Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The interaction between Jack and Annie kind of bugged me in that chapter. Like she was apologizing for accidentally seducing him or something. It wasn't a huge deal, but the way it played out kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Does Annie have some weird curse that makes guys think they're in love with her or something? Because this is playing a hell of a lot out like when Jack tried to kiss her - right down to the "Oh thank God" when he was given an out.

Although, I was never really satisfied by the conclusion of that. Am I wrong, or did Annie end up agreeing that it was her fault Jack had a crush on her...? It all seemed a little confusing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This makes me wonder if Megatokyo's plot is still like only 2 days in. Not enough to actually go read Megatokyo though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm still convinced this really was Coyote's real master plan all along, every bit of it, because fuckin' Coyote, you know?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

OgreNoah posted:

I'm sticking by my prediction that Rey's power to take things over is what will solve this problem.

Coyote DID want Reynardine to be the one to kill him. Maybe this is Coyote forcing his hand?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Warmachine posted:

I think you'll find that Loup != Coyote. Nossir. Coyote and Ysengrin are dead. I. Am. LOUP.

Coyote doesn't lie, but Loup has no such compunctions.

I think Loup doesn't realize he's lying - he's lying about things that he thinks SHOULD be true. Like, Coyote had this power, so I have it too! Even though it's clearly not working. But he doesn't seem to comprehend that as not being "truth", because, hey, it SHOULD work!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So Loup is Trump then?

Oh. Oh gently caress.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Warmachine posted:

Oh. Great. Now I have another comic to catch up on.

Oh I loving envy you that you get to experience K6BD for the first time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

At this point I have to assume she's just looking for a way to get (safely) away from him and stop him from attacking the court, and she'll figure out the rest later.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

madjack posted:

Her hair is longer than it was earlier in the day. So either a fire elemental has magical hair regrowth powers (which wouldn't be a surprise) or maybe that trip into a time-frozen forest has taken weeks/months/years?

Nah I think her hairband just fell off.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

madjack posted:

Nope, this is from just before she went and got ready for the trip, hair is around her shoulders.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1998

Hm, guess you're right. I think it's likely Tom messed up and drew her hair too long, but magical fire elemental hair regrowth does seem like the most plausible explanation.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lt. Lizard posted:

Nah, looking through the chapter, her hair was short before she went full fire elemental mode at Loup and after that, her hair suddenly got a lot longer. Its definitely magical fire elemental hair regrowth.

It also changes sizes repeatedly between panels in the previous chapter - the ponytail looks WAY fuller and longer in the beginning of this chapter than it did during that one. So I think it's POSSIBLE it was an error by Tom. But it could be regrowth too, absolutely.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If that's the case it'll be more like 6 months, that's way more than a month's hair growth.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No, in the last panel of this page she's out of the ether, and it is clearly longer. (I think I'm wrong about it being an error now.)

are fun to speculate and talk about.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Iceclaw posted:

Wait... isn't the forest supposed to be frozen still? Is the bad dog telling a lie?

It seems like Loup doesn't seem to realize he's lying and is knowingly lying (and doesn't care how obvious it is) at the same time. Would make sense for an unstable being that is two very different personalities mashed together.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's a bit early to speculate, but Loup did do SOMETHING to make them stop looking for her, so... That seems like a possibility :/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bruceski posted:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2048

Given Loup's comment at the bottom of that one about "playing a little trick to stop the Court looking for you" this seems pretty obvious in hindsight.

This chapter is literally called "Loup's Trick"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jones and Elgamore interacting reminded me of this moment:

I really hope Jones doesn't have emotions like she says, otherwise Elgamore's face in that last panel is heartbreaking :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You know Loup would just "fix" this by killing one of them. Annie(s) is better off with this being the status quo, as uncomfortable as it might be.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm sure someone pointed this out already, but in addition to the hair difference, Court Annie = makeup and Forest Annie = no makeup.

I mean, it's probably just because Court Annie didn't share any of "hers" with Forest Annie, but I assume it'll continue that way for now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ironic Twist posted:

welp it's a bottle episode

I eagerly await the tears of the people in other threads who were complaining Gunnerkrigg is bad now because the current plot is too slow.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There better be a DBZ fusion dance joke on the chapter stinger page.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

and then they kiss

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Aw, the implications of this are kind of tragic. Tony can't open up to Court Annie because she's his daughter, and he is able to open up to Forest Annie because he doesn't think of her as his daughter :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

At this point, I'll be super, super dissapointed if they are ever joined back together, or if one of them turns out to be a fake of some kind (that believes it's real). I'm super on board with this being the new status quo and shaping everyone's lives going forward. Thankfully this comic has a track record of not copping out in plot elements like this, and we'll likely now have a whole new relationship to watch grow - Annie and Annie, and how they relate to others in this new way.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BobTheJanitor posted:

The Annies finally set aside their differences and share a heartwarming hug, only to find out that one of them was made of antimatter. Loup flips down his shades as he watches the blooming fireball in the distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D01mdGW9-Zg

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

Who said she was being a witch? Did court Annie get a boyfriend?

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2105 ?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Unless she's gotten over him, her crush is this guy, isn't it?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, that's my point. Even if he was a while ago, Kamlen is the only character we've seen her interested in in that way. Not saying it couldn't be someone else we do know, but it feels unlikely.

And remember, when she was in the hospital, Zimmy saw Kamlen in Annie's mind. Not sure how long after that was after she met him, but clearly he still left an impression.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

OhFunny posted:

whaaat. I didn't know there were extra comics strips!

Yeah it's weird those were hidden away like that, the two with Annie in particular. I wish Tom had just posted them as regular content updates and said "hey these are side stories I decided not to color, enjoy!"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think his smile is fine - he's got a few key differences from Jones, in that he was created by a human and he has the capacity to learn emotions. So his smile can actually improve.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly I'm a bit sad Tom didn't stick with the purple muscle look for his biological body. I really liked that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ok so Kat is pretty much outright stating her goals are to play god and make actual people and everyone's reaction is just, "Hey, good job there sport!"

Well, everyone except the court, whose reaction is to give the perception of turning a blind eye while clearly bankrolling the whole thing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And there is still the question of who is bankrolling this or letting her use the space

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Warmachine posted:

Also, there's no reason to assume that the Court doesn't at least know the broad strokes of what she is working on. If the Court didn't want her making organic machines, they'd have shut her down a long time ago.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I'm making in a sarcastic way. It's obvious the Court knows what Kat is doing and approves/benefits from it, but everyone pretends it's going on secretly.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No, that's the hand in motion, tapping her arm.

But yes, it does not matter.

gently caress, beaten

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Eglamore is right but he undermined himself by being dismissive even before her powers were sealed. You don't really endear yourself to someone by telling them "I guess it't not such a bad thing you came along after all!"

He also says earlier she shouldn't have come because it's too dangerous, he's probably referencing that: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2171

He's pretty consistent about being protective of her, with or without her powers. She does have a point, but it's hardly the time to make an issue out of it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Interesting to note: the forest dwellers who were transferred into human bodies were dependant on Coyote to do it. So that's not happening anymore :(

... Well, except that Kat has figured out transference. So they'll probably need her technology for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oh yes there is also that tiny minor issue