Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spookyelectric posted:

To be fair, Toku was totally carried by his traveling companions. They did all the samurai stuff while he essentially just watched. I don't think he was ever portrayed as an especially good warrior. I just think he was really lucky and everyone just assumed the reason he became a ronin was because he sucked. It was okay that he sucked. They liked him for different reasons.

Of course, becoming popular with players then means that you have to be a badass in fictions, so...

He killed an oni at some point, so he has to have been fairly competent.

But 'I roll 3k1 for sincerity' isn't going to get you far when you tell people 'I am a samurai'.

I guess that's my biggest pet peeve in games in general. The rules should be focused on letting you play people who are interesting enough to get stories written about them, not boring nameless random mook #44.

As for honor, maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't actually seen anything in the game that says committing a crime is dishonorable... being an accomplice certainly is, but given the very surface-detail-oriented perception of rokugani honor and criminal prosecution, it's very hard for me to tell whether or not it's dishonorable to be a criminal, or just dishonorable to be caught.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

As tempting as it was to bold everything, I only bolded the exceptionally problematic parts because those are what make that thing downright unplayable, unless you metagame like loving crazy (and even then it's a stretch). It is fantastically annoying to have the main plot be fundamentally non-functional and then to include an "adventure" that ends up with pretty much everyone you might develop ties with die is just the bile cherry on the poo poo sundae.

I'll offer no loving defense of Opium Wars, as it's a loving bad adventure even if it has one or two redeeming elements. But the faction system in the game, the presence of of the divided and politicking Opium Cartels, and the secret three way war between them, Fade, and Unicorn clan was actually the main draw and meat of the book. It has a lot of interesting NPCs, most of whom are not overpowered, whom have a variety of interesting hooks and agendas that PCs or GMs can take advantage of or dig into. It's littered with interesting adventure seeds and springboards for GMS. The mystery of who killed the previous Emerald Magistrate doesn't really matter and is just an excuse akin to "You all meet in a tavern".

City of Lies was a great box set, it just has serious flaws from both it's age and bad design decisions. It's one of the better products of the L5R line.

Tunicate posted:

or just dishonorable to be caught.
Don't sweat it, even the writers are divided on whether Honor measures an actual morality or just how people perceive you/your reputation for conforming to Rokugani social norms.

It's funny because honor is an important system in the game and (much like the rest of mechanics) it's both wonky and bloated but also vague and sometimes arbitrary.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 10, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Like, the problem is still that the game tells you one thing and the mechanics something else. The in-game fluff tells you about Toku, the ronin who became the Fortune of Virtue after fighting valiantly alongside who would become the Emperor after stealing a dead samurai's weapons and armor, and that's goddamn badass. The actual mechanics tell you "gently caress you, no you aren't allowed to do that, and you lose honor for even trying." Yes, that very blatantly IS the game lying to you. Maybe the game was trying to be all gritty and 90's, but a) that's not what the fluff tells you, and b) it ain't the loving 90's. If L5R is built around being the nameless mooks who watch the actual cool NPCs do rad stuff, then burn the game, it's pointless.

I don't think stating "everything has a point" is exactly reaching. The Suzume don't have to beat Crane at iaijutsu or Lion at war, but the clan based around working alongside the peasants has no bonuses at all to interacting with the peasantry, and the clan based around giving long rambling stories never makes doing that worthwhile, and the clan based around suffering poverty and hardship and coming out harder and more honorable has nothing that supports that whatsoever. The Suzume bushi doesn't fit the clan stereotype. Not that it's the only school with issues; the Ikoma Bard still does close to actually nothing with most of their mechanics, and we've already mentioned the issues the Hare have with their alt. This is a classic problem in the hobby in general - the mechanics don't fit the fluff, which creates the dissonance. If I make a Suzume, I'm making someone who has worked hand in hand with the peasants, who has had to actually work with his hands, who has likely spent at least one entire season hungry, who was raised to tell these big long rambling stories that manage to both annoy yet still convince people, and who's patience was enough to literally bring parts of the Spider Clan back into redemption. If the actual bushi reflects none of that, then what's the point of that bushi?

The shugenja thing is funny because I feel like most of the actual schools are just fine. Isawa is the best all-rounder do anything, but each other shugenja school has something special the Isawa can't do. The issue with shugenja is more that the scholarly pacifist priests end up being stock cliche fantasy wizards, which isn't limited to school at all, and more to the overall shugenja design (and it's something I don't see changing ever).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The thing is, 3rd edition worked to try and create more equity with minor clan and ronin schools. Whether or not it achieved it is a matter of opinion, and it certainly wasn't balanced by any such measure, but for whatever reason 4th edition backpedaled on that notion. It's not like the book actually comes out and says minor clan techniques are worse or are intended to be worse that I can tell. Though it's obvious after looking the mechanics, if I wasn't aware of the 1st and 2nd edition assumptions, there'd be no obvious reason why. The designers aren't "lying", but they're at no point in the core book being straightforward about it, either. As far as I can see, there are basically one of two reasons to do this.

One, you see the school system as a simulation of the world, one that presumes the minor clans are objectively worse for whatever reason (not old enough? not enough kami genes?) but that notion tends to tend itself to nitpicking. Wouldn't a lot of the Mantis schools be worse, or for that matter, some of the newer clan schools? Or is it that being proclaimed a great clan metaphysically improves the quality of its schools and techniques, somehow? And if some explanation like that is the case, why isn't it offered? Two, you actively want to discourage minor clan play and focus on the major clans. Granted, then it's not clear why they're offered as an option at all, save to satisfy completists. Granted, it was a given in the early editions that characters like ronin were given a lot of mechanics that felt intended to passive-aggressively discourage their play; I'm not sure why those mechanics were revived.

The thing is, in an older-style game like Legend of the Five Rings, all of a player's power to affect the narrative is contained in their character. All they have to do stuff with is contained in their characters' capabilities and their ability to succeed with them. And when one type of character is made less capable, their ability to have an impact on things is reduced. If Tetsuko from the Deer Clan fails more often than Hiro from the Lion Clan, this isn't a game where leads to equally interesting circumstances. And while Tetsuko can still have fun in the spaces outside the rules, but the excuse is "well, they're just as interesting to roleplay!" just avoids the question of why Tetsuko gets weaker techniques. Certainly, saying the game isn't about fighting in a system that has well over a hundred fighting techniques and katas in the core alone (even excluding battle shugenja, spells, and kiho) and designed largely to depict bushi (compare the length of the combat rules with, say, the nearly nonexistent social systems) strikes me as an assertion that doesn't hold much water. Or fire. Or earth. Or... y'know.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You know, as much as I'd like to jump on Spookyelectric's post, I'm gonna try and keep it more positive. I'll just say I strongly disagree with that design stance.

What would people like to see changed in Legend of the Five Rings, rules-wise? What do people find unsatisfactory about it as it stands? I say this not just to take an critical swipe at 4th edition, but since we've probably got a long gap until 5th edition, the idea of going through and doing a fan-based retooling (like was recently done for Exalted 3e) has been weighing on my mind. As such, I'm curious as to what people have disliked in this edition, or would like to see return from earlier editions?

I'm not making any promises, but as issues like the ronin techniques and the paths come up over and over again, I think it'd be interesting to try and come up with some solutions to these issues.
Personally, my biggest gripe with the game is how RAW getting a high roll doesn't benefit you in any way for 99% of rolls made unless you had the prescience to take raises beforehand. Raises are a cool idea in theory, but it sucks incredibly to have your dice go nuclear but get nothing beyond what a 20 might grant because you couldn't see the future and take all the raises. Just something like "every 10 (15?) above your final TN counts as a free raise", or maybe being able to spend a VP to call some number of raises after the fact, but only if one or more dice exploded, would go miles towards alleviating the "gently caress you, your big outlier rolls count for nothing unless you gamble on getting a big outlier!" feelbad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What the hell, I thought John Wick got kicked out of L5R ages ago?

But then I saw this advice in the core rulebook and now I'm not so sure...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tunicate posted:

What the hell, I thought John Wick got kicked out of L5R ages ago?

But then I saw this advice in the core rulebook and now I'm not so sure...

There's a lot of lovely people involved with L5R, Wick was just the most prominent example.

Here's hoping that FFG burns everything that even smells faintly of the kind of bulshit in that sidebar! :cheers:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yawgmoth posted:

Personally, my biggest gripe with the game is how RAW getting a high roll doesn't benefit you in any way for 99% of rolls made unless you had the prescience to take raises beforehand. Raises are a cool idea in theory, but it sucks incredibly to have your dice go nuclear but get nothing beyond what a 20 might grant because you couldn't see the future and take all the raises. Just something like "every 10 (15?) above your final TN counts as a free raise", or maybe being able to spend a VP to call some number of raises after the fact, but only if one or more dice exploded, would go miles towards alleviating the "gently caress you, your big outlier rolls count for nothing unless you gamble on getting a big outlier!" feelbad.

I think that's what they were going for, though? Where taking risk, "raising the stakes", is more rewarded than just pure luck.

It is kind of counter-intuitive though.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like, the problem is still that the game tells you one thing and the mechanics something else. The in-game fluff tells you about Toku, the ronin who became the Fortune of Virtue after fighting valiantly alongside who would become the Emperor after stealing a dead samurai's weapons and armor, and that's goddamn badass. The actual mechanics tell you "gently caress you, no you aren't allowed to do that, and you lose honor for even trying." Yes, that very blatantly IS the game lying to you. Maybe the game was trying to be all gritty and 90's, but a) that's not what the fluff tells you, and b) it ain't the loving 90's. If L5R is built around being the nameless mooks who watch the actual cool NPCs do rad stuff, then burn the game, it's pointless.

The Suzume don't have to beat Crane at iaijutsu or Lion at war, but the clan based around working alongside the peasants has no bonuses at all to interacting with the peasantry, and the clan based around giving long rambling stories never makes doing that worthwhile, and the clan based around suffering poverty and hardship and coming out harder and more honorable has nothing that supports that whatsoever. The Suzume bushi doesn't fit the clan stereotype. Not that it's the only school with issues; the Ikoma Bard still does close to actually nothing with most of their mechanics, and we've already mentioned the issues the Hare have with their alt. This is a classic problem in the hobby in general - the mechanics don't fit the fluff, which creates the dissonance. If I make a Suzume, I'm making someone who has worked hand in hand with the peasants, who has had to actually work with his hands, who has likely spent at least one entire season hungry, who was raised to tell these big long rambling stories that manage to both annoy yet still convince people, and who's patience was enough to literally bring parts of the Spider Clan back into redemption. If the actual bushi reflects none of that, then what's the point of that bushi?

Ah! Okay, I understand now. Sorry, I think I misunderstood the general complaint.

Yeah, I actually agree with you there. I like 4th Ed L5R, I think it's the most "complete" and well-rounded of the editions, but it does suffer from this problem. It's a problem with multiple causes (how Brand and Marketing directed the writing of official fictions being among them), but that doesn't excuse the dissonance between how Rokugan is portrayed and what seems possible in the system.

It's something a good GM can and should correct naturally in roleplay. But saying that a GM can fix it in homebrew is not a defense of the system. Ideally, the system shouldn't need a GM's constant tinkering in order to work.

It's kind of ironic considering how much effort went into tying the system to the setting. The fact that some clans are just at a disadvantage compared to others is supported by the flavor, and there's hints of flavor connections trying to shine through. Having to work the farmlands themselves is a compelling reason why the Suzume don't spend as much time in martial practice as other samurai from other clans. Bonuses to storytelling is a vague connection to their flavor. But in giving control of the setting to players, it absolutely does fall short. It's not enough. Especially if I can't play a character similar to my favorites in the story. This isn't a unique problem to L5R, but that's also not a satisfying excuse.

Player Characters can and often do feel like secondary players while the world unfolds around them. That being the case, I think it's up to a GM who wants to use this system to craft a narrative that puts characters in the front and center of the events as they unfold, make consequences of their actions real, and then be very liberal about what they can or can't do. I'm not saying that solves the problem, but I think it helps.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I completely misunderstood the complaint here. Sorry!

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 11, 2016

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014
So the real question becomes how to fix it. Are there any better systems for running L5R? The system peg that I've been trying to fit into every genre hole recently is apocalypse world hacks, but I don't know it well enough to figure whether it could be made to work well for L5R.
I know Strike is pretty popular here, not sure if combats are "decisive" enough in something developed from 4e.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think that's what they were going for, though? Where taking risk, "raising the stakes", is more rewarded than just pure luck.

It's extremely counterintuitive, and worse, it's actively not fun. You can never have anything work out better than expected, you never get a lucky break or a stronger hit against a zombie, or have a speech be especially stirring to your audience, or whatever. And worse still, you can never expect to be better than your IR will let you be. Two characters with the same relevant stats but different IR, the one with the big pile of completely irrelevant stuff will have the ability to outdo the other, and likely will every time.

Sir Mopalot posted:

So the real question becomes how to fix it. Are there any better systems for running L5R? The system peg that I've been trying to fit into every genre hole recently is apocalypse world hacks, but I don't know it well enough to figure whether it could be made to work well for L5R.
I know Strike is pretty popular here, not sure if combats are "decisive" enough in something developed from 4e.
I've been tooling about with the idea of using Legends of the Wulin as the system for Rokugan, with schools being replaced by loresheets and stuff like Taint being conditions.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, that's it. The main problem is that roll-and-keep obfuscates the odds. The other problem is that every bet is all-or-nothing, which makes the price of gambling high. Both of these discourage raising unless you've got a very good understanding of the odds, a big die pool, or a specific goal that requires raises.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sir Mopalot posted:

The system peg that I've been trying to fit into every genre hole recently is apocalypse world hacks, but I don't know it well enough to figure whether it could be made to work well for L5R.
It could, but making a good Apocalypse World hack is a pain and a half. You need to really dig into the setting and figure out a tight focus for the game, or it will fall flat. You could probs make a really good game set in a Winter Court, for instance, or you could make a sweet game about the existential horror of serving at the Wall, but trying to combine the two would probably end in tears.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I think a system that significantly downplayed combat would be good. I always found it hilarious that everyone wants to be a Mirumoto samurai for all those attacks, when in reality they're going to die off fast if they get into enough combat to enjoy it. The odds just do not favor the frequent combatant. The WFRP3 system is actually quite deadly and you'd think it would be a good fit, but the R&K system is just as deadly and it never stopped anyone from making the mistake of expecting combat to go like D&D.

I never got into FATE as much as I should, but I would lean more in that direction for my ideal system. I expect the eventual 5e from Fantasy Flight will be based on the house system, though.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
It will probably depend on whether they think that finishing the already in-progress 5th Edition L5R RPG is the quicker path to turning a profit versus making an all-new system of their own. That, and if they even want to enter yet another RPG system into a super-saturated market that many consider already cornered.

I'd personally like to see them finish 5th Edition, but I'm obviously biased.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd be down for a FFG system where every ring gets its own special dice.

Also curious about that in-progress 5E. Any spoilers about it somewhere.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Sir Mopalot posted:

Then you need to decide if having a character wrecked by one roll is something you want or you only want them to die for good narrative reason. Because combat in l5r reminds me of level 1-2 dnd characters in that a crit or one or two can end you and you should just roll up 4-5 characters. L5R has you playing a mook who more likely than not will get one shotted by another mook and if you go against a big bad or main npc bend over and kiss your rear end goodbye.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

4th Ed is complete enough that any FFG 5th edition is going to have to be a massive overhaul for me to even start caring about it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know some dice rollers for L5R exist, but are there any places that just rip the math open for all people to look at and learn from?

Also, what is the best alt system for L5R? While I don't think I've ever seen one, I can say with certainty fan hacks exist.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Covok posted:

I know some dice rollers for L5R exist, but are there any places that just rip the math open for all people to look at and learn from?

Also, what is the best alt system for L5R? While I don't think I've ever seen one, I can say with certainty fan hacks exist.

http://lynks.se/probability/

Lets you calc roll and keep.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tunicate posted:

http://lynks.se/probability/

Lets you calc roll and keep.

Oh dear God, I just clicked around for a few seconds and those probability curves are just awful. They peak at the oddest spots and peak multiple times for certain configurations. Some of the lower values have straight up isosceles triangles.I don't think there is any uniform benefit to an additional dice or additional dice kept: it must all be considered based entirely on your current placement. I knew intrinsically it was obfuscated, but now I wonder if the creators knew how obfuscated it was.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Swagger Dagger posted:

4th Ed is complete enough that any FFG 5th edition is going to have to be a massive overhaul for me to even start caring about it.

Agreed. I think they've tweaked R&K enough over the last four editions that we know how it goes. We know it's deadly, it's tough to understand the odds of something, and that balancing schools seems to be a nightmare. There's not a lot of room left to explore. I am down for a new system.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

EverettLO posted:

I think a system that significantly downplayed combat would be good. I always found it hilarious that everyone wants to be a Mirumoto samurai for all those attacks, when in reality they're going to die off fast if they get into enough combat to enjoy it.

Especially since L5R4 Mir isn't that good :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Covok posted:

Oh dear God, I just clicked around for a few seconds and those probability curves are just awful. They peak at the oddest spots and peak multiple times for certain configurations. Some of the lower values have straight up isosceles triangles.I don't think there is any uniform benefit to an additional dice or additional dice kept: it must all be considered based entirely on your current placement. I knew intrinsically it was obfuscated, but now I wonder if the creators knew how obfuscated it was.

I think it'd look a little less ugly if it were cumulative, but I guess it makes sense it looks like that... each explosion sends you up a tier, so there's a 0% chance of rolling a 10 on 1k1, for instance.

That site also has errata listed

quote:

Can you activate a kata outisde combat? Let’s say, you wake in the morning and, just after you get up of bad you spend a simple action to activate a kata that don’t have a duration so it will be active at the start of any battle? No. Dude. Seriously. Don’t be that guy.
... isn't there a kata that only gives you a bonus to your initiative rolls?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 11, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covok posted:

I don't think there is any uniform benefit to an additional dice or additional dice kept: it must all be considered based entirely on your current placement. I knew intrinsically it was obfuscated, but now I wonder if the creators knew how obfuscated it was.
I'm fairly certain that in all but weird corner cases, if you get to choose between rolling or keeping an extra die, you should always keep.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Siivola posted:

I'm fairly certain that in all but weird corner cases, if you get to choose between rolling or keeping an extra die, you should always keep.

Well, that is good to know, but is the increase in percentage uniform or all over the place?

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Sir Mopalot posted:

I've actually been messing around with something like that. It's basically a reskin of Apocalypse World. My solution to the taint is currently a separate ‘experience’ track that you mark when appropriate. A lot of clan techniques and styles can be represented as moves or weapons (like a falconer just has a falcon weapon to go with his sword or whatever), and there's no reason similar ones can't be used by characters of different backgrounds and described differently. I also chucked honor ranks in favor of a binary honorable/dishonored, where dishonored is basically what happens when you ‘die’ in court.

It's in really early stages, though, and I've been a little busy undergoing rehabilitation, so I don't know when or if I'll finish it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

socilest butthomo posted:

I've actually been messing around with something like that. It's basically a reskin of Apocalypse World. My solution to the taint is currently a separate ‘experience’ track that you mark when appropriate. A lot of clan techniques and styles can be represented as moves or weapons (like a falconer just has a falcon weapon to go with his sword or whatever), and there's no reason similar ones can't be used by characters of different backgrounds and described differently. I also chucked honor ranks in favor of a binary honorable/dishonored, where dishonored is basically what happens when you ‘die’ in court.

It's in really early stages, though, and I've been a little busy undergoing rehabilitation, so I don't know when or if I'll finish it.

If you want some inspiration, look into Urban Shadows. It has a mechanic called "Corruption" that sounds similar to your "taint" idea. Outside of that, if you want to puruse this further, I suggest throwing some ideas/drafts out in the PbtA thread. They might be able to help you more.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

As a supplement to that, I'd compiled the results together a while ago for anyone who's interested in passing the graphs around. (I know my group ended up using these a bunch to get a sense on when to use VP and when to try raising.)

NGDBSS posted:

Along those lines, if people are interested I have some average values of XkY pulled from here. It's available in Google Drive form and .xlsx form.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, absolutely all over the place. The first couple of kept dice are the most important, but their value starts dropping off as you approach the limits of your pool.

Edit: Oh, clicking around a bit, it looks like there is an exception to the "always keep more" rule. If you're rolling more than four dice and keeping one less than you're rolling (that is, Nk(N-1), N>4), you should roll more dice instead of keeping that last one.

So always keep more, unless that'd mean keeping all your rolled dice.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 11, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mind you, given how the actual system works, it mostly just boils down to "take one point in skills you think you might use at some point or are flavorful, advance skills from there almost solely for the sake of masteries, upgrade your goddamn traits. Skills become way more valuable if you have enough bonuses to land you at ten dice rolled. Specializations aren't really worthwhile until you have at least 3 in a skill, and are more valuable if you explode on 9's."

There just really aren't a lot of situations where you can choose on the fly between rolling an extra die or keeping an extra die. Or, well, any, that I can think of.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mind you, given how the actual system works, it mostly just boils down to "take one point in skills you think you might use at some point or are flavorful, advance skills from there almost solely for the sake of masteries, upgrade your goddamn traits. Skills become way more valuable if you have enough bonuses to land you at ten dice rolled. Specializations aren't really worthwhile until you have at least 3 in a skill, and are more valuable if you explode on 9's."

There just really aren't a lot of situations where you can choose on the fly between rolling an extra die or keeping an extra die. Or, well, any, that I can think of.

Is this ever deliberately spelled out in the book?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

No. It's not difficult to puzzle out this sort of system mastery even if you don't have explicit data/graphs on the relevant order statistics, but the books don't mention it and most human NPCs are built to be bloated on skills instead.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Spookyelectric posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I completely misunderstood the complaint here. Sorry!

It's okay! I probably belabored the point myself, but I'm mildly traumatized by reviewing certain books by a certain designer important to L5R and it might help explain my jerky knee.

Spookyelectric posted:

I'd personally like to see them finish 5th Edition, but I'm obviously biased.

Can you talk about what was planned, now that it's no longer in AEG's hands?

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Can you talk about what was planned, now that it's no longer in AEG's hands?

No, sorry... Even though I really want to, I don't think I can. It's FFG's property now and the only reason I can mention it at all is because Dave Laderoute did in his open letter to the players when AEG sold the franchise. There's still a chance that FFG will want to complete its development and I really don't want to sour that.

I'm kinda hoping they will feel similarly about the L5R novel I was halfway through writing...

socilest butthomo posted:

I was actually dabbling in something similar myself! Also Apocalypse World based. If you ever want to compare notes, let me know. :)

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 12, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So was bored today and wrote up two minor clan bushi schools. I'm not happy with a few techniques so I,m posting them here to ask for feedback.

Frog Bushi (In the case the Kaeru become a minor clan, like in Heroes of Rokugan 3
+1 Perception
honor: 4,5 seems about right
bojustsu (Machi-Kanshisha), hunting, investigation, Lore: Law, Commerce, Etiquette, Any one Bugei or Merchant skill
Rank 1 Way of the Frog
Can use all Staff weapons with honor or glory loss
+1k0 to attack rolls with Staves and +1k0 to damage rolls with Machi-Kanshisha (this might seem a lot, but at 1k2 Machi-Kanshisha are still not as good as a Bo staff)
Rank 2 Smoke and Mirrors
Disarm and Knockdown Maneuvers require one less raise
Rank 3 Flick of the Tongue
Can Attack as a Simple Action when wielding Staves
Rank 4 Poisoned Frog
+1k1 Damage when attacking Prone or Disarmed opponents (does not stack)
Rank 5 Pipe Dreams
Add Water Ring x 5 to TN to be Hit when wielding a Staff (this one I'm really not sure, but I think the name fits the thematic of the fat frog smoking a pipe so I'm not sure what else to put as a technique with that name?)

Raven Bushi
So the Raven Clan are one of the possible minor clans in Imperial Archives and I think they're cool. They live in really isolated lovely lands so they go out to get hired as Yojimbos and send the money back home or give it to the Brotherhood of Shinsei (they're pretty close to the brotherhood). I thought that was an interesting concept so I built a bushi school around that.
+1 Stamina
Karasu Family +1 Willpower
Kenjutsu, Survival, Hunting, Defense, Athletics, Meditation, Any one skill
Rank 1 Way of the Raven
When using the Guard Maneuver, gain Reduction equal to Earth Ring
(The idea is, they take the hit when protecting their charges, a different way to yojimbo)
Rank 2 Wisdom of the Road
Add 1k0 to all School Skill rolls when outside of Towns/Cities
(This one I'm really unhappy with, I wanted something to reflect their wandering nature but I feel like this is too broad/powerful)
Rank 3 Flutter of Wings
May attack as a simple action with a daisho
Rank 4 Scavenger Bird
Wound penalties are only applied/updated at the reaction step each round
(the idea is they get to make a counter-strike after taking a hit for their charge)
Rank 5 An Unkindness of Ravens
Gain a Void Point when receiving an attack due to the Guard action
(Keeping the yojimbo theme going, although this mgiht be overkill)

I'd like to do more with their connection with the Brotherhood but I'm not sure how to do it. Anyway, this is my first draft.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Spookyelectric posted:

I'm kinda hoping they will feel similarly about the L5R novel I was halfway through writing...

Yeah I heard about that and it sucks, I hope you get to do something with it. Larry Correia just had his Son of the Black Sword book come out which has a strong feel of L5R to it along with the fact he played the RPG for a long time. As a person he has strong views that upset people but I like his popcorn fiction even if I don't agree with him about life.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got some feedback on the Raven bushi from my friends and here's a second version for whatever that's worth.

Raven Bushi
+1 Stamina
Karasu Family +1 Willpower
Kenjutsu, Survival, Hunting, Defense, Athletics, Meditation, Any one skill
Rank 1 Way of the Raven
When using the Guard Maneuver, gain Reduction equal to Survival. Gain 1k0 bonus to social rolls with members of the Brotherhood of Shinsei.
Rank 2 Wisdom of the Road
When spending a Void Point while within 10 feet of a companion, you may give that companion the benefits of the effect you chose instead of gaining them for yourself. You are also considered as having Kharmic Tie (1) with any companion you have traveled with for more than a week. This tie is lost when you haven't traveled with the companion within the last week.
Rank 3 Flutter of Wings
May attack as a simple action with a daisho or when performing the Guard Action
Rank 4 Scavenger Bird
Wound penalties are only applied/updated at the reaction step each round
Rank 5 An Unkindness of Ravens
When you are using the Guard Action, gain a Void Point when the person you designated to Guard is hit by an attack.
(This incentivizes the opponent to hit the Yojimbo instead of his charge)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Rank 5 seems pretty weak to me, at least for a rank 5. If you're going for a yojimbo theme, I'd make it something that would let you flat-out force enemies to attack you instead, or maybe lets you make a free attack against anything that attacks the designated person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, so either spend a VP to make an attack target you or to attack as a free action someone who is going to attack your charge?

Edit: bonus Karasu Ancestor
(10) Gain 1k0 to all school skill rolls when on the road, will leave you if a charge under your care OR a monk of the brotherhood in your presence dies when you could have saved them.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 13, 2016

• Locked thread