Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Dodgeball posted:

\
EDIT: Hey, here's a fun thing we can do. This was the page that got me into Gunnerkrigg. I remember a bunch of goons making a big deal out of "It goes up again!" and I wanted to see what the hullabaloo was all about.

The page after that has what is probably my favorite panel, where she's giving Annie/Kat the finger. My second favorite panel? The one where Coyote says "Hey Antelope! Nice FACE you have! FOR A GIANT IDIOT I MEAN AHAHAHAHAHAHA I AM SO SMART!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

The 19th Person posted:

So, according to Jones, Smitty's power isn't to "create order". It's to "distort probability".

Jones also referred to teleportation as 'distorting space'. Perhaps she just likes the word 'distort' and makes excuses to use it in conversation.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

An (effectively) orphaned tween having abandonment issues and lashing out? This definitely means she's a bad person.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I think this chapter is about how Annie's gone from being a pre-teen to a proper teenager over the course of the comic. She started in what, year 6? And it's year 8 now. Two years is a pretty long time at that age.

Annie's discovered a boy and been incredibly awkward around him, and now she's owned the poo poo out of one of her friends over a perceived slight. She'll probably regret it later, but did it anyway because the parts of her brain that control empathy and judgment are awash in adolescence chemicals.

Kat had a crush on Alistair and has been "kind of a butt" over Teen Angst recently; it makes sense that Annie would be a bit of a late bloomer. I mean, this chapter has her straight up tell Reynard :mad: YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD :mad: so it seems a pretty clear interpretation of what's going on.

Welcome to Puberty, Population: Lonely

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

At this rate she's never going to get that homework done.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

"After all, how can you be human when you're.....

.... THE BIRTHDAY GIRL?!"

Coyote blows cheerfully on a noisemaker. It's the most involved birthday prank the Court has ever seen

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

The 19th Person posted:

I wonder how/if humans being represented by an eye symbol and Jones's title "Wandering Eye" are connected.

She's one of Coyote's eyes that he dropped while juggling that decided to go off and be a blonde lady

such things happen

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I guess it is unusual for the Wandering Eye not to have seen something. Significant wordings...

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

ChibiSoma posted:

The last panel almost seems like something pre-forest Annie wouldn't do. Looking very Surma-y.

Spending a while outside of the place that reminds her of the hospital where her mom died has probably been good for the ol' emotional well-being

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

hairysammoth posted:

One question - Tom's joking here, right? He doesn't really believe that UK state schools have fruity "10 points from Griffindor" set-ups does he? I mean, a tiny handful of comps* and grammars* do, and most public** schools do, but the average state school sure as hell doesn't. I mean, I went to what is basically the real-life version of Hogwarts (but with aggravated buggery in place of magic), and even I know this poo poo.

Tom has said that the houses in Gunnerkrigg are named after the ones in the school he went to, I believe.

DontMockMySmock posted:

This page makes Robox seem like a sociopath. He's still awesome, though.

He can't help, he has no arms :(

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

CURSED
INSTRUMENTS

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Evil Sagan posted:

That makes way more sense to me, mainly because I can't really fathom how "pretending to be romantically interested in someone" is a kind of revenge plan that anyone would come up with.

Have you ever been a teenager or been around them

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, then I'm still confused why Jack's last comment seems to have elicited such an angry look from Annie.

Because he just owned the poo poo out of her instead of getting owned as was her plan

She kicked over his sandcastle but he yanked her pigtails in retaliation. Child emotions are a tough racket

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

the secret to this chapter is that she actually does like him

edit: This is really cool tbqh, almost any other comic would have had one of them somewhat awkwardly ask the other out, instead we get them kinda wobbling towards that at first and then mutually completely loving it up because they're kids and they don't know what they're doing

They might still do before this chapter's over though v:shobon:v

Dammit Who? fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 9, 2011

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I assume the next page will just be Annie spiraling over the horizon

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Bussamove posted:

I don't know, given the circumstances it really should be something you tell students at orientation.

Right after "don't go down into the gorge that has a vengeful ghost at the bottom" and "don't antagonize Zimmy."

That'd just encourage them. Keeping the fairies seperate is probably more effective.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

quote:

"Dammit, Carver! I don't wanna know about yer million boyfriends!"

Looks like ~*somebody's jealous*~

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Oh man, I bet this is a setup for another fakeout like this page, and on Wednesday Zimmy says "A HUGE-NOSED NERD" and struts out of the room cackling

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I was not correct

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Good choice, Jimmy-jims.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Seeing as Mary-sue-ism also implies that it's an author self-insert of some sort (or at least used to before it lost all meaning)...

I don't think it ever really meant anything (other than 'girl character I dislike', if that?). I read an essay about this awhile ago and I'm paraphrasing:

You're reading a story and there's this girl, right? Tragically orphaned, but her parents left her enough money to make her richer than God. Genius intellect who easily masters a dozen fields, Olympian physique, incredible good looks. Every guy she meets falls in love with her, but she pushes them away because she's consumed by angst. Everyone fears and respects her, and even her enemies are obsessed with her.

Whatta freakin' Mary Sue, right? Except, whoops, that's Batman.

Or there's this lady in the far future. Incredibly charismatic leader, devastatingly attractive to the opposite sex, famous throughout the galaxy as the captain of the finest spaceship in the fleet. It seems like every week she's saving a planet from tyranny and bedding all the cute alien boys while she keeps her cool behind a cocky grin.

Yet nobody calls Kirk a Mary Sue.

A shitload of popular characters fit the same wish-fulfillment mold, but rarely if ever get handed the dreaded 'Mary Sue' label. Basically if someone calls a character a 'Mary Sue' you should read it as 'I have difficulty precisely articulating what I dislike about this character'.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ursine Asylum posted:

Jo Jones and Jimmy Jims. :allears:

And on this page: Jo Jones, Jimmy Jims, and Donny Donlan.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Don't worry, I assure you Jones isn't upset about it.

Yeah, not having emotions didn't stop her from getting her smooch on with Jimmy Jims :heysexy:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

If there's

a version of Jones that mimics friendship from a desire to observe humanity and a set of ethics about how to treat humans, and
a version of Jones that believes she is doing that but in fact is "genuinely" making friends, and
a version of Jones that is genuinely making friends, and knows it, but chooses to claim inability to form emotional attachments for her own reasons,

and all three otherwise act the exact same way in all circumstances, is there a difference between them assuming that it is impossible for anyone else to know what they're thinking?

Which version of Jones are Annie or Eglamore best off assuming is the real one?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Smitface can subconsciously create order where there was none. The Headmaster is sending him to embed himself in the forest like the Tic-Toc bird Ysengrin buried. Because he is a jerk

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Bobby really did write the letter, and Paz is jumping on the grenade so Bobby doesn't get in trouble for violating Chapter 133 Section H! DOUBLE FAKEOUT

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Warmachine posted:

I recall that the Triestise had clues to the progression of the story hidden in them, so upon getting the Friday cliffhanger and seeing parallels to my own life, I decided to consult said Triestise to divine any direction the comic will go in.

:negative:

That sigil resembles the anti-eye sigils used to bind Reynardine for a reason- she'd been artificially restricting her feelings. Remember that when the eye sigils appear in the story, it's because they're very shortly going to be broken!

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

"Gunnerkrigg" is actually one of those weird UK place names, it's pronounced "Gehrig" and this is all a complete coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Guys? Mort is a ghost.