Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
I reread the archives in one go and it was a completely different experience. There's a lot of internal callbacks in the comic that I don't notice the first time around because I can't remember something I read months ago, like this:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=765
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=6

Dodgeball posted:

Welp, nevermind. Helps if I read, you know, the next 5 pages...

I will say that it was a pretty elaborate arrow that killed Mr. Green, when I think any arrow would have sufficed to just kill him.

The arrow is the device that makes it impossible for people to cross the river. I think it was mentioned somewhere that the court did that. This series of events is probably how it happened.

Edit: I have a question. Who is the girl with the white hair who sometimes shows up in end of chapter art?

chiyosdad fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"

Fecha posted:

Hah, I knew there was some reason I had been doubting Jeanne's violent tendencies.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=360
Particularly I'm looking at the wording on panel 3.

She's saying "when I thought she had cut me" because she doesn't know she's been cut yet. Later in the ether Coyote points out the cut and she was like, wait, what?

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
I was wikipedia hopping and came across this tidbit, which reminded me of this comic. Sorry if this has been posted before:

quote:

According to Lévi-Strauss, "mythical thought always progresses from the awareness of oppositions toward their resolution".[20] In other words, myths consist of:

1. elements that oppose or contradict each other and
2. other elements that "mediate", or resolve, those oppositions.

For example, Lévi-Strauss thinks the trickster of many Native American mythologies acts as a "mediator". Lévi-Strauss's argument hinges on two facts about the Native American trickster:

1. the trickster has a contradictory and unpredictable personality;
2. the trickster is almost always a raven or a coyote.

Lévi-Strauss argues that the raven and coyote "mediate" the opposition between life and death. The relationship between agriculture and hunting is analogous to the opposition between life and death: agriculture is solely concerned with producing life (at least up until harvest time); hunting is concerned with producing death. Furthermore, the relationship between herbivores and beasts of prey is analogous to the relationship between agriculture and hunting: like agriculture, herbivores are concerned with plants; like hunting, beasts of prey are concerned with catching meat. Lévi-Strauss points out that the raven and coyote eat carrion and are therefore halfway between herbivores and beasts of prey: like beasts of prey, they eat meat; like herbivores, they don't catch their food. Thus, he argues, "we have a mediating structure of the following type":[20]
Levi-strauss1.jpg

By uniting herbivore traits with traits of beasts of prey, the raven and coyote somewhat reconcile herbivores and beasts of prey: in other words, they mediate the opposition between herbivores and beasts of prey. As we have seen, this opposition ultimately is analogous to the opposition between life and death. Therefore, the raven and coyote ultimately mediate the opposition between life and death. This, Lévi-Strauss believes, explains why the coyote and raven have a contradictory personality when they appear as the mythical trickster:

The trickster is a mediator. Since his mediating function occupies a position halfway between two polar terms, he must retain something of that duality—namely an ambiguous and equivocal character.[21]

Because the raven and coyote reconcile profoundly opposed concepts (i.e., life and death), their own mythical personalities must reflect this duality or contradiction: in other words, they must have a contradictory, "tricky" personality.

We have the tic-toc god on the court side, which is pretty raven-like.