Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rascar posted:

I'm currently playing through Lost Odyssey on the Xbox360 and I was really digging it a lot until a bunch of little kids joined my party. I just reached the point where they sing a song to stop this girl with the glasses and cleavage from being possessed or something and my desire to continue playing this has greatly diminished. Does it get good again or should I just stop playing?

That whole segment and the stuff immediately before and after it is the most embarrassing and boring part of the game at least, but if you can tough it out for a while it does get cool again. The best character (consider him the polar opposite of the 7 year old boy warrior who is significantly inferior to Seth and Kaim in every way in terms of stats) joins you in Disc 3.

EDIT: The kids stick around but that part of the game (and the stuff prior to it) is where they're most central, and they never sing that loving song again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Dr_Amazing posted:

Anyone ever play "Bahamut's Lagoon" on the SNES?

Oh yeah, I played that! It took forever to get translated, but it was a good game. What was the deal with the old guy wearing the purple cocktail dress, though?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Miketopus posted:

Oh yeah, I played that! It took forever to get translated, but it was a good game. What was the deal with the old guy wearing the purple cocktail dress, though?

What I want to know is what the heroes were actually trying to do. The phrase "open a door to a new era" was thrown around constantly, but I was never sure if they just meant some political change, or if this was a literal magic door of some sort. I never quite made it through the whole game and got stuck on a mission against this giant cannon.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Miketopus posted:

Well if you remember, he also tries to get it on with Byuu every second mission so it's fair to say that that particular old man was a bit 'flamboyant'.

I liked BL and was considering doing a SSLP of it for a while, but decided against it due to the huge proportion of the game that's given over to combat. I quite like the plot though, as crazy and baffling as it is and the music was often pretty rocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi6CTB6LyZo

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Is any one else tired of the super super generic RPG? You can usually identify these by the fact that they're sitting in piles at Gamestop. They always have the plucky adventurer on the cover, backed by his pink haired girlfriend healer, and somewhere between three and five other cookie cutter adventurers behind him. I'm not horrifically picky when it comes to my RPGs -- I dug the Xenoseries and FF13 just fine -- but I'm bored of the generic ones taking up shelf space.

And now, I'll make an rear end of myself: I'm currently slogging through Black Sigil. It's a rare as poo poo DS RPG with two fatal flaws: it's glitchy, and hard as poo poo. I got to the last area with a game shark and I may as well finish it. Some day, when we've got really really fantastic DS emulation, and you find yourself some game shark codes to balance the hardness, it would be worth a try.

Also: Zelda. RPG or action game?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Bean posted:

Holy crap I knew this would come up. In my personal opinion it is just a adventure game, others will probably disagree.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bean posted:

And now, I'll make an rear end of myself: I'm currently slogging through Black Sigil. It's a rare as poo poo DS RPG with two fatal flaws: it's glitchy, and hard as poo poo. I got to the last area with a game shark and I may as well finish it. Some day, when we've got really really fantastic DS emulation, and you find yourself some game shark codes to balance the hardness, it would be worth a try.

I would have really enjoyed that game if it weren't for the battles every five steps. I was actually interested in what was going on plotwise, but I just couldn't take the constant barrage of dull random battles. I've never SEEN that many random battles!

It's truly unbelievable. A modern game made by obvious old-school RPG fans, they had years of prior experience to understand that people hate that poo poo, and what do they do? Make it worse.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

casual poster posted:

Holy crap I knew this would come up. In my personal opinion it is just a adventure game, others will probably disagree.

It's an action adventure, yeah. There's nothing that makes it an RPG except that it has a fantasy setting with dungeons. As loosely defined as the RPG genre is, Zelda has no statbuilding beyond increasing the life gauge, no equipment system other than new, unique weapons, very little in the way of sidequests, battles are action-based on skill and not dicerolls, no complex overarching plot. If Zelda is an RPG, then so is Metroid.

Viral Thorn
Sep 8, 2007
OH NO IT IS VIRAL THRON!!!1
Hey, remember Fallout 3 Oblivion? Yes it got old and watered-down after awhile, yes they released some dlc way past its shelf life, but it was still a pretty good sandbox game.

Well, some cool German guys spent a lot of time and effort on a complete remake of this game, called Nehrim, named after the game world itself.

There are numerous differences from Oblivion; first and foremost, the leveling system is more reminiscent of Fallout 3 than Oblivion in that you gain experience points for character levels which, upon gaining a new level, may be selected through an inventory object (journal) rather than having it thrust upon you immediately as in FO3. You still level up skills by using them, but skill levels are independent of character level; additionally, skills become measurably more powerful over time, so it is very worth it to dedicate your time to leveling skills!

Another main difference is the lack of our old friend, Fast Travel. Instead, they make it a game mechanic by 1) selling town-specific teleportation spells that require a Teleport Rune as a consumable object to cast the spell, and 2) reintroducing the Morrowind spells Mark and Recall (much later in the game; at level 14 I still have not found them). They did a great job of creating a unique world, so it doesn't feel like you're just trudging through Tamriel all over again. Also for the love of god Don't Stray From the Path at early levels - the creators were kind enough to put level tags on areas as you enter them so you know just how dangerous to expect the local fauna to be.

Better magic! The spell system has gotten an overhaul, including the complete removal of Conjuration magic. Some spells that are really powerful or have multiple effects, may also require a consumable item in order to cast them each time; this item comes in the form of Arcane Stones, which actually are not very expensive compared to the Teleport Rune which costs about 3-4 times as much. Enchanted items are a lot more worthwhile now as they get 100+ charges instead of just 20 or 40. As part of the immediate plot of the game, your character is guaranteed magic spell usage, but I find you don't really have to rely on it if you would rather focus on archery or melee combat. Definitely helps soften enemies up though, and as always using elemental weaknesses can turn a suicidal dungeon crawl into a :smug: victory scenario.

New equipment designs, and Equipment Sets! Yes, Diablo style set items that give you bonuses when you have 2 or more pieces. As if that weren't awesome enough, the designers made them look great!

Marksmanship can now easily replace melee! Sure, if you leveled your Sneak, Agility and had excellent bows and enchanted or poisoned arrows (in other words, mid to late game) you could make Marksmanship a devastating way to play the game, but Nehrim makes it viable right from the start. Rather than focusing entirely on melee as I did with almost every playthrough of Oblivion, I find that it is very handy to keep a bow as well as a melee weapon.

Craft skills! That's right, there are half a dozen ways to cook food, half a dozen different things you can do relating to smelting/forging, and also half a dozen "hunting" skills which, once you purchase and read the appropriate skill book, will allow you to start harvesting things from animals and monsters besides their tasty flesh (which can be cooked!). For example, the "Skinning" skill will allow you to take pelts from appropriate woodland creatures, whereas "Take Heart" will not give you encouragement but instead the precise knowledge of how to extract a whole heart from some hapless monster with a valuable cardiovascular organ.

No more stupid elves! Well ok that's just a flat lie, but the elves of Nehrim (called Aeterna) are a lot cooler and more bearable than the retard-voice elves of Oblivion, and are a hated and oppressed people. For that matter, the voice acting in this game is entirely better and more varied than Oblivion - the only drawback for non-German speakers is that it is spoken entirely in German, with English subtitles.

tl;dr

All in all, if you liked the way Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 played, you will definitely want to check out Nehrim. Although originally made in German, very recently their English translation has been finished and provided to the public. This completely different, new game hearkens to the core of western RPGs. Beware though, it's kind of lethal at low levels but does a good job of helping you feel your character progression.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

Bahamut Lagoon

Does it get challenging at any point? I played the first three chapters years ago, but I stopped because the enemy A.I. seemed completely useless. Such a shame too, because there are tons of good ideas (feeding dragons, switching to RPG-style battles for close combat) and little touches(burnable trees, freezable water).Maybe I should give it another try sometime.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Ugh, I wish someone made a guide on Aletier Rorona. I can't read the drat menu.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Bean posted:

Is any one else tired of the super super generic RPG? You can usually identify these by the fact that they're sitting in piles at Gamestop. They always have the plucky adventurer on the cover, backed by his pink haired girlfriend healer, and somewhere between three and five other cookie cutter adventurers behind him. I'm not horrifically picky when it comes to my RPGs -- I dug the Xenoseries and FF13 just fine -- but I'm bored of the generic ones taking up shelf space.

I wish there were more RPGs like that coming out. The only one I've seen recently is Arc Rise Fantasia, which I'm playing currently and beyond the terrible voice acting I'm quite enjoying it. I mean, it has a world map! In 2010!

edit: also it kind of sounds like you're describing Tales of Vesperia, and that game is basically the best next-gen RPG :colbert:

Zelda is an action-adventure, definitely.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 3, 2010

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Bean posted:

Is any one else tired of the super super generic RPG? You can usually identify these by the fact that they're sitting in piles at Gamestop. They always have the plucky adventurer on the cover, backed by his pink haired girlfriend healer, and somewhere between three and five other cookie cutter adventurers behind him.

Action game.

Anyway, it depends. Certain games, like Tales of Phantasia, are traditional SNES RPGs with something about them that's just compelling. I don't even like the other Tales games that much, but Phantasia was fantastic. Maybe because you can tell they were pioneer games. They did what they did, but they also did it first. Terranigma is the same way. I mean, what the hell kind of awesome games involves fighting the goddamn queen of Spain?

Take note, that's how you spoiler something awesome from Terranigma.

But I'm not all into old games. I loved Dragon Quest VIII, for example. It's one of like two Dragon Quest games I've beat legitimately.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Miketopus posted:

Anyway, it depends. Certain games, like Tales of Phantasia, are traditional SNES RPGs with something about them that's just compelling. I don't even like the other Tales games that much, but Phantasia was fantastic.
Its probably because Namco pissed off most of the people responsible for Phantasia, so they left and formed tri-Ace. Spiritually, Star Ocean is way closer to Phantasia than any of the other Tales games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been out of PC RPGs for about seven years now, and am just getting back in. I'm busy witching right now, but what should I do after that? Gothic 3? Something else?

edit: among PC exclusives, I mean.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Risen, I really thought the idea of the game was cool, but some people said that it's not that great and unfun in the dungeons. If anyone here has played Nehrim, I like that, a lot. I also like lots of loot and engaging combat, which is fun and not Baldur's Gate-ish or any of that stupid poo poo.(I also throroughly didn't enjoy Dragon Age's combat.) If anyone knows of any games like this or if Risen is that game, please let me know.

Also, on the topic of RPGs, Morrowind although subject to a lot of hatred and opinions, is easily one of the best RPGs of all time if not ever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

^ :hf:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been out of PC RPGs for about seven years now, and am just getting back in. I'm busy witching right now, but what should I do after that? Gothic 3? Something else?

Recettear is pretty good if you like the Atelier games, Kings Bounty is a pretty awesome series of SRPGs, and then there's Torchlight and all the other Diabloesques. But the last really big PC RPG I remember enjoying was Morrowind, everything since has kinda sucked (Oblivion, Fallout, Gothic).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bean posted:

Some of these can be rather endearing, while others are complete and utter piles of poo poo. I think a lot of it has to do with conforming to tropes out of laziness instead of owning them in a self-aware fashion. Sorta like that fat kid with a hell of a swagger.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Myron posted:

Does it get challenging at any point? I played the first three chapters years ago, but I stopped because the enemy A.I. seemed completely useless. Such a shame too, because there are tons of good ideas (feeding dragons, switching to RPG-style battles for close combat) and little touches(burnable trees, freezable water).Maybe I should give it another try sometime.

It can be pretty difficult if you don't feed your dragons excessively. The desert missions were pretty big bitches, and some of the final missions before leaving for Altair are difficult as hell. If you feed the flame dragon up until he gains his Ultimate form, though, the game becomes a huge joke since he's completely invincible (who decided this was a good idea?).

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Risen is good if you haven't played it on consoles (though the port was technically inferior). STALKER: Call of Pripyat is a great almost action-RPG, there are no actual stats per se, but there is gear collecting/management and dealing with various factions.

Assuming you didn't play Dragon Age on a console, you could probably play that. Though while it's really, REALLY technically solid, I honestly have a hard time recommending it. It seems at times to lack... something.

You should definitely get/install Oblivion for Nehrim, it's German RPG goodness, and probably one of the best free total conversion RPGs ever made.

If you're in the mood for Diablo-like rogue-likes, Titan Quest or Torchlight are pretty much your best bets. Titan Quest is a really good reinvention of the the genre, while Torchlight is a throwback to the original Diablo.

Recently there's been the two Eschalon Books, which remind me of GeneForge/Avernum with slightly better graphics and art direction.

And then there's King's Bounty, which is basically a turn-based RPG, with interesting combat. It borrows from Heroes of Might and Magic, but has it's own interesting RPG mechanics.

(I've also heard good things about Divine Divinity 2, but from loving the original, which you should play if you haven't, and going to Beyond Divinity, I've been reluctant to play it.)

rargphlam fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 4, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

^ :hf:

Recettear is pretty good if you like the Atelier games, Kings Bounty is a pretty awesome series of SRPGs, and then there's Torchlight and all the other Diabloesques. But last really big PC RPG I remember enjoying was Morrowind, everything since has kinda sucked (Oblivion, Fallout, Gothic).
Way ahead of you on Recettear, that rules. Which is the best Diablo clone right now (until 3 comes out of course)? Is it Torchlight?

edit: already played DAO on the PS3. I actually messed around a bit with Nehrim (I had a copy of Oblivion from way back when), but I was having technical problems with my new PC at the time and thought that it was the mod being unstable, so I erased it. I guess I should try it again now that those are fixed.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 4, 2010

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you're happy with singleplayer, Torchlight is the absolute best mechanically, Titan Quest is a close runner up and has co-op, but with less interesting loot and no randomly generated dungeons.

Of course, all that is until Diablo 3 reclaims the throne in a couple of months.

casual poster posted:

Is DOA like oblivion? I really hate wrpg's but people have been pressuring me to play it.
its baulders gate 2010

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 4, 2010

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Is DOA like oblivion? I really hate wrpg's but people have been pressuring me to play it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dragon or Alive: Xtreme Beach Swordplay

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 30, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xythar posted:

Dragon or Alive: Xtreme Beach Swordplay
DOA and DAO crossover, hell yeah!

There seriously need to be more RPGs based on fighting games though, I always got a kick out of those. There was the Samurai Showdown RPG back on the PS1, and Namco X Capcom kinda counts (though that is seriously flawed in many ways). Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any turn based rpgs on the PC?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

^ Unless you mean like totally formulaic turn based JRPGs, King's Bounty.

Speaking of RPGs that should not be RPGs...

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 4, 2010

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Jesto posted:

Everlong, in my original post on page 1. You can disable combat altogether by simply toggling them off. No random battles, no fixed battles, boss battles you can skip if you want - though without the reward. You can go start to finish in the game without ever entering a battle.

All that leaves you with is doing the many dozens of puzzles, which can likewise be skipped, hunting animals for meat to sell and experiencing the plot, however.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgNG00XNywY
Why are you shilling this game.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

DOA and DAO crossover, hell yeah!

There seriously need to be more RPGs based on fighting games though, I always got a kick out of those. There was the Samurai Showdown RPG back on the PS1, and Namco X Capcom kinda counts (though that is seriously flawed in many ways). Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Blazblue is practically a JRPG already so I agree.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 30, 2014

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

Anyone ever play "Bahamut's Lagoon" on the SNES?

Absolutely. I loved that sometimes you's be fighting and a dragon would totally jump in and lay waste to the enmtire enemy squad. Or, sometimes they'd look in, decide you were doing ok and then next turn randomly attack another enemy squad.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Miketopus posted:

Action game.

fighting the goddamn queen of Spain?

Take note, that's how you spoiler something awesome from Terranigma.

You shouldn't even have written that. That's how you refrain from mentioning specifics that someone can literally mouse over and ruin for themselves. :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I thought Doom 2 RPG was going to be a more or less straight turn-based implementation of Doom. Then I got a holy water pistol and the ability to throw toilets.

Doom RPG owns too, you get a fireaxe, a fire extinguisher, and attack dogs. :D

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any turn based rpgs on the PC?

Anachronox was already mentioned as a western game with jRPG-style combat (with a modded-in speed function to get past all the animations). Proper turn based RPGs practically died out in the mid-1990s, together with the Realms of Arcania, Might & Magic and Wizardry franchises. To my knowledge, Wizardry 8 and Temple of Elemental Evil are the last turn based non-indie PCRPGs ever released :worship: There's also Arcanum, but that also offers a real time mode that is apparently more fun than playing it turn based.

If you're not afraid of Indie games, there's a bunch more, mostly by Spiderweb Software. There's also Age of Decadence, which already has a great combat demo out.

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 4, 2010

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Zombies' Downfall posted:

That whole segment and the stuff immediately before and after it is the most embarrassing and boring part of the game at least, but if you can tough it out for a while it does get cool again. The best character (consider him the polar opposite of the 7 year old boy warrior who is significantly inferior to Seth and Kaim in every way in terms of stats) joins you in Disc 3.

EDIT: The kids stick around but that part of the game (and the stuff prior to it) is where they're most central, and they never sing that loving song again.

I got hung up on random battles in some haunted mansion a ways in. But I have to say, I really enjoyed the characters in Lost Odyssey. How much I like the characters can often be a deal breaker for me with rpgs, and its often why I can often tolerate old snes games with their simple characters more so then modern rpgs.

So, is there any way to make the random battles not kick my rear end so much? I want to start it back up some day.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Grind a bit? Lost Odyssey becomes ridiculously easy in the late game because you can just add more and more skills to your immortals until they become completely broken. You can, and I kid you not, equip skills in your skill slots that give you more skill slots.

The first two or so bosses are kind of tough but nothing after them is as difficult.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If you're into 1st/3rd person hack and slash RPG's I'd like to suggest Mount and Blade: Warband. It's a sandbox medieval RPG where you create your character and then form a personal army to do what you like. Trade, form a mercenary company, or take over an entire kingdom.

There is even a mod called cRPG/Strategus that attempts to move the single player campaign into multiplayer, which is simultaneously awesome and insane. We created a goon clan and here's what we've been up to:

In one month we've gone from the runt clan of the game to one of the largest groups in the game. We're looking for more goons to join us in conquering and pillaging the countryside.

As of right now we're gathering our strength to storm a castle.

You can check us out here.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Are there any old-school RPGs with random worlds/dungeons? Basically a roguelike with a Wizardry/MM- or even XCOM/Avernus AP-style combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

sixide posted:

Are there any old-school RPGs with random worlds/dungeons? Basically a roguelike with a Wizardry/MM- or even XCOM/Avernus AP-style combat system.

Download Daggerfall. May God have mercy on your soul.