Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Slight tangent, but McKee's seminar is one of the coolest things you can do. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of his mandates (that said, they're usually good guidelines), but it's a great tool. I especially find it's good to take it if you're in the middle of a project -- as he speaks, you can't help but dissect your own project in meaningful ways.

Too bad it's pretty loving expensive. I'd still try to figure out a way to take it before he dies, though. There's really nothing else like it. And this is coming from someone who had a negatively biased view of McKee prior to the seminar (mostly thanks to Adaptation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I'm not familiar with Making Meaning.

Just about every studio exec I know has read Save the Cat by Blake Snyder.

Edit:

\/\/\/\/ Not giving it an endorsement. Just saying that it's a popular book.

Zypher fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 23, 2013

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I have yet to read a well-written script over 130 pages.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Which one do you recommend I read first?

I meant by an aspiring screenwriter, but, ya know, continue on.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
1) Depends on what you mean by main character. Your spec should only include series regulars. For Happy Endings, for instance, don't include Pete in your spec.

But yes, you should have all of the main cast in your spec.

2) Including Penny's boss is a bad idea. If you're going to create a character, it needs to be a one-off character like a waiter.

3) New locations are fine, but don't go overboard.

4) 25-30 is fine, but feel free to go more than 30 if you need to. I've seen half hours from repped writers clock in at 38, 39 pages. Try not to fret about page count, and focus more servicing your story.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Without knowing more about your storylines, one of them should involve Brad.

Don't include Derrick.

Story vs funny is up to you. Showcase what you're best at. Everyone reading your spec will come at it with different needs. If they're looking for setup punchline setup punchline, something that half asses it isn't going to win them over. Same thing in re: character, story, situational humor etc. Play to your strengths, and let them shine.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Yes, you can submit the same script to multiple competitions/fellowships.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Gray Ghost posted:

There's so much fantastic advice in this thread and, of course, I need even more of it.

I'm currently in the middle of writing a spec pilot for a contemporary fantasy drama series I want to pitch to a few friends. After finishing my first draft of the pilot, I'm also going to try my hand at doing a couple of other sci-fi/horror drama specs for fellowship deadlines. I have repped friends in the industry in LA who might be able to give me a leg up when I finally have something worth showing. I also have four fully fleshed out treatments/outlines for feature-length screenplays I want to write, complete with beat sheets and act analyses.

My questions pertain to both the technical writing side and the career side:

1) I'm under the impression that you have to write a "Previously on..." section prior to the beginning of the actual TV spec script (this pilot is my first attempt). I have a few TV script PDFs I'm reading, but I haven't seen an example of this yet. Does anyone have one?

2) My one finished fantasy screenplay comes from a senior class project that I did for college 8 years ago. I got some praise for it from my professor, but I always thought it was garbage. Is it worth retooling it for the sake of having another calling card?

3) I've been living in NYC for 8 years and have not been able to get a job in the biz in any sort of capacity, despite two internships, plenty of references, and ample evidence that I'm a competent worker. At 30, is it realistic to assume that I can move to LA and sell something? Is it possible to write remotely and commute to LA for pitch meetings/work when and if I win it? Ideally, I'd like to either work my way up from writer's assistant on a sci-fi drama to staff writer or sell a screenplay through my friends.

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated.

1) No. You wouldn't do that in a spec of an existing show, and you definitely don't do it on a pilot.

2) Yes-ish. It's definitely important to have as many writing samples as possible, but only if they're good. So it depends on if it's actually trash, and how much of your time it would take to salvage it. PS If you do go this route, don't date it as 8 years ago.

3) Can you move to LA at 30 and eventually sell something? Yes. I know someone who moved here at 30, started as a night PA, and just sold her first TV show to a major network in her mid-40s. I also know people who have gotten staffed within weeks of moving here. Commuting for pitches is generally a bad idea. Only established writers really can afford that luxury. You generally won't be able to secure pitches without a lot of networking, which you won't be able to do out of town.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Situation reminds me of the blog post below and the older post he links to within the blog: http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/2013/01/the-business-of-screenwriting-sometimes-you-just-have-to-say-yes-even-to-crap-projects.html

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Quiet not quite

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Phone posting -- I'd also consider just simplifying to "...when her jealous ex-boyfriend finds out."

I prefer sleeker log lines, and him playing water polo isn't gonna make or break any's decision to read the script.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Good point Magic.

You could change the structure to something like:

A quiet bookworm suffers a jealous ex-boyfriend's wrath when he tries to help his cheerleader crush do better in school.

But it still needs to be plus-ed a bit to make clear it's the bookworms crush not the ex-boyfriends crush.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Specific music cues are something that a number of professional screenwriters include in their scripts. I'm not a fan of it myself, but I wouldn't call it a major student move.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Don't think of it as insisting. We all know the actual music cue will probably be different if and when it goes into production. It's just a cheap trick to engage the reader while setting tone. It's on the same level as describing a character by saying "think Kristen Wiig." The writer isn't saying go get Kristen Wiig or else my vision for this script is ruined.

Again, I'm not crazy about the device. But using it is really not as bad as you're making it out to be. In fact, I've probably seen it used in about 1/3 of pilot scripts I've read from this season.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Honestly, specs are becoming archaic. The only real reason to write one anymore is if you're applying for a workshop or fellowship that still requires them.

No one wants to read anything but originals anymore. They're what gets you representation and they're what gets sent out for staffing. I actually worked on a show fairly recently where we specifically requested specs vs originals as writing samples, and it was like pulling teeth with agents to get a sample spec from some of their clients, if they even had one at all.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Don't capitalize every instance of a character's name. Capitalizing important props, sounds, etc is more of a stylistic choice, IMO. I've seen it at both ends of spectrum.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Smerdyakov posted:

Can you say more about this? My own experience is pretty limited, but other than marginal festivals and contests which seem more like PR stunts than actual attempts to find new writers, I haven't seen many places asking for original scripts. Again, this could be based on my own relative ignorance, so I'm genuinely curious. I don't have representation so it's likely I'm totally out of the loop, but I recently convinced myself that I need to start writing spec scripts for shows in order to get anywhere without actually filming things myself. I'd really appreciate any insight you have about what the modern portfolio of working screenwriters actually looks like.

Sure. The working screenwriters I know all have portfolios that are almost exclusively originals. And the agents, managers, and showrunners I know prefer reading originals because they're busy, have a lot of reading to do, and would rather be entertained by something new and original than read about the same characters over and over again.

Also most entry level writing positions are on new shows, not long running series (usually very little turnover, and if something opens up, they promote from within). On a new show, you're helping create the voice of the characters -- therefore, the people hiring are more interested in your ability to create characters than your ability to take a preexisting show's characters and mimic their voice.

The ideal portfolio, IMO, is to have a handful of polished original pilots and a long document of show ideas. The finished pilots serve to show competency, and your list of show ideas is your bread and butter. You would never show anyone your list (except maybe manager or agent) but it's something you mentally bring with you to every meeting you ever get. If MTV wants to do a show about mermaids, they're not going to buy your pilot you already wrote about mermaids because one small thing you wrote doesn't quite jive with the version they have in mind. But if you have an idea for a mermaid show, they sure would love to buy your idea and develop it with you.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

hotsoupdinner posted:

I have two pilot scripts that I've been polishing lately until they shine. And I have a couple "elevator pitches" for other series. Would you suggest I crack a third pilot or just cultivate more concepts?

Depends.

How similar are your pilots? Are you writing half hour comedies or hour long dramas? With dramas it helps to diversify. For example, it might be nice to have a straight drama, a fantasy/genre, and a procedural so that you can go up for a multitude of shows.

If you're writing half hour comedies, two might be enough if you're confident in them. Your time might be better spent cultivating ideas, or differentiating yourself in another way. It's tough getting staffed on comedies -- your competition is John Lutz from 30 Rock. He got hired as an entry level staff writer on a new show this fall.

How stale are your scripts? Has your entire network read them? Finishing a new script is a great excuse to reach out to your contacts (within a reasonable timeframe).

Slim Killington posted:

How do you go about getting your meetings?

Mostly through your agent/manager. They'll get information straight from the studios during staffing and pitching season that will help influence where you might meet. They'll also hear which production companies are looking to setup generals (first dates where nothing is really pitched other than yourself as a likeable person). You might scrounge up a general through your own network, but your agent/manager will have to reach out on your behalf to set it up anyway.

As for getting an agent or manager in the first place, that's the million dollarWGA minimum question.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Lucubrations posted:

Any tips on how to FIND writers? I work at a video game company and we're having a hard time finding experienced writers who play video games and can produce the kind of writing we want. Some of our best writers come from a TV background but we grabbed them from our personal networks and now that well is dry :(.

Send me a PM or email me at username @gmail.com

edit: I should clarify that I'm not advertising for myself, but rather can steer you towards professional writers that might be a good fit. If you reach out, it'd help to have some details about the project and its scope.

Zypher fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 28, 2014

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Directly is a little strong. Reader only gets half the fee.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Mid-December, on a Monday

e: here are the release dates for the last five years

12/13/10
12/12/11
12/17/12
12/16/13
12/15/14

Zypher fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 23, 2015

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Yes, they do movies. Their first release is actually in a week and a half (Chi-raq) but it was an acquisition and not fully homegrown.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I guess it's possible but very, very improbable.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Race Realists posted:

I ask: Are there ANY goons out there working (or have worked) professionally in the film industry?

Yes. But I'm not going to post stories, and I don't think many others will either.

It's a tough, stubborn business. Takes a lot of sacrifices to stay in it. Entertaining people in a thread is not worth jeopardizing the small thing I've carved out. But I'm always happy to answer questions about the industry in the Film Business thread (or screenwriting in this particular one). Or PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I'd include something in the scene heading

EXT. SCHOOL YARD - YEARS LATER - DAY

• Locked thread