Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Over the last couple of months, I kind of lost my mind and wrote this. It's in script form barely. It's a big screen robot flick script. I started writing it in response to Prometheus, and the CD Prometheus thread. I just finished this tonight, so I feel like I exorcised a demon. I would really like any and all criticism.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9JHLyj_p0z0TW9YTVJuNkQ1c0U

I am formatting this in Final Draft, and would love to hear any thoughts.

edit:I'm a prick, sorry.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

wordsauce posted:

What's with all the "read more at Brainy Quotes" copypasta at the bottom?
Research. I wrote the whole thing on my phone, and at one point a character was going to say one of those, still might, I just never removed it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Otcho posted:

First screenwriting advice: invest in a keyboard. They're pretty cool - I'm using one right now!

Sorry, I've always wanted to be a writer, but can't afford it.I'm currently a full time chef and baker, so i get maybe an hour or two a day to write.Google docs is my friend.

I have a pc and will start formatting and editing on final draft, but that's gonna take a bit, due to time constraints.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 19, 2012

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

OK. Finally finished this thing. First and only draft of a big screen big budget robot flick. Please tell me how much it sucks, tia.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9JHLyj_p0z0UHRScllYREZndXM

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 11, 2012

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sporadic posted:

Saw "Inspired by the video game Mega Man" and immediately wanted to close the browser. The first suggestion would be to get rid of that. It serves no purpose and will only turn off potential readers.

From there, I remember reading this awhile back and nothing has really changed besides the page count. I appreciate the (O.S) being added but there's still the eight page opener. The giant blocks of text. The directing of the camera.

Did you take any time away from this or are you still in the afterglow?

Did you try reading the entire script outloud?

I took a month off, bought a bunch of books on script formats, character philosophies and what not. Camera directing is really only in the opening, because it needs it for the story, to me anyways. I have a few outlines, of other genres I want to try. I only formatted this one, because I needed to see it fleshed out. The previous one you saw, was mostly shorthand for myself.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

So I met a guy on Craigslist and now it looks like I'm going to be his head writer for a show he wants to do. He wants me to be in charge of almost everything including finding other writers, so my question is, how do I establish a writer's group and decide on what goes in and what doesn't?
I know barely more than he does about the writing process, and I want a healthy relationship with the other writers regardless if the ideas are used or not.

Edit: Also, in my quest to be the next Hollywood Blockbuster scribe, just finished the first draft of my second script. It's a film noir take on Men in Black, with a side of Looper. Please tell me how much time I wasted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9JHLyj_p0z0RENiNmN6b2RFZms/edit?usp=sharing

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

kicks forts posted:

I've written something with flashback scenes containing main story characters in disguise, who shouldn't be initially identifiable by the viewer, being revealed over the course of the story. I'm assuming the reader shouldn't be made to guess their identities, but am not certain on the precedent.

Hopefully that makes sense, I'm a bit frazzled tonight.

I had to take a class to figure this out, but write the script like the person already knows everything. It's not a novel, it's a map. The script is literally so everyone is on the same page. I had to rewrite my first script after figuring this out. Most people tell you to just look at other scripts, but that teaches dick all, so either get a screenwriting class or a veteran screenwriter who is patient with you.

• Locked thread