Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Writing Movies for Fun and Profit is the best. It tells you how to get a movie made [KEEP YOUR EXECUTIVE FROM BEING FIRED!]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

He mistyped the title. Writing Movies For Fun And Profit

It's actually a funny book about the Reno 911 guys journey in screenwriting including them getting kicked off Herbie: Fully Loaded (a picture they pitched to be rebooted) because the junior executive who was assigned to the project wanted Herbie to smile and how the remake of Taxi (which they only took to meet Luc Besson) was one of the highest rated movies ever in test screenings and how everybody in Hollywood thought they had a mega hit on their hands (until it tanked at release)

It also has a list of ALL the In-And-Outs in Southern Cal, which is a very good way to add an extra chapter to a book.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Agreed. As a represented writer but non-WGA member (as of this time), I'd love to hear what you need. AdamUltraberg @ gmail

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sounds awesome!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Lucubrations posted:

Just made another gmail account: LucubrationsSA. No need to email if you already wrote your email in the thread though...

Just got the email and responded. Very informative about the position.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

Thank you, I am pretty great.

My scripts are not, however.

Committing to churning out a script just feels a lot harder for me to do than, say, whack out a prose short story. I guess a bad prose short story can be polished and used for something eventually without having to shop it around producers and enter it into competitions and such.

A script, unlike almost any other art form, isn't a finished product. It's more a blueprint than a house.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Don't sign poo poo without a lawyer, make sure to ask "What are you working on" after a good pitch.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

I hate to ask a really loving stupid question, but what kind of answers should I want to hear? What answers are red flags?

"We have a lot of interesting stuff" is bad. "We're kicking around a carebears reboot" is good. ["We don't even want you to read the old script!" is really bad; you're another person in the Dev Hell conga-line).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If they're going to read hundreds of entries, you should give him something full. The rest is presumption.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The only one you'll need is Tom Lennon's one, Writing Movies for Profit. He's actually sold screenplays this decade, unlike 95% of screenplay writers.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There's no official rule for things. Be consistent, be concise and be readable.

For some scripts (where I had specific gags), I used LOCATIONAL slugs, then MEANWHILE, then camera direction. So something like:

quote:

Debra drives the golf cart right past Gilly, who's finally picked up the knife. We follow DEBRA...right into a sand trap.

DEBRA
Just my luck.

If I were to cut to Tim, It'd be

quote:

AT THE WEDDING CAKE,
Tim is frantically apologizing.

TIM
Baby. Lots of people believe in Polgamy. Why do you think they call it Polynesia?

If we were spending a lot of time at the sand trap, I might create another slug for it. But if you were doing a montage, you could easily:

quote:

OVER THE RECEPTION, we see a few scenes:
-*Gene at the BAR, gesturing that Debra should steal a golf cart;
*LEVAR, the caterer, sharpening a cake knife at one of those SMALL, HAND POWERED WHEELS;
*Tim, OUTSIDE THE HALL, arguing with two limo drivers.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Charlotte's web did great in that demo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Can you post some of your previous work? What locations and actors do you have access to?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Are there any themes you want to explore? Your filmmaking is competent (which for college is above average), but I didn't get a huge idea of what kind of director you want to be.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you want feedback, The Blacklist is useful. The fee goes directly to industry readers, not random internet peeps.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

So you have some clips?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sober posted:

Hmm, question in general, how does everyone feel about people who post screenwriting jobs on say Craigslist, or is this a scam (even if you can find way/they are offering to pay you)?

You'll get hosed. Anyone with any modicum of acumen can find a writer friend and not rely on strangers.

Melanie: I like your stuff, will see if I have anything that fits.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 19, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

blinkeve1826 posted:

Thank you! Looking forward to it.

To that end--what might be some good methods of connecting with (good) screenwriters locally, who might be practiced and dedicated, even if they might need a bit of polish, who are open to collaboration on new works and may already have work they want to see actors put up? I know plenty of people who write and/or call themselves writers who produce work of varying quality, but many yet with the right mix of talent, dedication and reliability whom I can see matching my own work ethic. I'm in NYC so I know they're here--it's just a matter of knowing where to look, besides film school and film festivals (which I already frequent).

Go to all the improv schools. Talk to people whose shows you like; that'd probably be a great next step. HMU next week after attending a show or two at UCB, Groundlings, IO East, or the equiv.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Send a PM, I know a few ppl who write in that range.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

How do the scripts you like do it? Star Wars, Trek, and Independence Day all have differing standards; use what you like.

Don't use loglines to be cute. Action lines are fine but don't give me INTERIOR: THE FLYING PIE - KITCHEN.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It's a tough racket now. Before you could get it with a few scripts under your belt; now, often, it's that AND a proposal process. Hollywood loves trying to get writers to work for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You'd think so, but writers are trusted to find their own editors (and to collaborate with their agents and studios.)

• Locked thread