. Wait. poo poo. I think I just now realized I may be saying Annie's name wrong.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Dare I ask how

I've always said AN-tih-moh-nee but I think it's actually been AN-tih-mə-nee

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

CodfishCartographer posted:

There’s literally videos with the author pronouncing names.

that's nice

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

Eglamore likes strong, dominant women huh.

who doesn't

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

oh no I think I see what's happening here

Kat isn't sad because the Annies are shattering her worldview or whatever - she's sad because she knows that whatever caused the two Annies' displacement is something that she built

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

MORT

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

artichoke posted:

Is there any other webcomic currently being produced that's even half as good as this one?

Vattu

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

*snaps awake covered with sweat* Reynardine is Piccolo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

The_Final_Stand posted:

Interesting to hear that the Norns, goddesses of Fate, consider Coyote a higher power. Typically, fate is seen as immutable (see, Ragnarok, Greek prophecies, etc), with breaking it generally being the preserve of JRPG boss fights.

the nascence of Coyote directly undermines the concept of fate

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Filthy Haiku posted:

I suddenly had a fear that when we get to mort (because obviously mort is in the top 10)

It will be a little 'in memoriam' photo instead of him since he's gone.

I didn't want to cry today

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

they're right about Dresden Codak though

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

any time I see that a chapter is about Zimmy I resign myself to the fact that I will never understand what happens in said chapter

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

BobTheJanitor posted:

Tony is the only person having a normal human reaction?

this is actually generally how it goes when you think about it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

BobTheJanitor posted:

This sounds like you're suggesting that all of Tony's reactions are 'normal' and 'human'. To which I believe the only proper response is: lol

maybe not all of them but I definitely feel like a lot of the comic is intentionally structured so we view him as more reprehensible than is reasonable

like remember when Tony was like "it's bad that my daughter is cheating at school, it's bad that everyone seems to have just turned a blind eye to this, and it's bad that she is cavorting with a magical being who famously not only kills people but also specifically tried to kill her and also possibly my wife" and then we got several chapters of characters going "man, what an rear end in a top hat"

even the past two or three pages, I think, are supposed to be a stark kind of "maybe these characters are not as reasonable as you, the reader, have been led (by me, the author) to believe"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Did the above posts get to read some future pages in advance where we actually get to see Tony be a good dad or what

telling your kid to do their homework and not cheat is a good dad thing to do imo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

oh yeah this definitely seems like a Great Dad

tony lost his wife to stupid magical bullshit and reacting with anger to what seemed to be further stupid magical bullshit loving with his daughter seems pretty normal to me

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

Really, what good father doesn't have an instinctive revulsion to his child's face to the point of thinking of them as an impostor, pretending to be his dead wife?

friendly reminder that not only do beings exist in this comic that have the specific ability to steal people's bodies but also this character has direct experience dealing with one of said beings directly on multiple occasions in multiple contexts

going to go out on a limb here and say he's not saying he hates his daughter, he's saying he hates all the magical bullshit that stole his wife and now constantly exacerbates his already complex and fraught relationship with his daughter, and that his initial emotional response to forest annie's appearance was something that he had to put a lot of effort into getting past (which we, the readers, have already seen demonstrated)

Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 21, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

I didn't say he hated his daughter. I said his reaction to her face is instinctive revulsion. That's not good parenting!

how you feel about your kid is not parenting

refer to previous posts about how we should accept Tony's explanation of these feelings with the knowledge in mind that he makes a significant and demonstrable effort not to let them influence his actions

to wit; in the scene where he felt this way, he is also the first person to come to Forest Annie's defense and give her the benefit of the doubt

life_source posted:

Hmmm what awful things has Tony done to Antimony

Embarassed her in front of her class; We'll give this an extra point or two to account for "take off your makeup" and "no you don't get a textbook"
Took Renard away from her, temporarily.
Forbid her from going into the Forest to do her job, temporarily.

and like I said, most of these are, like... actually fine

- it's embarrassing to have to take off your makeup but it's also vaguely implied that it's against the rules in the first place
- Renard is, again, as far as Tony knows, a murderous magical creature that very specifically has it out for his family
- the Forest is an extremely dangerous place that is explicitly mostly at conflict with the court and letting any child just kind of wander in there, let alone sending them there for any reason is frankly hilariously irresponsible of the Court

Tenebrais posted:

He moved Annie out of her dorm with her friends and in with him.

yeah, not only is it probably against some rules for her to remain there if she's held back a year, it's probably not a huge leap for Tony to come to the conclusion that her friends have not been a great influence

and to be frank that's not... entirely wrong, in some cases,

Macaluso posted:

Do some people here just think it's okay for a parent to act like such the weird distant emotionless robot like Tony does when it comes to Annie?

hot take; Tony's personality is almost exactly the same as Annie's

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think 'caused her to dissociate so intensely by shaming her in front of her friends as the first time she'd seen him in literally years, that she used magic to help her hyper-dissociate part of her soul apart from her' is much more important than the specific end goal of his actions in those scenes!

friend if I were a parent of a child with a magical side whose main desire seems to be "Burn Things To Death" I would immediately make it my utmost priority to have them dissociate from it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

Defending him with 'I would also cause my child to dissociate their anger about me to the best of my ability' is... not the W you think it is.

yeah you're really good at switching the language into being about what you want it to be but there's a marked difference between "my child's anger" and "my child's literal magical fire powers"

here's a spicy take about Antimony: it is actually Not A Good Thing that she is a psychopomp and a fire spirit and a forest medium and etc. and Tony is seemingly the only person who understands this and gives a poo poo, but his attempts to divert her away from what is very obviously a dangerous and inhumane path are coloured by his unfortunate personality issues and subsequently denounced by Annie's entourage of enablers

it would be great if Tony were better at communicating and didn't have all of these bad feelings about his wife's death tied up in his subsequent parental failures with regards to his daughter - even all that being said, his attempts at being a parent are still significantly better than everyone else's (which is, demonstrably, none at all)

I do not think Tony is a good dad but I think the most realistic thing about the way he is written is that he's obviously Trying, and frankly the exaggerated attitudes about how he's apparently the world's worst dad and also world's worst person because he had the audacity to have emotional problems that are further exacerbated by unnatural and unrealistic circumstances is frankly irritating performative bullshit

like you might as well say "gosh why doesn't Tony just Hold Space for Annie" and move on

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

all the responses to and judgments of Tony both in and outside the text eerily mirror how people have perceived actions that have an internal logic and emotional drive but are not fully apparent to be in line with social norms as evidence of my callousness as a neuroatypical person. I don't know if that's exactly what Tom Siddell is going for but if so it's some good writing. I've gained a lot of coping mechanisms and strategies for dealing with things over the years but I often still feel trapped in a range of motion that's constrained by how others perceive me, typically through biased first impressions, if that makes sense.

yeah but those coping mechanisms aren't exactly what I've arbitrarily imagined and codified as the good thing to do, and therefore you are a Bad Person, a declaration that definitely has value and meaning

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I'm that way IRL.

can't believe you'd just admit to being a bad father like this

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

That association probably only happened in the first place because he was away for so long. He'd last seen Annie when she was 11, then coming back when she's 15 or so and now wearing her mother's makeup, it's easy to see how he might initially see Surma sitting there rather than Annie and get shocked about it. Something he never got over.

there is the psychological aspect to it but also knowing this comic he probably perceives Annie as 'Surma, Again' because it is also literally, magically, true

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Or, to put it another way, the characters in this comic have done a lot of thinking about Tony but nobody has done anything about him and that's arguably the more important part.

if only there were a page in the comic where a character literally points this out or something

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I like tony :shrug:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

Maintaining contact with the abuser might be a bad thing... except that the abuse is emotional neglect and removing himself from her life entirely does not, in fact, remove the abuse. I'd actually call the impulse to suggest that she should be separated from him, taking into account that she does not want this, to be abusive in itself.

yeah but he made her take her makeup off!!!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

bad faith arguments

Ditocoaf posted:

straw man arguments

I see we're in big brain posting time

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Begemot posted:

Honestly, if this page had gone up at the same time as the last page, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Webcomic pacing strikes again!

do you think some of the posters in this thread walk out of movies three quarters of the way through with the hands in the air, shouting "I [i]can't[/] believe the bad guy is going to win! I assume!"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

catapede posted:

Do you think you can contribute to the thread without being snide to posters who disagree with you?

don't worry, friend, there's gonna be another page after this one. you don't have to panic and start canceling all the characters that didn't get enough paragon points

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

maybe this is wrong but I feel like this isn't a story that's building towards a climax, it's just a long list of things that happen and it's interesting to see the characters deal with those things

maybe that's just my expectation since this is a comic that's managed to keep my attention for 15 years despite only like one thing really being Resolved

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

entirely exposition about Annie's feelings without outside events progressing in any way.

but enough about Gunnerkrigg Court,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Splicer posted:

"Hey Donnie it's Tony. The court are dragging me back. They have me teaching, can you believe it. I should probably meet my daughter in private before showing up in her class. "

iirc it is heavily implied if not outright said that the court purposefully did not allow this

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

runwiled posted:

Where is this going?!

but enough about Gunnerkrigg Court,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

a character in the comic: it sure is weird that all of these people are so preoccupied with their dislike for this dude that they completely write off all of the other odd and dangerous stuff in Antimony's life

readers: but her MAKEUP though!

like I think the intent here is to show that both the characters and the readers are very against tony and his whatsits and that's fine but they also seem largely incapable of - in the context of the story! - delineating what they would prefer to happen instead

and I know there's been a lot of posts about "they should get therapy" - I feel like one should measure how often the reality is that therapy is expensive and unavailable for people, and then replace our own contemporary capitalist horseshit with amoral secret science entity and/or manipulative magical creatures and forces

Bleck fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 24, 2021