Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Any books on screenwriting/storytelling you guys would recommend?

I'm in a screenwriting class at my school as part of their filmmaking program and I've found that screenwriting might be my favorite aspect of the filmmaking process. Our instructor suggested "Your Screenplay Sucks" by William Aker and "The Tools of Screenwriting" by Howard and Mabley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Haha. I might get shot if I get seen on campus with a book like that. But I guess that is what I get for going to an art school in San Francisco. Majority of the other students all come from rich families and have never had to work a day in their life. So they get pissed off when ever anyone talks about making art for profit. To them, if you aren't making art for art's sake, then you are worthless.

I will totally check out that book though. Thank you for the recommendation.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm excited to read it. Ordered it earlier today. Should be here Tuesday.

poisonpill posted:

You've just described 90% of the artists in every field

Well, I feel like it's even worse at my school. I'm currently attending the San Francisco Art Institute. The school has a long history of abstract expressionism. In the last few years, their film program has been trying to add some more structure to it - which has received significant pushback from a lot of the students. It's not even like there are a ton of strict requirements. A screenwriting class. Two production/post-production classes. A couple other classes. But a lot of the students are like "THIS IS STOMPING OVER THE PROUD HISTORY OF EXPERIMENTAL FILMMAKING AT THIS SCHOOL." As if learning anything about filmmaking that might actually be beneficial in getting a job is the greatest sin.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

How do you properly convey something being inaudible?

Example: if there is a quiet room and the viewer sees characters talking, but I don't want them to actually hear the exchange. What's being said isn't important, only how they react to what's said. I just don't want the viewer to know what is said and infer it from the reaction.

Better example: boss is talking to employee. Employee is bored and fidgets. They are the only two in the room yet the bosses dialog is silent.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm in a screenwriting class right now at my art school and I've learned so loving much from this class. It's the second class on screenwriting I've taken, I took one previously as a summer course at a state university (boy that class was loving poo poo).

But the main focus of this class is the development of two 5-20 page short screenplays.

I think one of my favorite things about screenwriting is just how loving much my ideas have changed and evolved over time.

The process we have been using in this class is:
1 - Develop a premise/logline.
2 - Write 3-5 pages of character back story in 2-3 characters.
3 - Write a 3-5 page treatment.
4 - Write a vomit draft.
5 - Do class workshops/rewrites.

I've been adding in doing a scene outline after the treatment, but I've found that every time I go to do rewrites, I end up gutting/rewriting about half of my script dropping and adding complete plot points. Granted, these have only been about 10-12 page screenplays.

I'm sure I will get better and more focused on this over time, but right now I find it amusing how my scripts end up changing so much between the treatment and the first or second rewrite. Is this normal when you're a beginner?

Also, the amusing thing to me is that my wife loves reading all my writings just because she's so curious. She's a bad critic and will always say "Oh, I thought it was really good!" but the thing that makes me laugh is how she is always so shocked by how easily I'm willing to drop/change plot points.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone have any short screenplays they're willing to give up to be produced? I'm in film school and we have to do produce some shorts, but they can't be our own writing. Many are just pulling short scripts off random internet script sites, but I figured I'd turn to see if any of you have anything.

It would need to be about 4-8 pages long with 2-4 characters. Preferably in some "normal" settings.

I won't clog up the thread with conversation or back and forth on this, so if you have anything you're willing to let me work on, just send me a PM.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

We're going to be doing a casting call and casting local amateur non-SAG actors. It's a student film with our film head Chris Coppola overseeing the project.

Here is some of my past work: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1HzDB_0bI2LGJlvkKIAwiCLSo-31rZPa

It's quite amateurish, honestly, but it is mostly from my time in the military where I was the entire film crew and when I went to Boise State, where the situation was much the same. This will be my first time working with an actual crew (all classmates, but it's still more than just myself).

I totally understand if no one is willing to offer up their works, so I don't mind if we have to go grab some free public script online.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ah. I completely forgot about my posts in this thread. I was mainly looking for short projects (sub-10 minutes) that don't require much (if any) budget.

I've mostly put any work like that aside while I design and write an FMV game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Odd question that I'm not sure if anyone knows - What are the laws regarding remakes/adaptations of foreign films?

As an exercise, I wanted to try writing an English adaptation of a foreign film (the one I'm considering is a 1990's Japanese film), but would I actually be able to do anything with it? Or is it just something that I could only ever use as a practice exercise?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

How do I properly write a scene that jumps from two points of view?

Classic example - Man-A is hungry. Imagines Man-B dressed as a taco. The scene alternates showing the illusions of Man-A and the reality of Man-B.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Something Else posted:

INTERCUT: INT. KITCHEN - NIGHT / EXT. DREAM GARDEN - DAY

And (following this example) if Man-B is saying different things when dressed as a taco, how would I do that?

Say the dialog was something like this:

Man-A: I'm so hungry.
Man-B (dressed as taco): Please, eat me.
Man-A: Get in my mouth.
Man-B (normal): What the gently caress, dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

NeuroticErotica posted:

Great if you wanna be a grip.

Atlanta does have a pretty decent filmmaking scene. But yeah, more for film workers than film makers.

• Locked thread