Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Wendell posted:

Tales of the Abyss' load times are infuriating. There's really no excuse for them.

Also, the story is comprised entirely of random garbage techno babble. If you should find yourself having forgotten a single imaginary term you will become entirely lost in the sea of jargon and be unable to follow the conversations and story.

It also has a forced stealth section that made me quit forever.

I don't know if I ever really figured out what the hell most of the people in that game were talking about. At least the rest of the game was enjoyable enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what type of character to play in Arcanum? Or what to avoid?

Play a talky charismatic person with a ton of followers you equip with lightweight melee weapons. Or just put a few points in magic and the harm spell and win the game.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Bats posted:

Yeah I totally need to go back and actually beat FFIX. FFVIII can go gently caress itself, and well FFVII was my first rpg/favourite ps1 rpg ever ever etc. Also loved the poo poo out of Brave Fencer Musashiden.

Any other recommends on that system? Stuff I may have missed that were not worth missing?

Xenogears goes without saying, as it's probably the best example of a story heavy RPG that is actually good. (Plus it has a soundtrack that rivals CT, CC, and FFT) There's also Suikoden 2. Wild Arms is worth playing but I don't think it aged well. Battle animations are excruciatingly slow and the encounter rate is very high. Story is standard JRPG cliche city too. Yeah, the style has a lot of charm, but I'd try out others before that one.

I don't know if you'd like Dragon Quest 7, as it's an acquired taste, but surprisingly enough when I thought of story centric RPGs, DQ7 is one of the first to come to mind. You go the first 2 hours of the game without even getting into a battle, to give you an idea of just how heavily it's focused on story. There's a little grind at the end though.

And Mother 3 is required playing if you haven't tried it yet.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

Although you're right about the plot, if you fail the stealth section three or so times, the game lets you fight your way through it instead. (Assuming we're thinking about the same place.)

Y'know, I figured someone would tell me the game did that. I wasn't enjoying it enough to keep trying so I never learned of the out you say it gives you. Oh well.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lemur Crisis posted:

For some reason I hadn't thought to use that or the immobilizing one. Making progress now!

Also everyone should try out The Spirit Engine 2.

Seriously, everyone should play this. The story is nothing spectacular but the setting is interesting, and the dialogue is pretty well written without falling into the trap of being overly verbose. But what really sets it apart is the incredibly tactical and fast paced combat that doesn't resort to forced grinding to generate challenge. Not to mention the customization, with multiple characters to choose from the start, a diverse number of skills for every character, and tons of items that have interesting trade offs. It really is a pretty good RPG.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Xenogears goes without saying, as it's probably the best example of a story heavy RPG that is actually good.

It's good until the second disk. Then it tells you the story rather than letting you play it out. It was like they finished the first disk and someone noticed they ran out of budget or time and put the second together in a week :( I was really disappointed when I got there back when I first played the game (also my PS1 always liked to crash at a certain point in one of the huge monologues someone gave)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Xenix posted:

It's good until the second disk. Then it tells you the story rather than letting you play it out. It was like they finished the first disk and someone noticed they ran out of budget or time and put the second together in a week :( I was really disappointed when I got there back when I first played the game (also my PS1 always liked to crash at a certain point in one of the huge monologues someone gave)

Because Squaresoft did yank the carpet (and their budget) out from under them when they were still working on the second disk

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

niggapolis posted:

Seriously, everyone should play this. The story is nothing spectacular but the setting is interesting, and the dialogue is pretty well written without falling into the trap of being overly verbose. But what really sets it apart is the incredibly tactical and fast paced combat that doesn't resort to forced grinding to generate challenge. Not to mention the customization, with multiple characters to choose from the start, a diverse number of skills for every character, and tons of items that have interesting trade offs. It really is a pretty good RPG.
I had my doubts until this: https://wi.somethingawful.com/74/74c7a3e1be12a82050c31c53c8203b0eaf6a3b52.png

While it's nothing revolutionary, there's just nothing that stands out as bad about the characters or dialogue, and that's really nice and refreshing to me.

Tranax
Sep 1, 2008
Has anyone here played through the romhack Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes? I'd just like to know if it's worth playing. So far I've only gone through the intro and went to Leene Square only to find a bunch of NPC's that still had placeholder text. It's the only build I can find though.

I'm still interested just cause of the amount of TLC that seemed to be going into it before the C&D, but if it's just a dozen hours of placeholder texts and renamed enemies gently caress it.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Tranax posted:

Has anyone here played through the romhack Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes? I'd just like to know if it's worth playing. So far I've only gone through the intro and went to Leene Square only to find a bunch of NPC's that still had placeholder text. It's the only build I can find though.

I'm still interested just cause of the amount of TLC that seemed to be going into it before the C&D, but if it's just a dozen hours of placeholder texts and renamed enemies gently caress it.
There's actually an updated version floating around called Flames of Eternity. I haven't played it.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Wild Arms is worth playing but I don't think it aged well. Battle animations are excruciatingly slow and the encounter rate is very high. Story is standard JRPG cliche city too. Yeah, the style has a lot of charm, but I'd try out others before that one.

The plot is cliche on the surface but has a lot of little details that add to the charm. I dont know how to describe it other than that where with other jprg clones you get tongue in cheek, with wild arms you get sincerity. Its alot of the same stuff sure but its done so much better.

Wild arms 3 can be a fairly brutal game at times. The enemies are relentless with status effects and it can be kind of a put off.

I tried playing crimson echoes. Couldnt get very far. It reeks of bad fanfiction. Put it down lest it infect my memories of the original.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

DocFrance posted:

SD3 is a great game and everyone should play it. You've got six characters to choose from for a three-man party, and each character has four different classes to develop them into. Each party plays differently.

The best party is Hawk/Lise/Angela, not because it's particularly useful (no healing urgh), but because Hawk is a fuckin pimp.

The easiest party is probably something like Kevin/Lise/Carlie. Kevin kind of makes the game easy anyways. He's too good.

Another interesting thing about SD3 is that there's three possible final bosses, depending on who your main character is. Kevin and Carlie have the same one, and so do Angela/Duran and Lise/Hawk.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

glod posted:

Another interesting thing about SD3 is that there's three possible final bosses, depending on who your main character is. Kevin and Carlie have the same one, and so do Angela/Duran and Lise/Hawk.

Doesn't that also somehow play in with the overall difficulty of the game? As in, Kevin/Carlie being easy, Angela/Duran medium and Lise/Hawk being hard? I can't remember for sure, but the game is a truly awesome game. I was so pumped about it in my teens I almost bought the JP version off of eBay so I could play it on my actual SNES.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Having Angela/Duran as your main character is also the only way to fight the secret ultra-boss, the black rabite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

Speaking of Wild Arms, anyone have tips for me about to start out in Wild Arms 3? I bought it when it first came out and played it a bit but I remember having a lot of trouble/not getting far/giving up. I don't have anything to play at the moment and figure I'll start a new save after work today.

Not sure why I had trouble with it. I do remember really liking the wild west setting and atmosphere though.

I'm not entirely sure what gave you trouble, but I wouldn't stress about it. The game is generally pretty forgiving. I'm sure if you play it this time, you'll do fine.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DocFrance posted:

Having Angela/Duran as your main character is also the only way to fight the secret ultra-boss, the black rabite.

I remember that boss giving me so much trouble. I got the game practically right after it came out and before anyone knew what a good party combination was, just picking the characters that looked cool. Went into that battle with Duran/Angela/Hawkeye--no healing and no buffs. :downs:

I did eventually manage to beat it eventually, but it never dropped whatever super treasure it was supposed to.

Cool Cool Cool
Apr 17, 2008

by T. Finn
Speaking of charm, what are some other delightfully charming rpg's? The only one's I've ever liked enough to complete were Skies of Arcadia and Final Fantasy IX, if that gives any indication. I can play pretty much anything that isn't on PS3 or 360 or too new on PC.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
What exactly do you mean by charm?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Speaking of charm, what are some other delightfully charming rpg's? The only one's I've ever liked enough to complete were Skies of Arcadia and Final Fantasy IX, if that gives any indication. I can play pretty much anything that isn't on PS3 or 360 or too new on PC.
Hello play Mother 3.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Recettear? :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Dragon Quest 8 was pretty charming, at least it was to me.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All three suggestions so far for a charming RPG are good.

Maybe also look into Dragon Quest IV and V? They've been remade on the DS, or you can play the original SNES Dragon Quest V via fan translation, OR the PS2 remake via fan translation. Lots of options!

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Dragon Quest IX is what first comes to mind for me when you say "charming RPG". As long as you like puns a lot (like, really a lot).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lemur Crisis posted:

Dragon Quest IX is what first comes to mind for me when you say "charming RPG". As long as you like puns a lot (like, really a lot).

You'll love DQ8 then, because the puns are really bad in 9.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Super Mario RPG!

Paper Mario games as well.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

DO IT TO IT posted:

Speaking of Wild Arms, anyone have tips for me about to start out in Wild Arms 3?

I have three bits of advice for you that may serve you well:

1. Clive is a powerhouse. Give him most of your raw attack boosting stuff. Virginia is pretty good too, but she's more balanced. Jet's quick, but lacks the punch of the other two.

2. Gallows is your best magic user. He's also slower than anything else on the planet. Try to solve this issue.

3. Rename the spells by hand. They sound stupid.

I beat the game, but it was years ago when I did. Sorry I don't remember many specifics beyond that. The GameFAQs docs were fairly spot on, at least.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

No mention of the Parasite Eve games makes me sad. :(

The first one was a pretty decent modern-day turn-based RPG with real time battles (dodge around enemies and then take a shot when your ATB meter is full). Though you only played one character there was also a gun customization system where you could transfer bonus stats and abilities from one gun to the other with special items until you had something that could take down a boss in half a clip. It also had a lot of Resident Evil-esque elements with the monster design and story but still managed to create a creepy atmosphere at times.

PE2 was even more RE-like, right down to the original tank controls and the story went a little more than off-tangent from PE1's. I still liked it though.

3rd Birthday is currently in the works for PSP but watching the trailers makes me iffy about it. It might turn out good, we'll have to see.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Miketopus posted:

I have three bits of advice for you that may serve you well:

1. Clive is a powerhouse. Give him most of your raw attack boosting stuff. Virginia is pretty good too, but she's more balanced. Jet's quick, but lacks the punch of the other two.

2. Gallows is your best magic user. He's also slower than anything else on the planet. Try to solve this issue.

3. Rename the spells by hand. They sound stupid.

I beat the game, but it was years ago when I did. Sorry I don't remember many specifics beyond that. The GameFAQs docs were fairly spot on, at least.

It was always my experience that Clive was slower than Gallows. Either way, have Clive target a separate enemy than everyone else, because he will almost assuredly kill it all by himself.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
WA3 gets absurdly easy once you can learn fun passive skills like "complete immunity to (element)". I remember one later-game boss is polite enough to ask you which element he should use each turn. Most considerate boss ever.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

Because Squaresoft did yank the carpet (and their budget) out from under them when they were still working on the second disk

Then it makes total sense. How annoying :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Any of the Mother games but GRANDIA GRANDIA GRANDIA.

It's the only coming-of-age RPG story I can stomach because the characters are all likeable, even the villains. There's quite a bit of character development with people coming and going based on their motivation and actual need to be in the story (no "my side-plot is finished so I'll join the party but remain silent forever" characters like in nearly every other RPG). It's also the only RPG I can think of with camp fire and dining scenes which are kind of like the skits in Star Ocean or later Tales games that serve to expand on the characters as they talk about marriage and spicy desert food. Finally, it's the only PS1 game off the top of my head with a genuine love story that's not "We're nearing the final boss, I always loved you spikey headed hero." The relationship between the two protagonists grows slowly throughout the entire first disc, explodes in the second disc, then it rollercoasters as crazy poo poo starts happening in the 2nd disc.

Greatest point in the entire game is when Justin, our intrepid hero whose been totally cool up to this point, botches a fight, loses his girlfriend to one of the former villains, and is totally depressed. They march him through the mud, in the rain, as literally every named character (including a few former villains) berate him as he walks by. He immediately gets his poo poo in gear and musters the courage to enter the final dungeon. I refuse to play the game a 2nd time because I know it'll ruin my memories.

Ignore everything after Grandia, blech.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The course of RPGs these days is driving me insane.

The western RPGs seem to be hemorrhaging game mechanics. Somewhere along the line they decided to hide all numbers from the player. Skills become bars that fill up, and spells never tell you the damage equations (Dragon age, I'm looking at you). Even when they do let you see some numbers, there's rarely a way to see what the numbers actually mean (Dragon Age, I'm still looking at you). I liked going through all the spells in BG2 and figuring out the most rear end in a top hat way to frontload damage. One of my fondest RPG memories is killing Demogorgon during his intro dialog after thirteen failed attempts at killing him the normal way. Playing with the mechanics is the draw for me (in addition to, y'know, story and setting and stuff), but all the western RPGs seem to be drifting towards action games with the rpg mechanics, just as shooters are inexplicably gaining rpg-smelling features. In a bizarre twist of cosmic irony everything is turning into Deus Ex. I mean, there's worse equilibrium points to head towards, but still.

At the same time, while Japanese RPGs are carrying the mathhammer torch, they're also still doing the thing that made me hate them in the first place. I'm so tired of the plucky, androgynous protagonist, the pensive female who periodically turns away from whoever's speaking to her and clasps her hands and says "...", of people pointlessly repeating poo poo and stating the obvious (and RPGs aren't the only games doi-A BLUE RUPEE IS WORTH FIVE RUPEES). I loved FF12 because it took the parts of the FF combat system I liked, removed the mechanics I hated (eg random battles), and had a story that was all political intrigue and no power of friendship bullshit. As an added bonus the plucky androgynous protagonist was openly mocked and scorned by the rest of the party. Yet I constantly see folks talking about how much they hated it.

If someone has recommendations to make I'd love to hear them, but mostly I'm just here to complain.

edit: I've played all the Bioware, Black Isle, Obsidian, Troika, and Bethesda. I loved the poo poo out of Chrono Trigger and enjoyed Disgaea, so it's not like anything remotely anime gives me the runs. Help a curmudgeonly soul. :smith:

AngryBooch posted:

Play a talky charismatic person with a ton of followers you equip with lightweight melee weapons. Or just put a few points in magic and the harm spell and win the game.

I'm not totally sure what I did or if another party member had some kind of haste spell that he never cast on me, but after I gave the lizard dude the best bow I could find he killed poo poo with incredibly speed. Like, I seriously think it might be bugged.

Also, in real time mode some firearms are bugged and will let you fire as fast as you can click.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 6, 2010

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Xenix posted:

Then it makes total sense. How annoying :(

Yeah, they had the boss fights finished, and the Cutscenes were finished up because, I'm guessing, they were contracted to an animation studio, which left a lot of the in-between story and interactions. Its so story heavy all they could do was narrate it and hand a big load of text to people.

Game has one hell of an epic story though, its mind boggling.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Speaking of which, Blue Footed Booby, the new Space Marines game was gonna be an TPS actionrpg

but instead, they did away with all the customizing they planned on from the start and said "it would deter from what they're trying to make".

But if it's just a straight up TPS then it's simply going to be a Gears of War clone. Didn't they learn anything from DOW2 that the best loving part was customizing your characters? How else can you be placed in the shoes of a space marine, where each individual, each chapter is unique from each other and not be able to customize everything about yourself?

It's pretty stupid and I hate it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:words:

I found the new King's Bounty games scratched my min-maxing itch pretty well. Nearly all the mechanics are made visible to you, and there's a lot of scope for breaking the game in various ways.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Speaking of which, Blue Footed Booby, the new Space Marines game was gonna be an TPS actionrpg

but instead, they did away with all the customizing they planned on from the start and said "it would deter from what they're trying to make".

But if it's just a straight up TPS then it's simply going to be a Gears of War clone. Didn't they learn anything from DOW2 that the best loving part was customizing your characters? How else can you be placed in the shoes of a space marine, where each individual, each chapter is unique from each other and not be able to customize everything about yourself?

It's pretty stupid and I hate it.

Stalker was originally going to be a full-on RPG, with skills and even mandatory eating. There are so goddamn many examples where I was all :swoon: and then the devs turned it into an action game with minor RPG elements.

Long ago, there was Alex Denton. *Know* that he made the Pronouncement of One Genre.

Thuryl posted:

I found the new King's Bounty games scratched my min-maxing itch pretty well. Nearly all the mechanics are made visible to you, and there's a lot of scope for breaking the game in various ways.

What I've seen reads like Heros of M & M. Is that on the right track?

Also, is it German? Because Two Worlds made me want to die, and Gothik 2 somehow manages to make me nauseous in like fifteen minutes. I've become Germaphobic.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What I've seen reads like Heros of M & M. Is that on the right track?

Also, is it German? Because Two Worlds made me want to die.

Yes and no. The combat is like HOMM, but outside of combat you play as a single hero and go around doing quests and so on. It's actually a pretty faithful spiritual successor to the original King's Bounty, which was a spiritual predecessor to the HOMM series.

Also, it's Russian. The translation isn't perfect but it has its own charm.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Seven pages and I haven't seen (or skimmed over a post containing) any mention of The Witcher. For shame.

The Witcher rules, it's an actiony-RPG but with a ton of detail put into the world. Made by Polish developers who deserve your money, the sequel looks incredible.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
All you people playing console RPG's :(

I grew up with computer RPG's like Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Pool of Darkness.. beat all of those multiple times. Also loved (and beat) Darksun and Darksun 2. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

al-azad posted:

Any of the Mother games but GRANDIA GRANDIA GRANDIA.

Oh god yes. Grandia original is the best in the series. Don't worry, I played it last year and it was still a blast. Give it another go.