Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

McGravin posted:

Tea-san is a fantastic writer and artist, but the absolute worst at talking about his comic. Not that I would want him to stop, because I love learning more about the world he has crafted, but he's just so goddamn :smith: about it.
I think this is true of a lot of creative people. I listen to/read a lot of interviews with comic creators, and it blows my mind to hear guys like Phil Hester or Bryan Lee O'Malley talk about how they suck, despite massive success that says otherwise.

I'm not sure it's entirely a bad thing, because the second you buy into your own hype, is the second you stop actively working to be better. I'd rather see a creator exhibit too much humility than too much ego. That said, if you have too little faith in your work, and genuinely believe it's not good, then that neurosis can cripple your ability to produce material.

Given that Gunnerkrigg updates like clockwork, and that it shows no sign of ending, I imagine Tea-san's having plenty of fun doing it, and knows its popularity is a sign of success, on some level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU