Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
Boxbot is the Weighted Companion Cube of Gunnerkrigg Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

This is probably the last chapter of the third book, no? The first book finished with the end of the first school year, so it would make sense for the third to coincide with the end of another. Plus if it ends now it'd be around the same number of pages as the first two.

And I kind of hope that the next chapter starts with the beginning of the new semester rather than detailing Annie's summer. I know I'm in a really tiny minority but I don't really care for Coyote's character, and I'd rather see whatever effect he has on Annie come to fruition upon her return to the Court, rather than see him do anything directly. But obviously I wouldn't be disappointed either way. I just really want another book for my collection.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Ka0 posted:

But that didn't kill her. She turned into a bitter cyborg with no hair and a prosthetic eye.

And a symbolic butt?

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Great seeing Basil again, didn't think he'd ever make a return appearance. "Schoolyard Myths" is probably the only chapter of the comic so far which has had pretty much no impact on the overall plot (aside from establishing Annie and Kat's friendship... guess that's pretty important), and I don't think Basil's been mentioned since. Red's a bit of a surprise, too, but she's at least had an entire character arc, so.

I kind of hope the current story moves along pretty soon, though, the last three or four pages have pretty much been rehashing the same idea :\

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

There have been story arcs like this before where the children sneak out but it was never for contrived relationship drama.

That's pretty much exactly what happened in "A Handful of Dirt", though, isn't it? Not relationship drama per se, but drama nonetheless.

Either way, not every chapter needs to progress the overarching plot; there is time for characterization, which this chapter seems to be. Kat and Annie's classmates may not be primary characters but they do factor into the plot from time to time, so there's no reason they shouldn't get their time in the spotlight for once, especially following a series of pretty serious and plot-heavy chapters.

Not to mention that this chapter's ultimate purpose seems to be establishing some sort of relationship between Annie and Jack, which I'm sure will become significant in the future, and more importantly the chapter isn't even over with yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Tom used to have a link button for the comic in his signature here, that's where I found it. I started reading near the end of the third chapter... which would have been just over six years ago, wow. I remember when it only updated twice a week!

Staggy posted:

Huh. In the page after that, why does Coyote refer to Annie as "abalone"? Is there a meaning I'm not getting, or does he just see her as a Sea Snail?

Because "Antimony" sounds like "abalone". I don't think there's any deeper meaning there.