Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Alan_Shore posted:

Rise from your grave!

Let's talk formatting. I'm writing a sci-fi film, and as expected there are spaceships in it. So here are a few questions:

1) When writing the ship's name down in the scene heading, would you use speech marks? Here is a typical example from my script:

INT. SPACESHIP "BRUCE"

Then either italicize or underline the ship's name in dialogue or action, correct?

2) Should I name every ship? For example, there's a small evil ship, but man I don't want to give it a name, so for now it's called "Angry Croissant Ship", because that what it looks like (though it's not important really). Should I just describe it as an angry croissant, give it a lame name then move on?

3) When I move back and forth between locations on the same ship, I write it like this:

INT. SPACESHIP "BRUCE"/LOUNGE
Blah blah blah

INT. SPACESHIP "BRUCE"/CORRIDOR
Blah blah blah

I think that's the most specific and least confusing, looks a bit unwieldy though. What do you think?
As always, as long as it's readable and easy to parse it shouldn't really matter. That being said:

1) No rule that you can't use quotation marks in scene headings. If "Bruce" is your main ship though (that the protags fly on for instance), I think INT. "BRUCE" - SUBSECTION is plenty enough, especially if you lead with describing "BRUCE" pretty much off the bat. And yes, for consistency's sake italicizing in dialogue in action is a good practice but not really required.

2) Well treat other ships as you would characters or enemies. Is that one important? If it's a chase scene do I need to know that our heroes are outrunning "Stallion" and "Bushwhack"? Or are they just 2 generic spaceships chasing them that'll eventually crash into some asteroids or something? And on the other side of the coin, would you not say name the enemy flagship, and describe it in detail as much as you would any other character?

3) It's all up to you but again, formatting doesn't really matter as long as it's clear where we are. I've read scripts where it takes place almost entirely on a ship so they never even bother with proper scene headings and just go like "CUT TO CIC", "CUT TO BRIDGE", etc. If you're jumping back and forth from other ships or planetside or other characters in different locations then best practice would be to keep your sluglines clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Are there any forums or online communities for screenwriting that aren't totally bad? Maybe a slack channel or something? I feel like I want to network and critique scripts but most of what I've seen, like most writing communities in general, is either really small, dead, or kinda lovely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

http://www.clickhole.com/article/hollywood-screenwriters-share-their-best-writing-t-4456

Are tents INT. or EXT:?

What about cars?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

My general rule is enclosed space = interior, but people will know what you mean either way you write, jokes from Clickhole aside.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Tents - INT

Cars INT/EXT (since how they'll usually end up getting shot, unless you have some specifics about never seeing the outside of the car)

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

Baby Babbeh posted:

Are there any forums or online communities for screenwriting that aren't totally bad? Maybe a slack channel or something? I feel like I want to network and critique scripts but most of what I've seen, like most writing communities in general, is either really small, dead, or kinda lovely.

Would also love to know this as well. Any community I've come across is subpar at best. I would definitely get involved in a slack channel or something similar.

We writers need to keep each other accountable!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was just reading on Screencraft that now you should have a TV show script in the bank as well as a movie because a lot of agents won't touch you unless you can prove you can do TV. TV/Netiflix is the bees' balls right now, but do you agree? Guess I'd better think of a poo poo hot TV prospect... *procrastinates, crying wank until unconscious*

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm the opposite right now, can't really come up with a feature length script to save my life, but I could probably slap a pilot together in a reasonable amount of time.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Alan_Shore posted:

I was just reading on Screencraft that now you should have a TV show script in the bank as well as a movie because a lot of agents won't touch you unless you can prove you can do TV. TV/Netiflix is the bees' balls right now, but do you agree? Guess I'd better think of a poo poo hot TV prospect... *procrastinates, crying wank until unconscious*

TV is where you make money these days, that's why agents want TV talents.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is it possible to write scripts anywhere and make a living? I live in Asia but would like to try my hand at screenwriting but I don't particularly want to move to the United States, I just wanted to know if it might be feasible.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I guess it's possible but very, very improbable.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Apocron posted:

Is it possible to write scripts anywhere and make a living? I live in Asia but would like to try my hand at screenwriting but I don't particularly want to move to the United States, I just wanted to know if it might be feasible.

If you can get involved in your local filmmaking scene it's... theoretically possible.

It won't be easy. If you're not fluent in the local language it'll be super difficult.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I mean could I live in Asia and sell scripts to America? Or do you have to be part of a team in the country doing things like rewrites?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Apocron posted:

I mean could I live in Asia and sell scripts to America? Or do you have to be part of a team in the country doing things like rewrites?

For television you absolutely have to be here.

For features... your agents, producers, managers, directors, etc. are going to want to sit down with you, meet you, have lunch, discuss new directions and whatnot.

A lot of people banter about the whole "with skype and email you can be anywhere and work", but I can think of very few people who live outside of NY/LA in the US who make it work (and most of them secretly have homes here/spend months at a time out here)

Asia? I can't imagine it really working out. It'd be a good time to hide out and write specs if you're eventually planning on coming out to LA/NY, but I couldn't imagine making a consistent living outside the country.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Just for someone from Canada who wants to come down, it's already a huge barrier of entry on top of a big one. At least if you live in the US you can just pack up and move to LA and chase the dream. Every day I think about it, the less likely it seems and the more likely the best that will happen is getting work locally.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

NeuroticErotica posted:

For television you absolutely have to be here.

For features... your agents, producers, managers, directors, etc. are going to want to sit down with you, meet you, have lunch, discuss new directions and whatnot.

A lot of people banter about the whole "with skype and email you can be anywhere and work", but I can think of very few people who live outside of NY/LA in the US who make it work (and most of them secretly have homes here/spend months at a time out here)

Asia? I can't imagine it really working out. It'd be a good time to hide out and write specs if you're eventually planning on coming out to LA/NY, but I couldn't imagine making a consistent living outside the country.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I guess I'll try and develop any ideas I have in novel format then.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been writing a ridiculous TV show thanks to the advice here. I have a formatting question. I've written:

They enter

INT. CAPTAIN'S OFFICE - DAY

The captain's office belongs to...

I just want a smoother way of them entering the office, instead of writing something like "They open the door and walk in." But do I need something after "they enter"? Like "they enter..." OR "they enter --" etc.? I guess it's a stylistic choice?

Also, I've been using the free Writerduet and it's pretty wonderful. I used to use CELTX but they discontinued the program and it has a fair few bugs. Writerduet has a lot of useful features, so it's worth a try!

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

Alan_Shore posted:

I've been writing a ridiculous TV show thanks to the advice here. I have a formatting question. I've written:

They enter

I just want a smoother way of them entering the office, instead of writing something like "They open the door and walk in." But do I need something after "they enter"? Like "they enter..." OR "they enter --" etc.? I guess it's a stylistic choice?

Also, I've been using the free Writerduet and it's pretty wonderful. I used to use CELTX but they discontinued the program and it has a fair few bugs. Writerduet has a lot of useful features, so it's worth a try!

Without knowing too much about how the scene is supposed to go this sounds like a stylistic choice based on how you want the scene to flow. Is it terse, leisurely, romantically charged? Those will affect your word usage.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Alan_Shore posted:

They enter

What needs to be communicated by the way they walk in? Is there a reason why they need to walk in beyond "that's how they got there"?

Just start the scene with them already in the office if it doesn't matter.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well the two cops are having a conversation, then they stroll into the captain's office where the captain starts berating them (of course). It's a TV pilot so it has to read as quick as possible! It's a comedy.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Well the two cops are having a conversation, then they stroll into the captain's office where the captain starts berating them (of course). It's a TV pilot so it has to read as quick as possible! It's a comedy.

Again, unless the act of walking in is communicating something or somehow integral to them transitioning from a private conversation to a berating, is it necessary?

Walk-and-Talk is fair game as a stylistic choice, sure. But again.. is it necessary? Is that the tone of your show and its dialogue?

Cutting from a private convo to the middle of an rear end-chewing can be funny, too. And it reads faster than an extra sentence or two.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Double-posting for example.

code:
INT. POLICE STATION -- DAY
Cop1 and Cop2 walk through hall. 

COP1
We've been crushing it lately.

COP2
We have, haven't we?

Cop1 and Cop2 confidently stride into Captain's office

CAPTAIN
I'm going to crush you.
Or replace the last action line with a scene header if you don't need to see the actors' behavior change in real-time or if you feel a cut has more comedic potential. It'll likely be shot the same way regardless so ultimately it comes down to editing.

.. Unless there's more that needs to be communicated through the action text.

Hope that makes sense.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the advice.

That example was pretty funny too!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is this an acceptable way to write a flashback? It's the same comedy TV show.

BEGIN FLASHBACK

INT. BASEMENT LAB - DAY

TERRY (V.O.)
A few days ago I was having a tea and thinking about running some blood samples on that murder case. That's when I noticed that strange button, the one that says "DO NOT PRESS. EVER".

BURGER (V.O.)
Well, what did you?

TERRY (V.O.)
I pressed it. Nothing happened. So I thought "bugger this", ripped out the wiring and followed it.

INT. POLICE HQ - DAY

TERRY (V.O.)
I followed it all around the building. It went everywhere. Like it was put in by gypsies.

PAUSE IN FLASHBACK

INT. BASEMENT LAB - DAY

CHIPS
That could be considered racist.

TERRY
It could? Sorry, I've been trying really hard recently.
He pulls out a notebook, and under the heading "THINGS THAT ARE RACIST?" adds "GYPSIES" to a long list of blunders.

CHIPS
I know, and Abdul in IT really appreciates it.

BACK TO FLASHBACK

INT. BASEMENT LAB - DAY

TERRY (V.O.)
So like I was saying, I followed the wires and it lead right back to where I started, only to the floor.

So I cleared up the pile of newspapers and dirty magazines and that's when I discovered... it.

END OF FLASHBACK

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

RISE FROM YO GWAVE

I have a question apart starting a short film with titles. You know, white text on black. Would this be OK?

FADE IN:

TITLES

Blah

Blah blah blah

Blah

END TITLES

EXT.

So I need to denote that they are three separate titles? Should I use SUPER instead of TITLES?

EDIT: Also, should I write my titles in CAPS?

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 12, 2016

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Remember, formatting doesn't have to be so strict as long as it's readable.

Personally I would do:

code:
ON BLACK, FADE/SNAP IN TITLE:

[short film title, maybe just say it's white if it's what you want]

[your dialogue. presumably with some punchline or some meaning]

FADE IN/SNAP IN
[and leave any extra instructions like holding the title past black if you plan to do a Mr. Robot-esque title drop]

EXT/INT WHATEVER
SUPER/CHYRON I've seen interchangeably. Someone can correct me if they technically mean something different though.

Titles in screenplay format I suggest just throwing into all CAPS. Putting something in all caps usually draws attention to it be it a particular object, action, etc. Just don't overuse it unless you mean it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sober posted:

Remember, formatting doesn't have to be so strict as long as it's readable.

Personally I would do:

code:
ON BLACK, FADE/SNAP IN TITLE:

[short film title, maybe just say it's white if it's what you want]

[your dialogue. presumably with some punchline or some meaning]

FADE IN/SNAP IN
[and leave any extra instructions like holding the title past black if you plan to do a Mr. Robot-esque title drop]

EXT/INT WHATEVER
SUPER/CHYRON I've seen interchangeably. Someone can correct me if they technically mean something different though.

Titles in screenplay format I suggest just throwing into all CAPS. Putting something in all caps usually draws attention to it be it a particular object, action, etc. Just don't overuse it unless you mean it.

It's not the film title, it's three cards that introduce the short film. One sentence each. Then we start the movie.

So you'd do

ON BLACK, FADE IN:

TITLE ONE

TITLE TWO

TITLE THREE

FADE IN

Although it's accepted to always start your screenplay with FADE IN right? Even on titles even if it's maybe not entirely correct.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Your script doesn't always have to start with FADE IN. It can be a variety of other things. Again, readability and establishing an interesting hook even before the picture comes up can work. If I'm understanding you right, I believe this is something around what you might want?

code:
In 1998, the U.S. Government discovered UFOs in low orbit above the deserts of Utah.

A team was sent to meet with the visitors aboard these flying spacecraft.

What happens next is based on true events...

HARD ROCK BLASTS as we...

FADE IN:

EXT. DESERT - DAY

A convoy of Jeeps rolls down the desert at high speed.		
If you're still drafting I wouldn't care too much about how exactly the final product will look in post or whatever. Or even being extremely careful with camera angles unless you want to create a specific image. Most of these things are left for later. Things change. But I'm sure those first three lines brought to you an image of what you have seen before in other films, for example.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That looks absolutely perfect to me, just what I wanted. Thanks! Still getting a handle on this whole readability vs accepted formatting thing. Screenwriting is so hard in the sense that there are all those rules that you SHOULD follow, but you don't have to if YOU think it works, but that doesn't mean the important person reading your script will agree with you and won't dump it instantly if you stray too far from accepted industry standards.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

It's not the film title, it's three cards that introduce the short film. One sentence each. Then we start the movie.

So you'd do

ON BLACK, FADE IN:

TITLE ONE

TITLE TWO

TITLE THREE

FADE IN

Although it's accepted to always start your screenplay with FADE IN right? Even on titles even if it's maybe not entirely correct.

Are you worried we're going to steal your rad logline? You should present the titles in whatever way makes them most effective and interesting. That's hard to judge when you redact all specific information from your questions.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Max22 posted:

Are you worried we're going to steal your rad logline? You should present the titles in whatever way makes them most effective and interesting. That's hard to judge when you redact all specific information from your questions.

No, I'm not worried, I just haven't written them yet but knew that I wanted to start with three titles over black. I didn't think it mattered WHAT the titles said, the formatting would remain the same (I thought!).

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
crossposted from my thread

Race Realists posted:

I thought alot about making this thread, and it might crash and burn but here goes: I'm a Film student in Georgia. I have two films under my belt, want desperately to break into the business (:lol: if you think I don't know this is an insane, impossible hill to climb) and at the very least commune with fellow goons who are in the same boat as me. The Film/Video and Cinematography thread are loving ghost towns as far as industry discussion goes.

I ask: Are there ANY goons out there working (or have worked) professionally in the film industry? Maybe share a funny story or two about being a Production Assistant? Tell us your day to day life on big budget film project you can't tell us about because embargoes :v:

... why do I get feeling I'm shouting into a void here :smith:?

if this counts as spamming let me know

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Race Realists posted:

I ask: Are there ANY goons out there working (or have worked) professionally in the film industry?

Yes. But I'm not going to post stories, and I don't think many others will either.

It's a tough, stubborn business. Takes a lot of sacrifices to stay in it. Entertaining people in a thread is not worth jeopardizing the small thing I've carved out. But I'm always happy to answer questions about the industry in the Film Business thread (or screenwriting in this particular one). Or PMs.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are there any good books/sites about adapting books? Besides the movie Adaptation, I mean.

I just read Day of the Triffids, and now I'm watching the 1962 movie. Yikes. The book is SO similar to The Walking Dead, I'm surprised it hasn't been re-made.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

magnificent7 posted:

Are there any good books/sites about adapting books? Besides the movie Adaptation, I mean.

I just read Day of the Triffids, and now I'm watching the 1962 movie. Yikes. The book is SO similar to The Walking Dead, I'm surprised it hasn't been re-made.

Jodorowky's Dune? I remember reading an article years ago about The Purple Cloud, and how that book has been interpreted and adapted so much its basically a genre of it's own. Wish I could find it again. There's also essays written by Stephen King about his movies being adapted and about how he handles rights, etc.

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

magnificent7 posted:

Are you looking for information on the business or the art of it? Because when it comes to the art of it, one of the more useful things to do is just compare and contrast books and their film adaptations. Note similarities and differences in story, character, tone. Think critically about why each choice was made and turn that same critical thinking towards the book you want to adapt. What makes the work cinematic? What makes the story worth telling in a different medium?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hotsoupdinner posted:

Are you looking for information on the business or the art of it? Because when it comes to the art of it, one of the more useful things to do is just compare and contrast books and their film adaptations. Note similarities and differences in story, character, tone. Think critically about why each choice was made and turn that same critical thinking towards the book you want to adapt. What makes the work cinematic? What makes the story worth telling in a different medium?
GREAT feedback, thanks. I've done that part, (compare, contrast book vs. film) but I was wondering if there are any common principles (rules hahah no seriously) when approaching an adaptation.

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

magnificent7 posted:

GREAT feedback, thanks. I've done that part, (compare, contrast book vs. film) but I was wondering if there are any common principles (rules hahah no seriously) when approaching an adaptation.

The only rules are don't bother adapting a book unless you own the rights and don't bother buying the rights unless you're certain you can sell the script.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
THE ARRIVAL IS REALLY GOOD and Eric Heisserer wrote some really cool stuff about how he went about making linguistics and stuff interesting and engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

THE ARRIVAL IS REALLY GOOD and Eric Heisserer wrote some really cool stuff about how he went about making linguistics and stuff interesting and engaging.

Loved the film. Met Heisserer once and he's got some great ideas that I can't wait to see more of.

• Locked thread