Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
1. It's based on the McCall title (the original play I wrote was the unwieldly "Apocrypha on Albatross Street, a #1 girl's detective agency adventure"

2. When I heard about/saw Mystery Team, I was really scared about the same territory. But that film is 95% about them as adults dealing with trying to be kids again, so there's little crossover. (Also, bathroom scene/fake mustaches/gunplay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just got selected to do a paid rewrite! Can't say much, but it'll be a pass on dialogue (and maybe seeding a few plot points).

The best part of writing is writing an invoice.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That's perfectly valid.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Are you drafted out? Do you like every story beat? Do you know why your story is fun or exciting at a character by character level?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

John August had an article on lyrics as screenplay. If they're said by characters, italics.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

What's your log?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That would be fine. You'll always flesh out during a redraft.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Griff, your specs are only 12 pages. Tell me when you breeze through a screenplay.

And you don't NEED more than two specs, unless you're doing animation/comedy/drama.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just teasing, man. Your notes really helped my rewrite.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It's got too many words (29).

An American security analyst working in India is used as a pawn in a nuclear attack.

[This is still an odd log; we don't get the villain, and much more than the intro to the 2nd act. Who is the guy ahead of time? Who's using him? Who's helping him?]

[Also, "in Slumdog Millionaire" is odd, but I don't like single movies being used for entire cultures. It certainly says what you think it does, but I feel it's used broadly a lot of the time.]

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

"American Bollywood Extra" is a MUCH, MUCH funnier idea. I love it 100%, since instead of playing up "India is a funny country", you get to go to "India's perception of America is funny." Maybe the guy is pretty poor, but since he's American is always cast as a billionaire CEO. The tradeoff is that the humble pauper on screen is a preening diva, and the grip department has rigged the set to explode during the making-of DVD.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Put a slug: ON TV. Nearly every slacker movie has an example of them watching a meaningful film, so take a look at anything and you'll see a good way to do it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If it's gonna be more than 140 letters and you're showing it to people, invest in the old ASDFGHJ.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I just recommend "Writing Movies for Profit". Hilarious, well formatted, and by actual rich person movie writers.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Read the LOTR script, see how they use it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you don't want to put in the work to read THE biggest selling fantasy movie series of the 00's, why should I buy your script? I want a sure thing, so if Newline did it right, you have no reason to do it wrong.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Came out with my own little something for election time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbvOnKLMwtk

Take out your headphones; the audio mix spikes a bit in the middle.

Currently working on a Romcom, a few webseries. Will revisit my pilot this week (it's been a while) and pick up on a few sketches.

The irony is, when I'm working industry jobs, I almost never think about writing - after 10 hours, my brain goes home and over relaxes. My goal for the rest of the year is to strike a better balance, automating when I write.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I usually go outline (index cards) which is concurrent with a rough outline, then scene by scene outline, then draft one with my partner. Then a break, then draft two, then something larger to show outsiders.

This process takes a few months, and I'd share if we had it presentable, but we don't yet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Is "Brother Jones" black, and is his friend who refers to him as coal white?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

pastorrich posted:

Yes he is. I could make it clearer if it wasn't clear enough.

It was plenty clear.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Ask 6 people at any starbucks between huntington beach and Van Nuys, you'll get 4.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you're gonna do it for a living, make time for all of them.

Very few specs sell north of 130 pages.

A great majority of scripts submitted to readers are lovely or unusable, and shouldn't be submitted.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

First drafts will always be bad, because you're translating an entire hour and a half into 90-odd written pages.

I'm on the 10th iteration of my pilot, which started as a play I wrote a few years ago. It is almost ready; in its first version, not nearly. Not every version was a rewrite, and most of the original is in there in some way, but I had to rework the A plot and cut 35% of act two at one point. And there's more to do.

Learn to love rewriting, or you're in for a hell of a painful career.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Absolutely.

For example: West of Hollywood Way is North Hollywood, but no one outside the valley cares about this distinction.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Job websites are a CYOA method; everyone on Earth hires people in this order.
*Friends
*Same college/Friends of Friends
*Interns
*Passing dogs
*Online applicants (maybe).

Your job is to go out there every night and MEET PEOPLE. Volunteer on stuff. Join a kickball league. Meet people, meet people, meet people, and if you seem like a good sort, you'll get started.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Listen to the song.

Break it down into its various segments. Then describe what each segment makes you think visually (short, frantic, languid, steadily moving...)

Get a wider idea, and see if it can do the same "act breaks" as your song.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you're confused, add another script to your 'read' pile. Good writers have a lot of space-saving, clarity improving tips.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Screenwriting books are a great way to avoid reading screenplays, or writing screenplays. If you read 3-4, you can sidestep a writing career entirely.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Otcho: There are definitely people here who'd write you a framework for a couple hundred bucks, myself included.

Someone wants me to write for a book for their musical, and the only up-front work I did was giving them thoughtful facebook feedback. (Most of my work this month is coming to me, which is a welcome change).

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 13, 2013

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

From what the Scriptnotes podcast seems to get, the page 2 "Flashback: Two months ago" thing is way, way overused.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Ask for far more than you think it's worth to write. That way, when you get 2 months down the line and are struggling on page 46, you can hire one us to do a redraft*.

*I don't know how many people are in the WGA as of this post.

Edit: DON'T GET PAID ON FILMING. Get paid 50% commencement, 50% first draft (with additional step payments for redrafts). Assign a budget for rewriters and outside consultants.
This movie will probably not get made, but that doesn't stop you from being a paid writer.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 21, 2014

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Not Scott Pilgrim.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah. Cash in advance, we split it between the thread and write it WriterDuet from this Saturday to this Sunday.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Pay on sale is garbage. You know that deep down.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That script's off the table.

Although I finally found a director for a mini I've been working on...and have a bit of cash to pay the actors and 1 crewperson.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Specific Song by Specific Band isn't that bad. It shows specificity. If your script is good, it's more fun than "Big Band swing plays from below". And if I look up the song and like it, that's a + for you; it shows you have good taste.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you submit a script to the showrunner, it'll be incorrect - there's a lot you can't tell unless you're in the room. But that won't be the case 95% of the time, so don't worry.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

jimcunningham posted:

How the gently caress do I come up with a tagline thats not super lame and cliche?

Tagline? Well, that's just up to verbal wit. If your story isn't super lame and cliche, try and restate it, or the central problem, or central hook in as few words as possible in a twist on a common phrase.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You know the answer's both.

Say less with more. Be imaginative, deliver only key details.

Don't describe internal action unless it's actable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Unless you're Pinter, you can't overuse [BEAT].

[A PAUSE].

[He sighs.]
Or even a line break in dialogue.

• Locked thread