Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I have the horrible feeling they are going to escape but parley will be horribly disfigured or something else really bad.
I have the horrible feeling that Parley may not escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I see a lot of potential for future use with this panel :v:
It's like the Gunnerkrigg version of this guy:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wong Dongson posted:

Nah, Jones is cool. Remember her antics with the flowers and the chocolate. And her watching movies with Doctor Disaster. She's good people.
I'm not so sure Jones is "good". Or even "people".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, Reynard wins the "who can be a bigger rear end in a top hat" contest.

Can't wait to see Wednesday's comic.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

I think it's being implied, especially from when Reynardine first met Annie and knew that Surma was dead, that this is some sort of hereditary thing, and Surma did the same thing to her mother (and so on).
Yeah, that's the sense I'm getting, too. Which raises all sorts of questions...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rei_ posted:

I'm guessing it has something to do with this thing, and someone having to be a human vessel for it. I dunno, kind of a hunch. Sounds less retarded than phoenixes, which uh, you people sort of pulled out of nowhere.
That's... surprisingly plausible, actually. Perhaps the "seed bismuth" wasn't a something, but a someone.

(And I'm sure someone has already brought up the fact that bismuth and antimony are both names of elements.)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jones is Annie's biological father.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Benagain posted:

Hey, 13 year old girl. Your great-great-great-great grandma was a fire elemental! Cool huh? Oh also you're directly responsible for your mother's death. Not saying it's your fault or anything! Just, y'know, wanted you to know.

I'm guessing they were holding off until she was 18 or something. That's not something you tell a child, or even a teenager.
It'd make for one hell of a sex-ed lesson.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

idonotlikepeas posted:

Makes me think of something from this post in the GC forum fanart thread:

Wow, there's some pretty good fanart in that thread.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, maybe "villain" is a strong word, but every story needs antagonists, and I'd say Coyote is acting like one of them right now!
Oh, I'd say "if you tell them about the tooth, I will cut off your hand" puts him pretty firmly in "villain" territory.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dodgeball posted:

He'd be a villain if he didn't tell her about the band.
No, that would make him an idiot. If he doesn't tell her about the band, then how would she know not to tell anybody about the tooth?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The 19th Person posted:

SHOCKING THIRD ACT TWIST!

The faeries were crazy and also horrible liars?! How super catastrophic! :ohdear:
But are they horrible liars, or are they horrible liars? I'm super confused!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pram posted:

So are Torus and Ogee the same fairy, this comic is way too confusing!!
No, they are totally different and not the same.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Revolver Bunker posted:

Aaawwwwww..... :3: Now all that's left is to see what Kat's been up to.
Somehow, I suspect that reunion may not be as heartwarming.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The crab is Keyser Soze.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Huh, the Gunnerkrigg thread just gained 22 posts in a single hour. I'll just click on it and see what - " :stare:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

DekeThornton posted:

Well, Tom answered that on Formspring.

I like that Annie has this petty and nasty side that comes out at times. Flaws like that makes her feel much more real and what Jack did to her and Reynadine was pretty damned lovely, so I can understand why she would hold a grudge, even if she knows it's irrational due to it not really being his fault and all.
I can buy Annie holding a grudge, but deciding to get revenge on Jack by leading him on... I dunno, it just feels a bit "off" to me.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Love the art in today's strip.

Also, who's Llanwellyn? The headmaster?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tupperwarez posted:

:geno: By expending all my time and effort to find a solution to my daughter's situation, I am already demonstrating my love for her. Any further declarations would be redundant and a waste of time, of which we have precious little. :geno:

Anthony being somewhere on the autism spectrum might explain a few things.
Maybe he's part ice elemental.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

I'm not sure if I suspect Jones or the Court.
Suspect everybody. :tinfoil:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Frankly, I think that Gunnerkrigg is one of the best-paced comics on the web. It moves faster than most five-day-a-week comics I know.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
And then at the end, we find out that this is all happening in the imagination of an autistic child.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Talorat posted:

This really seems like the obvious solution.
So obvious, it makes me wonder why Annie's mother/grandmother/etc never thought of it...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I agree that the art is great, but... I dunno, the last couple of pages didn't really resonate with me very much. It all felt a little too vague and abstract.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Broniki posted:

Thunt is a lot like Rob Liefeld in that he's a nice guy, he just makes unbelievably lovely poo poo. But I don't know, I find it hard to begrudge people who manage to make a living from their comics.
Yeah, I don't begrudge Thunt for being able to make a living off of his comic, either. I do, however, think it was pretty tacky for him to offer incentives to his readers to vote for him, when none of the other top comics were doing so.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

inthesto posted:

Something about today's update made me warm inside.

Good work, Tom.
Yeah, I really liked today's comic, too. It's a nice little character moment.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

So hypnotic...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheNork posted:

So about a week ago I decided to do a little mini project to flex my drawing muscles a bit. I settled on Gunnerkrigg Court, because I love the comic, and I figured I could spread the word a bit. Here are the results:
Wow, fantastic job on all of those.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Should she be more like Bill Clinton, or more like Hilary Clinton. The question all girls have to ask themselves at some point.
Of course! Gunnerkrigg Court is actually an allegory for American politics in the 1990s! It all fits together!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tom should totally replace the comics in his archive with these comics, just to see the fan reaction.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cthulhuchan posted:

Why lie, when the truth is so much more fun?
What if lying is more fun?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

FronzelNeekburm posted:

In all honesty, that's the impression I've had of Annie in general for this third year. In the first year, she was an unflappable little girl in a spooky, goofy, mysterious old school. In the second year, she had to open up and show some emotion.

But ever since she flipped out on the bridge, we've been in the dark about Annie's real feelings. She was still cheating, and we didn't know. She pulled that whole stunt with Jack. First she was cold, then she was a forest wild child, then she had bones growing out of her heart.

Despite having followed Annie for the entire story, I feel like we know less about her now than any time in the past.
Yeah, there's definitely been a noticeable shift in perspective between years two and three. We used to see more of Annie's PoV and inner thoughts; now, it feels more like we're on the outside, looking in.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Well, hey, it could just turn out to be more of Jones kicking mad rear end rather than anything expositionary.
I would be perfectly okay with that.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

I think that "what's left of them" simply means that people in the afterlives either end up wearing down or transcending into forms that are no longer recognizable as human souls and are then absorbed back into the aether. A little bit of cosmic horror for some there, I reckon.
Yeah, that concept kind of bugs me a bit. So the afterlife really isn't much of an afterlife at all, then? Does this mean that, say, Annie's mother has already been absorbed into the ether?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jeff Goldblum IRL posted:

Avatar fairy, you are the second greatest fairy of them all.
Haha, that's a great title there.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

I thought I remembered somebody once coming into this thread and explaining that in a myth Coyote once "lost an eye" that went wandering off into the sky or something. That would possibly fit Jones, especially with the "stolen name" angle.
I think Tom has explicitly said that the "Wandering Eye" nickname isn't based on any particular myth.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nipponophile posted:

For any new readers wondering just what this is all about. STOP WONDERING. Your life is better off not knowing, just trust me on this one.
I'm a long-time reader, and I'm still wondering what this is all about. :confused:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I remember Chibisoma; I had just forgotten the actual wording of his post. Man, you guys have way better memories than I do.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 2, 2012

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's a question: if Jones has perfect recall, why does she keep a photo album?