Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

After seeing so many "Recommend me a RPG" thread turn into general discussions about RPG's in general, I decided to make my own thread for people to ask their questions in.

Heres something from wikipedia about RPG's in case you're an idiot:

Wikipedia posted:

Role-playing video games (RPGs) form a loosely defined genre of computer and video games with origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games[1] such as Dungeons & Dragons, borrowing much of their terminology, settings and game mechanics. The player in RPGs controls one or several adventuring party members fulfilling one or many quests. The major similarities with pen-and-paper games involve developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replayability and immersion. Electronic medium removes the necessity for a gamemaster and increases combat resolution speed. RPGs have evolved from simple text-based console-window games into visually rich 3D experiences.

I figure we can use this thread as a place to find out about new RPG's coming out, to recommend games, ask some questions relating to a RPG game, WRPG vs. JRPG, and so on.
I'll start it off.
I have 3 RPG's at one time. The games are white knight chronicles, Folklore and resonance of fate. Which one would be best to start

casual poster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Current RPG threads:
Baulder's Gate 2
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Disgaea Megathread
Dragonquest Megathread
Etrian Odyssey III
Fate/Extra
Final Fantasy Megathread
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy XIII
Megami Tensei Megathread
Nier
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Persona 3 Portable
Suikoden Megathread
Tactics Ogre
Tales Of Series Megathread
Xenoblade Chronicles

casual poster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 13, 2011

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 30, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Resonance of Fate is a really good tactics heavy RPG. The way the game is built you can't grind through tough encounters and have to use the game mechanics to your advantage to make it past the first few hours. Sadly though, the rate of combat is pretty high so towards the end it can be a bit samey, though the difficulty curve does push you to keep improving.
Also the three main characters are all pretty good and the voice acting it stellar throughout.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'll second Jesto's post. I've gotten most of the way through Last Scenario and it's a ton of fun and does have that early Final Fantasy vibe to it. It's also far and away the hardest RPG I've ever played, so if you want a challenge pick it up. I didn't get through much of Exit Fate but not for lack of interest.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: One of the best freeware RPGs around in terms of game mechanics and production values, it would still be an entertaining game with a vanilla plot. What makes this special though is the consistently excellent humour. Set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse caused by the incredibly destructive b-ball technique the 'chaos dunk' which destroyed the city of New York, it follows former b-ball star Charles Barkley and his son Hoopz in his quest for redemption and protect his son from the fascist state forces led by collaborator Michael Jordan. It is absolutely ruthless in its parodies of jRPG conventions and internet culture including an underground village of furries, a plastic surgery full of anime cosplayers, unexplained allusions to Christian mythology, save points which rant about the superiority of Japanese videogames (all real, copied from forums) and all presented completely straight faced. It's the best freeware game I've played outside of Cave Story.

edit: link updated

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 3, 2010

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

SomeChump posted:

Resonance of Fate is a really good tactics heavy RPG. The way the game is built you can't grind through tough encounters and have to use the game mechanics to your advantage to make it past the first few hours. Sadly though, the rate of combat is pretty high so towards the end it can be a bit samey, though the difficulty curve does push you to keep improving.
Also the three main characters are all pretty good and the voice acting it stellar throughout.

This game really surprised me. I had a blast with it at first and the combat was really interesting, but by chapter 11 I was so sick of it that it felt like a chore to continue. The game can be pretty brutal and have normal encounters that are more difficult than boss fights. However, you're normally just using the same strategy on simple fights repeatedly.

Most of the game is actually doing the sidequests. The lovely part about that is if you skip one, you can break a chain of quests and will not be able to do future side quests which may or may not have great rewards. Those sidequests also make sure that you aren't falling behind in levels, which means you won't be getting killed in 1 hit by bosses. Fortunately, most successful boss strategies involve not getting hit at all.

The game is amazing when it is at it's best, but you really have to trudge through a lot of crap to get to that. The interesting fights are very satisfying and it has some great characters as well. Not being the run of mill spunky teenager saves the world from the dark lord story is a plus, even if the story isn't that great.

I would definitely recommend at least giving it a shot to anyone though. Any game where you can customize a gun to have multiple barrels, 2 scopes and enough grips for an octopus is worth a shot.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

casual poster posted:

your an idiot

Who's the idiot now? :colbert:

Thank you for posting Barkley's Shut Up & Jam, SomeChump. I had always meant to play it, but never got around to downloading it until now.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Yeah I just decided that I'm going to play resonance of fate starting tonight, the battle system really intrigues me. White knight chronicles is going to be returned, and folklore will be my side game, because I've played some of it before and I can just use it as brainless fodder.

Luminous Cow posted:

Who's the idiot now? :colbert:
No it never said that I dont know what you're talking about!

casual poster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 1, 2010

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

casual poster posted:

No it never said that I dont know what your talking about!
:smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Endorph posted:

:smug:

your is the new you're

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I really want to play an RPG (preferably jRPG) with a setting outside of the standard fantasy fare. Can anyone recommend some? I've already played all the FF's, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1, Shin Megami Tensei 2, Persona 2&3, Grandia, Front Mission 3, Snatcher (not really an RPG), KotOR 1&2, Fallout 2&3, Lost Odyssey, Deus Ex, Septerra Core, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 2, and Star Ocean 2%3.

One of my first Final Fantasy memories is the opening of FFVI with the panorama of the Imperial City; that and FFVII's Midgar really left an impression on me. I think that those two cities were some of the coolest creations in video games, and it was a shame that the player didn't get to explore them more, imo. So I'm hoping someone can maybe point out a game that I've missed that has that kind of setting that you get to explore at some point. But speaking more broadly, have I missed any good higher-tech-than-feudal-setting RPG's?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

SomeChump posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: One of the best freeware RPGs around in terms of game mechanics and production values, it would still be an entertaining game with a vanilla plot. What makes this special though is the consistently excellent humour. Set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse caused by the incredibly destructive b-ball technique the 'chaos dunk' which destroyed the city of New York, it follows former b-ball star Charles Barkley and his son Hoopz in his quest for redemption and protect his son from the fascist state forces led by collaborator Michael Jordan. It is absolutely ruthless in its parodies of jRPG conventions and internet culture including an underground village of furries, a plastic surgery full of anime cosplayers, unexplained allusions to Christian mythology, save points which rant about the superiority of Japanese videogames (all real, copied from forums) and all presented completely straight faced. It's the best freeware game I've played outside of Cave Story.

This is the only video game that matters in this world. It changed my life. I started getting good grades. I got a girlfriend. I started going outside. I went to the gym. I started eating better. All because of BSUAJ:G.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Resonance of fate is set in the future. I haven't gotten that far in it, just started tonight actually. Give it a look.

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I really want to play an RPG (preferably jRPG) with a setting outside of the standard fantasy fare. Can anyone recommend some? I've already played all the FF's, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1, Shin Megami Tensei 2, Persona 2&3, Grandia, Front Mission 3, Snatcher (not really an RPG), KotOR 1&2, Fallout 2&3, Lost Odyssey, Deus Ex, Septerra Core, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 2, and Star Ocean 2%3.

One of my first Final Fantasy memories is the opening of FFVI with the panorama of the Imperial City; that and FFVII's Midgar really left an impression on me. I think that those two cities were some of the coolest creations in video games, and it was a shame that the player didn't get to explore them more, imo. So I'm hoping someone can maybe point out a game that I've missed that has that kind of setting that you get to explore at some point. But speaking more broadly, have I missed any good higher-tech-than-feudal-setting RPG's?

The Suikoden series is pretty sweet. Except 4.. It may not be quite what your looking for but from your list it doesn't look like you've played them. You pretty much get a castle and start recruiting characters throughout the area the game takes place. Along with your standard jRPG fights there's also some big war ones in a tactical style. Suikoden 2 is one of my top 5 jRPGs but might be hard to find. Don't think its on the PSN and it goes for quite a bit nowadays. After playing 4 I wasn't sure how 5 would be but it is definitely a gem for the PS2 and I was very impressed by it.

Also if you only played the first Xenosaga you can carry on to the next two or just skip to the third. The second one might be a bit of a pain to get through but the third one is another one of my favourite jRPGS. Xenosaga Ep. III has incredible music paired up with some awesome boss fights which makes for a really rad experience.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Which Final Fantasy is better, 7 or 8?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Have you tried Anachronox? The gameplay is a bit clunky, but if you could tolerate Septerra Core...

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Everyone should play through Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines at least twice. Once as a general playthrough, another as a Malkavian.

VTMB is basically a western style RPG where stats and picking a class actually changes a lot about the game. The basic breakdown of the game is that you are a brand new vampire in LA. You get sent on bitch missions by the Camarila, a group of vamps who's entire purpose is to make sure that a random vampire doesn't gently caress up and have human's discover they exist. They are also pretty corrupt so you have several choices later in the game as to which of the factions you want to side with. The general plot is almost like a mystery story has you try and find out what's really going on and who is lying about whatever. In fact, most of the side mission tend to have you solving little mini-mysteries, like why the homeless population has a mysterious blood-born disease, or who went on a rampage and slaughtered some dudes on a pier.

Apparently the game is based off a table-top game and sticks with the source material pretty faithfully. For example, the Masquerade refers to the fact that you can't go making it obvious you're a vampire. If a regular human sees you sprinting down the street faster than a car, they'll freak out and call the cops. You get 5 chances. As you blow your cover more and more, you start attracting vampire hunters and after the fifth fuckup its game over.

It's one of the rare games where picking a class actually changes the game a lot. For example, your class pretty much defines how most characters will react to you. For example, play as a pretty boy ventrue and those anarchists down the street won't care to much for you at first. Play as a ugly rear end Nosferatu and you can't even travel outside the sewers without racking up masquerade violations.Play as the spell casting Tremere and get special treatment from fellow Tremere's as you learn blood secrets.

It's apparently like Dues Ex only without the poo poo UI. It even has FPS elements where switching to a gun puts you in FPS mode and it plays just like a shooter (but everyone knows guns are for wussies, go melee baby). Stats are all important and there's a gently caress ton of them. Instead of leveling up you just get some experience points after solving a quest to spend however you want. There's even cool skills like computer hacking and lockpicking.

The Malkavian class is so cool it gets its own section. You generally only play one on your second playthrough. Malkavians are crazy rear end bonkers insane. You get wacky dialogue choices, can see past the plot, hear random whispers, and have vibrant conversations with stop signs. As an added bonus almost every NPC in the game goes "oh poo poo a loving Malkavian" when you meet them because it means they get to figure out that you mean Therese when you say you are looking for the obsidian daughter of Janus.

The game is easily my favorite RPG ever and as a bonus for horror fans it contains a section so loving terrifying it puts modern horror games to shame.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

This is a good question. I'm going to tell you right now, I have never played any of the 'Tales of' series. But they're generally considered great RPG's by the goons here and I think most of them have a non-medieval setting in the typical sense. Though this might be a bit of a stretch.

And do try the Suikoden series even though it's set in a medieval setting. 1 is loaded with typical fantasy elements, however I think in 2 they drop most of that.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Which Final Fantasy is better, 7 or 8?

Skip that poo poo and play Tactics

Seriously though, I personally like VII a lot better.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 2, 2010

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Spirit Engine 2 ranks as one of my favorite RPGs out there, if solely for the combat system.

This game takes place entirely in 2D. The battles are very fast paced, and incorporate the whole 2D aspect as a vital part of battle tactics. Characters will run from their respective spots to attack monsters, and so will the monsters, meaning that it's entirely possible for the two to collide and damage eachother. Projectiles will collide with the first person they meet. Attacking creatures in the far back row can only be accomplished through a few skills.

Skills are selected through a radial menu. Each of the three classes (Knight, Priest, and Musketeer) have a combination of damaging skills and support skills, meaning that there's really no dedicated "healer" as such. Certain skill combinations are vital at parts of the game, since each chapter (of which there are 10 in total) features an entirely new cast of monsters with differing abilities. Some monsters have extremely high armor and resists (but low health), requiring you to use the Knight's Charge ability so that his next attack will break through a portion of it, or use the Priest's drat ability to lower the target's armor, or have your Musketeer use Empowder to make the Knight deal more damage. There's a multitude of potential tactical options, and you often find yourself changing them on the fly as the battle progresses.

One of the more interesting mechanics is that all combatants, both players and monsters, will revive after a certain length of time in combat. This enables you to come back from the brink of defeat if you're careful, but also provides a potential for monsters to gradually wear you down if you choose to ignore the gradually-reviving monsters. Some of them even take advantage of this mechanic, such as undead creatures, who will die easily but have very short respawn times.

Progression is skill point based, allowing you to invest points in individual abilities. You can never fully max out every skill, but the game generously provides respec points, enabling you to change which abilities your characters are strongest in. This is actually quite important on harder difficulties, since certain abilities function less well in certain environments (such as the Swordfaith skill, which can't be used in any of the underground areas you fight in).

Here's a video of a boss battle. You can see some of the tactics present, even in a relatively simple boss battle like the Cloud Child: The Priest constantly uses Aurora (an ability that absorbs magic damage), only using Heal when the Cloud Child's blue shield is depleted and the party isn't in danger of constant magic attacks. The Knight uses Charge and the Musketeer uses Empowder in order to make the Knight's basic attacks formidable against the boss. The order of party members is being constantly switched to mitigate damage, since successive attacks against any character will make subsequent attacks do more and more damage to them (represented by the % number below each character).

The thing I like the most about the game is that it's not a frustrating level of difficulty. The normal fights are, on average, even more difficult than the boss, but they're not impossibly difficult. What will often happen is that you'll fight something, die, and then gradually say to yourself, "This is why I died, and this is what I should do differently." All of the actual mechanics are very plainly spelled out for you, which means that all that you need to do is come up with a clever way of overcoming them.

If I have a single complaint about this game, it's that it's very much on-rails. There's a few paths you can take through most of the chapters, though they don't differ significantly, and most areas are "run to the right -> fight monsters -> run to the right." Granted, most RPGs are like this, but this particular one doesn't do a good job of obfuscating it. This doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the combat at all, but I merely wish there were a few more things to do.

The storyline in the game isn't Tolstoy, but it's an enjoyable enough RPG tale of war, betrayal, and Ancient Secrets Run Amok. The characters add significantly to this. There's 9 in total, but you can only ever make a party with three of them: one an anti-hero, one a naive altruist, and the other intelligent and often world-weary. While they do share some dialog, there's significant sections that are altered depending on who you picked. Conversations that you have with Mericious the grumpy old priest in the party differ significantly than the conversations you have with Ionae the fantastical and caustic bird/angel/demon/human thing.

All of this is topped off by Mark Pay's wonderful graphical style (it's seriously wonderful stuff to look at, especially the backgrounds) and Josh Welschel's excellently-done score. I can't really recommend this game enough, especially considering that it's completely free. If you enjoy it, though, you can still send in a donation to show your thanks, since this dude's put out an amazing game for how much effort was put into it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SomeChump posted:

It's also important to mention that this game is an indirect sequel to Space Jam.

Anyone who read that and said "eh I don't know, I might like it" just do yourself a favor and download it. I got it on a whim and then didn't actually play it until 6 months later, but it pretty much took over my weekend.

I never would have guessed that the save point speeches were actually said by anyone ironically.

JihadforChrist
Mar 19, 2010
Can we please talk about Illusion Of Gaia now?

One of the most overlooked SNES rpg's ever Illusion Of Gaia (also known as Illusion Of Time) is one of the most unique and somber games I've ever played.

It plays like a top down real time RPG (AKA Zelda) but with one difference. Leveling is done by killing EVERY enemy in an area. You can only do this once and the game uses the same philosophy for items. No item shops so what you find (and kill) is what you get. In dungeons you gain the ability to change into two different forms. One is a knight with a sword and the other not playable till the end of the game is a being made of pure energy The game is a JRPG but avoids most if not all of the cliches.

The story puts you in the role of a young boy named Will who lives in a version of Earth where the world's surface is much different from what we recognize today although the setting is based off of the post Columbus era. Will is the only person left from an expedition with his father to the Tower Of Babel and posseses psychic powers.

Will finds a portal into an alternate dimension where a talking head gives him advice and meets a princess running away from her life of luxury and after being thrown in prison by her King father breaks out and embarks on a epic journey all over the world to retrieve several mystic artifacts in such places as the Incan Ruins, Nazca Lines, Egyptian Pyramids the Great Wall Of China and an underwater castle inhabitated by a pair of married vampires who hate eachother.

You are joined by a very likeable cast of characters including a girl who can turn into a dandelion puff your inventor cousin who invents the plane/camera/everything and a pig who has "some special kind of pig power." You also use a flute as a weapon.

The game deals lightly with themes such as slavery, disease/famine loss of loved ones and the destruction of the natural world/evolution of human society and overall has a very melancholy tone througout that actually can feel a slightly oppressive at times. This is the kind of game you want to play through for its plot which is very rewarding.

If you haven't played this game please check it out. I'd say it stands up with the SNES's best.

JihadforChrist fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 2, 2010

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Crap, I was gonna make this thread whenever YCS inevitably gets deleted because jrpg talk is basically half that forum.

Anyone play Atelier Rorona? I was gonna pick it up but watching videos the overly long attack animations sorta killed it for me.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

I've tried playing this game a few times and never gotten further than half an hour. Something about it just puts me off immediately. One of these days it will stick.

One freeware series I really enjoyed was The Way. Warning. This link contains an ad that blasted me with music. http://rpgmaker.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way

It's pretty spotty in some ways and it's uneven in that there are some really good parts and then some really poorly designed, unfun parts.

It's got a few things going for it, though. The plot really interested me. It's a very varied experience and unlike most RPGs it's very harsh with NPC and PC deaths. People die. A lot.

Most of the workings of the world and what the gently caress is going on are hidden at first, and the reveals can be pretty artful. Unfortunately, there are also one or two that come close to ruining things by virtue of stupidity osmosis.

The graphics aren't that hot but the games really nail the lonely journey feeling they're going for. Some of the areas really stand out, like the city Estrana that some of the later games are based around. It's big, it's pretty, and its packed to the gills with all sorts of stuff. It's one of the more memorable areas in all the RPGs I've played.

There's also a nifty dueling system that is sadly underused in the first games. You do get a sweet tournament and some epic one on one showdowns later on as a sort of apology though.

If you decide to try it, my advice is to get through the first two games. It picks up toward the end of the second one after a hellishly and unbelievably huge wilderness map.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Jesto posted:

Mardek

I found this last month and lost a good 30 hours into it. Combining FF9's ability system with timed hits and a solid Elemental strength/weakness system made this a blast for me.

A huge plus to this is that here's no real grinding. Levels only grant you more HP and MP, so a good strategy goes a long way. 2's pretty easy/straightforward, but 3 can be surprisingly difficult and open-ended (especially in the postgame content).

For a free RPG the plot's pretty decent, too (much more than I expected, anyways, especially in 3). Try this out.

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!
No RPG thread is complete without talking about the Gothic series (and Risen, its spiritual successor, and before you ask, no, I don't consider ArcaniA a Gothic game.) They're a series of brutally hard (for differing reasons, depending on the game) German-developed open-ended RPGs.

Each of the Gothic games & Risen (save 3) boast smaller, more detailed game worlds than the Elder Scrolls series, but they're much more worthwhile to explore, as none of the loot is randomly generated. It's entirely open to you from the start, but throws up "natural" barriers in the form of stupidly strong monsters lurking in some areas just off the beaten path. But the best part is is that you can either sneak past them and gain some excellent loot for the early game, or if you're crazy enough, take them on.

Another thing I like about the series is that you can definitely feel a sense of character progression, because at the beginning, your character can barely swing a sword and can't survive being hit by anything stronger than a fly (which is where most of the difficulty comes in.) But by the end, you're swinging around a two-hander and carving through hordes of orcs without blinking an eye. I don't really get that sense from any other RPG, as most of them focus on linear monster progression.

The main problem I had with the the first two Gothics is that they both employ a really, really clunky keyboard-only control scheme that takes some getting used to.

The first two Gothics are available on GOG (both are priced at $9.99 each) and 3 & Risen are available on Steam.

One major piece of advice to people who buy Gothic 2 Gold off of GOG - for the love of all that is holy, DON'T install Night of the Raven if it's your first time to play through the game. Installing it shoots the difficulty THROUGH THE GODDAMN ROOF and makes an already hard game nigh-impossible.

One last thing - there is a (very small) RPG-oriented channel on SynIRC - #crpg, anyone is welcome, so join up.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have always wanted to play the Final Fantasy games but never do since I will play an RPG then put it on hold for a while and pick it back up. Is there a specific FF I can do this with and not be: "Duhh what the gently caress was I doing?", or does that really not matter?

E: spelling is so hard :(

Spideycloned
Aug 5, 2004

Starfleet Dental

In Dear Leader, we trust.

MeinGott posted:

I have always wanted to play the Final Fantasy games but never do since I will play an RPG then put it on hold for a while and pick it back up. Is there a specific FF I can do this with and not be: "Duhh what the gently caress was I doing?", or does that really not matter?

You could always try some of the earlier ones that were a lot more linear. You might try FF4 for the SNES, it's pretty simplistic with a decent store, good music for the time, and a plot which at the time was seen as good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MeinGott posted:

6 for the SNES/GBA should be fine. You're fairly limited in where you can go until the World of Ruin, at which point you can do whatever the hell you want and go right to the final boss if you so desire.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

MeinGott posted:

play final fantasy 13... u can never get lost... no matter where you are you can just press up and progress thru the story!

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
Are there any RPGs with a realistic modern urban setting? I'm basically looking for Grand Theft Auto: The RPG (in terms of setting, not necessarily theme or tone).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

Are there any RPGs with a realistic modern urban setting? I'm basically looking for Grand Theft Auto: The RPG (in terms of setting, not necessarily theme or tone).

Parasite Eve for the PS1. Depending on how you mean realistic, Resonance of Fate for the PS3/360, but that's sort of a mix of modern and post-apocalyptic fantasy stuff.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

ImpAtom posted:

Parasite Eve for the PS1. Depending on how you mean realistic, Resonance of Fate for the PS3/360, but that's sort of a mix of modern and post-apocalyptic fantasy stuff.

By "realistic" I mean, like, realistic. Not horror or fantasy or sci-fi or anything.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

JihadforChrist posted:

Can we please talk about Illusion Of Gaia now?

Such a loving depressing game.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

Max Payne is as close as we'll ever get, which is not very close at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

By "realistic" I mean, like, realistic. Not horror or fantasy or sci-fi or anything.

Well, the closest I can think of then is Alpha Protocol. It's probably not really what you're thinking of, but I seriously can't think of another RPG/RPG-like game set in modern day that doesn't have sci-fi, fantasy or horror elements to it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Well, the closest I can think of then is Alpha Protocol. It's probably not really what you're thinking of, but I seriously can't think of another RPG/RPG-like game set in modern day that doesn't have sci-fi, fantasy or horror elements to it.

Parasite Eve still works but it has that awful PSX era Bad Feeling to it, the early 3d games are really hard to go back to and play.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess Shenmue and the Yakuza games would kinda fit that description.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What are some more games that are in the style of the first two fallouts and Arcanum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Earthbound and Mother 3 for sure. It's hard to come up with a setting more outside standard fantasy fare than those. I won't go into detail because you probably just forgot to mention them.

Also Charles Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden which is set in post apocalyptic New York.