Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Maybe she could name it the Journeying Out 'N Extracting Stuff robot!

This needs more love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm confused. The word "hear" doesn't appear on that page at all?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

JT Jag posted:

This is stupid.

This is the best.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'd take the under if 4.5 is the bar. If it doesn't make sense by the end of next week (3 more updates) then I fully expect it to start making sense at 4.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Welp, I just lost that bet.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That second panel of Jones and Anonymously Hunky Guy (Jimmy Jims?) is really awesome. :swoon:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh. I guess you learn something new everyday: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_Factories_in_the_United_Kingdom

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Freudian posted:

Yeah - Jeanne has been a fiery, passionate woman in every scene we've seen of her. Jones... I don't even need to complete this sentence.

I dunno, it makes sense to me more and more now we know for concrete that Jones is some sort of static being. The arrow that ripped Jeanne's emotions from her, and tied it to the Annan waters, and now her emotionless body wanders about-- a wandering eye.

However, that theory doesn't hold a whole lot of water since you'd think that Jones would, in that situation, be more tied to the Court through the years. And that she does have some sort of feelings for Jimmy Jims. So, either the situation is a little more complex than that, or they are just two similar-looking women.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

She's a pretty lady. Dudes are shallow.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

With this last page, to me, it seems like Antimony really isn't going to get the Medium position. I guess it really depends on if this is going to be a happy chapter or a sad one― and while we did have some silliness with the robots, I still get this ominous feeling that things are still super serious and that they will not be going well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

runwiled posted:

I'd argue that the Court wouldn't want her as a medium as she appears to be way too pally with the Forest-Dwellers. The Court wants someone who'll represent their interests and Annie has never demonstrated any kind of loyalty to them. In fact, we know as readers that she's planning to undermine the Court's defenses by defeating/liberating Jeanne.

You don't need to argue, since that's my position as well! And she is flippant about Court-ordered punishments (detention) and this latest escapade with Ysengrin has shown that she's all too willing to put herself in harm's way.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

Also I just noticed that Ysengrin has his missing ear just sort of floating there detached from his head. Still wondering what the deal is with that whole thing.

Well, he's missing a part of his forehead, too. Likely symbolizing his memories that Coyote stole, so I'm going to continue believing his ear got snipped off due to Coyote binding shenanigans.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I must be the only person on Earth who had more than my fill of City Face and "WACKY ZANY PIGEON TALK! :iamafag:" after the first go-'round. :(

Nah, I agree with you. There doesn't seem to be a lot of use in posting "I'm just not into this stuff. :geno:" But it's not hurting anything so whatever. I mean, it's not like two weeks of City Face is going to stop me from reading the comic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Man, this is the Boxbot Appreciation Station or Grinches Anonymous? It's two weeks of filler about a naïve pigeon. It doesn't have any ambition to be more than that. It's cute, clever, and candid. And it's better than the site just not updating for a fortnight.

Annoying replies like this are another reason. Sorry that people don't enjoy the same things as you Cat Mattress, but no one is attacking City Face for being some horrible, ugly abomination that the site would be better off without. It's fine for what it is and it's good that people do find it an enjoyable draw, but there are possibilities other than "City Face" and "Not Updating."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Begemot posted:

I'm hoping we get one from Zimmy. So we can see the TRUE FORM of Cityface!

A sandwich!?!?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This would be great if it had a transparent background instead, and flipped back its original way. Would make for a rad avatar.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Parts Kit posted:

Yeah it would. I am having the damndest error though. Looks fine in 'save for web' until it's saved and then I get this.

Reopen in photoshop and it's all goobered up.

looks like you're missing a "redraw background" option. Not sure where to find that in photoshop.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tunicate posted:

I dunno, something about this update is making me feel crabby.

Stop being so shellfish.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tea-san posted:

I taped a sharpie to the end of a broom handle for this one!

That's pretty awesome. I do admit that I had trouble seeing City Face until I looked at the insert photo closer.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really appreciate how Tom feels free to have Annie play with her hairstyle. In particular I think this one looks really good on her.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hetty owns! Can someone make a rad avatar of Hetty at the bottom there for me? It would be nice to have her sighing at every post I make.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pyradox posted:

How's this?

That's great-- thanks!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kikas posted:

Yeah she's pretty scary looking there. :stare: I wish we knew more about her, but I don't think it would make her less frightening.
Like what the hell are those orange blips around her head? Cheeto dust?

Those are her sparkles! :sparkles:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Sparkles fueled by malice. Don't touch, they are fabulously lethal.

This is my face reading your post.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kantesu posted:

That might be a Gradius reference, referring to her little floating sparkly bits. Though I suppose that would be capitalized. Still, it's a pretty funny idea for what those are. Or terrifying, considering Hetty's personality.

Haha. This is now my favorite theory about the comic. Hetty's :sparkles: are Gradius Options! Maybe a gift from Coyote!? Now he can only use a Force from R-Type! I think we cracked the code, peoples. Open your eyes!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Spoilers for newbies checking this thread.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Trying to find the page where Annie straight up asks Renard if Jones is a robot, I came upon this gem I had forgotten about : The best page?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dodgeball posted:

Heathens. All of you.

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=30
Panel 4.

Ah, dangit. I was sure that was going to be the panel of Annie explaining how she was going to construct a robot to convey Shadow2 across the bridge before I clicked.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

GodFish posted:

The fact that all of you aren't posting this page is a crime. A crime.
Though clicking here would take you to an acceptable second option.

That first one leads eventually to the scene later where Tom comments "Thank you Vegeta" which had me rolling when I first read it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

This is my favourite page.

I've always liked boxbot :colbert:

The page after that is pretty great, and a couple pages past leads to this page which is full of lovely panels. It's pretty great that Gunnerkrigg has so many amazing pages for all sorts of different reasons.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ah, I forgot about this wonderful thing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What makes Hetty interesting to me is that we're getting a peek at parts of the court we haven't seen yet. This is giving us a view into the wider court and some of the strangeness out there and some (one?) of the people there. Instead of throwaway references like the Cursed Teapot, this is us getting an expanded look at the Gunnerkrigg universe.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ugh! Adam is the worst!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Screw you hater! Hetty status: still the best. Adam can eat poo poo.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

you guys crack me up

Gorgeous art all around.

This is really great and needs some love.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Poor Hetty. :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Is the avatar fairy one person? A conspiracy? Is lowtax teaming up with Tea-San to promote GC!?

Hetty/Boxbot teamup!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hetty memorial avatar. :<

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I kinda wish we got a glimpse of Hetty before this chapter of her untimely demise. I feel like now she was dropped in just to give Renard some context, but instead of using an element the audience was familiar with we got a new element. While Hetty does help to serve in fleshing out the world and give us another perspective on Renard, she's a cardboard cut-out of a real character. Increasingly shown as irreconcilably evil only to give justification to Renard's murder in this chapter.

People asking "Why was Renard okay with Hetty before this?" is a very valid question. In the beginning of the chapter it is shown that this is not the first time the two of hung out, and that Hetty often speaks of evil, loves it in fact, but her situation was never clear to Renard before this? Again, we have no prior context, and Hetty doesn't strike us as particularly sly or hiding of her activities, so are to to think that Renard was acting an idiot before hand? Prior context would help us understand the situation better and again, and serve to make Hetty seem more unlike an amateur writer's attempt at giving Renard some more depth and backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, I was kind of holding back to see what sort of developments would come out of what was going on. Now, the chapter isn't over yet and there could be some surprise(s) awaiting, but as a day to day reader, this is the point where I feel really disappointed in this chapter.