Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
I've written my first piece of comedy which is beginning some pre-production (casting and location scouting) over the weekend. It is intended to standalone as either a five minute one-off short but also as, (every finger crossed) a basic teaser for an original pilot.

It's a mockumentary about two best friends with a crappy job. The pay sucks, the boss is insane and the uniforms are tacky. They are henchmen for hire to the least effective villains in history.

The story is meant to focus more on their friendship as two semi-misfit characters who slack off at work, while the ridiculous drama of their workplace will be played off as mundane as much as possible.

I'd love to have some goons read it and let me know what they think. I've got a good feeling about it but I'm stressing about accessibility and never dabbling in comedy before. I'll shoot an email to any interested parties, its five or six pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Definitely. I had someone point out to me the Venture Bros. connection while I was writing, since I had never gotten down with the show. After watching it full through I can say that it's definitely a cross somewhere between the two examples you mentioned, possibly with characters that could be more at home in Sunny in Philly than either of the above.

Basically, if Henching is a lovely version of the army in Venture Bros, in our universe it is equivalent to a fast food job or warehouse work.

Sending it off now, quote free. Thanks.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Sporadic posted:

awesome

Thanks. You basically nailed down almost exactly what I was already feeling, except the door/window thing that was more just knowing that we're not sure yet which location we're using, so it may change.

I'm working on a rewrite at work tonight, which I guess means I'm being paid more than most writers. :rimshot:

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I'd argue for (O.S.) myself. Voice-over just reads as narration stuff to me. And you're right, you don't need to keep putting it every time. What book is that? It seems slightly outdated.

The (O.S.) format for phone calls is the only one I've come across reading screenplays by others.

• Locked thread