Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are scripts only (publicly) available online if they're submitted for consideration for awards? Is there a particular site I can scour for movie scripts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
The Black List Has Some
So Does The Script Lab

There's other places too, but those are the two I go to most frequently...

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 28, 2016

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
A couple more that I go to.

http://www.scridx.com/

http://www.script-o-rama.com/table.shtml

Also, some screenwriters post their own stuff for study and review. Rian Johnson is one of these and his scripts are great reads and super helpful for ideas on formatting and such.

http://www.rcjohnso.com/

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

A couple more that I go to.

http://www.scridx.com/

http://www.script-o-rama.com/table.shtml

Also, some screenwriters post their own stuff for study and review. Rian Johnson is one of these and his scripts are great reads and super helpful for ideas on formatting and such.

http://www.rcjohnso.com/
So awesome. Thanks.

Reading Stranger Things (Montauk) 0101 now.

I have so much to learn.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
So I've finished my 1 hour pilot and finally formatted it properly if anyone is down to read and give some comments I can link you the plaintext google doc or the .pdf.

If interested email me at rdonalddesjardin@gmail.com and I'll be happy to return the favor in the future or now.

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

So I've finished my 1 hour pilot and finally formatted it properly if anyone is down to read and give some comments I can link you the plaintext google doc or the .pdf.

If interested email me at rdonalddesjardin@gmail.com and I'll be happy to return the favor in the future or now.

I'll be sending you an email.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Thanks to everyone that's already stepped in to offer help.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I'm majoring in film, and... I've never written a full length story before

Can anyone recommend any writing exercises (besides reading)?

NeuroticErotica posted:

If you can get involved in your local filmmaking scene it's... theoretically possible.

It won't be easy. If you're not fluent in the local language it'll be super difficult.

I live in Georgia (US), so yay? :v:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 6, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

How do I break into freelance script doctoring? I'm not particularly interested (or talented, for that matter) in taking a story from gestation to completion in a screenplay, but I enjoy working within and refining an author's voice. I come by this by way of working in editing scientific grant proposals for my lab.

Typically, funding agencies require proposals fit in a couple dozen pages (even for seven or eight figure grants), which must include everything from the gestalt of the project to detailed background and precedents for the scientific theories that belie the experiments to line-item budgeting. First drafts can run upwards of a hundred pages and have to be mercilessly hacked down to forty. Different parts of the proposals must be intelligible for vastly different audiences; some sections must be written for laypersons and some must communicate technical details to researchers at the top of the field. Needless to say, every word on every page must have utility in supporting the project narrative and the challenge to achieve this is exhilarating for me.

I come into this with the understanding that doctoring could never make me rich or famous, but want to try it nonetheless. Where's a good place to cut my teeth in this without an industry resume and also help me determine if I'm actually capable of doing it?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It's a tough racket now. Before you could get it with a few scripts under your belt; now, often, it's that AND a proposal process. Hollywood loves trying to get writers to work for free.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I definitely recognize that there are far more competent writers competing for those big studio jobs and that I'd have no chance in even getting past the circular-file part of the application without a writing resume.

Ideally, I'd garner some sort of reputation from having worked with a large number of writers and that one or two with whom I have worked (or their friends/acquaintances) would break through into bigger-budget scenarios and bring me on as a consultant for a bigger or longer-term project. Realistically, I'd read and punch up scripts for amateur and just-above-amateur writers and pick up a couple bucks for it as circumstances permit.

What I would most like advice on is: 1. Finding people to give me scripts to develop my skills and gauge my potential in doctoring 2. How to develop a reputation/portfolio in a niche notorious for its lack of credit and recognition 3. Getting people to pay me some meager but not laughable amount of money for this in the medium-to-long-term.

I have a perception (and would like to be made aware if this view is uninformed or wrong) of the process and the industry as a whole that writing and editing are independent skills and that people who are tremendously skilled in original writing may not necessarily be as gifted in working in another author's voice and ideas and will inevitably insert their own voice and ideas into a script, to the detriment of the work as a whole. I'd want to function most as a facilitator and refiner, but I feel this role is incredibly difficult to demonstrate and sell.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You'd think so, but writers are trusted to find their own editors (and to collaborate with their agents and studios.)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Race Realists posted:

Can anyone recommend any writing exercises (besides reading)?

I know you said you want to do exercises instead of reading, so, check out this article about the six emotional story arcs, and write a 2-paragraph synopsis for each type?

Research Reveals Six Core Story Emotional Arcs
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/25/the-six-stories-people-love-most/?utm_term=.989a56b8d325

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

magnificent7 posted:

I know you said you want to do exercises instead of reading, so, check out this article about the six emotional story arcs, and write a 2-paragraph synopsis for each type?

Research Reveals Six Core Story Emotional Arcs
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/25/the-six-stories-people-love-most/?utm_term=.989a56b8d325

:stare:

this thread is seeing actual activity

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Race Realists posted:

I live in Georgia (US), so yay? :v:

Great if you wanna be a grip.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

NeuroticErotica posted:

Great if you wanna be a grip.

Atlanta does have a pretty decent filmmaking scene. But yeah, more for film workers than film makers.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Race Realists posted:

:stare:

this thread is seeing actual activity

I'm going to shamelessly take credit for this...

In other news I've been tossing around the idea of starting up a Thunderdome style weekly short-writing competition strictly for script formats. If anybody is down it would be great to work together on that sort of thing.

I'd also highly advise anyone in this thread not familiar with it to give a shot at Thunderdome for a couple of weeks. It has definitely helped my storytelling skills and the people there are fun and helpful.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 11, 2017

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

I'm going to shamelessly take credit for this...

In other news I've been tossing around the idea of starting up a Thunderdome style weekly short-writing competition strictly for script formats. If anybody is down it would be great to work together on that sort of thing.

I'd also highly advise anyone in this thread not familiar with it to give a shot at Thunderdome for a couple of weeks. It has definitely helped my storytelling skills and the people there are fun and helpful.

I think this is a great idea, even if it is less of a formal contest and more of a writing exercise to keep us honest. Like a weekly "Write 5 pages max on a theme" sort of thing.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

That sounds cool. I've done some thunderdome in the past but I have a hard time committing to it because flash fiction is not something that comes easy to me stylistically. But it might be fun to try in a script format.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I'll work up an effortpost on it then.

In the meantime I though together a <1500 word scene in screen(ish) formatting for the latest thunderdome prompt.

Thunderdome conventions generally frown upon critiquing before judgement comes down (late sunday night/early sunday morning) but if anybody wants to take a look at it I think its a pretty good scene for being 14th century vampire politicking...

Ruckmaker
Aug 25, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

I definitely recognize that there are far more competent writers competing for those big studio jobs and that I'd have no chance in even getting past the circular-file part of the application without a writing resume.

Ideally, I'd garner some sort of reputation from having worked with a large number of writers and that one or two with whom I have worked (or their friends/acquaintances) would break through into bigger-budget scenarios and bring me on as a consultant for a bigger or longer-term project. Realistically, I'd read and punch up scripts for amateur and just-above-amateur writers and pick up a couple bucks for it as circumstances permit.

What I would most like advice on is: 1. Finding people to give me scripts to develop my skills and gauge my potential in doctoring 2. How to develop a reputation/portfolio in a niche notorious for its lack of credit and recognition 3. Getting people to pay me some meager but not laughable amount of money for this in the medium-to-long-term.

I have a perception (and would like to be made aware if this view is uninformed or wrong) of the process and the industry as a whole that writing and editing are independent skills and that people who are tremendously skilled in original writing may not necessarily be as gifted in working in another author's voice and ideas and will inevitably insert their own voice and ideas into a script, to the detriment of the work as a whole. I'd want to function most as a facilitator and refiner, but I feel this role is incredibly difficult to demonstrate and sell.

You need to write original material and make a name for yourself that way in order to get work doing rewrites. The short reason why is there are plenty of accomplished, proven writers willing to do rewrite work and so they will be hired before you always. The way to get hired instead of them? Become one of them.

Source: I am a professional screenwriter taking these jobs you want.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

I'll work up an effortpost on it then.

In the meantime I though together a <1500 word scene in screen(ish) formatting for the latest thunderdome prompt.

Thunderdome conventions generally frown upon critiquing before judgement comes down (late sunday night/early sunday morning) but if anybody wants to take a look at it I think its a pretty good scene for being 14th century vampire politicking...

A second read and it was boring and hella bad.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ruckmaker posted:

You need to write original material and make a name for yourself that way in order to get work doing rewrites. The short reason why is there are plenty of accomplished, proven writers willing to do rewrite work and so they will be hired before you always. The way to get hired instead of them? Become one of them.

Source: I am a professional screenwriter taking these jobs you want.

Right, and I don't want to come off as condescending or willingly ignorant by asking if I could do your job with no writing experience. Looking into it more, do all script editors also need similar writing credentials? I am finding sources that say there's role overlap in editors being used by producers to meet studio demands/whims, like Joseph Kosinski taking two brilliantly inventive musicians and mashing their work into bland soundtrack paste. I'm interested in working in the pre-pitch period (yes, understanding this is exactly the opposite place of where the money and desire for paid outside influence is), refining or rearranging a writer's vision. Am I describing a real thing or a p bland fever dream?

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

theflyingexecutive posted:

Right, and I don't want to come off as condescending or willingly ignorant by asking if I could do your job with no writing experience. Looking into it more, do all script editors also need similar writing credentials? I am finding sources that say there's role overlap in editors being used by producers to meet studio demands/whims, like Joseph Kosinski taking two brilliantly inventive musicians and mashing their work into bland soundtrack paste. I'm interested in working in the pre-pitch period (yes, understanding this is exactly the opposite place of where the money and desire for paid outside influence is), refining or rearranging a writer's vision. Am I describing a real thing or a p bland fever dream?

If you want to do rewrites, you have to have the writing credentials. If you want to refine a writer's vision before the pitch portion, then you want to be a manager.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

WISE FROM YO GWAVE

I have a formatting question! I'm trying to gracefully transition to 10 years later (where we'll meet the same character grown up) without using titles. In my head you tilt up to the clouds, hear the ticking of a scoreboard counting down then come back down to see said scoreboard. But how to convey that? This is what I got so far:

Finn looks at the robot. Its compartment, with the "F+S" in her handwriting, sways closed with the wailing wind. He looks up at the gray clouds.

FADE TO

EXT. SCHOOL YARD - DAY
A digital clock on a rickety scoreboard reads 00:12 and ticks down. A huge jock in sport armor sprints with a football.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I'd include something in the scene heading

EXT. SCHOOL YARD - YEARS LATER - DAY

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's an idea, but I was hoping to convey the idea of time passing when you see the character again in a few lines.

How about:

Finn looks at the robot. Its compartment, with the "F+S" in her handwriting, sways closed with the wailing wind. He looks up at the

FADE TO

EXT. SCHOOL YARD - DAY
gray clouds.

A digital clock on a rickety scoreboard reads 00:12 and ticks down. A huge jock in sport armor sprints with a football.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

For the scene header, I'd be explicit and say EXT. SCHOOL YARD - YEARS LATER - DAY (that's for the director/producers, not the audience)

But in the scene itself, the cheat I'd use to convey it is advertising on the scoreboard. Scoreboard sponsored by Jack's Robot Parts Grand Opening (or Now Open) something like that. Pan up to sky, back to scoreboard that reads Jack's Robot Parts Celebrating 10 Years in Shelbyville. A brand new sign changing to an aged one will help sell it too.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah, that's a good idea, but this is the first time you see the scoreboard (it's a new location).

Another question: the first several pages have the two characters as kids, then there's a time jump and they're teens. I've just called them the same names throughout.

When we see them as teens I explicitly say

"Sophie removes her helmet and slams it down. Now 18, she's tall and lean, with her matted pink hair in a bob."

You know it's the same character, but should I label YOUNG SOPHIE then switch to SOPHIE? It seems like you wouldn't be confused cos you don't see them as kids again and adding the YOUNG part makes it obvious a time jump is coming up, which kinda ruins the reading.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Let's say you have a scene in an apartment, but action takes place within a few different rooms...

Is it OK to just have...

INT. STALIN'S APARTMENT - DAWN

STALIN walks into the hallway towards the bathroom and goes in.

He closes the door and takes a leak.

Stalin washes his hands and then walks into the hallway again, heading towards the kitchen.

Once inside, he opens the fridge and takes out a bottle of vodka.

instead of separating each room with its own location header?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm pretty sure you should list them all separately so that production knows what locations they need. Like if you say apartment then do they need to shoot in the whole apartment or just a kitchen? It's good to know. You'd have to do

INT. STALIN'S APARTMENT/KITCHEN - DAY

etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Yeah, I would probably list them all separately under most circumstances, but I have seen it done where the new room is on an abbreviated slug line too. Like so...

INT. STALIN'S APARTMENT - DAY

Stalin enters the apartment anxious and moaning with discomfort. He drops his coat and keys on the floor and runs off to the...

BATHROOM

Stalin drops trow and hops on the commode. His eyes cross with relief. Stalin browses the forums on his cell phone while he does his business. He reads NObodyNOWHERE's post and guffaws so hard that he drops his phone in the toilet. He leaps up, pants around his ankles, and waddles out to the...

KITCHEN

Stalin fishes a rubber dishwashing glove from under the sink.

...And so on.

• Locked thread