Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Sucks reading stuff in this thread made in 2014 with posters being rather blatantly transphobic. Just wanted to read about cool speculation/reactions to old content, but nah, gotta read about someone saying transgender women should be definitely be harassed because they had the gall to point out an off hand joke might be iffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Newest treatise is the best one because it features double the Annies of the previous ones.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Line Feed posted:

I think something tragic is going to happen to Ysengrin before this comic is over. :(

Rereading through the old posts.

I hope the Annies get their wolfdad back :(

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I like the part where they sexualized an underage girl to prove a point.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
He elaborated without prompting. Progress!

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

CJacobs posted:

I appreciate that Tom has been drawing the same makeup kit for 15 years. Annie's got her taste and she won't change it for anyone.

edit: Honestly that's one of things I think is truly special about the comic, is that Tom recalls details other artists would dismiss as unimportant under the general excuse of "they won't notice". It's not important to the comic to draw Annie's makeup kit the exact same as the last time we saw it like ten real life years ago, but what makes Tom unique as a creator is that he does it anyway, because why not. You lose nothing and you gain that little bit of realism or grounding even in a fantastical story. In an age where comic books became well known for [SEE CHAPTER x IN THE AMAZING ANNIE ISSUE y] popups whenever the reader needs to be reminded of something, Gunnerkrigg does not, because the viewer is rewarded naturally for paying attention to the little details.

To be fair, Tom also adds in little flashbacks when something relevant from an earlier part in the story comes up.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I don't think Eglamore's steroids are genetic though, unless that Annie decides to follow her dad's footsteps.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

dragon enthusiast posted:

wasn't the thread interpretation that Loup saw Kat through the ether?

It makes sense, since Kat sees the ether differently (breaking everything down to "how it functions" and eschewing all the pomp and circumstance) and it's mentioned on this page that the Court was making a different way of "seeing the unseen world."

Kat's way of seeing the ether is definitely something the Court would love to have.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Renard comes back to the two Annies and they're throttling each other.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

SHISHKABOB posted:

Poor Zimmy, literally just sitting there looking at kids having fun and thinking "wow they all must hate me". Literally also me at that age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTdnIUe9TXM

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

CJacobs posted:

The comic has now produced two entities created by weaving the fibers of multiple independent beings together. Will it take a third before you folks finally understand that synthesis in the comic's world does not require the destruction of the participating elemets? What do you think happens to your consciousness when you go to sleep at night?

Riot Bus posted:

Are the people that keep saying that Courtnie specifically is dead joking or are they serious? Because that take in particular makes no sense to me.

I dunno if the previous example of 2 entities being merged into one said that both of the constituent parts are dead and one of said constituent parts agrees then you can forgive people for assuming that the same would hold for the 2nd example.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I've a hard time articulating it exactly at 1am but I think that there's a more obvious interpretation of Annie having a vision of Jones interrupting her and Kamlen by giving her an expressionless mask she can wear over her face to hide her tears, a mask which she also uses to cover up secrets she wants to keep from Kat, the person who she took the mask off when sitting next to. I also tend to think that when characters make statements like Zimmy or Idra here it's the story's way of having a chuckle with the readers because they are getting the wrong end of the stick.

I always thought Annie's crush was Hyland, though I guess that was a while back.

Why was Jones naked tho

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2122

They acknowledge Andrew as attractive separate from the crush tho

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

LashLightning posted:

It's pretty clear that she admires Jones for not showing outward emotion, which she considers a positive trait because of her admiration for her father, but it's not a "crush".

Zerilan posted:

Tracks with her also repeating Ysengrin's statement that burying your emotions makes you stronger.

This makes sense but it still doesn't explain why Jones is naked.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Joe Slowboat posted:

I didn't say he hated his daughter. I said his reaction to her face is instinctive revulsion. That's not good parenting! In fact, it's the kind of thing that means you probably should not be parenting that child at the moment. The Court is exacerbating things by actively pushing him into this position, but Tony's inability to stop taking out his issues on Annie is not to his credit as a father.

I find how you react instinctively to be far less important compared to how you immediately think afterwards and how you actually act.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Can we go back to when there were two Annies

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Hey as a trans person equating the actual real animal testing ethics problems with the entire robot stuff by implying the robot stuff is trans metaphor feels weird!

I've never gotten any sort of trans theming wrt the robots so.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Potsticker posted:

That's not an invitation to check it out btw. QC is not a good comic.

I'm enjoying it more the Gunnerkrigg Court lol

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
All Night Laundry ended so good for being 5 years worth of daily calvinball with the audience.

Read All Night Laundry btw.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Kid Radd is rad.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Nuns with Guns posted:

Both Annies live in master Annie's head permanently now, like Kami and Nail in Piccolo's head in the DBZ Abridged videos. There's a bean bag chair in there.

If the two Annies actually ended up as headmates in the combined Annie and we saw them providing commentary and guiding the combined Annie that would've been so much more interesting.

Instead we got whatever the gently caress this is.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Youremother posted:

Tony is unquestionably a bad guy but he's also clearly dealing with some kind of untreated and unacknowledged mental disorder.

Part of the issue is there doesn't seem to be any effort from literally any of the cast to address the mental issue part. It's just "lol welp he's just gonna Be Like That Forever, Annie you'll just have to deal with it, literally nothing we can do." It's loving insulting not only for people who are victims of parental abuse and/or neglect but also for anyone who can relate to Tony's issues because it's saying "you can't do anything about your mental problems, just give up on making them better and hope your loved ones you hosed over forgive you unconditionally."

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
If Tom breaks up one of his only queer representation in the entire comic that would be loving hilarious in the sad way.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, and I suspect the pages that have extra effort are like that because they were probably the ones planned far in advance. Like the previous one with Kat mourning and the star ocean one with the people standing in it, etc. So it's likely he had ideas of how he wanted them to look so they get extra special effort. But he doesn't have the energy to spend on how to neatly connect the various final events of the comic, so everything else doesn't match up quality wise. So the comic ends up as a bunch of low effort talking head pages inbetween the occasional nice page or interesting event (That then gets completely deflated by talking heads soon after).

I guess it might be the difference of finishing this comic in a couple of years, versus maybe 10 years or whatever if he were to keep up the previous quality, give events time to breathe, etc etc. It sucks but I can imagine if he just wants it to be over but still give the comic an ending this might be the only route available I guess.

And for what it's worth, a coyote-esque entity forgetting himself and fully becoming a goose wife is very on brand. It's not a particularly exciting or well executed version of that sort of twist but it's absolutely a well telegraphed thing that makes sense given what we know of the character. Coyote literally brought that story up in one of his last appearances in the comic.

The problem is we really have no reason to care about him becoming the goose wife, or anything he does really.

If Loup became a loser girl falling in love with naive robot girl instead of a loser boy id be way more invested lmfao.

The weird racist alleyway sexual assault bit would still be loving stupid.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I'd say that Annie died when Zimmy killed the two Annies with no warning or opportunity for them to actually talk it out.

The Annie we see walking around is a caricature born of Zimmy's impression of her.

Totally what happened and not Tom making one of the missteps that have plagued the comic the past few years.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Splicer posted:

Loup is a near omnipotent being powered by stories but has no understanding or control of his powers. He's been unconsciously reshaping the narrative to make himself the protagonist, but because he's a dumb emo kid it's a blend of dark'n'tortured power fantasy and stuff his equally immature but much more mainstream girlfriend likes. People acting out of character, wrapping up or retconning storylines he doesn't care about, de-emphasising the original cast in favour of his literal self insert, he's a teenage boy writing fanfic under whatever the zoomer equivalent of xXxSephirothxXx_3 is but instead of an AOOO account he's got reality itself.

GunnerJ posted:

Big fan of this tbh

Hate to say it but Homestuck did this first and arguably did it better. At the very least the quality of the story didn't drop despite a large portion of that part of the story literally being lovely MS Paint scribbles.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ronya posted:

k6bd seems to have had trouble deciding whether or not it wants to have an overarching A-plot over the years

say what you will about GKC, it had momentum for more than a decade, and I would say now still that its current flaws lie more in execution than concept

I daresay this comparison has been drawn before but k6bd's evolution as a webcomic reminds me most of the La Brea tarpit of the Girl Genius Castle Heterodyne arc: the writer has so much fun adding flourishes to plot originally sketched for one book - expanding unexpectedly popular side characters, adding more witty character interactions, more climactic scenes - that it drags on, and on, and on until they have to hit the reset button just so that the plot recovers from its stall. And along the way the whole "merry gang has adventures" element just gets ... lost? so that the adventures that characters call back to having don't even get to have any on-screen time

I...don't think this criticism applies to KSBD at all? The A-plot has been very clear since the first book.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ironically I suspect K6BD is going to end up in an MCU end point textually where the text will never endorse anyone with a plan to make things better, only giving accolades to trying to prevent things from getting worse, in Allison’s explicit retreat from the notion of having any kind of thesis whatsoever.

I sincerely don't know how you get that at all given all the themes and messages of the comic and supplemental materials, along with Abbadon's own politics in his other works like Lancer or that he talks about.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Remember when this webcomic was good

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
IIRC most people pressed it a couple of times at most. That dude pressed it like 200 times in 15 minutes.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 17, 2023

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ymgve posted:

we literally saw her alive inside some box as the ending of the last chapter

People pointed out that was supposed to be some memorial page thing because it matched up with some other panel with Loup and Lana together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
What were the thread's previous couple titles? There were some good ones summarizing how poo poo the comic is now.