Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Wow you guys are awesome. The Dorkroom really is the Bestroom. I may have some more questions in the coming months as we make some final decisions but your suggestions have been enlightening and are making me feel really food about our trip. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm traveling to Alaska at the end of the month, and we're dong a few hikes. What gear would you say is feasible for hiking? Do people carry tripods, camera bags with lenses etc. on a hike? (look at me, im a hiking newb)

Obviously the lighter the load the better, but my tripod isn't extremely light, and im not sure what gear is realistic for hiking in.

I don't have any lenses with very much reach, i have a 24mm TS-e , 35mm 1.4, 100mm macro, and a 135mm f2. I also have one 580ex II .

Should I rent something with more reach? Should I leave some lenses home? Help meh!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bring rain protection, because August tends to be pretty rainy up there.. especially around the coasts.

I really like having a tripod on a hike, but they do get heavy after 10 miles. So it's a value judgement. If you can use some cash on a lightweight tripod or maybe even a gorillapod that might be good enough.

As for lenses, I like having a wide angle on hand and a moderate zoom.. something that can reach into the 200mm range. Longer would be cool for wildlife, but long lenses are heavy. Primes stay at home.. they're great lenses but changing out constantly is not fun on a hike.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Gorillapods scare the poo poo out of me. I don't know if I could use one of them :ohdear: And super light tripods are like 83940850938530 dollars. :( Hmmmmm..........

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah they're a long ways off from a real tripod, but I've had good luck using them to rest my camera on a rock or something. They're so easy to stuff in a bag "just in case".

Long as you have a light lens and maybe no battery grip they work well enough.

Your best bet may be to toughen up and bring whatever tripod you already have. Find a good way to lash it to your bag and it'll be fine.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Get a hiking pole with a camera mount. If you've never hiked before you need to worry about your feet above all. Make sure you wear proper boots and wool socks. Do some reading about hiking, especially for the area you are hiking in. When I hike I usually take a 10-22 or 17-50 and a 70-200, extra batteries, hiking pole and a pack that has a waterproof cover.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Whitezombi posted:

Get a hiking pole with a camera mount. If you've never hiked before you need to worry about your feet above all. Make sure you wear proper boots and wool socks. Do some reading about hiking, especially for the area you are hiking in. When I hike I usually take a 10-22 or 17-50 and a 70-200, extra batteries, hiking pole and a pack that has a waterproof cover.

Is your pack a camera pack meant for hiking, or a hiking pack that you put your camera in? If it's the latter, what do you do for padding?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EPICAC posted:

Is your pack a camera pack meant for hiking, or a hiking pack that you put your camera in? If it's the latter, what do you do for padding?

Just cram that bastard in there. :black101:

I usually have a towel with me for forehead mopping duty or drying off if I get soaked.. I'll wrap the camera up in that if I feel it needs protection. If I do any canoeing I have a dry bag I stash the camera in just in case there's a problem. But other than that I generally treat my camera like poo poo. DSLRs are pretty tough, either I carry it around in one hand or stuffed into the top of my bag. But even this isn't enough to get me to put it away:

xzzy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 7, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Going to Vancouver tomorrow holy poo poo yes :toot:

Suggestions are very much welcome. I'm going to have a whole week almost completely free.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
I'm going to be hanging out in the village of Kyleakin in Scotland for two days next month, any good tips for the Isle of Skye or surrounding areas ?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Klogdor posted:

I'm going to be hanging out in the village of Kyleakin in Scotland for two days next month, any good tips for the Isle of Skye or surrounding areas ?

It's a super small village. You can see every inch of the place in 2 hours if you move at a snail's pace. If you have access to a car, just drive the loop of the island. It's all pretty. Portree's a good place to stop for a meal or to shop for tourist crap. Quiraing and the Faerie Glen are must-sees.

I was pretty rushed across the island and didn't really get many pictures except for in Kyleakin:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

Going to Vancouver tomorrow holy poo poo yes :toot:

Suggestions are very much welcome. I'm going to have a whole week almost completely free.

Stanley Park - go at low tide and take deeply meaningful pictures juxtaposing sealife / washed up garbage with semi-abstract concepts like "Globalization" as manifested by freighters and bridges and so forth.
Street photography - Downtown during the day (Capitalism!), Gastown or (if you're a bit more jaded) East Hastings at night (The Seedy Underbelly!)
Go for a walk (or more than one) on the North Shore. Start at either Lynn Valley or Lynn Canyon (close enough together to include both in a longer walk). Temperate rainforest, streams, tourists, interesting grafitti carved into trees.
Climb the Grouse Grind. Post pictures of your time.
Visit VanDusen Botanical Garden - check in with the Visitor's Centre, they charge for commercial photography and location scouts for filmmakers, but (I think) non-commercial photography is OK.
There's a path that runs along almost the entire waterfront, at sunset it can be pretty spectacular, though you might have to dodge joggers and cyclists and other fitness-lunatics.
For birdwatching, Reifel Bird Sanctuary is great, and there are many parks that have interesting patches of vegetation that certain birds seem to like - Deer Lake Park, for example.

Not really photography-related, but Bon's restaurant at the corner of Nanaimo and Broadway has all-day breakfast for $2.95 and great ambiance.

Bon's Waitress posted:

You'll have to get your own coffee because I am slaaaaaaammmmed!
Love that place.

If you're not going to have access to a car - and parking is death in many parts of the city - pick up a pack of 10 transit passes (splurge for more zones if you plan to travel across Burrard Inlet to/from the North Shore, or to the eastern suburbs like Coquitlam) at any convenience store and roam the city by public transit. Vancouver's public transit system is pretty good (in my opinion) and there are some nice views available from the Skytrain in several places.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Honestly, just go around and enjoy the touristy things and don't worry too much about photography since Vancouver has already been photographed to death by both residents and visitors alike.

Also, you missed out on the good weather and now it's all rainy and crappy. If you want to see some of the local colour, try hitting up Funky's for a punk or metal show. You might run into local music legends like Chi Pig (SNFU) or Ron Reyes (Black Flag) there.

It's a rougher part of town, but you'll be fine as long as you don't behave like an idiot. Folks there are friendlier than what you'll find on the Granville strip.

Oh, and if you go to Bon's the next day, you might run into a bunch of folks from the show the previous night.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

It's a super small village. You can see every inch of the place in 2 hours if you move at a snail's pace. If you have access to a car, just drive the loop of the island. It's all pretty. Portree's a good place to stop for a meal or to shop for tourist crap. Quiraing and the Faerie Glen are must-sees.

I was pretty rushed across the island and didn't really get many pictures except for in Kyleakin:

Looks really nice! I'm travelling low budget and staying in a hostel. I'm thinking I'll just get a bus tour around the island. looks like a relaxing place. thanks!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I moved to Everett recently, not too far from Seattle. Where should I go? What areas should I avoid?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
That sucks dude, Everett is a shithole. I work up here near the Boeing plant and do a bit of shooting in the various business parks near the airport. I can also recommend the Narbeck Wetlands on Seaway blvd those are kinda cool.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Everett has banked track roller derby. That's pretty neat. Google up "Tilted Thunder".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That entire part of Washington is full of stuff to shoot.. you're gonna have to go driving though. Get lost in the cascades, go visit Anacortes during the tulip festival, or do day hikes in the olympics. Ferry rides in the San Juans, street shooting at pike's pier, spend a weekend around mount st. helens.

Everett is a shithole though. :v:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

xzzy posted:

Everett is a shithole though. :v:

Yeah, I'm stationed there. I don't have a car so I'll have to ride my bike and bus everywhere. Aside from Pike's Place, are there cool areas in Seattle worth looking at?

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 31, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Elderbean posted:

Yeah, I'm stationed there. I don't have a car so I'll have to ride my bike and bus everywhere. Aside from Pike's Place, are there cool areas in Seattle worth looking at?

All of seattle is cool.:colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you don't mind doing touristy stuff, the underground tour is one of the coolest things to do downtown. Not a lot of pictures down in there, but there are a few spots you could probably get a neat snapshot.

Don't get suckered into riding to the top of the space needle though, it sucks.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
I backed this guy's book on Kickstarter about photographing Seattle. It turned out pretty good, with decent advice and a ton of places to shoot at. Might be worthwhile:

http://www.amazon.com/Scenic-Seattle-Best-Spots-ebook/dp/B00DV5GEPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378057809&sr=8-1&keywords=scenic+seattle

I want one for Portland, OR now.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hey Hotwax Residue (and any other NZ goons), your advice was very helpful when I asked about NZ a few weeks ago. I have a few more questions. Our trip is pretty well laid out but I realized that I'd be able to catch the All Blacks play Australia in Dunedin on Oct 19 and I just can't pass that up. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to cancel seeing Milford Sound. Is this a horrible idea? Basically the south island is looking like this:

12-Oct - Evening ferry to Picton
13-Oct - Drive to Abel Tasman, hike and camp in park
14-Oct - hike out, leisurely drive to Westport and/or Punakaiki
15-Oct - Franz Josef Glacier
16-Oct - Fox Glacier, drive to Wanaka
17-Oct - Hang out in Wanaka, hike, etc, night in Queenstown
18-Oct - Hang out in Queenstown, night in Queenstown
19-Oct - morning in Queenstown, drive to Dunedin, rugby game, night in Dunedin
20-Oct -
21-Oct - _______, drive to Christchurch, night in Christchursh
22-Oct - Early morning flight out of Christchurch

We were going to stay in Te Anau on the 19th and do Milford Sound on the 20th. Unfortunately it is a 5 hour drive to Milford sound from Dunedin plus 1.5 hours back to Te Anau. Would it be worth a 6.5 hour drive?.

I don't think 3 nights in the high country of Wanaka/Queensland will really be enough but I'm considering just hanging out in Dunedin or surrounding area on the 20th (and maybe morning of the 21st?) and driving to Christchurch the evening of the 21st.Thoughts?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I will be in Tampa, Florida for a conference in the first two weeks of November - the conference ends on November 6, and I fly home November 12. A friend and I are planning to rent a car for Nov 7-11 and explore the area, neither of us has been to Tampa or that part of Florida before.

I'm hoping to get lots of bird watching / wildlife photography in, and I'm pondering camping one or two nights and staying at some motel the other nights. Fort De Soto park looks promising, anybody done anything like spend a long weekend in / around Tampa in the fall?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'll be in Cabo San Lucas next week. I won't have a car, but don't mind walking around. Anyone know of anything cool besides the arch?

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Work is sending me on an extended trip to the pacific northwest. I'll be in Puget Sound for 3 months from January to April. I've never been here before, and since I don't know anyone in the area I'd imagine that I'll have a lot of free time to take pictures. Can anyone provide some advice for the area and/or Seattle/Tacoma things to photograph?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you get some free time, a day or two in the San Juan islands is a great decision. The Skagit tulip festival is in April which is pretty great if you want hundreds of acres of colors.

I've heard Olympic NP is a great visit but I've never been.

As for Seattle/Tacoma itself, anything along the water is a lot of fun. If you like street photography the pike place market is a must visit.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There's a big waterfall/hydroelectric dam at Snoqualmie or whatever it's called. I went on a foggy day and couldn't see poo poo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
All my favourite threads move so slowly they're in danger of getting archived.

I'll be in Austria in mid-April for about a week ahead of a conference in Vienna that covers the last few days of April and into May. I'm travelling with my girlfriend, and we're both interested in seeing a good chunk of the country, especially things like national parks and mountains (yes, I know the whole country is basically mountains, but we live in the flat, empty wasteland that is Saskatchewan and anything even a little bit vertical counts as exciting).

Does anybody have an recommendations for particular places to visit / things to do? I figure springtime in the Alps is as good a time as any for dramatic landscape shots, and should be good for birds / bugs / flowers, too.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I realize that this thread is close to falling off, but I'm travelling to Boston for PAX East later this week, and since I have a terrible attention span for video games I will likely skip out on my friends one day to go take photos. Any Boston goons have advice on good spots to shoot?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good news is now that summer's on the way for the northern hemisphere, travel should be on the rise. :buddy:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Shellman posted:

I realize that this thread is close to falling off, but I'm travelling to Boston for PAX East later this week, and since I have a terrible attention span for video games I will likely skip out on my friends one day to go take photos. Any Boston goons have advice on good spots to shoot?

You could go to the top of the Prudential tower (I think it's like $15 to get to the top) and shoot some panoramas of Boston. Back Bay is fun for old Europey looking buildings and narrow streets, and Newbury St is good for people watching.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

xzzy posted:

If you get some free time, a day or two in the San Juan islands is a great decision. The Skagit tulip festival is in April which is pretty great if you want hundreds of acres of colors.

I've heard Olympic NP is a great visit but I've never been.

As for Seattle/Tacoma itself, anything along the water is a lot of fun. If you like street photography the pike place market is a must visit.

I went to Skagit and got some of the best photos I've ever taken. They're in full bloom right now, and it's amazing. Thank you!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, it's "the thing" for photographers to do in the spring up that way.

I've never been able to go to it myself though. I'll go visit family there in March or June or something and they're always "you should totally come here in April sometime."

It's cool you got to see it, I liked the shots you put up.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If anyone is interested in meeting up, I'll be in NYC from the 28th until the 2nd.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 14, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Hong Kong: loving everywhere is good to shoot in. It's got it all:
- Skyscrapers: everywhere. Central is particularly good, with the Bank of China and HSBC buildings
- Nature: there are a few parks around, like victoria park, Hong Kong park and Sha Tin.
- Birds: Hong Kong park bird conservatory
- Street: basically everywhere
- Cars: the best is on a sunday afternoon on the major roads coming back from the new territories
- Touristy poo poo: Pretty much everywhere. One of the most popular is the peak which you get to from Central. You get a birds eye view of Central. Another one is Tsim Sha Tsui at night, shooting towards Hong Kong.
- Sports: The horse racing track at Happy Valley, or soccer/basketball at Victoria park.

Basically Hong Kong is a photographer's dream.

Johnny Reb
Mar 9, 2013
Where's some of the best places to shoot in long beach?

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Johnny Reb posted:

Where's some of the best places to shoot in long beach?

I'm assuming you're talking long beach, CA. What kind of stuff do you like to shoot?

Well aside from the awesome beaches you could do some touristy stuff like the Queen Mary or the Aquarium of the Pacific. There's also the Earl Burns Miller Japanese garden. You could also take a trip out to Catalina Island. If I remember correctly one of the ports is in Long Beach.

Japanese Garden website - http://www.csulb.edu/~jgarden/

I've *heard* decent things about Rancho Los Alamitos, but I have no firsthand experience with it. It's a 7.5 acre historic site. Here's a map of their garden area:

http://www.rancholosalamitos.org/gardens/garden_map.html

The Jacaranda trees are in full bloom right now (they bloom purple) so I suspect that the Jacaranda walk would be pretty awesome. I'm going to be out in that area this weekend, if you don't go by then then I might just go check it out myself and let you know :)

If I think of more I'll add to this post.

edit: If you like cars and racing Long Beach has a grand prix track. You already missed the 2014 grand prix, but maybe they'll have other things going on?

Drewski fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 14, 2014

96cobraguy
Aug 10, 2008
Ill be making a trip to LA and to Vegas in late August for a week (first time visiting either place). A lot of great recommendations for the LA area! Any ideas for places to shoot near Vegas (besides the usual haunts of Hoover Dam, Neon Boneyard, etc). I've heard good things about shooting at Valley of Fire.
I'm gonna try and limit how much camera gear I'm bringing, so I'm limiting myself to my Sony A65 for digital, my Minolta 7 for B&W film, and I'd like to limit it to my Tamron 23-75mm f2.8 along with my tripod and filters. Not sure if thats a smart idea... but I'm open to suggestion (I've also got a 75-200mm f. 3.5-5.6 and a 50mm f.1.7 as well). I love shooting B&W and long exposure stuff, but haven't had a chance to shoot much. So this is an opportunity to get out there and take some photos without the kids in tow.
Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I know we got a bunch of Portlandgoons up in here:

Where's some good touristy places to go that are fun to shoot? I'm heading down for two days with some friends and not all of us take pictures.

Also any cool local camera shops to check out?

• Locked thread