Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

That wasn't really general advice but ok. :) Drop me an email and we can talk.

I don't have PM so shoot me an email at don't need it. and we'll either start working on a new thread or reworking the OP.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

I thought I already did? But I already have your email address so I'll try again.

If that one doesn't work try [spoiler]We're good/spoiler]. Hotmail is a little screwy at times, so I would try that one if the other doesn't work.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 21, 2012

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Hey screenwriting goons,

I'm currently looking to update the OP of this thread. I know a lot of you are involved in the writing industry or have written scripts before, so I am looking for your insight.

If anyone knows any good websites that show formatting, places to read scripts, any good books on the subject, or wants to share their insight, feel free to email me or post them here.

Anything will help make this thread better than it is.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I don't know if this is valuable or useful, but the guy who runs The Black List is kinda sorta opening it up to amateurs for a fee:

http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspot.com/2012/10/why-every-aspiring-writer-should-be_15.html

$25 a month to keep your screenplay in their database.
$50 to have an "industry professional" give it coverage and evaluation.

And then production companies can search the database for scripts that fit their needs. Anyway, if folks have a script they feel confident that a production company would like to read, this might be a low cost/low effort way to get it discovered.

I got a email yesterday and was going to sign up right away, but the lovely spec that wrote last year has be be fixed big time before I even think of giving in a shot on there. I guess that I have some work to do after November or maybe I can write new one in two months, outlining, transferring to a word doc so that I can read it, and then writing it. Then we'll see what happens.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

How's everybody's projects going?

I'm about 40 pages in the full length screenplay #3.

If you're looking for some scripts to read, the studios have released 28 (so far) for awards season.

http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/2012/12/more-2012-movie-scripts-available-online-free-and-legal-2.html

I'm about ready to start a draft 1.5 rewrite of a script that I just finished earlier this month. I say 1.5 because of the fact that I'm not happy with the way that the first turned out and want to do a total rewrite reusing some of the characters. God, I hope this works.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Hey screenwriting goons, I got a question for all of you. I am currently outlining a new script. It's going good and is basically a rewrite of another on that I wasn't happy with, so I figured why not rewrite it and call it a 1.5 draft. So anyway, I got another idea today and it's coming out pretty strong, well at least part of it anyway. I really want to start planning out this one too, but I really want to finish the one that I am currently working on. Is smart to work on two scripts at once or am I crazy for doing so?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

If it was editing or minor rewrites, outside of your normal writing time, I would tell you to go for it.

But trying to write two scripts at once is asking for trouble. Once you run into issues with one, you can escape into the other one. That's not a good thing if you're lacking that eureka moment that comes from batting around ideas when you're stuck.

The worst thing that could happen is that you'll leave a wake of unfinished screenplays behind you as you go | Juggle two scripts at once -> Fall behind on the old one -> Scrap it -> New idea -> Juggle two scripts at once (repeat forever)

Make a choice.

If the concept of the old screenplay isn't up to snuff and you're trying to rewrite it because you feel obligated to try to make it work, don't be afraid to scrap it.
If you actually believe in it, put the new idea on hold, buckle down and finish the old one. That exciting new idea will still be there when you're done.

Thank you sir. I will keep this I mind.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Otcho posted:

Hey guys, I like reading books on screenwriting when I'm not screenwriting.

Has anyone read Vorhaus' "The Comic Toolbox"? And: should I?

I normally read Syd Field's Screenwriting when I'm stuck. Everyone keeps saying that Robert McKee's Story is pretty good, but I don't see it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Hey screenwriting goons, maybe you can help me. I'm working on a different script and I like to put my loglines on top of the character page before I start writing out my treatments by hand.

I like this idea that I'm working on, but I'm having a hard time coming with a good logline for it.

Here's what I have so far:

After meeting and falling for a deaf girl, an ad executive tries to make the relationship that he wants to have with her work.

It needs a lot of work and I think that I can come up with something better. However I want a little feedback on it. Can it be better or is it good as is.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

I've read, and have practiced, approximately gently caress-all on this subject, so take this with some salt.

I feel like a logline should tell me right off the bat that there's a story to be told; at best this feels like an anecdote. You have characters, you have a goal, but you have no conflict aside from a vague "He tries to make the relationship work." I mean, you've just described 90% of all twee indie romances; the girl being deaf is a neat twist, but like Victor Vermis said, there's not enough emphasis on that (or not enough, period).

If I had to take a crack at it? (I can't read your mind so it's likely way off base, but I'm going to mask it anyway so you can remain untainted.) A media-savvy ad executive turns his life upside down courting a deaf woman. It's still a little vague but at least you get a better sense of conflict and change.

I'm going to use this, mainly because of the fact that it works for what I'm going for. Thanks.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So I started taking a screenwriting class offered through the local community college. It's a class on how to market your script too, but I'm not there for that, I'm here for the writing part. He's got us writing beat sheets this week for homework. I knew that it wasn't going to be easy, but this is crazy.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Hey fellow screenwriting goons, I recently started working on a new screenplay and I like it. However the one thing that I don't like it is the log line. Do you all think that you could help me with it.

Talk Nerdy to Me: When a quite bookworm gets the chance to get help his cheerleader crush do better in school, all hell breaks loose when her ex-boyfriend captain of the water polo finds out his real intentions.

Is there any way to improve it or is it somewhat fine.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm curious to see if anyone wants to read a beat sheet that I just finished. It's the third draft of it, I've been working on it for about a month now on and off, when the inspiration strikes me. I'm really happy with this one and I think I'm eventually going to keep writing it until one day, it hits the big screen.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

hotsoupdinner posted:

I wouldn't mind giving it a read and giving some feedback. Need to keep my story structure skills sharp.

Drop me a line at missed it and I'll send you the link. I don't really want to post it here out in the open.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 18, 2014

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Anyone remember when the Blacklist comes out? Is it the last Friday in December or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Zypher posted:

Mid-December, on a Monday

e: here are the release dates for the last five years

12/13/10
12/12/11
12/17/12
12/16/13
12/15/14