Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruckmaker
Aug 25, 2002

Sporadic posted:

Is 90 pages an acceptable length for a screenplay? Because I'm on 87 now and I think three pages is about all I have left in the tank.

90 pages is just fine. Assuming the script is great, being 90 pages is not going to be a problem at all for anyone. Shorter is very in fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruckmaker
Aug 25, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

I definitely recognize that there are far more competent writers competing for those big studio jobs and that I'd have no chance in even getting past the circular-file part of the application without a writing resume.

Ideally, I'd garner some sort of reputation from having worked with a large number of writers and that one or two with whom I have worked (or their friends/acquaintances) would break through into bigger-budget scenarios and bring me on as a consultant for a bigger or longer-term project. Realistically, I'd read and punch up scripts for amateur and just-above-amateur writers and pick up a couple bucks for it as circumstances permit.

What I would most like advice on is: 1. Finding people to give me scripts to develop my skills and gauge my potential in doctoring 2. How to develop a reputation/portfolio in a niche notorious for its lack of credit and recognition 3. Getting people to pay me some meager but not laughable amount of money for this in the medium-to-long-term.

I have a perception (and would like to be made aware if this view is uninformed or wrong) of the process and the industry as a whole that writing and editing are independent skills and that people who are tremendously skilled in original writing may not necessarily be as gifted in working in another author's voice and ideas and will inevitably insert their own voice and ideas into a script, to the detriment of the work as a whole. I'd want to function most as a facilitator and refiner, but I feel this role is incredibly difficult to demonstrate and sell.

You need to write original material and make a name for yourself that way in order to get work doing rewrites. The short reason why is there are plenty of accomplished, proven writers willing to do rewrite work and so they will be hired before you always. The way to get hired instead of them? Become one of them.

Source: I am a professional screenwriter taking these jobs you want.

• Locked thread