Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Any other good sources out there for scripts other than http://www.mypdfscripts.com?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

screenwritersblues posted:

:words:

Mypdfscripts is actually not bad, I found at least 10 produced screenplays I wanted to read right off the bat. Mostly I was asking because of the legal threats you mentioned, because of them Mypdfscripts had to remove every single Warner Brothers screenplay, and that's unfortunate since I really wanted to get my hands on both The Dark Knight and Inception.

Though, I can see where not being able to get your hands on this year's Black List entries would be a pain. Useful for a writer to see what is currently hot I assume.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

TheYellowFog posted:

I asked earlier in the thread about where to get scripts online and was told I could be banned for asking for illegal stuff. Just saying it to remind you that talking about unreleased scripts from studios might walk that fine line and the mods might warn you.

Good to know. Though I read this entire thread and don't remember seeing that. Guess I could have missed it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Sporadic posted:

Aaron Sorkin call for Paul Young's Love Of The Common People in the beginning sequence of The Social Network screenplay.

I was going to mention this example to you until you brought it up yourself.

I think it's one of those things where if you are just starting out, and hoping to sell your screenplay, then you probably want to stay away from that sort of directorial decision as much as possible. If you're going to direct it yourself, and can secure the rights, then go ahead, why not?

The thing is, Aaron Sorkin is Aaron Sorkin. He's a proven commodity, and can break rules (reading the TSN screenplay I noticed more than just the music thing). You'll notice though that his idea was totally left out of the film itself as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I guess my point is that if you're not a proven commodity, and are hoping to sell whatever you're writing, or even just use it as portfolio material, then I would try to be as hands-off as possible when it comes to ideas that, once production begins, would usually fall under the purview of the director. Though, If you already have a good track record in the industry, you can insert things such as those more and more, and whether they are used or not, the powers-that-be won't care as much that you have gone beyond your role.

I could be wrong, but from what I have heard and read, it seems to boil down to this.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Sporadic posted:

I didn't mean calling for a song to be played over a scene like in my two examples. This would be a specific set of vinyl records to be shown in the beginning (to set up why the character is the way he is) along with covers of two to three specific songs. I don't plan to direct it myself and there is zero chance I could get the rights to use them by myself (but we are putting the cart ahead of the horse)

What you mentioned was what I was afraid of. I couldn't find any information on whether it was ok or frowned upon but overlooked due to name value.

If music is somehow integral to the script, than I imagine that is more acceptable in most situations.

Like how would you have adapted High Fidelity without all the music that is in the book, since the book revolves around that.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I once put in an amazing use of "Gimme Shelter" for the first scene of a script I was writing having to do with Hurricane Katrina...

...then The Departed came out.

Never again. :smith:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

The song is in almost any Scorsese film, so who cares... use it if you have to.

Oh I know.

Nah. It's passe at this point, and I abandoned that script years ago.

Are there really times any of you feel, outside of it being a plot point, that you HAVE to use a certain piece of music in a screenplay?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Background noise? I don't know I usually put music in to set the mood of the scene.

Makes sense. I guess I just always thought, and that it was thought of, as presumptuous. The other issue being that unless it's something widely recognized, then a reader might miss the point entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

the Bunt posted:

"this Western shootout MUST have Ladies Night playing over it"

Making me laugh just thinking about it.

And don't get me wrong, I feel that I came off like some sort of robot that doesn't listen to music. I too make playlists depending on the mood I want while I'm writing.

• Locked thread