Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
I asked earlier in the thread about where to get scripts online and was told I could be banned for asking for illegal stuff. Just saying it to remind you that talking about unreleased scripts from studios might walk that fine line and the mods might warn you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

Maybe it was another thread in CD, I can't remember.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

Usually when I'm writing something I'm thinking what songs would work great with the scene so it's really tempting to put it in there, but like everyone has said already it's almost always a good idea not to, unless it's just going to be something like a short film that you are directing or scoring yourself or are close with the director/music guy. If you are writing a spec and it somehow gets to the stage where it might actually get produced, then you can always give music notes to the director/producer and hope to have input that way.

The reason a lot of the scripts you read online have music in them is because they are written by people who already established themselves. Charlie Kaufman spent years writing on TV staffs and I bet he didn't put music notes in during that time.

edit: This is kind of related, but I wonder if the music in My Name is Earl was written into the scripts or who decided what songs to use. Every episode seems to have at least one song that costs a shitload to get the rights to.

TheYellowFog fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 8, 2011

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

You don't even need to include pan to reveal. Just use "Katherine sits on a bench in the distance, solemnly surveying the action". By the fact that it is Katherine who is the focal point of the sentence the reader automatically puts her in their vision, no need for camera directions.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

The "Even if the side effects may include blindness" line was so bad. Imagine if that line was presented in this thread. People would be jumping down the writer's throat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

MixMasterGriff posted:

Besides the copyright issue, you're assuming everyone has seen The Breakfast Club. If someone hasn't seen it, the entire point could be lost.

Wordless things are usually better. Lady MacBeth compulsively washing her hands, for instance. It's clear that her guilt and paranoia is taking over as she does it more and more.

Try looking for more universal things, since many people might not have seen the Breakfast Club anyway.

But that's just me.
While it's good not to get too esoteric with references, cutting references out because someone might not follow them doesn't have to be the answer. If he shows a pivotal scene from the breakfast club then even people who haven't seen it will probably understand the point he is trying to make. You didn't have to see Joan of Arc to know that in Vivre Sa Vie there was a connection between the two. A more recent example is 500 days of summer; even if you haven't seen the graduate you can tell the connection between what they watch in the theatre (a nervous and unsure couple) and how it is meant to comment on Summer and Tom's relationship.

So if you are going to make a reference, make sure that it is clear what it is trying to accomplish.

• Locked thread