Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle
Desperately trying to breathe live into what could be a very helpful thread. What are some helpful screenwriting sites/blogs you all visit? Right now I've got two. Wordplayer.com has a huge library of themed posts on any and every screenwriting topic. Johnaugust.com, which is a bit more current and branches off topic wise. I know there's more out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

That leads me to another good question: Any Universities/Programs you all would recommend enlisting in for a good screenwriting education? I've yet to enroll in college a year after graduation and Kentucky's offerings are pretty bleak.

P.S. post your scripts and let us read them so we can give you feedback. I am bored.

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

screenwritersblues posted:

If anyone wants to read a draft of a screenplay that I completed earlier this year, send me a email: weirdnjfan1@gmail.com. I really don't want to just post it on a hosting site and post the link here, mainly because of all the lurkers who will read this. Also, in the subject line put SAgoon:user name wants to read your script so that I know who you are.

As Juanito said, post a synopsis! I'll probably read it if it ain't mystery noir stuff. I'm just past the halfway point of a feature length script so I realllly don't feel like working on it right now. Bummer.

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I got through the first 50 pages. I sent 2 pages of notes, but really you need to pick up the pace. Something needs to hook the reader, and I was never hooked. There was way too much exposition about the past. There's also something really weird where every conversation the main character has references something from 7-14 years ago. It's like he didn't exist in the time between or he was frozen in a block of ice.

I'll be sending some notes some time this week, as well. My biggest issues are:

1. Jack is a super boring main character. Not much personality so far, though to be fair I'm only 35 pages in.
2. This script has an identity crisis. Well. Kind of. It's TOO similar to Garden State/Elizabethtown. Playing Bruce Springsteen, while fine with me, does nothing to set this apart from the former title.
3. The sibling dialogue is really forced in some situations. On the nose.

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

Screenwritersblues: I promise I am going to send you an email this week. Now that I have no motivation to keep trucking through the third act of a feature length and there's been a lull in work I actually have time to write something up!

• Locked thread