Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

fritz posted:

Guy gets his own thread, suddenly it's "Mr. Siddel".

Yeah, come on guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

AfroSpatula posted:

Pedantic spoiler warning (art rear end in a top hat irl) The bottom of the frame below Parley is cut off about 1cm above the bottom of Annie's frame. Parley's leg should extend to the bottom to retain continuity.

Nah, it's supposed to be like that. I take care to make sure what is and isn't passing outside of the page frame on these types of pages.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I'm really thinking about stopping/getting rid of my Formspring. It really shouldn't be required reading for my comic.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Who's got time for hilarity when I have to answer whether or not Annie's hair colour is significant to the plot four thousand times?

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Surma's mom died in the same way Surma died, but it's really not important to the plot, and not worth fixating on.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

He's a blue tit!

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Zorak posted:

Forests involve a lot of tree-cover. Tree cover kind of prevents tanning.

Also the Donlans spent three weeks in Scotland visiting family, and the other three weeks in France.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I was not very pleased with this chapter. Back when I was writing it, it just seemed off, even though it contained events that are important to the rest of the comic. Towards the end I was just wanting to get it finished and ended up making it shorter than it was originally planned. Judging by reader reaction, people did not find it too interesting, as I guessed.

I love writing about the robots, and Kat discovering about them, but it doesn't provide visually interesting imagery for the reader.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

While I always try to improve my art, I also really want to improve my writing. It's my standard excuse, but I only have a limited time to work on the comic, and I wish I could spend a lot longer on all aspects of it. As long as the comic remains nothing more than a side hobby, I'm always going to be aware that it just isn't as good as it could be.

Anyone looking for a professional story edited to perfection will not be finding it here, I'm sorry to say.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Well I didn't go to every school in the UK, but I did go to three different ones and they all worked the same. And everyone I've talked to had a similar structure in the shools they went to. I'd be interested in knowing which kinds of schools didn't organise their students into different groups.

I did find this Wikipedia article and it says:

"The house system is a traditional feature of British schools, and schools in ex-British colonies. Historically it was associated with established public schools, where a 'house' refers to a boarding house or dormitory of a boarding school. In the case of a day school, however, the word 'house' refers only to a grouping of pupils, rather than to a particular building. The house system has been common in the state sector for many years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_system

I'm not sure how it could have been seen as a gag or in-joke, but I changed the wording from "all" to "many", and hopefully this is less offensive.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

It's a great plush, and by all means share the pattern you made, but I would prefer if you did not sell them.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

UnoriginalMind posted:

I've got some news for you...

I hope that news is that it's Chang'e, and not the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh good, generic teen romance spotted. Interest shooting through the floor.

Jack is the least interesting male in anything since Sailor Moon. :v:

Hey man, you missed a few words out of your post. Here, I'll post the comments you Tweeted at me:

Chibisoma posted:

Well, Gunnerkrigg Court's decided to sink ships and hook Annie up with Jack, it seems. Interest completely hit rock bottom. Thanks, Tom!
Oh good, generic straight romance #2,405,120. Yawn. No Kat/Annie End, no reading. Jack's the least interesting male since Chiba Mamoru.
And to Tom: gently caress you for not taking a god drat chance, you cowardly loving bitch. "Nope. Everyone has to be straight!" gently caress you.
Remember the lesson GCC teaches us: Be straight, otherwise your peers won't like you. #GunnerkriggCourt #fuckingasshole #badendconfirmed
Now I definitely need to get to work on writing a guide because otherwise the urge to strange that cowardly little prick won't go away.
Yeah, can't do it. Hey @gunnerkrigg - good job sinking ships and ruining the comic, you weak god drat writer.
@gunnerkrigg Can't have the main characters be bi/gay, right? That's for the two designated 'weirdo' characters, huh? gently caress you, you prick.
@gunnerkrigg No, really, it's nice of you to have a 'please stop reading now' arc. Real considerate of you.
@gunnerkrigg - proving that making a bi/gay character the lead isn't worth the trouble. You're really breakin' down barriers there, Tom.
Hey kids: If you're gay, you should be off where you can't be seen. You must be straight. Remember the lessons that @gunnerkrigg taught us.
loving makes me sick. Great, one more generic straight romance with a bland male lead. Good job @gunnerkrigg you loving coward.
Need to go watch @GeorgeTakei say/do things to calm down. Stupid anti-gay bullshit ruining my morning. Off to Youtube I go...

And here's part of the stuff you said on my forum:

Chibisoma posted:

Really. I'm going to start magically liking Jack and the fact that Tom's ensured we won't get anything resembling a Kat/Annie end?

Great, one more boring-rear end straight romance. Tons of potential lost and for what? Because Tom didn't feel like taking any chances. That's for the two designated 'weird' kids in the comic, huh? Can't have the main characters interested in each other, despite all the little hints (and sometimes not so little ones) dropped all over the place. Must make them straight, boring, and ensure they wind up with the worst characters in the comic.

Yeah, tell me what there is to look forward to with this couple, hoss. You seem to be all for it. Jack's the most boring lead in any romance since Chiba Mamoru from Sailormoon. ::) There's not a single interesting (or redeeming) thing about him and yet it's looking increasingly like Annie's going to end up with him.

Because straight people, that's why. God forbid GCC take a chance with anything. Nope, must conform to the status quo and leave that gay poo poo to the weirdo characters, right?

Yeah, no. gently caress you and gently caress Tom. I guess it's nice he made a 'please stop reading my webcomic, it's becoming like any other teen romance strip' arc though. Real considerate-like. Always good to see straightforward, boring fuckin' romance blooming. And at the end, they'll have a kid, Annie'll die, and Kat'll be there to talk about the kid's adventures in the school or some other stereotypically generic thing. Because the kids must be like the parents, always and forever.

Thanks for your interest!

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, first panel has Jack with his left hand on Annie's shoulder, second one has him with his right hand on her shoulder. I hate to be the guy that keeps nitpicking art things, I swear I don't do it often.
In the first panel he's put his left hand on her shoulder to turn her around, and in the second panel, his left hand has moved down to her waist as Annie's right hand moves to his shoulder (as seen in panel 3), and his right hand is on her left shoulder to continue turning her.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Cyphoderus posted:

Bud's etheric form is a lobster with a lot fewer legs than a lobster.

Fun fact: Tom absolutely doesn't care about the biological accuracy of his creatures' body plan. And that's fine.

How many legs do you think a lobster has?

Bud isn't a lobster though.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

The ten legs a lobster has include the two large front claws, which Bud also has. Add to that the two swimming legs (which are not the same as a lobster's swimmerets), and Bud has 12 legs. I based Bud's species more on eurypterids and merostomata than crustaceans (though he clearly has a crab face, because those are cuter).

Lindsey, though, she has a crap ton of legs, but we'll never really see her whole body. She's meant to be kind of scary looking, so her design was less conservative than Bud's.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Once you get to sixth form in a lot of UK schools (and the one I went to) you don't wear a uniform anymore.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Well the regional fairies lose their shoulder dots when they get human bodies anyway, so Red and Blue don't have any either. They have some left over traits, like some markings (as Blue has on her face) and sometimes hair colour, but not their shoulder dots.

The purple haired girl wasn't a fairy, but sometimes the fully human kids get inspired to dye their hair since it's not uncommon to see other students with weird hair colours.

Totally not required comic information, by the way. If I get the chance to do my compilation of short stories it'd be full of this kind of info though.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Yeah me too. I can only work on the comic at the weekends though, and I don't make money from it.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I love watching other people's Kickstarters get funded, but it's not something I could do. For a start, I don't think you can set one up if you don't live in the US. Also I don't have a concrete project, and they don't allow "fund my life" type things.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Buying my books from Topatoco or from me directly at a UK con (sales at the US cons were kept by the publisher) are basically the only way I get money from them.

I don't want to go in to specific numbers because, frankly, it's embarassing. I'll say that my last few quarterly royalty reports have been in negative figures, though. That's just how publishing works, apparently.

I try to avoid talking about it because I look like a complete and utter idiot. When I was a kid I dreamed of getting something published, but now it's just something to be ashamed of.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Thanks, guys. Really.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I've been reading this thing way longer than any of you clowns.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I imagine I'll have some stuff left over after Thought Bubble is finished, so I'm hoping to put any canvases and such on ebay. I could even make more specifically to sell on line if people are interested.

If I could ever get the time I'd love to offer ink wash and watercolour commissions along with the old $20 custom drawing also.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

1stGear posted:

And since the customary "Read from a random page" thing always results in something nifty: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=592

I love subtle foreshadowing. :allears:

Dammit, I clicked that and started reading the rest of it.
Man, I wish I could redraw the whole thing.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

It's great to see all these avatars from my comic! Thanks guys!

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Soylentbits posted:

Uh Red doesn't look so good. Are we sure names are good for them?

Edit: Also Tea-San you should totally rip off Order of the Stick and do a giant kickstarter preorder drive.

While I'd love to use Kickstarter for some project ideas I have in mind, I am not American, so I am not able to use their service! They require a US bank account, state ID and major US credit card, amongst other things.

However, I've had word that the Vol 2 reprint is basically finished. I'll be sure to let people know when I have more conrete news.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Well it's not really a beard, I just hadn't shaved

Edit: Huh! My avatar has changed. I've had the same one since I joined SA, I think!

Tea-san fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 4, 2012

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Madrox posted:

Tom, just curious, how time consuming would you say completing the art for an average page in the ether is vs. a page taking place in the "normal" world? I would think the ether pages would take a good bit more time, but boy are they gorgeous.

Ether pages do take longer than normal, yeah, but the trade of is that I'm able to totally cop out on the backgrounds! I coloured these slightly different to other pages set in the ether too, so they didn;t take much longer. Also, they are very fun to do.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I started reading it to my mother on weekends

Man, that's great! I'm really happy to hear that she likes it. Thanks for letting me know!

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

It's been over two years since she last saw or heard from her dad, yes. It's been less than that since the end of Chapter 14 though.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

The story is set in the current day! Jones has a keypad phone because she is unable to use capacitive touchscreens.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

If you do, don't start randomly or from the beginning. Achewood takes a while to click. Start with the Great Outdoor Fight.

No way, no way! The Party is the latest you want to start! You'd be missing so much if you started at the GOF.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Coyote is an interesting one, but if you would like to hear what annie sounds like, take a look at this:

http://youtu.be/w5bm6IBcKjI

My super cool friend My2k is working on it. The audio is a pitch shifted clip from an interview with Kate Rusby, who I always imagined sounded like Surma and Annie. Annie less so, since she lived away from most people since she was born, but it's difficult to explain that her accent isn't just the generic "english" accent people think of. It's more of a Barnsley accent.

Edit: Clearly, it's a younger Annie!

Tea-san fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 1, 2012

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Before Surma died, Annie was a fairly normal little girl living in strange circumstances with a seemingly distant father. It wasn't until just before she came to Gunnerkrigg when she shut herself down.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Ironic Twist posted:

(I always read them without any accents because the dialogue didn't sound particularly British, but that's more me projecting and less of a need to have every line read like COR BLIMEY I TOOK THE TUBE TO THE CHIP SHOP AND THEN BACK TO ME FLAT FOR A CUPPA, BOXBOT IS A BLOODY WANKER)

Yeah, I really wanted to avoid that.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Thanks for letting me know. It was brought to my attention yesterday so I mailed the guy and he replied pretty quick saying that he took my comic off the app. He was fine about it and all.

I'm getting a ton of mail about it today though, since it was mentioned on Questionable Content! If only there was some way the guy who wrote that original Tumblr post could update the list of comics somehow.

It's pretty neat having readers and people keeping an eye out for this sort of thing though.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Hey guys. Man this was a tough decision. I should have done it a long time ago, really. I'm hoping it all works out. I'll let people know what I'm planning on my site on Monday.

However, yes, books bought from Topatoco are basically the only way I see profit from them. I'm doing this on the assumption that I don't get money from books though, and I hope I can still manage it. Still trying to get copies of Vol 2 pushed through, and I can tell the publisher is a little reluctant to send books to Topatoco since they make less money on them too.

That said, please don't feel you HAVE to get them from Topatoco! Wanting to buy my books at all is just great, and you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere; bookstores, Amazon, other places too, and all books sold let the companies know that people want to buy them, which might even help me in the long run.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

This is it. I hope this first week goes well.

Oh, Zim and Gams are back in the next chapter.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I realise all the wallpapers have probably been posted to 4chan already, but I'm not really losing any money there. If people aren't willing to spend literally 1c on the thing (there is no lower limit on the donation) then I wasn't going to get their support anyway. I'll probably make older wallpapers free as I do more anyway.

I thought about having a drive type thing, and I might do that for extra comics in the future. The main difference is that it sets an upper limit for earnings instead of the potential to earn a smaller amount over a longer time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Shugojin posted:

I did, it says reference:wallpapers on the donation stuff but nothing wallpapery happened.

Sorry about that! I replied to your PM