Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Aspiring screenwriter checking in. I write on nights and weekends as I'm in Melbourne working as a journalist full-time. I'm currently writing the first draft of an action/drama flick and I've nearly finished the first act. Should have a first draft done by the end of the year.

Not sure if I'm going to get anywhere, but I figure, can't hurt to try.

I know a site was already posted, but does anyone have any good other places for finding scripts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Lando360 posted:

Hey I was wondering what everyone's work format is like? Like what you do to get ready, where you write, how you form ideas and structure and things like that.

I am a total wanna be writer but I really don't know where to start. I eventually want to have my stuff made into movies but I just don't have the motivation behind my writing. I have tons of ideas just jotted down on paper or on my ipod and they sound pretty cool when I tell them to others (Or watch them in my head) but when they ask "What happens next?" I just say, "What do you mean? I don't know, hollywood will do the rest right?" and I get left alone to my corner.

This is what I have in my head: take a story or short and build a character, give him a love interest and an obstacle/opponent/dilemma. Begin writing story arc and then finish with a "The End"

Is this right?

Also, how long does it take you to finish a draft before you start cutting it down or adding things? I have enough material to write a nice short film but idk how much time I should devote to writing per day. Should I just sit down, turn everything off and focus on my empty word document or just add to it throughout the day here and there?

This is going to sound rude, but I swear it isn't: have you ever read a screenplay?

• Locked thread