Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Rogetz posted:

I'm going to be directing this myself so there might some format stuff that is a no-no in general, but it doesn't matter for this particular project. Feel free to point those parts out if you want to though. Other than that, I'll take the heaviest criticism you can muster as long as it's constructive. I want this thing to be good.

I got through five episodes. My issue is that because you're directing this, you know how everything is playing out in your head. But your script is pretty unclear and uses colorful action language when instead it should be plain and descriptive. So while you know what each scene will look like, I don't. For instance, I don't know how a jewelry store "sits vulnerably". You also have two characters "emerging" only to enter a jewelery store. I'm guessing they didn't emerge from the jewelry store then reenter it. So I'm not clear what they're emerging from?

I would definitely spend more time with the script before showing it to anyone. Some of the dialogue is cringe-worthy ("Glad we’re on the same side of the law too, this is too small a job to have to hide a pig carcass.") and I don't know how you chain smoke a cigarette in the time it takes to say 6 words. Is Moody seven feet tall? I had him pictured as pretty lank and lean until you describe him as being a foot taller than a pair of hired thugs (unless there were tiny thugs?). Your character Lars is often referred to as "kid" by strangers. Is he very young?

The more I read the less I want to read. I don't believe that your characters are real people and I haven't seen anything that isn't a cliche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Rogetz posted:

Well, that's certainly pretty harsh,

In retrospect, it really was and I apologize. As Lars seems to be the protagonist for your show, spend some time to really think about him. I think giving him a developed human side early on will really pay off. For instance, what if he's got a very young sibling that depends on him? With no real career prospects, he has to rob to provide for his little brother/sister. I also didn't like that he was ok with the torture scene. I was hoping he'd object when it got taken too far or something.

Make the audience bond with Lars or it's all for naught.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Rogetz posted:

Though some of that dialogue really is atrocious and I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote it, or let it see the light of day.

Writing is rewriting.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

screenwritersblues posted:

When his grandfather dies, a self-doubting writer returns home expecting to find inspiration for his next book and finds inspiration by rekindling the flames of a past romance.

It's kinda of an indie drama in the vein of Garden State/Elizabethtown/and various others. If that's not good enough, I will pitch it right here on the spot.

I got through the first 50 pages. I sent 2 pages of notes, but really you need to pick up the pace. Something needs to hook the reader, and I was never hooked. There was way too much exposition about the past. There's also something really weird where every conversation the main character has references something from 7-14 years ago. It's like he didn't exist in the time between or he was frozen in a block of ice.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Lando360 posted:

Hey I was wondering what everyone's work format is like? Like what you do to get ready, where you write, how you form ideas and structure and things like that.

I am a total wanna be writer but I really don't know where to start. I eventually want to have my stuff made into movies but I just don't have the motivation behind my writing. I have tons of ideas just jotted down on paper or on my ipod and they sound pretty cool when I tell them to others (Or watch them in my head) but when they ask "What happens next?" I just say, "What do you mean? I don't know, hollywood will do the rest right?" and I get left alone to my corner.

This is what I have in my head: take a story or short and build a character, give him a love interest and an obstacle/opponent/dilemma. Begin writing story arc and then finish with a "The End"

Is this right?

Also, how long does it take you to finish a draft before you start cutting it down or adding things? I have enough material to write a nice short film but idk how much time I should devote to writing per day. Should I just sit down, turn everything off and focus on my empty word document or just add to it throughout the day here and there?

If you want to write a script...then write one. The only obstacle is yourself. It sounds like your ideas are vapid and formulaic. You should prove me wrong.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Hey, look at me, ripping off George Furth again! So last year I wrote and directed a five-minute reverse-chronology short film, and I'm taking the class again and I thought I'd give that idea another shot. This time I'm being a little more ambitious, and I'm planning to use this for the longer 12-minute project.

We're Gonna Be All Right

The script runs backwards from January 26, 2011 to March 19, 2009, following the relationship of Amy and Paul from when they first move in together to when they finally move out (or vice versa). Backwards scripts are difficult because the idea is usually to end on an ironic or retrospectively bitter note, and the tough part is making the second half interesting, because instead of building up to a big confrontation it's flipped around, so the heavy dramatic scenes are usually all at the front and you have to find a way to give weight to the final, optimistic scenes, which have to otherwise rest entirely on their dramatic irony. I hope I've succeeded here.

Watched the film and read the script. I really don't see a reason for doing reverse chronology with these two stories. With your script, it's not even like the male character is reminiscing backwards about how the relationship de-evolved, because there are things that the audience sees that he doesn't. Also, it's tedious as the viewer to try to piece together the different dates and times.

If you were set on doing this, maybe you could find a way to really show a distinct change over time? Perhaps change the tone, color, lighting, etc of your film from the dark brooding times in the beginning to the beautiful flowering sunny ending. So start it in almost black and white, then gradually turn up the saturation and colors until the ending? Doing it that way, you might even be able to do away with displaying the dates and times up on the screen every scene.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

George Kaplan posted:

Here it is with a few minor changes. I perhaps ought to be more ruthless, but its getting a good response as-is.

Yeah I'm not getting that Andy is racist. Sure he might owe it to Sonny to continue their friendship or be frank that he doesn't want to ever visit the neighborhood again. But I think he's allowed to not like a place he perceives as dangerous or even the strange "nice" man who took him into an alley to practice fighting. There's also a buildup of camaraderie that never pays off.

Maybe Sonny could risk his own safety on Andy's behalf? That would make the ending snub a lot more poignant.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Lofty132 posted:

I wrote a screenplay for a short film last summer that I based on my work experiences.

The working title is Outside. It's about a guy freshly released from prison on his train home.

If anyone is interested in looking it over, I'd be very thankful.

Sure.

<username>@hotmail.com

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, I thought of that too. I don't really want to limit this to one time/place in history.

Whats your pitch for this movie? Does it follow a central character as they face obstacles and overcome them? Is it a mockumentary? I just...don't even know what you're going for here.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Mr Interweb posted:

Yes, it follows a central character. Here's a rough summary:

The story is about a man, let's just call him Bob, who goes from a mild mannered average American to being an extreme right winger after 9/11. After years and years of being fed hatred of democrats from the likes of Fox News and Limbaugh and the like, the election of Obama puts him over the edge and he feels its his patriotic duty to do what he feels the Founding Fathers would have wanted him to do: assassinate the President. The only thing stopping him is his 20 something year old democrat daughter.

From the way I wrote that summary it sounds grimmer than it actually is. It's done in the style of most parody movies like Airplane, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, etc. It has a central plot, but the movie's scattered throughout with satire on both political parties, the news media, etc.

How did you think you were going to write this in such a way that didn't name specific political parties and people? Could you do it in such a way that someone who might be offended if you name "Republicans" won't be offended if you call them something else?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Hey thread. I'm interested in producing and shooting genre short films. I have the gear and can pull together a crew. All I need are the scripts. For the immediate future I'm interested in horror/sci-fi in the sub $1,000 budget range. I'm open to the writer co-producing it as well.

PM me if interested or shoot an email to jalumibnkrayalAThotmail.com

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know if this is valuable or useful, but the guy who runs The Black List is kinda sorta opening it up to amateurs for a fee:

http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspot.com/2012/10/why-every-aspiring-writer-should-be_15.html

$25 a month to keep your screenplay in their database.
$50 to have an "industry professional" give it coverage and evaluation.

And then production companies can search the database for scripts that fit their needs. Anyway, if folks have a script they feel confident that a production company would like to read, this might be a low cost/low effort way to get it discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Sporadic posted:

And it's not much help for amateur writer since the reader only rates it according to the site metic (so no notes or anything of that nature to see what the reader thought)

On the Done Deal Pro forum the owner of the site is talking about the new service and I believe he mentions that there are notes sections where the readers are expected to offer more specific insight above and beyond the numbering system. Hopefully soon some people will offer reviews of the reviews they paid for.

• Locked thread