Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Haha yes, this certainly sounds like Coyote. You can pretend to be dead, but that's not really dead.

I wonder how this lines up with (Coyote comic spoilers) the part of himself that Coyote left in America.

That comment by Tom though =(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Ditocoaf posted:

I feel like the art style shifting a bit nearly every panel during Loup's monologue is effectively conveying a kind of disjointed chaos to his personality. Coyote's chaos was fluid, Loup just feels barely in control of himself.

Yeah, agreed.

We've seen how Coyote has been manipulating Ys' relationship to Annie starting with Ysengrin and the lake. We've also seen how severely Coyote has been doing this by consistently removing memories of some of their interactions. I imagine Coyote eavesdropped on every conversation Annie and Ysengrin have had, so I'm sure he used that info for further manipulations. It'll be interesting to see how much influence Coyote really had over their friendship, because I don't think it would have worked if it was 100% Coyote.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

OgreNoah posted:

I love how Annie gets angry in response to this ridiculous threat instead of scared.

Haha, same.

Loup speaking about Ysengrin in the present tense, I see.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's usually a thing with fusions, at least in Steven Universe.

My point is that it seems like an interesting way to talk about Ysengrin when Loup claims Ys is dead (unless this is also common with fusions; I have no idea and have yet to watch Steven Universe).

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Ditocoaf posted:

Ys himslef may be dead, but some of Ysengrin's feelings can be referred to in the present tense: Loup has Ysengrin's love for Annie, and recognizes that. His love for Coyote was referred to in past tense because there's no longer a Coyote to love.

Ooo yes, good point and another interesting way to look at it.

Tooth convo: Coyote had already replaced that tooth here https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=686

Unless Coyote has been consistently drawn missing that tooth when he goes bony, I think the teeth here are a style choice.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Hremsfeld posted:

Hoping he's distracting himself enough for the tooth to get used...if Parley can find a physical body to cut.

Ether-slicin' with Coyote's tooth to separate Coyote and Ysengrin? (not a real prediction, but hm)

Loup continues to be a scary, unhinged creeper.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Ditocoaf posted:

Loup's "ha! fine!" sounds like he knows it's a classic trick but he's willing to fall for it anyway (obligated as he is by character archetype).

Hahaha, yep.

PS: I love weasel Loup

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I also heard Coyote as a mix between the robot devil from Futurama and the lion leader from Island of Misfit Toys, lol.

Lurdiak posted:

I doubt any of our inner voices for the characters are appropriate anyway. Do any of us even remember Kat is supposed to be Scottish when reading?

Oh geez, I didn't even realize Kat is Scottish and I've read this comic numerous times.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Samuringa posted:

Ys is just very tsundere for humanity

Humanity-san! ...B-baka!

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Ooo I was wondering if the bone and lake water would come up during this.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Been loving the last couple chapters(I love just about anything forest related though haha). I'm assuming Coyote and Ys are gonna be separated eventually, and I'm really curious what the fallout is going to be, especially for Ys. And we've learned a lot about Coyote and Ysengrin, and we learned that the court might potentially try to send Annie away.

Yeah it's a three day a week comic, but i feel like we're gonna get more long-form stories as we get closer to the late stages of the comic. I'd rather have a comic that's more enjoyable to read in big chunks than one that's better 3-pages a week, because I'm going to read it a lot more the former way.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Glare Seethe posted:

This new treatise is just absolutely gorgeous.

Agreed. Might buy the poster of this one when available :3

Synthbuttrange posted:

The lady and robot from the secret court ops escaping on a ladder! :3:

There's a shard of light behind them that looks like it's piercing them. Similar shards coming out of Kat and one out of Annie.

The egg is in front of a mandala. Perhaps the egg represents the ether? Fragile and damaged.

e:

The needles on the treatise page are present here, too!

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
As a socially anxious person, this doesn't seem too out of character for Tony. He's had plenty of time to get used to his other-daughter, and seeing the two of them behave like sisters suddenly forced to share WOULD be pretty hilarious in its own way. I imagine he sees a lot of himself in Annie, so it adds to the humor of the situation.

He waited until they were all on their own before letting the laugh go, too.

Still didn't expect this reaction from him though, haha.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Splicer posted:

And since there's two of them it only needs to be 15 years!

Forest Annie already lost 6 months. What's another 15 years?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

And now, Annie's greatest struggle ever: Keeping her mouth shut about dinner.

Oh geez. Past Annie would 100% bring that up in a spiteful way.

This massively sucks for both of them in different ways. I think Tony simply opened up that night because the situation for the Annies was so awkward. So far as I can tell, Tony hasn't talked to Court Annie since she stormed off. Naturally, the Annies will assume the worst for each of them.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Is there an art error in the middle panel? It looks like Forest Annie is wearing makeup.

Lol she totally is! Good catch.

Seems like Court Annie living with her dad hasn't had a positive effect on her. And she's taking it out on the only person who really understands. Good ol' Annie!

Adorable about Tom's engagement. I couldn't help but be like, "Dude don't move to the US! Y'all have Brexit, but you also have health care!" when I read he was moving, haha.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Tenebrais posted:

Didn't her clothes end up a bit singed?

Yeah, but I think that's from being caught up in the situation. Annie can make the fire behave however she wants. She made it give out warmth but safe to touch on the camping trip, for example.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
While Paz would have a point if she talked about how unattentive and selfish Annie can be in regards to what Kat is going through, this lecture sounds more like, "Your life is lovely, and it worries Kat so you shouldn't be Kat's friend." That's poo poo.

Also, going behind Kat's back to berate the friend she is worried about is a surefire way to make Kat even more unhappy. Yeah, they're teens, but this is extremely disrespectful.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

VanSandman posted:

I wonder if this might end with Kat breaking up with Paz.

I wonder this too. This would be a huge violation of boundaries if Paz was my girlfriend.

Also hot take: Paz mentioned the burning because she talks to animals and have used them to spy on Annie. It seems weirdly specific to say since Annie has never actually threatened people this way (that i can recall).

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Cat Mattress posted:

Never in the Court, but there was the whole Fun City "it's not my blood" episode.

e. there: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1259
a perfectly polite and understated threat, but a threat

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, in hindsight that may have disturbed Paz a bit. Come to think about it, where those 2 (3?) ever shown to be friendly with each other? Could be that Paz sort of resented her from the start. I guess it's hard being someone's girlfriend's best friend.

Sure, Paz always tolerated Annie. But I honestly don't think they could be considered friends.

Hell, judging by the length of those scribbles, she didn't even bother to sign the card. https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1511

Haha yeah, good point. Annie may have needed to fight, but Paz sees all this from an unfamiliar, 3rd party perspective. We have no idea what Paz and Kat have talked about regarding Annie, and there's no reason to believe Kat is completely honest with Paz about her feelings on the matter. I imagine the dishonesty is partially responsible for this blowup.

How could I forget about the man himself, Jim Jams?

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Hell yeah Zimmy and Gamma. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I saw them.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Cat Mattress posted:

Obviously, what they need is a second Gamma.

If Kat can barely handle these Annies not being "hers", I can't imagine how Zimmy might react to the same thing with Gamma haha (assuming she found that tidbit out).

Hempuli posted:

I leafed through The Torn Sea recently to look for Tom's comment where Gamma and Zimmy were mentioned as "Gamma & Zeta" (couldn't find that), and there's a page when things are still going fine on the boat where Gamma quite clearly would want to join in on the social life & dancing but Zimmy kind of wordlessly reminds her what the deal is. Based on past scenes it's not like Gamma generally has a problem with being with Zimmy, but I definitely do wish that they figure out something so that Gamma can become only a part-time Zimmy-energy-modulator (preferably so that they can still hang out. I guess the wish should be directed at Zimmy getting better instead?)

Here's the page: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1394

Are you maybe thinking of when one of the robots called Zimmy "Subject Zeta"?

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1400

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I am dying for that Zimmy and Gamma side-comic Tom wants to do.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also wow, never seen Zimmy this chilled out and content. Good for her.

Yeah, she's looking cool as a cucumber.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Kantesu posted:

Honestly, the way Kat sees ether stuff kind of seems to confirm what Zimmy's saying. She tends to see things as what they do, rather than what they present themselves as. It's less that she can't see ether stuff as she forces it to be something understandable, despite its own best efforts.

Her dealing with the eyeball and tapes in the ROTD are some of my favourite pages.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1314

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1345

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Kat says, "There's a lot of work to do, so we're going to need help." which makes me believe she's using these robots to potentially build new bodies for the "shield" robots.

Edit: haha beaten ^

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Even if that's just what she's doing, it's expressly against the wishes of the old robots. They wanted to stay dead and their bodies be allowed to rest forever. Kat is breaking that promise to them and essentially desecrating their remains, but she's decided it's worth it because of how important her work is. I'm thinking that's why she has that expression.

This is how I feel. I don't know if she's bringing the old robots' "souls" back or puppeteering, but based on how the comic has treated court robots as more than machines, and based on the conversation with the last old robot, this doesn't feel right. Kat is trying to find a solution to the shield robots' body issues as fast as possible without considering the consequences.

Kikas posted:

Oh no.
Oh no.

She's going to wake the dead en masse, Robot is gonna have a field day with this.

And yeah, Robot is gonna be all about this in one way or another. I wonder if he's currently nearby.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

CJacobs posted:

I feel like I'm getting a different read on this conversation than the rest of the thread. To me it just seems like Kat is struggling with this whole situation and is tired of suppressing it, and Annie and Annie operating in total synthesis to tell her how much they care about her is the opposite of what she wanted to hear. Every time they both share the same thought with her like this it reinforces that it is real, it is possible, and it's totally inexplicable right now and possibly will be forever.

Also my read on it. I imagine their response to what Kat said is extremely overwhelming in these circumstances. The problem is there are two Annies, and now both these Annies are literally surrounding Kat telling her how great she is while that is far from Kat's issue. Annie: continuing to not "get it" socially.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
It's Boxbot. He was shunned and imprisoned in his current body for meddling in the realms of ornithology and chronology. I think it was covered in one of the side-comics.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

blastron posted:

Is this Court Annie trying to get her dad to open up to her the way that he does to Forest Annie by trying to bamboozle him into thinking that she’s Forest Annie?

Yes =3

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I mean yeah, the short answer to everything is that Tony is a poo poo dad who should have broken up with Surma before pregnancy instead of believing he could fix things. But he didn't, and he didnt.

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, it's speculative. We don't even know how much he knows about the Annies' predicament.

It's entirely possible that he does see Forest Annie as a real Annie, but one from another timeline where some other Tony Carver was the neglectful parent that nearly killed her, and thus didn't have it weighing over him and could comfortably be the kind of father he wants to be. Meanwhile even if he knows Court Annie is also from another timeline by now, he's still been cold and distant to her for most of the last year and know he needs to make up for it but doesn't know how and gets stuck in a vicious cycle of making it worse.

Or it might not be that. We don't get a lot of looks into what he's thinking.

I think this is a solid idea and makes sense.

For another perspective based on my own anxiety:
I tend to have bad anxiety dealing with people in general (including family), but sometimes when something is more awkward for someone else, I kind of "get over it" enough to assist the other person. Tony sees how awkward, perplexing, and annoying this situation is for Forest Annie, and it allows him to let his guard down enough to interact with her in a natural way. Yeah, the way he treats Court Annie is awkward and anxiety-inducing for her, but that's been normalized between them for over a decade, and he's the direct cause of it. Forest Annie's doppelganger situation was outside his control.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Potsticker posted:

Legitimately thought this was a joke image you made up until I checked the site myself.

Lmao, same. Holy poo poo indeed.

Poor Gamma.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Lmao Forest Annie did not gently caress around there.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Tupperwarez posted:

Edit: Also, I don't see Ray, Beef, or Cornelius in the teddy bear pile this time :(

Don't worry, they're just out of frame, GOPPing too.

Bremma posted:

It's actions like this that got her into the top 10 on the character poll!

It's true

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Enjoying the overly-weepy Renard hahaha

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Warmachine posted:

That is clearly not Renard. Renard is with Gamma. Are you suggesting there are now two Renards?

(I'm enjoying the meta-exploration of the Zimmyverse we're getting with Renard and Gamma)

Yeah, it clearly isn't, which is why I didn't think I had to be specific.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Warmachine posted:

I was digging for a joke about there being two Annies that was apparently clearer in my head than it was in my posting.

Lmao, no worries. I was wondering if you were, but I can be a bit dense there haha.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

going pretty JTHM over here

Ha! It does make me think of that.

I am super stoked! It's out for patrons now. If only I wasn't trying to do homework =(

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Ditocoaf posted:

Renard is an expert at the grammar of referring to both of Antimony.

Hahaha I thought the same thing.

I love Renard. He's just great.

CJacobs posted:

Haha, I really like the visual effect starting on page 18, the thick outlines make it look like someone took a cigarette to the comic itself or something.

I loved this too. And the "reveal" of it being blood was cool. A lot of great visuals in Zim Grim.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

FronzelNeekburm posted:

By the way, in case anyone else, like me, wasn't paying attention, the ad at the top of the site notes that volume 8 is out.

Ok, I'm glad you pointed that out. I thought I was going crazy. I saw the ad, and thought I somehow missed the book release.

And yep about the stock. I paid a not-crazy-but-decent-amount to buy a used copy of volume 1 and 2 for my niece for her birthday.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Arbetor posted:

Three panels involving a character and situation that routinely involves playing with our perceptions of characters, and the character's perceptions of themselves and other characters. IF the two Annie situation is resolved like this, I will be very disappointed, but assuming that it is now resolved, when Zimmy is right there, seems premature.

Yeah. I'm guessing this isn't the Annies being permanently back together, but something more along the lines of the Divine chapter.

There Bias Two posted:

She somehow manages to look blander than either of the separate Annies.

Well you're clearly biased against one Annie =)

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Bongo Bill posted:

This seems like a development that will be more satisfying to archive readers.

Yeah, I was thinking this too. I think this comic often suffers from the MWF update speed. I sometimes find myself enjoying it more when I forget to check for awhile, and then catch up in chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Jones is gonna go around, getting everyone's opinions mockumentary-style